Gun banner to deter would-be intruder?

PDA

ns66
May 7, 2011, 01:14 PM
intruders usually would stay away from homes that have firearms, i read case studies intruder not knowing a home is armed and get in, gun fight started, police suggests if you are home and stranger rings the bell, answer it so he knows someone is home and potentially armed, he will most likely move on

maybe can make a gun banner on the front door saying something like "armed and dangerous" to deter would-be intruders? or maybe just some gun posters to make it more subtle :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun banner to deter would-be intruder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
infuriatednoodle
May 7, 2011, 01:16 PM
I've never thought if that specifically before. I know it would be a bad idea to have bumper stickers like that all over the back of your car. It may bring unwanted attention, or hey, maybe it would work.

Carl Levitian
May 7, 2011, 01:21 PM
Not a good idea to advertise you have firearms in the house. Why let it be known that you have one of the most sought after items to steal and sell quick. I don't even let my neighbors know I have guns.

Carl.

Snowbandit
May 7, 2011, 01:57 PM
First consider how you would feel after a shooting incident at your home when the banner is displayed on the front page of the newspaper. Next is when that banner is presented to a jury of your peers. Not all signs and banners are created equally. The guy who in jest posts, "TRESPASSERS WILL BE SHOT, SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN", better hope he never has to shoot someone anywhere. This kind of stuff will come back to haunt you because it displays a predetermined mindset.

kingpin008
May 7, 2011, 01:58 PM
Carl hit the nail on the head. The key part of the equation is the criminals NOT knowing whether or not their potential target is armed or not. By advertising, you not only take away that advantage, you give the criminals the advantage of knowing exactly which house to rob once you're not there.

GojuBrian
May 7, 2011, 02:03 PM
I know someone that had a sticker on the front window of their house. It said,"Bad Dog, Good Shot!" picture a gun in hand and big dig teeth.
His guns were stolen when he was at work one day. You decide if they were related.

Sent from my iBrian

leadcounsel
May 7, 2011, 02:20 PM
I think advertising would be problematic. You can't be home 100% of the time, and unemployed or professional criminals could "wait you out" and case your house ... Also, from a legal perspective, could create issues for you in a questionable shoot, and a zealous anti-gun DA could turn your sign into "bloodlust" or something of that nature. Unlikely but why toy with it.

Personally, while I've never done it, I think a simple sign taped to the window at the entrances, visible to the outside - that reminds folks of something like this:

"Breaking and entering in XXXX (state) is a felony. You will be caught, prosecuted and convicted. Maximum sentence is XXXX years. Also, in XXX (state) the homeowner has the right to use lethal force to protect himself. If you break in you could end up dead or go to prison. Is my TV worth that?"

MOBoyNoMo
May 7, 2011, 02:20 PM
I kinda think the cons of posting something like that would outweigh the benefits.

nwilliams
May 7, 2011, 02:36 PM
Guns are high up there on the target list for thieves so by advertising that their are firearms in this house you are basically just dangling a carrot in front of the horse.

Also if a thief knows that you're not home then why would they care if you are armed?

Carl Levitian
May 7, 2011, 02:43 PM
"Breaking and entering in XXXX (state) is a felony. You will be caught, prosecuted and convicted. Maximum sentence is XXXX years. Also, in XXX (state) the homeowner has the right to use lethal force to protect himself. If you break in you could end up dead or go to prison. Is my TV worth that?"

That's just as bad as any gun poster. It clearly hints that you will shoot an intruder. Big fail.

You want your home, your car, and even yourself, to be as anonymous as possible these days. I believe in the gray man approach to life. I don't want to be noticed or remembered 20 minutes after I leave someplace. No gun stickers, no gun posters, no gun t-shirts, no macho running off at the mouth how I have this or that. Like I said, my own neighbors next door have no idea I have guns. I don't even put any stickers of any kind on my car.

Very often, we gun owners are our own worst enemy. I've seen the idiot at the mall with the HK t-shirt and a Glock ball cap, and just for yuks I tailed him to his car, and he never knew he was being watched. How hard would it be to follow him to his house?

Never let them know anything about you by the way you look. Even if that means dialing down the macho stuff.

Carl.

JCallaway82
May 7, 2011, 02:58 PM
Funny because I have a buddy who has a nice wide oak door and on either side are two nice windows, one has a no solicitors sign and the other has a "ragged-hole" paper practice target taped at the bottom. It doesn't really say, "Hey I will shoot you" at all. But it does in a way imply that the homeowner has a gun and knows how to use it...very passive-aggressive...I love it personally. lol

However, the effectiveness of such a thing depends on the criminal, and his intelligence....:)

Good&Fruity
May 7, 2011, 03:06 PM
I wouldn't advertise that this is the house to hit if you want a firearm. I also wouldn't give ammo to the prosecutor in a trial by hanging **** like that.

rifleman14
May 7, 2011, 03:13 PM
best one ive read yet JCallaway82! just hang a man sized target on your front door with about 25 rounds all within 3" or so at center mass(maybe a couple head shots just for kicks) and I would think that would be enough to deter a potential break in. yes it is true that many criminals would see a gun poster as incentive to rob the place, but then again, many criminals are rather sharp and have a little common sense. obviously not a lot, but enough, I think, to make them say "hey, there's plenty of other houses I can rob around here. Why take the chance?" I definitely agree with the fact that the majority of criminals would just go ahead and do it

ns66
May 7, 2011, 03:48 PM
these days any big screen tv is worth more than a gun, i doubt criminals will target gun owner house just because there's gun in there, for them it's life and death, not the same mindset for folks here typing on keyboard at your leisure, imagine if you have to break in to a house you pick one with guns inside?

JCallaway82
May 7, 2011, 04:17 PM
@Rifleman14 I thought it was wise of him as well. It doesn't directly threaten criminals, but anyone with a few brain cells can see that the homeowner likes shooting stuff....

Good luck though with convincing the wives to allow you to put a full size paper target on her beautiful front door! haha!

Gordon_Freeman
May 7, 2011, 04:19 PM
I would not post any signs on my home or cars.

TexasBill
May 7, 2011, 05:27 PM
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss44/TexasBillC/Protected.jpg

Tempting, but not that tempting...

I'm with the guys who would rather let the BGs be surprised.

May 7, 2011, 05:42 PM
Unless you (or some trained family members) can be home 100% of the time and be prepared, it's bad idea to advertise.

ChCx2744
May 7, 2011, 05:44 PM
Posting signs, stickers and banners is a bad idea, they serve no concrete purpose, except blocking out sunlight and making you look like a nut. Instead of that crap, you should seriously deliberate on quality audible alarm systems, dogs, reinforced door and window frames, stronger, deeper locks, a good safe, surveillance cameras and motion sensor lights. Sounds like a lot, but the things I mentioned are all purpose-built.

gym
May 7, 2011, 06:49 PM
If anything I have a booster for my local police dept sticker, or an NRA sticker.

kingpin008
May 7, 2011, 06:52 PM
these days any big screen tv is worth more than a gun, i doubt criminals will target gun owner house just because there's gun in there

Flawed logic. While a TV may be worth more than a gun, which one is going to be easier to get out of the house without being noticed? Which one is going to be easier and quicker to re-sell on the street? Which one is more valuable to the crook if they intend to bring their criminal activities to another level and begin physically mugging people? If you guessed gun, you guessed right.

cyclopsshooter
May 7, 2011, 07:20 PM
i would go with alarm company stickers...

Ala Dan
May 7, 2011, 07:51 PM
that is want you want any potential intruder too find~! No need to
advertise that you are legally armed; let the element of SURPRISE
be on your side~! ;) :D

Zach S
May 7, 2011, 08:20 PM
Yes, a gun banner will deter some intruders. Yes, a gun banner will attract some intruders.

Personally, I don't have anything pertaining to firearms on my house or car.

ozarkhillbilly
May 7, 2011, 08:27 PM
While I would not put this on my house, I like.

"I eat what I shoot"

gym
May 7, 2011, 08:47 PM
I do have the sign on the post from the alarm company, and there is the abrams tank in the driveway.

gym
May 7, 2011, 08:49 PM
Since my work car is an abrams tank, they leave us alone.

ns66
May 7, 2011, 09:54 PM
i think in any house, guns are usually least valuable and usually locked, i don't think burglars will go for gun specifically unless that's what he needs, but if he doesn't have a gun and it will be pretty stupid breaking into a house that's armed

the common wisdom is the best defense against a danger is not to get into one

surprise a burglar? you must be kidding me, but no thanks :D

9MMare
May 7, 2011, 10:16 PM
these days any big screen tv is worth more than a gun, i doubt criminals will target gun owner house just because there's gun in there, for them it's life and death, not the same mindset for folks here typing on keyboard at your leisure, imagine if you have to break in to a house you pick one with guns inside?

From my reading on here, people having one gun often have alot MORE than one gun, hence, a true bonus for thieves :(

They probably know this. I do not hold to the perspective that most criminals are stupid. I do however, believe they are expedient and have many many less considerations when it comes to pulling a trigger.

Altho I see both sides of this argument, I land on the side that a) knowlege is power and it gives criminals an advantage to know I'm armed and b) it's advertising guns for free when I'm not home.

dirtykid
May 7, 2011, 11:10 PM
The only evidence of guns around my house is the NRA_sticker in back window of mom-taxi and a little 4x6 rub-on sticker hidden until you step unto my front deck that has a picture of SA-revolver and wording "we dont call 911" underneath it ,, my gun-safe is home-made and is built into closet so my 50" lcd tv and my kids x-box's ,PS3's and wii-console probaly will fill their hands quik enough , if you dont know the safe is there you'd have to pillage thru my wifes out-of-season clothes to even expose the door, we live about 4-miles out of city-limits so the crime-monkeys dont like to walk that far,and i have the snoopy-neighbor crime watch,besides a large church right next door that is also a school , and my neighbor directly north of me works 5-pm to 2am and he's usually awake till 4 or so every night before going to bed himself,, dogs across street bark at ANYTHING so i think in my case it's probaly safe,,

sm
May 7, 2011, 11:16 PM
Agree with Carl.

Just me, but I would be hesitant to get near a house with "Leper" or some similar terrible disease.

Then again I change sides of the street when I see a house, or vehicle in a driveway with Democrat signage, posters, decals, etc.

Just me you unnerstand...

bikerdoc
May 7, 2011, 11:22 PM
I believe in the gray man approach to life. I don't want to be noticed or remembered 20 minutes after I leave someplace. No gun stickers, no gun posters, no gun t-shirts, no macho running off at the mouth

Carl got it right. I do the same thing. By all outward appearance I am the just the Grandpa of the neighborhood. But a well prepared grandpa.

geekWithA.45
May 7, 2011, 11:30 PM
As a general class, right up until they hear the loud BOOMS, most criminals don't believe they will be caught, opposed, or shot at.

There is a small, but substantial minority of criminals who simply aren't afraid of guns or being shot at, so it's best to shoot straight.

In either case, betting on them being impressed by signage isn't the way to go.

yhtomit
May 7, 2011, 11:31 PM
Over the years, I've heard (and approved of / chuckled at) the often made suggestion to those who believe that guns are not a disincentive to criminals / burglars that they should therefore be happy to post a big sign out front reflecting their values, along the lines of "UNARMED" or "NO GUNS HERE."

Goes to show that life is double-edged sometimes; as many have said already, *not knowing* (on the part of a would-be intruder) is a good thing, since an announcement of "GUNS ON PREMISES" could work the wrong way.

Closest thing I've had was a sticker for many years on a now-departed car that said "Criminals Prefer Unarmed Victims." Trying now to be a bit stealthier ... but I still like the sentiment. Maybe soon enough I'll use only electronic bumper stickers that can be switched off when appropriate.

timothy

BIGGBAY90
May 7, 2011, 11:32 PM
LOL

ns66
May 7, 2011, 11:56 PM
2 houses everything else equal, one with gun posters and 10 shot targets, i bet 100% of burglars will pick the "softer" target

Gordon_Freeman
May 8, 2011, 01:36 AM
A thief will case your home and determine when you are not there. Those signs might tempt a thief to choose your home because guns are easy to sell.

ns66
May 8, 2011, 02:11 AM
how can gun with traceable serial number easier to sell than say jewelries?

MrCleanOK
May 8, 2011, 02:26 AM
Gun stuff all over the outside of your house. . . . because burglars don't like stealing guns, and aren't smart enough to just break in when you aren't there.

You're better off making your home a hard target with stuff that doesn't scream "come steal my stuff later". Like security system signage (and the system to go with it), good exterior lighting, good visibility to the street, etc.

MrCleanOK
May 8, 2011, 02:31 AM
how can gun with traceable serial number easier to sell than say jewelries?

Because a serial number isn't exactly traceable unless somebody reports that serial number stolen to Police Dept "A", and somebody else with that serial number in their hot little hands calls Police Dept "A" to see if it's stolen. If the buyer of a stolen gun doesn't ask, and the seller doesn't tell, then nobody knows.

Mac2
May 8, 2011, 02:51 AM
I don't advertise anything. Let it be the element of surprise. The majority of my firearms are well locked up, and the house is alarmed.
A pro gun sign means there are guns available. A security alarm sign means you have something you want to protect, cut the phone line first. I don't advertise either. Don't let me catch you here, up to no good. Just my .02c.

kingpin008
May 8, 2011, 02:51 AM
Because a serial number isn't exactly traceable unless somebody reports that serial number stolen to Police Dept "A", and somebody else with that serial number in their hot little hands calls Police Dept "A" to see if it's stolen. If the buyer of a stolen gun doesn't ask, and the seller doesn't tell, then nobody knows.

Exactly. Jewelry is bad because most criminals tend to avoid places like pawn shops. Pawn shops ask questions, have security cameras, and make you fill out forms (often including driver's license or other ID). Fencing the goods through other means (usually black-market type stuff) is usually easier, since there aren't any questions asked. This is great for stuff like stereos and whatnot, but more unique items like jewelry are harder to get rid of, especially in bulk, because they're more likely to be unique (and therefore noticeable). Try selling a few stereo systems and a big display of jewelry out of a van and see which raises the most eyebrows.

Selling a gun on the street is another matter. Cash and carry, no questions, and the seller is not gonna be interested in reporting the gun stolen, which as Mr. Clean mentioned negates the serial number issue - if it hasn't already been obliterated, of course.

ns66
May 8, 2011, 11:43 AM
yeah as if any law abiding citizens in their right mind will buy guns from questionable source with stolen serial number, that's a crime as i understand it, if you buy from private owner without FFL check serial number first, not to get some nasty surprise

i seriously don't buy "give intruder surprise" idea, read a few books of self defense case studies you will learn alot (like "ayoob files", "thank god i had a gun" etc....), remember best defense against crime is not to get into one!

ATBackPackin
May 8, 2011, 12:26 PM
I personally agree with not advertising and keeping the element of surprise on my side. I wouldn't want my house to be a target while I am not home or even worse, a target while the wife and I are home and have 3 or 4 heavily armed people breaking in because they know that I am armed.

Shawn

ns66
May 8, 2011, 12:29 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/CZ%20posters/PleaseLeave.jpg

kingpin008
May 8, 2011, 12:30 PM
yeah as if any law abiding citizens in their right mind will buy guns from questionable source with stolen serial number,

Who said anything about law abiding citizens? Criminals who steal guns re-sell them to other criminals. It's not rocket science.

if you buy from private owner without FFL check serial number first, not to get some nasty surprise

Hate to bust your bubble, but a private citizen can't check the serial number on their own. Some police departments might do it if you call them and ask, but the vast majority will tell you to go pound sand.

Even if you could check a serial before buying, there's no guarantee that it'll raise a flag if the gun is indeed stolen. In order for the gun to be flagged stolen, the owner has to have noticed that it's gone, made a police report, and the police to have recorded the serial (if the owner remembers it/has it stored somewhere). Even if that all happens, there is no mandatory national database of stolen weapons.

remember best defense against crime is not to get into one!

What does that have to do with the given situation? How does one "not get into" a home burglary? Not have a home? Live in an impenetrable fortress?

No matter what you do (or don't do, for that matter) if a criminal wants to target your home, they will. You can make it less likely for them to succeed in gaining access, but there is no way to "not get into" this type of crime.

Black Butte
May 8, 2011, 12:32 PM
When your sign announces "guns available here," would-be burglars simply case your house, find out when nobody's home, and help themselves to your hardware.

The best strategy is when many law-abiding citizens are armed, but criminals don't know who they are.

GEM
May 8, 2011, 12:33 PM
Slightly related - in San Antonio, we've had a few instances of cars being broken into after stopping to eat on the way back from the range. Guys do into the restaurant and come out to find the gun gear and guns are gone.

Obviously, the BGs had knowledge that the owners were probably armed but not at the car.

We also had cases where folks were cased to have guns in their house and then robbed. Workmen or their kid's friends hit the joint when the homeowners were out.

woodsoup
May 8, 2011, 01:03 PM
He77, my "NO SOLICETORS" sign doesn't work 60%of the time!

ns66
May 8, 2011, 01:09 PM
What does that have to do with the given situation? How does one "not get into" a home burglary? Not have a home? Live in an impenetrable fortress?

No matter what you do (or don't do, for that matter) if a criminal wants to target your home, they will. You can make it less likely for them to succeed in gaining access, but there is no way to "not get into" this type of crime.
when would-be intruders stop by your house and see gun posters on front door, they move on to next house, why is this so hard to understand?

let me ask you, if you play the role of burglar, you need money and want to break in houses to get valuables, how do you scout and find potential targets? you honestly can tell me out of 10 similar houses in an area you picked the one with gun posters and 10-shot-on-chest target on the front door? if so then i rest my case and good luck :D

kingpin008
May 8, 2011, 01:26 PM
when would-be intruders stop by your house and see gun posters on front door, they move on to next house, why is this so hard to understand?

It's hard to understand because it's not true. It's well known that criminals often scout locations to break into ahead of time to ensure that the occupants aren't home. And if they're not home when a criminal breaks in, guess what they can't use to shoot at the criminal? That's right, the GUNS! So, simple logic dictates that such houses are actually more likely to be chosen as targets for thieves, given the almost-guaranteed chance of an easy score within.

Of course, if you've got sources that prove otherwise, I'd be happy to have a look at them.

let me ask you, if you play the role of burglar, you need money and want to break in houses to get valuables, how do you scout and find potential targets?

Once again - I look for the house with the most obvious chance of something valuable that I can get rid of quick. In most cases, guns fit that bill perfectly. If I'm a criminal and I see a bunch of gun company stickers or a shot-up target posted on a house, odds are there are guns in the home. All I have to do is sit back, watch the house for a bit to determine the patterns of whoever lives there, and then boom - in the house I go. If there are guns and they happen to be really well secured, well, I still have all the rest of the stealable stuff in normal homes to fall back on, don't I?

9MMare
May 8, 2011, 01:29 PM
That's a great pic NS66, but I'm pretty sure the criminals arent afraid of the guns if there's no one home to shoot them. And most wait until the home is empty.

And if home invaders choose to break in, then I DEFINITELY want that element of surprise.

9MMare
May 8, 2011, 01:32 PM
And if they're not home when a criminal breaks in, guess what they can't use to shoot at the criminal? That's right, the GUNS!

LOL

I should have kept reading. :)

MachIVshooter
May 8, 2011, 01:35 PM

And surveillance system stickers/signs and cameras. I've mentioned it in another thread, but feel it bears repeating: Many burglars (excluding those who case your house for days; Rare) will approach the front door and knock or ring the bell a few times to make sure no one is home, and they're not gonna be wearing a ski mask when doing so; they'll be posing as a solicitor or someone who is lost, etc. That's because in the event that some is home, they'll want to be able to just slip away without garnering extra attention/suspicion. If you have surveillance and warnings of it, they'll realize that they're anonymity has already been compromised, and the effect is very often the same as if someone had been home. They're not too dumb to realize that you now have a picture of their face, height and build, and that they'll instantly be a suspect.

i think in any house, guns are usually least valuable and usually locked, i don't think burglars will go for gun specifically unless that's what he needs,

In most locales, guns (especially handguns) rank second or third as most sought after/stolen by burglars, right after cash and swapping places with jewlery. They're easy to resell and bring a decent chunk of cheddar. Street value is often more than twice what a gun costs to buy legally.

Most common criminals don't realize how steep the penalty for stolen guns is vs. normal felony larceny. They are also rarely caught; most stolen guns go unrecovered.

Hardtarget
May 8, 2011, 01:58 PM
Just reproduce the old "Don't Tread On Me" flag. Its history! ;)

Really, I'm in the "keep it concealed" group. While I love range trips, I don't like to carry gun cases to the truck...and I can't get it in the garage to load in secret. :(

Mark

paramedic70002
May 8, 2011, 03:55 PM
Good point about lepers. I suppose a sign, handwritten or professionally done, that warns of some sort of highly contagious disease, would be a great deterrent.

Also consider this. Had a talk with a Deputy last week. A major burglary ring that covered several counties from SE VA and up I-64 was busted when the perps drove around the back of a target house and got their vehicle stuck in mud. Couldn't get out and they were found sitting there pondering their next move.

Most burglaries are daylight hits when everybody is at work and school. Do your kids get home before you do, or is it possible that they would leave school early and come home? What if you come home during the day?

My back yard is fenced. The only way they are driving in my back yard is to open the gate. Maybe I should padlock it. Lightbulb! OK back to my train of thought. Burglars don't want to be seen loading up the loot. Restrict access to the back yard and reduce your chance of being cleaned out.

cambeul41
May 8, 2011, 05:52 PM
How about a sign saying, "Please do not disturb the snakes.":)

Resto Guy
May 8, 2011, 10:26 PM
In my county there is a little country store that serves hot food all day. There is a separate seating area reserved for law enforcement folks. Any particular morning I can drop in for a cheese biscuit and find 1-4 cop cars out front. The owner's son and daughter-in-law are both LEO, btw.
As you enter, you can't help but notice that hanging on the opposite wall is an old door mat with the image of a large revolver. Stitched into the mat are the words "I don't call 9-1-1. I call .357".
It was hanging there about 10 years ago when the owner had to shoot and kill an armed robber at the register. I'll never forget the news story that night. They showed the image of the door mat hanging on the wall while giving the details. That was followed with the Sheriff in the store parking lot giving a statement. He said it was an obvious case of self defense on the part of the store owner. It was as good as saying "Case Closed!!".;)
Unlike many of the our other rural stores, they have not had a robbery there since.

ns66
May 14, 2011, 01:09 PM
how about something to the effect of "CCW, armed when I am home, no gun for you when I am away"? :p

mljdeckard
May 14, 2011, 01:20 PM
I think this can vary depending on where you live. Some places it's understood that just about every home is armed. (And they have, as a result, very low burglary rates.) Others it may be less guaranteed, but not inflammatory to see gun-related items like a pigeon thrower or like items on the premises.

I don't go overboard, but I think that the NRA stickers on my vehicles in the car port, along with stickers showing membership in a branch of the military should be sufficient warning without advertising too strongly. If I lived in Massachusetts, I might act differently.

ns66
May 14, 2011, 06:15 PM
found these signs :D

http://www.ammoland.com/uploads/NewsImages/Im-a-gun-owner-I-vote-sign.jpg

http://thehousingforum.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/home-security-sign-210x300.jpg

http://static.seton.com/media/catalog/product/CCTV-Warning-Signs-95634-ba.gif

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy197/izual_exe/th_kids-have-guns-warning-sign.png

http://funnytshirtshack.com/images/357%20MAGNUM%20PROPERTY%20PROTECTED%20BY%20WARNING%20SIGN.jpg

mljdeckard
May 14, 2011, 06:21 PM
Exhibits A, B, and C.

Tommygunn
May 14, 2011, 06:55 PM

Well, that would work against some but to those who know how different security systems work, you're only telling them what system you have so they can tell if they can defeat it or not ... or how.

I agree; no signs about guns or anything. Let surprise reign supreme.

Rail Driver
May 14, 2011, 07:28 PM
Hate to bust your bubble, but a private citizen can't check the serial number on their own.

Hate to bust *your* bubble, but many states and localities have stolen gun serial searches, and there are also a few nationwide ones that are coming into more use. Of course, the efficacy of these tools relies on the original owner reporting the gun stolen, but it is possible in many places.

Try googling "<your locality here> stolen weapon search", you may find yourself surprised. Florida Department of Law Enforcement maintains a tool like that and I've found it indispensable.

Back to the topic of the thread, I keep a small NRA sticker at the corner of my front window and one on my car, but nothing more. I work and attend school from home, so it's very rare that I or someone else is not here.

Ignition Override
May 14, 2011, 11:15 PM
In Memphis many burglars wait until about 10:00 AM.
They want people to be at work or school etc, and they prefer homes with no garage, or a car port.

A large number of exceptions involve people who often start in the afternoon or later (airlines, Fedex, UPS etc).

Back in December of '09 or so, at about 1900 (7:00 PM) we left and were gone for one hour. They had probably watched from a distance.

The house was the only home which was dark. They went behind a bush in front, and yanked out the thick power cable. The first visit is usually the master bedroom. Why look elsewhere for jewelry or guns, as the lookout scans the driveway for your return?

klutchless
May 14, 2011, 11:37 PM
My dad had a sigh on the front window when I was a younger that said" I'm old I'm retired and I have six boys who can shoot whats your chances.We shot alot out back at all hours of the day and night due to coons, coyotes and other vermin never got broken in to.

kingpin008
May 15, 2011, 12:13 AM
Hate to bust *your* bubble, but many states and localities have stolen gun serial searches, and there are also a few nationwide ones that are coming into more use.

Point taken. However, as you mention, it's only effective if you reside in an area that has such a service, and the gun has been reported stolen. So while you make a good point, my overall point stands.

MarkDozier
May 15, 2011, 02:20 AM
I advertise I have guns. I use the Flash, Boom, Thud method.
Muzzle Flash
Boom of weapon report
Thud of perp hitting the floor

Mr White
May 15, 2011, 10:25 AM
Guns are probably our third line of home defense.

1 - 3 big and very territorial/protective dogs.
2 - My 14 year old son (5-11, 180#) is a black belt and I was a step away from black belt when injuries forced me to give up martial arts.
3 - Gun

My thought for a banner is:

"You want to break in? Go for it. Getting shot is the BEST outcome you can hope for."

mgkdrgn
May 15, 2011, 02:09 PM
I have one of these at each likely entry point. I consider it "fair warning" ... I'm a "work from home" computer consultant and FFL.

bhk
May 15, 2011, 02:35 PM
Certainly not an issue in my rural area - EVERY house has guns. It would be a really rare one that doesn't. We still have burgleries, though, and they hit during the day when no one is home. No bad guy bent on stealing stuff around here is stupid enough to break into a rural residence when it is ocuppied.

I would guess that, in our area, advertising the number of guns you have or value of your collection might increase your chance of a break in. Maybe a Mossberg sticker on your door would lower your chance of a break-in, and a Browning (or other high-dollar maker) would increase your chance of a break-in. It certainly won't happen when you are home, so the threat a sticker/decal might only confirms gun ownership and poses no risk to the burglar.

I like being retired and being home most of the time. Less to worry about.

model67a
May 15, 2011, 03:10 PM
I have always seen signs like "beware of dog", "beware of armed homeowner", etc. and have wondered how a "beware of snake" sign would work. I would bet it would be a lot more affective than something they could hear coming and would probably get rid of a lot of solicitors too!!!!:eek:

Tomcat47
May 15, 2011, 03:14 PM
I am with the ones that rather not advertise or give a scheister lawyer something to use against me.

I do how ever have Private Property, No Trespassing, & ADT signs outside!

I have Motion detectors, driveway alarm, and a few dogs near or over 100 lbs.

We do leave lighting on timers and TVs on with curtains pulled when we are away! We have 3 or 4 vehicles in driveway ( we each have a spare beater car) SO one always wonders who is home??

The only guns they could steal the wife or I would have on us when away! And I will confess there is one of those "not worth dying for type stickers" on my gun safe....so if they make it that far it will be "after the fact" and they will either stay several hours in a feeble attempt to get inside a Liberty safe with dogs chewing on their butt, or give it up deciding they may be coming home and nothing here worth dying for! :)

PS: There is an "Article 6" proclamation from SC framed on wall beside gun cabinet!

A BILL
TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING ARTICLE 6, CHAPTER 11, TITLE 16 SO AS TO ENACT THE "PROTECTION OF PERSONS AND PROPERTY ACT", TO DEFINE THE TERMS "DWELLING", "GREAT BODILY INJURY", "RESIDENCE", AND "VEHICLE", TO AUTHORIZE THE LAWFUL USE OF DEADLY FORCE AGAINST AN INTRUDER OR ATTACKER IN A PERSON'S DWELLING, RESIDENCE, OR OCCUPIED VEHICLE UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES, TO PROVIDE EXCEPTIONS, TO PROVIDE THAT THERE IS NO DUTY TO RETREAT IF THE PERSON IS IN A PLACE WHERE HE HAS A RIGHT TO BE, INCLUDING THE PERSON'S PLACE OF BUSINESS, AND THE USE OF DEADLY FORCE IS NECESSARY TO PREVENT DEATH, GREAT BODILY INJURY, OR THE COMMISSION OF A VIOLENT CRIME, AND TO PROVIDE THAT A PERSON WHO LAWFULLY USES DEADLY FORCE IS IMMUNE FROM CRIMINAL PROSECUTION AND CIVIL ACTION AND MAY NOT BE ARRESTED UNLESS PROBABLE CAUSE EXISTS THAT THE DEADLY FORCE USED WAS UNLAWFUL.

It looks very nice in 8 x 10 :)

ns66
May 16, 2011, 06:25 PM
i'd think a banner will show you are less aggressive in court since you at least put up some warning to prevent shooting from happening to begin with, instead of shooting without any warning

quatin
May 16, 2011, 06:32 PM
A home camera system would be much more of a deterrent than any sign.

Ole Coot
May 16, 2011, 07:00 PM
I have all types of alarms including the four legged ones. I am one of 12 houses on my road, all have guns and every home has at least two CCW holders. We watch each others property, let them know when we are gone and I may be pushing my luck saying this but we haven't had any problems in the over 30yrs I have lived here. We have no signs of any type and no names on the mailbox either.

ghostwriter
May 16, 2011, 08:06 PM
This works at the kids apartment complex.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w104/cdennyb/doors.jpg

mgkdrgn
May 16, 2011, 11:38 PM
A home camera system would be much more of a deterrent than any sign.
If they know the cameras are there, they can see/disable the cameras.

I have yet to see a camera stop a crime from taking place. Assist with finding who done it, maybe, but prevent or stop in progress. Nope.

Brockak47
May 17, 2011, 10:23 PM
Personally I wouldn't advertise i have weapons in my house, don't want any of em stole while im gone :x all it takes is one burglar to do some homework and steal them while the house it empty.

MonthOfAngle
May 17, 2011, 11:00 PM
Guard dog Has it covered

crossrhodes
May 17, 2011, 11:12 PM
This is a neighborhood thing. We are in a very rural area and had a rash of B&E's a few summers ago. All most every driveway and along the road we have international orange signs with black lettering that simply say
"ARMED NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH PROGRAM", no complaints from law enforcement or anyone else. But "armed" doesn't necessarily mean "firearm" either. But it keeps everyone guessing.

EmGeeGeorge
May 17, 2011, 11:13 PM
Gun Banner ('Ol Nancy P.) to deter intruders...

talldragon
May 18, 2011, 01:20 AM
No gun stickers, signs or banners on my residence or vehicle :(.
I do have some t-shirts that are gun-oriented (RKBA), but I seldom wear them anymore.
I still believe, I just don't advertise :) .
After reading all the posts in this thread; sure gave some food for thought...... ;)

Friendly, Don't Fire!
May 18, 2011, 01:28 AM
Absolutely - NO TRESPASS!
Violators will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun banner to deter would-be intruder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!