Big Annoucement! I've sold the TV rights for a book that started out on this forum.

PDA

Correia
May 3, 2011, 02:31 PM
A few years ago I self published a book called Monster Hunter International. It was written specifically for the gun-from crowd. (i.e. you guys). For those of you that don't know, it went on to do okay. :) And now, it might become a TV show.

http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/big-annoucement-ive-sold-the-rights-to-mhi-for-a-tv-show/

Yep... The little Gun Forum Book That Could has been optioned by the same folks that did The Walking Dead on AMC and Red with Bruce Willis.

Look how far we've come... A few years ago, I wrote a book inspired by a Lawdog fueled TFL thread about horror movies, written by a gun nut, for an audience of gun nuts, edited by THR mods, and filled with so much gun-nuttery that it was deemed impossible to ever be published by the regular Manhattanite publishing industry, was then self-published and sold mostly to THR forumites.

Yet, somehow, everybody else liked it too.

Here we are now, I've got 10 books under contract, a NYT bestseller, a TV deal, and I'm one of the prestigious Campbell Award finalists for best new writer... :D :D Not too shabby for a guy who was a self-published gun-hack.

Heck, I've got a book coming out in October that was LITERALLY written on The High Road as a series of posts.

I'm leaving tomorrow for a book tour around the western US for the next couple of weeks. (schedule is on my blog) Drop by, say hi, and you too can gloat with me. Take that Tradition! Gun Forum Fiction WINS!

If you enjoyed reading about "Big Annoucement! I've sold the TV rights for a book that started out on this forum." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
USAF_Vet
May 3, 2011, 02:33 PM
Wow, congrats!

Matt Smith
May 3, 2011, 02:36 PM
That's Awesome! Congratulations! I thoroughly enjoyed both Monster Hunter International and Vendetta. They were both great reads and I am anxiously awaiting further installments. Keep up the good work!

-Matt

Yo Mama
May 3, 2011, 02:36 PM
Just remember us as you hit the big time! Congrats, I'm very happy for you.

GEM
May 3, 2011, 02:37 PM
Many, many congrats and they were and are great books.

As long as it isn't Top Monster Shots or Monsterous Sons of Guns!

Just kidding - great job!

I love supernatural shows with guns!!

Glenn

kingpin008
May 3, 2011, 02:46 PM
Most Excellent! It's awesome to see someone succeed like you have - doubly so when it's all been done the hard way!

I will admit to not having read MHI yet, but I've been meaning to for pretty much ever. Perhaps I'll finally get off my butt and see what all the fuss is about...:D

saltydog452
May 3, 2011, 02:46 PM
Great. Would you autograph my FBMG STI?

Hopefully the starlet in the movie resembles the illustration on the book covers.

Two are on the shelf, Amazon has another on the way, and the other seven?

Thanks,

salty

BigG
May 3, 2011, 02:47 PM
Congrats, bud! :D

DoubleTapDrew
May 3, 2011, 02:49 PM
Awesome, I hope it gets picked up! I also got an alert today from amazon that I could preorder Monster Hunter-Alpha.

hnk45acp
May 3, 2011, 03:08 PM
Congrats, I saw that you got nominated for a Hugo award!

Tim the student
May 3, 2011, 03:09 PM
Awesome stuff. Congrats!

Standing Wolf
May 3, 2011, 03:10 PM
Well done!

Jeb21
May 3, 2011, 03:13 PM
Great news!

statelineblues
May 3, 2011, 03:22 PM
AWESOME!! Congrats!! :D:D

And please, for the love of all of us - Don't let them turn it into some sort of "Twilight" clone!! :barf:

Let us know when you'll be hitting the East Coast on your tour!

Axel Larson
May 3, 2011, 03:27 PM
Congrats. Both International and Vendetta were/are very good reads, even if they kept me up all night to find out what happened. If they do it I hope they do a good job. I always imagined Grant as Orlando Bloom;). Just always seemed to fit the rich, pretty boy character.

rcmodel
May 3, 2011, 03:39 PM
Thats great!

Too bad the screenwriters & propmasters that do the TV version won't know the first thing about guns though.

Before the book makes the big screen TV?
Your revolvers will probably have suppressors and thumb safetys on them, and hold 25 shots!

And your pump shotguns will have to be racked one-handed every time the scene changes to load them over and over again!

rc

50caliber123
May 3, 2011, 03:44 PM
I don't know about that. AMC seemed to have the gun realism down pretty good in The Walking Dead. Congats on doing well with MHI.

glock36
May 3, 2011, 03:58 PM
My hats off to you sir. Great job

ZCORR Jay
May 3, 2011, 04:10 PM
Congratulations! :cool:

seuadr
May 3, 2011, 04:27 PM
I don't know about that. AMC seemed to have the gun realism down pretty good in The Walking Dead. Congats on doing well with MHI.

ya, they do. i imagine that the same people would take the same care with this story.. at least :fingers crossed:

ms6852
May 3, 2011, 04:31 PM
Good work Larry, may your success keep on going.

oldbear
May 3, 2011, 04:33 PM
I'm always very happy to see that someones hard work pays off. Wishing you every success.

JohnBT
May 3, 2011, 04:37 PM
You got nominated for the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer?

Dang. Just dang.

Sgt_R
May 3, 2011, 04:43 PM
I enjoyed MHI and MHV. I'll keep an eye out for the TV show when it comes out. Congratulations on your success!

R

Dnaltrop
May 3, 2011, 09:59 PM
Wow!

Good luck on the book tour too!

stevek
May 3, 2011, 10:42 PM
Another congrats here! Just gave the original MHI to our last student to read...with instructions that I better get it back intact. The patch is going on my range bag, :D

DaleA
May 4, 2011, 12:46 AM
Congratulations is just trite and inadequate but thatís all Iíve got. (Guess thatís why YOUíRE the writer.)

I sure wouldnít mind if you showed off a little bit and posted a picture of all your books. Itís actually kind of inspirational.

I believe Vince Flynn, another writer I enjoy, started out by self publishing his first book.

ArfinGreebly
May 4, 2011, 02:00 AM
Wife would be thrilled to replicate your post on the NoisyRoom blog. (We already advertise your books.)

Say the word.

Good&Fruity
May 4, 2011, 02:14 AM
Wow, simply amazing. Congrats!!

mfcmb
May 4, 2011, 02:17 AM
That's great Larry! The two Monster Hunter books were the first ebooks I ever bought (after reading maybe a hundred free ebooks from the Baen Free Library and Feedbooks) and enjoyed them immensely.

Please pace yourself and don't burn out, OK?

Sam Cade
May 4, 2011, 02:46 AM
also, Congrats Larry!!

We need some MHI patches!

HorseSoldier
May 4, 2011, 03:30 AM
Very cool news. If a TV show can capture the spirit of the books, I'd be tuning in regularly.

Deus Machina
May 4, 2011, 05:30 AM
Oh heck yes.

I expect you to pay visits to the hypothetical future prop guys and firearm advisers while holding a large blunt object.

I also mean to get my hands on some MHI badges for the range bag, too.

They're such cute little penguins.

shootr
May 4, 2011, 05:34 AM
My hat's off to you - what an accomplishment!! Congratulations!

Big_E
May 4, 2011, 05:51 AM
Awesome! Congrats on the TV deal. I was hoping that MHI would become a TV series.

I see your signing dates have you in Boise, ID on May 15th. Kinda ticked about that since I will leave town a few days before. Hopefully you come back through here sometime.

On a side note, I need to finish MHV, been so sidetracked with life that I need to sit down and finish it.

Oh, and lets hope that the firearms related stuff on TV will remain mostly correct/realistic. Can't wait to see Abomination in action. Red was a pretty good movie. I have been wanting to see Walking Dead but it always skips my mind.

Best of luck!

Apple a Day
May 4, 2011, 07:13 AM
BANZAI!!!
That's great news! Congrat's!
Now WHEN ARE WE GOING TO BE ABLE TO WATCH IT?!

db_tanker
May 4, 2011, 07:29 AM
I can only hope they have the good sense to run the show at or after 9 PM so the content can be more...appropriate. :)

OR...even better...HBO. :D full hour of action AND you can get away with more special effects.

to RhinoDefense...bro you need to step back a bit and check yourself...

Dr.Rob
May 4, 2011, 10:56 AM
That is super fantastic news! Congratulations!

Red Tornado
May 4, 2011, 11:03 AM
Awesome Larry! I'd love to see a TV show/series so I could be all pissed that they missed details. :) I'll cross my fingers for AMC, FX, or HBO to pick it up.
RT

danprkr
May 4, 2011, 12:04 PM
Awesome!!!!!

jerkface11
May 4, 2011, 02:03 PM
I hope AMC or Showtime picks it up. I doubt SYFY would do a good job on it. USA might though.

First4Freedom
May 4, 2011, 02:12 PM
Congratulations friend!

saltydog452
May 4, 2011, 02:28 PM
Pre-paid a while ago when I ordered MHI 'Vendetta'.

Amazon delivered 'Magic' yesterday.

Thank you Sir.

salty

Dr.Rob
May 4, 2011, 02:52 PM
Just ordered Hard Magic, Alpha and pre-ordered Dead Six. Congrats again Larry!

Correia
May 10, 2011, 01:34 AM
Yep... There's one guy like that on every forum. For the record, I can't really rip off a thread SINCE I WROTE IT. Mike Kupari and I wrote the thread to entertain the forumites, and it is our names on the book. Jeez.

Leanwolf
May 10, 2011, 01:57 AM
Kudos, Larry! It ain't easy to write, and it is even harder to sell one's work in Hollywood, whether novels or screenplays.

Where in Boise will you be having a book signing, and at what time?? I couldn't find it here.

L.W.

wideym
May 10, 2011, 02:44 AM
I read MHI and Vendetta a week ago, they always seem to be out of stock around here until recently. Great books, I couldn't put them down.

Any collabiration with Ringo or other authors from Baen in the future?

Also I gave my brother both books and he already is looking for a grenade launcher for his Saiga-12, I'm sure his wife will give you the stink eye for that if she sees you.

Girodin
May 10, 2011, 03:09 AM
And to think I "knew" him way back when. Larry taught my Utah concealed firearm permit class.

Mac45
May 10, 2011, 03:34 AM
Congrats Larry!

1911 guy
May 10, 2011, 08:43 AM
Haven't been able to get ahold of a copy of MHI around here yet, but did pick up MHV, which I read and passed on to another sci-fi reader. I may have to hit Amazon to get MHI.

You're the second person on as many forums (that I am personaly aware of) who has shown creativity in posting and gone on to write books. Maybe a shift in how published authors get started?

In any case, congrats on the current success and here's hoping for more in the future.

ultradoc
May 10, 2011, 08:57 AM
that is totally awsome! congrats!

Sky
May 10, 2011, 09:20 AM
Good things come to good people who work hard. Super congrats!

SuperNaut
May 10, 2011, 09:44 AM
Congrats Larry!

Never thought this thread would make my ignore list larger...

Dumptruck
May 10, 2011, 03:48 PM
I have read MHI and Vendetta. Both of them are fun books meant for the gun nut audience. Good fun.

sixgunner455
May 10, 2011, 03:56 PM
Congrats, Larry! That is freaking cool.

Just realized I didn't buy Hard Magic yet. Gotta go to the store...

gatorjames85
May 10, 2011, 03:59 PM
Many congrats and good luck!

max popenker
May 10, 2011, 04:20 PM
Congrats, Larry!
I'm still undecided what i shall do (provided i have some free time) - write a fan-sub for MHI university (most probably set up in Soviet era and surroundings) or make a translation of MHi to Russian language...
I wish i could have such time on hand...

Congrats again!

Correia
May 10, 2011, 10:32 PM
The Boise signing is on Sunday at the Fairview Ave Hastings starting at 2:00.

Tomorrow night I'm at Powells in Beaverton, OR. Friday night is University bookstore in Seattle, Saturday during the day I'm at Auntie's in Spokane. Whew... I'm 4 states into a 7 state tour. I'm a little brain damaged. :)

The Monster Hunter Alpha eARC was released on the Baen page today though. :D

And actually, I am writing a series with John Ringo. It is post-apocolyptic/sci-f.

MikeNice
May 10, 2011, 11:16 PM
Larry keep up the hard work. You inspire us little guys.

shotgunjoel
May 11, 2011, 02:55 AM
Heck, I've got a book coming out in October that was LITERALLY written on The High Road as a series of posts.
When I read the title of the thread, I thought that you were referring to Dead Six, and Mr. Nightcrawler and Lorenzo. Still very good news.

Franksterm1
May 11, 2011, 10:13 PM
I'm looking forward to it

towboat_er
May 11, 2011, 10:15 PM
Hope you can talk the producer into putting some of the High Roaders in as extras.. We dont charge much.

hso
May 11, 2011, 10:22 PM
The little mod that made good!

Jim Watson
May 11, 2011, 10:33 PM
MHI was fun. MHV was, well, a sequel.

Hard Magic is GOOD!

Dryft
May 11, 2011, 10:37 PM
Congratulations! Proof positive that hard work can reap rewards. All the best to you.

Baba Louie
May 12, 2011, 12:19 AM
I just want a book about a Fuzzy Bunny... with a Machine Gun. ;)

Anyone (LC? You listening?) got any good ideas about THAT? :D

Just Finished Hard Magic. Need more. Only have 3 Correia's and a bunch of WEB Griffins, not to mention too many Louis L'Amours and R.A.H. tomes. You are writing while on tour... yes? No?

Kudos on the TV thing. How does that work? I mean, do they offer you $50 and you counter with $1M and then the haggling begins? Like buying a slightly used gun from someone you know or someone you don't know? Different rules... sorta. I don't want to know how much moola, just the set up, negotiations and the closing of the deal sorta rigamarole.

You know, just in case I ever write a NYT best selling Sci-Fi novel or something... :rolleyes:

Congratulations Sir. A whole lot of hard work pays off. And now the forced travel. You poor poor man. :neener:

foghornl
May 12, 2011, 09:02 AM
WOOOOOO!! HOOOOOO!!

When you tour the "Mid-West" i.e. Ohio, I'm in for the tour/book signing, etc..

let us know when the book hits the "Small Screen" (TV) or the Big Screen...will HAVE to see it

sidheshooter
May 12, 2011, 01:20 PM
I will see you at Aunties!

leadcounsel
May 12, 2011, 11:22 PM
A hearty Congrats!!!!

Sky
April 24, 2012, 11:11 PM
Any update on when the series will be broadcast or what network?

BerettaBob
April 25, 2012, 02:48 AM
^ +1

303tom
April 25, 2012, 10:30 AM
Big Announcement! I've sold the TV rights for a book that started out on this forum.

Congratulations......................Do we get a cut.....LOL......:cool:

CharlieDeltaJuliet
April 25, 2012, 10:32 AM
That is freaking cool. Congratulations

Vector
April 25, 2012, 10:35 AM
:cool:

metalart
April 25, 2012, 10:36 AM
wow! That is awesome!

Correia
April 26, 2012, 06:10 PM
Nothing new yet. They've still got the option, but no decision on whether or not to go into production. (as far as I know). So in the meantime I get paid basically to do nothing. :)

gspn
April 26, 2012, 06:40 PM
Congrats! How did you first get published?

dprice3844444
April 26, 2012, 06:57 PM
what's our cut gonna be?

Sky
April 26, 2012, 07:09 PM
Nothing new yet. They've still got the option, but no decision on whether or not to go into production. (as far as I know). So in the meantime I get paid basically to do nothing.

If they pull their head out and start production give us a thumbs up please!!

LAK
April 27, 2012, 03:27 AM
Belated congratulations. Well done!

Correia
April 30, 2012, 05:31 PM
gspn, I originally self published. I promoted it online and most of my initial sales were to THR members. :) It did really, shockingly good, and a big indy bookdealer recommended me to Baen. They picked me up, my books have done really well, and now I've got 7 books out and 18 more under contract.

Dr T
April 30, 2012, 05:54 PM
Just think: If the TV show actually goes, then you can do your own line of botique t-shirts and tannerite target--perhaps not both at the same time...

Walkalong
April 30, 2012, 07:11 PM
Congratulations!

Cosmoline
April 30, 2012, 07:38 PM
I think I was a nay-sayer on this whole scheme early on, so it just goes to show us pessimists.

we are not amused
May 3, 2012, 07:35 PM
Somebody on this forum turned me on to your books a few months ago, and I haven't been able to put them down since.

Glad to know you have a bunch more on contact, because I intend to buy them!

Can't wait for Legion to come.

hso
May 4, 2012, 01:52 PM
Larry's our own little engine that could!:cool:

FourTeeFive
May 4, 2012, 01:55 PM
Great to see your continued success!

Ryanxia
May 4, 2012, 02:08 PM
Wow 18 more under contract that's great. I'm half way through the Alpha MHI book and really like it. I like more of the monster hunting aspect than the outer worldy beings, etc.

zeos
May 4, 2012, 03:33 PM
So when should "You Suck and We Hate You: The H and K Story" hit theaters?

FourTeeFive
May 4, 2012, 03:40 PM
So when should "You Suck and We Hate You: The H and K Story" hit theaters?

Right after "The Saiga Saga" and "Manufacturing Magazines; Just Say No" come out.

mdauben
May 4, 2012, 03:52 PM
Congratulations, Larry!

It should be great fun "watching" that book on TV! :D

lotus
May 4, 2012, 06:09 PM
Mega congrats Larry!

mr_dove
May 5, 2012, 04:13 PM
Hopefully we'll see something being produced soon. I've read all of the Monster Hunter books as well as Hard Magic and enjoyed them.

tomrkba
May 5, 2012, 04:26 PM
So are you going to be able to maintain the story's integrity? Will you be able to give the nod on gun handling and sound effects? There's nothing worse than hearing a revolver sound when a Glock is pulled out.

threefeathers
May 6, 2012, 03:27 AM
Congratulations, well done, I'm proud of you.

BBQLS1
May 6, 2012, 05:35 AM
That's awesome.

Liberty1776
May 7, 2012, 02:00 PM
Hey Larry - just finished Monster Hunter Alpha yesterday. That's your best yet!
I'm glad you got away from the impossibility of the Old Ones and inter-dimensional bombs stuff back to the good, solid reality of werewolves and bullets... :D

KnightHawk67
May 7, 2012, 03:10 PM
Heh, I would love to see that first scene in MHI between an unarmed Z and the werewolf on film. That would be epic if done correctly.

Wolfebyte
May 7, 2012, 04:13 PM
Congrats to you Sir!!!

I've enjoyed everyone of the books!

sansone
May 7, 2012, 04:17 PM
congrats buddy

geim druth
May 7, 2012, 10:00 PM
Congratulations! Your books are great. I'll have to try and wrestle the remote away from my wife and kids.

Stevie-Ray
May 7, 2012, 10:41 PM
Somehow, I missed this the first time around. Well done, Larry, may you be plagued with success!;)

TonyAngel
May 8, 2012, 03:28 AM
Wait, you're THE Larry Correia? I feel like a complete dope. I've somehow missed all of this on THR. I'll go beat my head against a wall later.

I've read all of the Monster Hunters and both of the Grimnoir books. I'm a big fan. Thanks for all of the entertainment. My only problem is finding other books to kill time while waiting for the next one to come out.

I'd also highly recommend the audiobooks. Good fun to listen to if you drive a lot. I've often found myself getting to where I need to be and wind up walking in late, because I was sitting in my car waiting for a good place to pause.

mfcmb
May 8, 2012, 03:39 AM
I enjoy your books and I think it's cool that your writing career started here. Best of luck going forward.

FourTeeFive
May 8, 2012, 03:41 AM
I enjoyed your magazines! Just not the printed kind.

And your books.

And to think we knew you back when you were that Fuzzy Bunny guy.

seeker_two
May 8, 2012, 08:45 AM
Congratulations!....looking forward to the production....& the next book....

Correia
May 8, 2012, 04:22 PM
So are you going to be able to maintain the story's integrity? Will you be able to give the nod on gun handling and sound effects? There's nothing worse than hearing a revolver sound when a Glock is pulled out.

In Hollywood, I have about as much authority as the guy that gets the doughnuts. :)

writerinmo
May 9, 2012, 10:07 PM
Well, I figured I'd see what the hoopla is about and ordered a copy of the first book, not sure when in the heck I'll find time to read it but around this house if I leave it lying around I'm sure someone will!

Ryanxia
May 10, 2012, 03:41 PM
Larry, Suzanne Collins author of the Hunger Games I believe was on set and had authority when doing her movie, of course perhaps she made that stipulation before she signed the rights over... In that case never mind :D

kansasfox
May 16, 2012, 09:57 PM
You have my sincere Congratulations on your TV deal. I've read all of your books,both the Monster Hunter series and the Grimnoir books. I hope they all make it to the "big screens"!
Pure entertainment! Creative action packed storylines with well developed characters~~~the whole package! I guess you could say I'm a big fan :)

writerinmo
May 16, 2012, 11:36 PM
Well, my copy of Monster Hunter International arrived in the mail yesterday. Started reading it after dinner last night.

Finished it around 2 AM...

Ordered the other ones through Walmarts website this afternoon.:cool:

Correia
May 17, 2012, 11:45 AM
Larry, Suzanne Collins author of the Hunger Games I believe was on set and had authority when doing her movie, of course perhaps she made that stipulation before she signed the rights over... In that case never mind

Well, it does help that she has sold like a hundred times more books than I have. I'll be lucky if I'm allowed on set, and I'm fairly sure they won't let me eat any of the cast doughnuts. :D

CSestp
May 17, 2012, 12:09 PM
Sounds like brag'n to me... well deserved brag'n too. Congrats bro.

Leanwolf
May 19, 2012, 02:39 AM
RYANXIA - "Larry, Suzanne Collins author of the Hunger Games I believe was on set and had authority when doing her movie, of course perhaps she made that stipulation before she signed the rights over..."

There was a great deal more to Collins being on the set than that, plus it is extremely rare for a screenwriter or novelist to have such a clause in his or her contract. Nevertheless, some directors are not opposed to the writer being on the set, while others forbid it. Depends on the director.

Suzzane Collins was a successful screenwriter before she wrote the novels which became " Hunger Games" She wrote the first screenplay, an adaptation, before Gary Ross, director and screenwriter, called in Billy Ray, another A-list, successful screenwriter to do a rewrite. Collins, Ray, and Ross, all collaborated on writing the final screenplay, and while Ross was directing, both Collins and Ray were on the set anytime they wanted to be. Also, Ross would consult with them regarding any needed changes that were required.

That's how it is in Hollywood. :cool:

L.W.

max popenker
July 4, 2012, 08:49 AM
Larry, you owe me at least two nights worth of sleep, with your MHI4 ;)

I'm still in the middle of it, but enjoy reading it as much as previous three MHI books

and, for those unaware, Baen sells (http://www.baenebooks.com/p-1672-monster-hunter-legion-earc.aspx) un-proofed "advanced reader copy" e-book of the MHI 4 for $15
It took me about 5 minutes to pay online and get it loaded into my smartassphone, to read whenever i have a free minute.

good job, as usual

italy4nra
July 4, 2012, 04:47 PM
Congratulations Larry! You should be super proud! Excellent.

Kevin Rohrer
July 5, 2012, 09:26 PM
You need to bring the MHI books to the Kindle and/or iTunes store.

limpingbear
July 5, 2012, 09:41 PM
Any idea who they might be casting for the show? I brought my copies with me when I moved to Reno, now my buddy is hooked on MHI.....Ive got book 4 on order.
Congrats!

max popenker
July 6, 2012, 07:58 AM
Kevin, Baen books sells various e-versions of Larry's books, including Kindle and Nook formats, plus simple RTF text (which I prefer to use in my Android phone with Cool Reader app)

If you enjoyed reading about "Big Annoucement! I've sold the TV rights for a book that started out on this forum." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!