Help in finding parts for a English rifle

PDA

ssparky79
May 4, 2011, 11:43 PM
Hello all my son picked up a 300 magnum made by firearms co. Alpine which in trying to research it I found you all. Any way it looks like someone tried to replace the bolt with one from a different manufacture so it is very hard to move, and I would like toget it fixed for him before he gets out odf the service so if you know of anyplace to start I would appreciate it. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Help in finding parts for a English rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
waidmann
May 5, 2011, 12:43 AM
I suppose you have figured out this is not simply a Mauser 98 action but one that was modified to accomodate the belted magnum. I believe your first stop is a qualified gunsmith. Since the Alpine was proofed in Birmingham the bolt should be so marked. You need is establish whether or not the gun has been compromised, not simply shop for parts.

rcmodel
May 5, 2011, 03:48 PM
There is about a zero chance of finding a correct matching bolt for it.
Some military Mauser 98 bolt might be converted to work, but it would not be cheap.

Your best bet is to sell the rifle in the paper and let somebody else spend more money on it then it will be worth to get it fixed.

Then take whatever you can get out of it and go buy a complete working rifle for your son.

rc

ssparky79
May 6, 2011, 09:11 PM
Thank you I was thinking the same thing about the gunsmith, so I took it to one in the area, yesterday, he was going to give it a thorough going over for me and get back to me with what he found, so thank you and I appreciate all of the help and advice.

waidmann
May 8, 2011, 08:01 PM
Take a moment and let us know what he says.

Waidmann

If you enjoyed reading about "Help in finding parts for a English rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!