Merwin & Hulbert questions

PDA

dagger dog
May 3, 2011, 12:23 PM
A friend recently bought an original M&H 5 shot, double action pocket revolver,it has the folding hammer spur and about a 4-5 inch barrel,the grips have a dogs head embossed into the material, the roll marks on the barrel states .38 cal..

I don't have acess to the pistol or I would give a better description but my questions are, what .38 caliber round in your opinion, are the most likley that it is chambered in, and was it designed to eject the spent casings when the barrel is rotated and pulled foward, or do they have to be manually dumped, or picked from the cylinder.

thanks in advance

If you enjoyed reading about "Merwin & Hulbert questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
May 3, 2011, 12:38 PM
Caliber is .38 M&H.
It is close enough to .38 S&W for practical purposes.

It is made so that when you run the barrel and cylinder forward, the cartridges are retained at the breechface by an undercut. The empties will fall or can be shaken out, loaded rounds will be retained by the bullet reaching into the cylinder. Loading is by gate a la SAA.

If you enjoyed reading about "Merwin & Hulbert questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!