Colt LMG belt fed

PDA

fla_countryboy
May 6, 2011, 04:54 PM
I recently bought a Colt Light Machine Gun (LMG) upper to mount on my AR15 Government Model. I now what to convert the firearm to dual feed, belt fed and magazine fed. Has anybody seen an AR15 with a LMG upper conversion in action? Just want to know if its worth it before I destroy my weapon.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt LMG belt fed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam Cade
May 6, 2011, 05:11 PM
LMG upper is just an extra heavy HBAR upper unless you have the rest of the Kit.

Belt feed requires a dedicated upper like a Shrike.

fla_countryboy
May 8, 2011, 08:08 PM
There is a company called Valkyrie Armament that does conversions to belt feed with whatever AR15 platform you provide them. I just wanted to know if anyone has had a LMG converted? If so, how well does it work?

Sam Cade
May 8, 2011, 08:20 PM
Your LMG upper is just a heavy barrel upper with a extra thick gas tube. I would assume that it would work as well as any other.

I think that a semi-auto belt fed rifle is a terrible way to spend $3600, but hey man, its your money.

..also, wrong forum.

Robert
May 9, 2011, 10:26 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but unless the lower, the lower on the AR is the firearm, was already a registered MG you can not have it converted to FA.

Sam Cade
May 9, 2011, 12:46 PM
You are correct Gus.

Robert
May 9, 2011, 01:01 PM
You are correct Gus.
Ok so then he has a unique and interesting upper that cost more than my entire AR. Still nifty looking and would be cool if one had the $$$$$$ to place the entire system on the proper lower.

Sam Cade
May 9, 2011, 01:20 PM
Ok so then he has a unique and interesting upper that cost more than my entire AR.

Possibly, but Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorne also make/made a clone LMG upper that fools people sometimes and it is best used as a tomato stake.

Consider that the cost of a real Colt LMG upper is something like $1500 or so, plus the $3600 of the Valkyrie Armament conversion puts you into REAL machine gun territory.

fla_countryboy
May 9, 2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the info guys. It would be mainly just a show piece anyways.

S.W.G.
May 9, 2011, 09:08 PM
It was my understanding that the Colt LMG fired from an open bolt.

If this is the case (I could be wrong) it would be illegal to install the upper receiver assembly on a normal semi-auto AR lower.

According to the ATF, assembling a semi-auto open bolt is the same as building a STEN in your garage.

Sam Cade
May 9, 2011, 09:18 PM
It was my understanding that the Colt LMG fired from an open bolt.

Yes and No.

There is a special bolt and an "open bolt" trigger group (gotta have both assemblies) but it works just fine with standard parts.

Like So:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=BEkxAAAAEBAJ&zoom=4&pg=PA3#v=onepage&q&f=false

fla_countryboy
May 10, 2011, 06:43 PM
One other question though, could you put a DIAS or lighting link into it and have a Class II manufacture register it as a machine gun?

Sam Cade
May 10, 2011, 06:53 PM
No. A DIAS is itself a machine gun.

No machine guns made after 1986 are legal to own.

dprice3844444
August 9, 2011, 12:30 AM
they are making m249 semi autos now

jojo200517
August 9, 2011, 12:38 AM
Possibly, but Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorne also make/made a clone LMG upper that fools people sometimes and it is best used as a tomato stake.

Given my experience with a hesse/vulcan mac 10 it'd be a crappy tomato stake too. And my tomato plants are too tall for that anyway :D

I can't see a belt fed ar being practical. I just don't see it lasting too long. Maybe I'm wrong but it doesn't seem like it would hold up to sustained full auto fire. Then again maybe I am asking too much for a LMG in the first place.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt LMG belt fed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!