who to believe

PDA

willymc
May 3, 2011, 06:08 PM
Got some 90 grain Speer Gold Dots for my .380. Loading with Bullseye. Lyman #49 says with the Sierra 90 gr, jhp, 2.9 grains Bullseye max and a minimum OAL of .925. Lee #2 says with a 90gr jacketed bullet its 3 grains Bullseye and .960 minimum OAL. Alliant Powders booklet says, for the Gold Dots, 3.4 grains Bullseye max and minimum OAL .970. I loaded up a dummy round for a fit test with the Gold Dot. The longest AOL I could get to rotate freely was .961. I loaded up a few with 3.2 grains of Bullseye at .961 OAL to function test. All went OK. No signs of over pressure. Any one see a problem with this load?

If you enjoyed reading about "who to believe" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MtnCreek
May 3, 2011, 06:18 PM
I guess not, but it sounds like you're starting off with max or near max charge weight. Bullseye is a fast burner and you can get into trouble w/ small variations. I would have used the data w/ the closest OAL to what my firearm would function and use the starting charge charge. Hollow points w/ small capisity cases can be tricky. Hollow point projectile design (shape, size of cavity) varies greatly between manufacturers. Be careful.

LightningMan
May 3, 2011, 08:40 PM
FWIW, IMO I'd use PowerPistol for those GoldDots. PowerPistol is my favorite powder for JHP bullets in the .380 cal. and 9mm. LM

willymc
May 3, 2011, 08:46 PM
I'll probably use Power Pistol. I picked up some recently. Just curious about the differences in minimum OAL.

gamestalker
May 3, 2011, 09:19 PM
Even if your a little on the high side with the powder charge your OK. As long as the pressure signs are indicative of such. I've got data that shows 3.4 grs. of Bullseye with that Gold Dot. I honestly think Power Pistol or Unique would better serve the purpose though. Velocity is better, and your pressures are going to be just as good, maybe even a tad lower.
4.8 grs. with either one of those two is a compressed charge and will deliver over 1000 fps estimated velocity compared to 981 fps with the Bullseye. .970" OAL is listed but as we all know seating to what your gun will accept is the only correct OAL.

918v
May 3, 2011, 09:53 PM
You should believe the bullet manufacturer.

bds
May 3, 2011, 10:54 PM
2004 Alliant load data (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCUQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fglarp.atk.com%2F2004%2F2004Catalogs%2F2004AlliantPowderSM.pdf&rct=j&q=2004%20alliant%20load%20data&ei=-bPATbPoHIbbiAK16KGfAw&usg=AFQjCNHnWLp5LTU0YIrdLKjtAjtiKft_jg&cad=rja) listed 3.0 gr as max for 90 gr JHP at .960" OAL.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=141608&stc=1&d=1304474482

amandab
May 3, 2011, 11:04 PM
Hmmmm ... I didn't see Speer manual listed in OP, just Lyman #49 and Lee #2 along with Alliant load data.
Alliant and Speer are like GM and chevy.

willymc
May 3, 2011, 11:48 PM
My Speer #10 didn't have Gold Dots or any other 90 grain JHP. Still wondering why the big difference in minimum OAL:confused:.

MtnCreek
May 4, 2011, 10:15 AM
Probably bullet shape. The three loads that you listed are 90gr JHP, 90gr Jacketed Bullet and 90gr GoldDot. Check your Lyman book and see which JHP they used. The Lee book doesn't seem to say HP and is typically generic, the GoldDot data you have won't fit your firearm. Check out Lyman's seating depth w/ a max of 2.9 vs Alliant's seating depth w/ a max of 3.4.

JHP's can vary greatly in shape, mostly due to the size/design of the hollow point; for this reason seating depth for brand x JHP may seat at .960 and brand y seats at .970 in the same firearm. FMJ data and JHP data will vary even more.

amlevin
May 5, 2011, 07:44 PM
What is the barrel length. I like Power Pistol too but I find it too slow burning for shorter barrels. For my 9mm loads it works best in 4" or longer barrels. I'd stick to a faster powder as the Power Pistol will just be a bigger "flamethrower" in a short barrel.

Steve C
May 7, 2011, 04:24 PM
Alliant and Speer are owned by the same Corporation and the current on line Alliant data is an exact duplicate of the Speer Manuals data. Your load of 3.2grs is fine, a bit over the start load which should have been 10% less than the 3.4gr max for 3.0 to 3.1grs.

Factory 90gr GDHP loads are listed as doing 990 fps. According to Speer 13 a load of 3.4grs of Bullseye will give you a MV of 981 fps and a 3.0gr load will do 885 out of a Walther PP with 3.8" barrel.

Power Pistol is a great powder for the 9mm but is just past the optimal burn rate for maximizing velocity in the .380. Speer manual lists AA#2, W231, and Unique as producing velocities greater than 1,030 fps with maximum loads. PP does 1,020 with a compressed load. Unique is also a compressed load.

If you enjoyed reading about "who to believe" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!