Have to brag on Alaska.

PDA

jim in Anchorage
May 5, 2011, 10:41 PM
No accident I live here. "do nothing state":D

http://www.adn.com/2011/05/05/1846874/group-puts-alaska-among-do-nothing.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Have to brag on Alaska." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
earlthegoat2
May 5, 2011, 10:51 PM
The Brady List is a perfect place to see where I am going to spend time in this country. I visit it quite often for just the opposite reasons they want people to.

The lower the score, the more likely I am to visit your state.

Good job to AK, AZ, and UT for lowering the bar to a respectable level.

HorseSoldier
May 5, 2011, 11:11 PM
Nice. If what we have is "a lack of common sense gun laws" then that's about all I need to know about the Brady folks and their lack thereof.

jim in Anchorage
May 5, 2011, 11:20 PM
I think we all know what they're definition of "common sense" is.
Be lucky to have a de-milled Brown Bess if they wrote the law.

archigos
May 5, 2011, 11:28 PM
Common sense dictates that if you have to try to make your corrupt agenda sound better by prefixing it with "common sense", it simply isn't.

shotgunjoel
May 5, 2011, 11:32 PM
Be lucky to have a de-milled Brown Bess if they wrote the law.
They wouldn't allow that, the Brown Bess is a military gun that only belongs on the battlefield.

Formula94
May 5, 2011, 11:59 PM
I'm glad MN only scored a 14!

Good&Fruity
May 6, 2011, 12:22 AM
They should change their name to the Brainless Campaign to Spread Stupidity.

Loosedhorse
May 6, 2011, 12:24 AM
I am unabashedly jealous. Enjoy your freedoms.

Valkman
May 6, 2011, 12:32 AM
Nevada aint bad with 5!

AZ
May 6, 2011, 01:35 AM
We were all celebrating in Arizona after yesterdays list. Some of our state senators have actually been sending the Brady folks letters for years asking for a 0 rating, but I guess that's an honor someone has to earn;) Next year we'll be going for negative digits (and if that university/public building carry law passes that should do it!)

matt_borror
May 6, 2011, 01:49 AM
where is this list obtainable?

newbuckeye
May 6, 2011, 01:51 AM
Wahoo! Ohio is a 9!!

MachIVshooter
May 6, 2011, 01:52 AM
Stupid gunshow loophole law passed in the emotional wake of columbine doubled our score. It's the only law we have that exceeds federal.

Personally, I think we should rank better with our state preemption law and absolute prohibition on firearms databases.

talldragon
May 6, 2011, 02:10 AM
People's Democratic Republic of California........... Scored 80 or 4 Stars :what:

I am embarrassed to actually admit I live here :barf: .

It is beautiful though!

Nevada is a nice place to go shooting, BTW :) and scored a 5.

HorseSoldier
May 6, 2011, 02:10 AM

The linked Anchorage Daily News article has a direct link to the state by state listings, and from there you can get to a list of states by rank pretty easy.

mljdeckard
May 6, 2011, 03:22 AM
While I maintain pride that Utah was the first state to ever get a zero score, I am relieved by the fact that we were only tied this year by AK and AZ, not beaten. :)

dnthmn
May 6, 2011, 03:27 AM
Arizona, Alaska and Utah do not have a single common sense gun law on their books

If it were truly common sense, there wouldn't need to be a law for it.

Cryogaijin
May 6, 2011, 05:13 AM
Proud to be an Alaskan gun owner!

And the Brady campaign is quite brainless if they think Alaska doesn't have common sense gun laws.

Legal to store a gun in one's private car at one's workplace? Check.

Legal to keep a lawful defensive firearm inside one's parka to protect it from severe winter conditions? Check.

Legal to open carry a moose/bear defense gun? Check.

What isn't common sense about those??

robert garner
May 6, 2011, 08:48 AM
I am outraged,The State of Georgia got an 8? We need to work on this people,
I am as mad as hell, and I aint gonna take less than zero anymore...wait less than zero would be good wouldn't it?...Go for broke Georgia!
robert

ZCORR Jay
May 6, 2011, 09:03 AM
It'll be a cold day in Hades before my state ever joins the ranks of AK,AZ, & UT.

Someday I'll pull out of NY:rolleyes:

jgiehl
May 6, 2011, 09:18 AM
Oh to be an Alaskan.......how grand.

MtnSpur
May 6, 2011, 10:14 AM
While Texas came in with a 6 (still an awesome number) it's about to get lower with the parking lot bill having just passed in the House. The legislature is also working on the open carry issue. So that'll rile the Brady folks some. While not AK (the only state where Walmart sells handguns in their sportings goods department) it's still one gun friendly environment. Anyone up for some feral hog and coyote huntin? :D

jbkebert
May 6, 2011, 10:17 AM
Kansas here. I am proud of our state scoring a 4

doc.lonestar
May 6, 2011, 10:34 AM
Gotta love the great state of Alaska. If there was ever a place that made my state look anti-firearms it would be Alaska lol

Texas laws are very friendly - compared to the days when Ann Richards was gov. It took us a while to get the right to carry concealed so thank goodness for that.

Gregaw
May 6, 2011, 10:47 AM

http://www.bradycampaign.org/stategunlaws/scorecard

Malamute
May 6, 2011, 01:20 PM
Interesting, many of the things on their list are federal regs, why would states have the same laws?

boogity8k
May 6, 2011, 01:30 PM
IA has a 7, not bad but wonder what we score now with our new carry law if that makes a differnce?

hirundo82
May 6, 2011, 01:43 PM
Somebody has to get a negative score next year--either Alaska or Arizona pass campus carry, or Utah passes constitutional carry. Of course, the Bradys move the goalposts every year, so who knows what the criteria will be.

We're getting better in Texas--our score should drop next year since it looks like the employees parking lot bill is as good as done. Unfortunately campus carry is on life support. We'll likely never reach 0 because we have a (relatively innocuous) child access prevention law on the books.

USAF_Vet
May 6, 2011, 04:45 PM
I'm surprised Michigan scored a 25. There are some lame gun laws on the books, but I was hoping for something a bit lower.

Scimmia
May 6, 2011, 04:55 PM
IA has a 7, not bad but wonder what we score now with our new carry law if that makes a differnce?

That is the score with the new law. Iowa got 3 points for having law enforcement involved in obtaining a permit to purchase, 2 for not requiring employers to allow guns in the parking lot, and 2 for not requiring colleges to allow guns on campus.

cyclopsshooter
May 6, 2011, 05:00 PM
washington... 17... could be worse...

MOBoyNoMo
May 7, 2011, 12:34 AM
Go AK - the best state "out there"! LOL

Big Boy
May 7, 2011, 12:42 AM
I know I shouldn't be, but I'm still kind of shocked that they can look at CA, NY, and Chicago, and say "OMG the violence!!"

The evidence is right in front of them, they just refuse to look at it. Gun free zones are just providing a criminal a safe place to work. It still takes all I have to imagine how they can look at a State with no gun control, but less crime, and yet all they have to scream is "more gun control!!"

MOBoyNoMo
May 7, 2011, 01:47 AM
Agreed 100%.

JTHunter
May 7, 2011, 01:49 AM
USAF Vet - don't feel bad. Compared to Illinois' 35 Michigan's score of 25 is better. And the states around Illinois range from a 2 (KY) to an 8 (WI). Go figure!

Shadow 7D
May 7, 2011, 02:31 AM
I don't know if ADN (which isn't locally owned, cut most of the local staff (esp the 'reporters') and has a, um, rather left bias)

expected so many to post 'Hooray'

Shadow 7D
May 7, 2011, 02:33 AM
Oh, the Brady Bunch (if you read the fine print not available....)

ONLY rate "state" law
SO, if you are a state that fully complies with federal requirements...
AND only federal requirements
You get a grand total of 0

captain awesome
May 7, 2011, 02:39 AM
God bless AZ! glad I live here. I find it interesting that the 3 lowest score states are the three i would feel safest in. I also thought it was hilarious they gave us a demerit for not requiring ccw permits. now if we just allowed em on college campuses we would get a score of -2! equate it to golf scores, 0 is par, but we can do better!

arizona98tj
May 7, 2011, 03:51 AM
I'm glad MN only scored a 14!

I intend to retire in MN in a few more years. I've got 80 acres up north waiting for my retirement home.

I was doing a little research the other day, thinking up picking up a supressor for one of my rifles. Then I discovered that they are not legal in MN and simply owning one is a felony.

You folks gotta get that law changed! I mean....you REALLY need to get that law changed a LOT! Living here in Arizona, I'll admit that I am spoiled. ;)

AZ
May 7, 2011, 03:57 AM
So would a perfect score be -100? Hopefully Brady keeps finding things we're "doing wrong" so my pride stays bolstered.

Cryogaijin
May 7, 2011, 05:42 AM
I love my job. One of my tasks is to chat with the guests staying at my hotel. Today was discussing shotguns.

I was talking about how some nice 9 pellet OO buck in the 20 round drums of my saiga puts 180 .35 caliber pellets down range per magazine. The guest noted that out does an AK with one of the chinese 75 round drums. Then I pointed him to the new KSG, and he fell instantly in love. "So put a magazine blocker so it has 3 rounds of birdshot for duck huntin', and have the other tube with bear defense rounds? SOLD!"

Gotta love Alaska. I do believe that conversation would get me fired in California, and possibly charges raised. ;)

jackpinesavages
May 7, 2011, 09:03 AM
A sweet stars & stripes Glock-where do I get one!

I visited Alaska in '93-Kenai Pen.. Love it. Time to go back.

shotgunjoel
May 7, 2011, 02:11 PM
A sweet stars & stripes Glock-where do I get one!
They used to always have a Colt Python with the rw&b overlay. I guess that they think that the Glock is 'scarier' and more recognizable.

xfyrfiter
May 7, 2011, 05:05 PM
NM is a close third place, with a 4, but could stand improvement.

Aren't we all
May 8, 2011, 11:47 AM
hehe, I took their little quiz and it made me happy.
My gosh they are dumb and slanted.

RimfireChris
May 8, 2011, 01:18 PM
WA only got 17, I wonder if that'll drop after the bill allowing supressors goes into effect?

Scipio Africanus
May 8, 2011, 01:27 PM
I am un-abashadly jealous! I find it fascinating that states with the "highest" score have the worst violent crime problems ( NY, CA, IL, etc), while states with "lower" scores seem to have less violent crime. I suppose that this an irrelevant issue, as the point is prohibition and confiscation, not violence prevention!

9MMare
May 8, 2011, 01:39 PM
Oh for goodness sake! Did they even look for data on gun violence IN AK? Or are they just looking at the gun laws themselves?

Cuz to me that's just a DUH! Fewer gun restrictions and less gun violence? If that's the case then I have only derogatory opinions of their intelligence (trying not to name call).

I realize it's also a state with less people & population density but you cant still look at it statistically. And AK is a long way to go to steal or deal in guns illegally. Kinda dents the profit margin, yes? :banghead:

Carl N. Brown
May 8, 2011, 03:16 PM
I love to revisit Brady Campaign Gun Law Ratings and Crime Rates...

Look at Brady Campaign rankings within the more-or-less demographically homogenous and contiguous New England States, and notice the correlation between violent crime rates, particularly murder, and the Brady Campaign rankings, either the old A-F school grades or the new and improved point system.:

State Brady Campaign Ratings v FBI UCR Crime and Homicide Rates
Northeastern Old New 2003 2006 2009
STATE GRADE POINT CRIME HOMICIDE CRIME HOMICIDE CRIME HOMICIDE
Connecticut A- 58 308.2 3.0 280.8 3.1 298.7 3.0
Maine D- 9 108.9 1.2 115.5 1.7 119.8 2.0
Massachusetts A- 65 469.4 2.2 447.0 2.9 457.1 2.6
New Hampshire D- 6 148.8 1.4 138.7 1.0 159.6 0.8
Rhode Island B- 44 285.6 2.3 227.5 2.6 252.6 2.9
Vermont D- 6 110.2 2.3 136.6 1.9 131.4 1.1

Brady gives high ratings (A and B grades, 44 to 65 points) to CT MA and RI for having restrictive gun laws, including discretionary "may-issue" permit laws. Brady gives ME NH VT bad ratings (D- grades, 6 to 9 points) for having lax gun laws, especially VT carry w/o permit. CRIME is violent crime: homicide, armed robbery, aggravated assault and rape and rates are per 100,000 population per year; HOMICIDE includes murder and non-negligent manslaughter.

Added: I'll offer the explanation that gun laws increase the crime rate by diverting state resources from policies that actually affect the crime rate, like money available for police training.

Good&Fruity
May 8, 2011, 04:01 PM
Washington got a 17? WTH?!? Get your laws off my guns (all lost in a tragic boating accident).

hirundo82
May 8, 2011, 08:27 PM
I ran the stats with last year's scores and tried to correlate them to crime statistics (mainly from the Uniform Crime Report). There was no correlation of stricter gun control with murder rate, violent crime rate, or rate of guns used in crime. There was a correlation of lower Brady score with the percent of suicides where guns were used, but no correlation with overall suicide rate (ie gun control decreases the number of suicides where guns are used, but people just find another way).

The strongest correlations with the Brady score were population density and gun ownership rate--the states with lower population density had lower Brady scores and higher gun ownership rates, which is unsurprising given the relation between population density and gun ownership. It does show that gun control works for the one thing that the Bradys really care about--decreasing the number of people who own guns. It's not really about crime with them.

jim in Anchorage
July 21, 2013, 07:12 AM
Here's the 2011 list
http://www.bradycampaign.me/sites/default/files/2011_Brady_Campaign_State_Scorecard_Rankings.pdf

mljdeckard
July 21, 2013, 01:14 PM
I really miss Utah being dead last. If our governor hadn't vetoed constitutional carry this year, we might have done it.

OilyPablo
July 21, 2013, 01:24 PM
Looks like CO scooted by WA. Although the anti-2nd clowns are going to try their useless junk here.

Speaking of CO how are those recalls coming along?

Twiki357
July 21, 2013, 09:55 PM
There might be a lot of shifting around if/when brady bunch does another rating considering all the pro-gun bills after their 2011 rating and the ridiculous knee jerk legislation after Sandyhook. Anyone know how often they do their rankings?

yzguy87
July 22, 2013, 02:00 AM
If AK had stricter gun laws to "curb gun violence":barf:, I'm sure they'd rank the highest for bear violence:). But what does the Brady Campaign care about actually curbing violence and crime. They just want guns out of the hands of the people.

Bill50
July 22, 2013, 04:03 AM
I ran the stats with last year's scores and tried to correlate them to crime statistics (mainly from the Uniform Crime Report). There was no correlation of stricter gun control with murder rate, violent crime rate, or rate of guns used in crime. There was a correlation of lower Brady score with the percent of suicides where guns were used, but no correlation with overall suicide rate (ie gun control decreases the number of suicides where guns are used, but people just find another way).

The strongest correlations with the Brady score were population density and gun ownership rate--the states with lower population density had lower Brady scores and higher gun ownership rates, which is unsurprising given the relation between population density and gun ownership. It does show that gun control works for the one thing that the Bradys really care about--decreasing the number of people who own guns. It's not really about crime with them.

I've been wanting to do a proper statistical study on this for quite some time. I've been hesitant to do it because I know that there are so many non-gun related factors that there probably isn't a large enough sample size to fit a real model based on only 50 states. Finding correlations amongst variables is only one way to start picking variables. Doing it correctly also requires so much math that its unlikely that anyone interested in reading the report actually could.

Centurian22
July 22, 2013, 06:35 AM
I'm ok with Maine at a 7 though I expected a little better. I feel infected just having visited that site though. If I could run a virus and spyware scan on my mobile device I would right now.

statelineblues
July 22, 2013, 07:09 AM
Pennsylvania has a score of 26??!! Bummer... (but we can have full auto!:D)

OldMac
July 22, 2013, 07:47 AM
The first page of their site is sad. They are proud of CA's "assault clip ban". What is that? Most clips only have 3-10 rounds and are for old military rifles. They also mention that 31 states do something more than 5 other states. Really? I bet the last five people to read this post have more eyeballs combined than the first one. These folks are Proof that modern technology hinders natural selection.

Hacker15E
July 22, 2013, 08:21 AM
Necroposting! Nice additions to a 2011 thread, guys.

SleazyRider
July 22, 2013, 08:39 AM

All good points. And if we weave the proliferation of video cameras into these studies, the correlation becomes even more muddied. For example, a friend of mine is in the business of commercial installations of video cameras, and the corresponding decline in crime at these locations is dramatic and completely independent of the gun issue---though both sides of the gun argument quote these statistics to support their position.

I think it is overly simplistic and misleading to suggest that certain states are more "freedom minded" than others, or that there is more civility amongst their populace. It would be an interesting study in social enginnering to take the population of an entire county in some of the "free" states and cram them into a single apartment complex---as we have here in New York City, for example---arm them, and see how well they get along after a year or so. Only then can we claim the civility high ground.

I'm not particulary proud of the state in which I live, especially after the passage of the "S.A.F.E." act, and wish that I could pack up and leave. But life is not quite so simple. Besides, the draconian measures foisted upon us here in NY can find their way to any state---all it takes is a few signatures by "right minded" people (legislators) elected to office. Fun fact: your average New York resident isn't even aware of the seven-round magazine restriction, let alone the tenets of the SAFE Act. Outside of the so-called "gun culture," most people aren't even concerned. Bet your state is the same.

By the way, New York (ranked #4 at 62 points!) is a collection of fiefdoms called counties, each having distinctly different gun laws. Where I live in Orange County, for example, I can tote my Model 29 in a shoulder rig through the supermarket if I choose to do so, or hunt whitetail with a .30-06 or .357 magnum or shotgun or crossbow. But my neighbors in Rockland County cannot. Nor can my friends in Suffolk County. Heck, some of them can't even own a pellet rifle.

And New York City is another matter entirely, a world unto itself.

SleazyRider
July 22, 2013, 08:46 AM
Did you say "necroposting"? The wordsmith in me loves it! Nice addition to a 1,500-year-old language, Hacker! :D (I'm funnin' with you here.)

HoosierQ
July 22, 2013, 08:53 AM
Go Indiana. A good solid 4!!! No open carry without the same license as CC probably gets us those if the Brady people care about that.

Ryanxia
July 22, 2013, 10:20 AM
Necro threads much? lol.

GAF
July 22, 2013, 10:41 AM
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/murder-rates-nationally-and-state

Compare these charts to what the Brady Bunch is saying and see the lies.

herrwalther
July 22, 2013, 05:35 PM
I have to hand it to the Brady campaign though. When I am doing research into the best places to live, I look at their list of "worst" states.

jim in Anchorage
July 24, 2013, 06:41 AM
Brady is still active, and doing their best to take our guns. Doesn't matter how "necro" the thread is.

made2cut
July 24, 2013, 03:20 PM
I felt a little "dirty" just visiting their site.

okiewita40
July 24, 2013, 09:07 PM
A good thing Oklahoma is next to the bottom with 2.

spm
July 24, 2013, 09:32 PM
Missouri. Scored 4 and ranked 39.

And as a bonus, the St. Louis Cardinals are in first place!

spm

If you enjoyed reading about "Have to brag on Alaska." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!