Just bought a Springfield WW2 Mil-Spec

PDA

dsk
January 13, 2004, 01:16 AM
I just picked up one of these in my seemingly never-ending quest for a reliable yet inexpensive "beater" 1911. I think I may have finally found it, as this is a LOT of gun for only $374.99 + tax. In fact, if it proves reliable I think it's going to be pretty sad, considering a lot of folks here own $1000+ 1911s that had trouble running at first. Looking through it tonight it appears very well-machined, with a nice throat job, excellent finish, and most surprisingly a tuned extractor! :eek:

The trigger pull is a bit heavy and gritty however, and the barrel & bushing fit is GI-ish at best. Out of the box I won't expect stellar accuracy, but it should be a reliable bullet-thrower which is what counts.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just bought a Springfield WW2 Mil-Spec" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tamara
January 13, 2004, 01:19 AM
I think I may have finally found it, as this is a LOT of gun for only $374.99 + tax.

That's a darn good deal; about wholesale from Accusport or Davidson's... :eek:

Frenchy
January 13, 2004, 01:31 AM
Ya finally got one, did ya! :)

sarge48
January 13, 2004, 02:42 AM
Love mine. Almost my favorite pistol.

dsk
January 13, 2004, 03:04 AM
That's a darn good deal; about wholesale from Accusport or Davidson's... :eek:

Agreed, I don't know how they're doing it. The quality's too good to be the result of prison or child labor, so either they're selling them at no margin to get them on the streets or there's a lot more profit in making 1911's than anyone's willing to admit. :scrutiny:

Kestrel
January 13, 2004, 03:10 AM
dsk,

Does this model have a pinned ejector?

Steve

Slowhand
January 13, 2004, 07:19 AM
That's a good deal, I paid a little over $400 for mine. I am also happy with the piece. Reliable, decently assembled, and fairly authentic. I wanted a plain jane 1911 to compliment my other guns. Amazingly good deal, especially for the price you paid.

dsk
January 14, 2004, 02:58 AM
dsk,

Does this model have a pinned ejector?

Steve

My pistol does indeed have a pinned (not glued-in) ejector. Good to see they aren't taking that shortcut anymore.

Kestrel
January 14, 2004, 03:13 AM
dsk,

I'm glad to hear that. Actually, I think SA is still doing the glued ejector, they just don't do it on the custom shop models, nor this model, for some reason.

Steve

WonderNine
January 14, 2004, 03:51 AM
Do the MS's have any MIM parts these days? You know me and MIM parts....:D

I recall reading a thread a couple of months back on 1911forum.com regarding removing the trigger grit from mil specs...

Also did it come with that safety thingy in the mainspring housing?

Please report back with your reliability assessment when you get a chance to shoot it a bit! :cool: :cool: :cool:

dsk
January 14, 2004, 07:07 AM
The ILS housing is present. However I may just leave it in as it's easily ignored.

People tell me that SA's have MIM parts, but to be honest the ones in mine don't look like MIM. Normally they will have a "glazed" appearance, softened edges, and/or a sprue mark somewhere. Instead the small parts in my pistol all look like they're either cast or barstock. Before somebody says "yeah, right" remember these guns are supposedly completely machined and assembled in Brazil, where like the Chinese Norinco 1911A1 it may indeed be possible to make a cheap gun with barstock parts. I am curious to know the truth, however.

Blackcloud6
January 14, 2004, 09:07 AM
I bought one two months ago and had it to the range one time. It works great and so far seems to be reliable. I'm sure its more accurate than I am. Very happy with my purchase.

diyj98
January 14, 2004, 04:55 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I may have finally found it, as this is a LOT of gun for only $374.99 + tax.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's a darn good deal; about wholesale from Accusport or Davidson's... "

Those guys are too high! Davidsons was about $45.00 higher on my stainless commander than several other wholesalers. I'm finding the Mil Spec Springfield for $334.00 wholesale. Either way though, he defiantely got a good deal. :)

silent one
January 14, 2004, 07:15 PM
Dsk,
This is probably the best deal out there for a .45 that I know of. I posted a thread on this sight recently under the heading of ''got a new Springfield mil- spec today'' if you want to check out my range reports. I am throughly happy with the firearm. I've run 400 rounds through it without a single problem of any kind.
Good luck with your Springer. I hope you like yours as much as I do mine.
By the way, I just got my copy of Shotgun News in the mail today and on the cover it has a picture of 4 Springfields under the heading of''Springfield Mil- Spec: the no frills 1911 is back''. I haven't had a chance to read the article yet, but it should be informative.
Good Luck and be safe

SILENT ONE

WalkerTexasRanger
January 14, 2004, 08:01 PM
I, too, bought one recently. Paid $350 here at the last funshow. I thought it was the best buy I have seen in years. Once to the range so far, shot 200 rounds of 230 grain UMC and 180 grain Win and it functioned perfectly with both.

I dont know much about 1911s, this is the first, but it ROCKS!!!

Good shooting!!!!

Kestrel
January 14, 2004, 09:38 PM
dsk,

I looked at a Mil-Spec today and it had a pinned ejector. Maybe SA is going back to that on all of them...

By the way, are you saying the WWII models are completely made and assembled in Brazil? I didn't know that.

What are all the differences in the WWII and the Mil-Spec? I know the sights and ejection ports are different.

Thanks,
Steve

Nightcrawler
January 14, 2004, 09:51 PM
The "WWII Mil-Spec" has vertical slide serrations, whereas every other Springfield has angled ones.

Kestrel
January 15, 2004, 01:53 PM
Well, I spoke to SA today. It seems that some of the Mil-Spec and WWII guns are put together in Brazil if they get backed up here in the US. She said if they are put together in Brazil, they get pinned ejectors, if they are put together in the US, they get the Locktited ejectors. She also said the Brazil guns used MIM parts as well.

Steve

gwalchmai
January 15, 2004, 02:01 PM
I got one a month ago at a gun show in Atlanta for $369 + tax. I've put 700 rounds through it without a hitch.

The safety's really stiff though. Have y'all noticed that on yours?

Mike Irwin
January 15, 2004, 03:17 PM
I got mine, used, but unfired, for $275 about 5 years ago. :)

And you're right, it's a tremendous amount of gun.

Trigger
January 15, 2004, 04:11 PM
In fact, if it proves reliable I think it's going to be pretty sad, considering a lot of folks here own $1000+ 1911s that had trouble running at first.

No it'll just go to show us that again, the time proven design of the milspec 1911 is best left alone. LOL

Sean Smith
January 15, 2004, 04:28 PM
dsk,

Why don't you use one of your Colts you like so much as a "beater"? Wait, I answered my own question. :evil:

Interestingly enough, the only non-Colt gun that Ted Yost will build his 1* custom guns on is the blued SA Milspec.

dsk
January 16, 2004, 01:33 AM
I'm not sure I buy the Springfield lady's story. In Brazil it'd probably be cheaper to use cast components, as the molds for MIM are expensive. The factory where the parts are made has been making guns for awhile, and I just don't see them modernizing with MIM manufacturing equipment. Also, to build some guns in the USA but others in Brazil "when they get backed up", especially when just about every new SA says "Imbel, Brazil" on the dust cover sounds like a BS story for sure. I e-mailed Springfield, and my respose from the lady who wrote back (probably the same one as above) said she'd gladly pass on any technical question I had. In other words, I suspect they tell her, then what goes in the ear changes by the time it comes back out the mouth. Not trying to criticize her, but I know how information that's passed on gets all twisted around.

tex_n_cal
January 16, 2004, 01:41 AM
I have one of the Mil-Spec SA .38 Supers. Yes I know there is nothing remotely mil-spec about a Super with a ramped barrel, white dot sights, and angled slide cuts, but hey, it was a cheap Super. :)

It runs very well, whether shooting light loads, full power, or even fire breathing 9x23's (with its 9x23 barrel). :)

dsk, how is the slide to frame fit? I have seen some like mine that have the right amount of slop, but others that seemed too tight.

I may yet add a .45 SA, if I can't find myself a reasonably priced Sistema.

Kestrel
January 16, 2004, 02:00 AM
... don't know. But you can call her - Debbie in the Custom Shop.

silent one
January 16, 2004, 02:22 PM
Say all,
I wanted to research a little before I bought my Springfield Mil- Spec, so I called their 800 # and spoke to a very nice lady named Theresa in customer service. She informed me that the frames and slides were forged at Imbel in Brazil. Then Imbel sent what amounted to blank frames and slides to Springfield in the raw for final machineing and finishing. She seemed very knowledgable and answered my questions directly and professionally. Sometimes when you call a manufacturer you get someone who doesn't know, or they put you on hold for an eternity only to come back and tell you the person who knows isn't there, or some other lame excuse. Not so with this gal, she had the answers, and that impressed me. Needless to say, I bought one of their Mil-Spec .45's and couldn't be happier. I was so happy with it, I bought another one yesterday. The only differance in this one is it has the hi-viz sights and stainless barrel.
Springfield is definately going to raise some eye brows with this line, I can almost guarantee it.
Good luck, and Be Safe

SILENT ONE

:)

Trigger
January 16, 2004, 02:57 PM
Silent,

Thats similar to what I heard as well. Springfield definately uses forged frames and slides. They do most to the assembly in Brazil but at times, demand insists that some are final fitted in Illinois.

I'm a big fan of Springfield quality and economics. Great blend.

boss_spearman
January 16, 2004, 04:09 PM
have you WW II mil spec owners had any problems with the small sights as far as picking out targets easily?...does the higher ejection port dent case muths much?..thanks

gwalchmai
January 16, 2004, 04:12 PM
I'm OK with the sights, but yes, some of my case mouths are dented.

silent one
January 16, 2004, 04:54 PM
boss-spearman,
How's it goin? I had a little difficulty with the low mount G.I. sights. I white dotted the rear sight and coated the front one with bright orange. this works great for me. These Springers are becomming addictive, I went out and bought another one yesterday. This one has the hi- viz sights and stainless barrel. These old eyes ain't what they used to be, so the larger hi-viz sights help with sight picture and target acquisition. As I stated earlier coating the sights helped greatly.
As far as dented casings, I only saw a few out of the 400 rounds that I put through the weapon. It doesn't seem to be an issue with mine.
Good LUCK, and Be Safe.

SILENT ONE

silent one
January 16, 2004, 05:27 PM
Trigger,
How are ya. I agree with what your saying about Springfields quality and economics. I have never owned a Springfield hand gun before, but if these .45's are any indication of where they're going, they have a dedicated following here.
Have you bought one yet? If you haven't, I suggest you get one. I have this gut feeling the demand is going to be so high that the supply may dwindle and you know what that will mean. That old devil supply & demand will take effect causing higher prices. I hope this never happens but one never knows.
At any rate, Good Luck, and Be Safe

SILENT ONE

dsk
January 17, 2004, 01:12 AM
It's only a matter of time before SA raises their price on this one. I suggest folks get one while it's still an excellent bargain. I still like Colts better gun for gun, but geez..... for the price of this thing you can almost buy two for the price of one Colt! :uhoh:

silent one
January 17, 2004, 10:45 AM
Dsk,
I know what your saying. I'm mostly a Kimber shooter. I have a series 1 custom, two team match models in .38 super and .45 cal. and a TLE . they are great shooters, but when I think about it, I could have bought 10 of the Springers for what I paid for the 4 Kimbers.
I know some people would say the Kimbers are in a different class and that's what you pay for. I know what they're saying, but after shooting the Springfield I'm having some doubts. I have shot a total of 400 rounds through the springer on two recent range sessions and it never missed a beat. It's not even broken in yet and a lot of the rounds were in or near the 10 ring. I also think with a little tweaking and some sight work, this weapon will only get better. I still like my Kimbers, but for the quality and price of the Springfield and the way it performed right out of the box, It's quickly making a believer out of me. In fact I just bought my second one. This one has the larger Hi-Viz sights and stainless barrel.
goog luck, and Be Safe

SILENT ONE

PCRCCW
January 17, 2004, 12:07 PM
A store in SLC has the Mil Specs for 349$ just in case anyone is interested.
And your in UT..........:D
You have to go to the store to get that price and they sell out quick........

Shoot well..............

BHPshooter
January 17, 2004, 02:43 PM
Hey PCRCCW, what store is that? I know I shouldn't even think about buying another gun, but... I... can't... RESIST!

Wes :p

silent one
January 17, 2004, 03:35 PM
Fumegator,
I know what your sayin. I restored old Corvettes and built street rods for 35 years. I thought that was expensive. Now it's guns,guns, and more guns. It's an addiction. But what the hey, we could be doin worse things I suppose.
Good Luck and Be Safe.

SILENT ONE:rolleyes:

SapperLeader
January 17, 2004, 05:16 PM
Im seriously thinking of picking up one of these in march or april, as soon as I save up for some other stuff first. My only 1911 is a springfield loaded 9mm, and while I love it, Id like to get a milspec for my first .45 1911.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just bought a Springfield WW2 Mil-Spec" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!