There's no way I can resist telling this one.

PDA

mljdeckard
May 8, 2011, 09:43 AM
Ok, don't read this one if you haven't eaten yet,

So my deployed unit has a smattering of M-11s. My section warrant decides he will go the easy route and carry with a pancake holster with no thumb break. WELL,

One recent afternoon, we were waiting for him to come out of the outhouse on the way to the dining facility. He sticks his head out and tells us he needs a plastic bag. NOW. We don't dare ask, but one of my guys goes to the cafeteria and gets a plastic bag and gives it to him. A minute later, he emerges with his shiny new SIG covered with blue water and.....other things. He explains to me later, he depends on the tight belt to retain the gun in the holster. He was loosening the belt, got turned around, caught the grip of the gun on the TP dispenser, and....ploop.

After much consulting from me, and a long time in the latrine, he pronounced it scrubbed to death and re-holstered.

We never speak of this.

Moral: Know your gear and have redundant security features in place.

That is all.

If you enjoyed reading about "There's no way I can resist telling this one." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
earlthegoat2
May 8, 2011, 10:02 AM
The M-11 in the story is a Sig 228 not an Ingram MAC-11 or a Cobray M-11.

I was confused about this at first.

InkEd
May 8, 2011, 10:16 AM
Takes the "to hell and back" motto to a new level.

Tim the student
May 8, 2011, 11:48 AM
I know a guy that somehow lost an M9 down into the blue lagoon the last time we deployed. You somehow look differently at a gun when you know it has been someplace like that.

Black Butte
May 8, 2011, 12:50 PM
I know Glock undergoes strenuous torture testing, but nothing like what this Sig Sauer was forced to endure. :barf:

RimfireChris
May 8, 2011, 12:58 PM
How'd the finish hold up?

Black Butte
May 8, 2011, 01:34 PM
There's more than one way to blue a gun. :)

Sorry, just had to ...

mljdeckard
May 8, 2011, 01:40 PM
He still carries it, and luckily we were able to clean it to death immediately. :)

Owen Sparks
May 8, 2011, 01:51 PM
Another reason to use a Serpa retention holster. They are not just for police. It has saved me from having a pistol bounce out while I am on a 4 wheeler.

CZguy
May 8, 2011, 03:03 PM
He still carries it, and luckily we were able to clean it to death immediately.

We were able to clean it?

Now thats what I'd call a real friend. :D

EddieNFL
May 8, 2011, 03:48 PM
...luckily we were able to clean it to death immediately.

WE??? He would have been talking to himself.

RTR_RTR
May 8, 2011, 03:53 PM
I thought for sure he was going to have a ND into the fecal water

Demarko
May 8, 2011, 04:19 PM
I wonder if one has ever been dropped down into the "blue yonder" in a construction site "porta potty".

mljdeckard
May 8, 2011, 04:26 PM
Yes, 'we'. Besides him being my boss, I'm the platoon gun guy, we have no armorer with us, so I am it.

Look at it this way. Now I know how to do it, and I have seen firsthand what the effects are. :)

cyclopsshooter
May 8, 2011, 04:30 PM
Thats funny right there!

788Ham
May 8, 2011, 05:06 PM
Thats giving the term "GI scrub" a whole new connotation huh? Was he a crappy shot after that? LOL

mljdeckard
May 8, 2011, 05:08 PM
He's actually a really good shot, he owns several SIGs as a civilian, he's the only guy in my platoon who shoots as well or better than me. We haven't had a chance to try shooting it since ......the incident.

Black Butte
May 8, 2011, 05:09 PM
Gives new meaning to "unloading" in the Porta-Potty.

EddieNFL
May 8, 2011, 05:11 PM
Besides him being my boss

Not much of a boss if he HAD you clean it. Asking would be different.

mljdeckard
May 8, 2011, 05:12 PM
He didn't need to ask.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
May 8, 2011, 05:22 PM
I've seen some of those 'pottys' that are not maintained (compared to the number of people obviously using them). You look down and it is all solid, no blue at all (and quite the stench to go with it)!

Just one big brown and white mess.

The gun would sit on top of that, there certainly wouldn't be much fishing to do to get it out! Cleaning it, that would be another story. I would want to know how to take it apart 100%!

May 8, 2011, 06:23 PM
Wow. Just wow. It seems every day I gain more respect for our men and women in uniform. If I recall, there have been a few threads for CCWers here worried about that exact problem.

A government agency I used to work for (non military) would have just written that Sig off as, "an acceptable loss."

He didn't need to ask.
I get it. My hat is off to you.

Since you had to tell it, I have to ask, has there been any change in his retention system?

EddieNFL
May 8, 2011, 06:33 PM
He didn't need to ask.
Then he's a good boss.

Not all understand the old cliché about not asking if you wouldn't do it. He does owe you a case of beer, though.

Black Butte
May 8, 2011, 06:45 PM
Normally, you wouldn't think of a Sig as a "crappy" gun.

OK, I'll stop.

May 8, 2011, 06:55 PM
Black,

You owe me a new keyboard! I'll pm you where to send it.

afponiky
May 8, 2011, 09:05 PM
Black,

Plus one on that.........

armoredman
May 8, 2011, 09:12 PM
I dropped a gun in a toilet once, but it was "unused". Did take three days for the Crimson Trace Lasergrips to dry out enough to work right again...

Maverick223
May 8, 2011, 09:53 PM
Black,

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/images/graemlins/smilies/general/rotflmo.gif ˙uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹɐ sʎǝʞ ǝɥʇ ʍou puɐ uoſ-ɐʇɹoԀ ǝɥʇ uı pǝddoɹp sɐʍ ʇı sı ɯǝlqoɹd ʎluo˙˙˙noʎ puǝs ll,I pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ǝɔıu ɐ ǝʌɐɥ I

shotgunjoel
May 8, 2011, 10:03 PM
˙uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹɐ sʎǝʞ ǝɥʇ ʍou puɐ uoſ-ɐʇɹoԀ ǝɥʇ uı pǝddoɹp sɐʍ ʇı sı ɯǝlqoɹd ʎluo˙˙˙noʎ puǝs ll,I pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ǝɔıu ɐ ǝʌɐɥ I
http://www.fliptext.org/

Maverick223
May 8, 2011, 11:02 PM
^Takin' all the fun out of my tomfoolery. :evil:

paramedic70002
May 9, 2011, 02:44 AM
At least he didn't try to catch it and shoot himself, someone else, or the can.

Bruno2
May 9, 2011, 02:54 AM
I bet it was hard not to try and catch it.

leadcounsel
May 9, 2011, 03:14 AM
I carried my M9 in a OWB pancake style holster... however there are TWO important steps in the latrine. First, always have a lanyard and second, ensure the lid is down during the dropping and raising of drawers.

Your Warrant is a rookie.

mljdeckard
May 9, 2011, 07:15 AM
In his defense, he's actually not a rookie. This is his third deployment, he's an experienced carrier and shooter. He is the one guy in the platoon I didn't need to train from the ground up on how to use a pistol. He's an experimenter. He's always trying different ways to do things. The guys make fun of me because I still use an old M-12 holster with a leg extension and a thumb break. (When I'm not using an old black leather chest holster I got issued in 1992 when I was a tanker with 3rd ID.) And a lanyard. I counseled all of my soldiers in writing that they will have lanyards on their pistols at all times.

I think now he's using a Fobus OWB most of the time.

doc2rn
May 9, 2011, 08:48 AM
As unseemly as this was believe me when I say crawling through a sewer to enter an embassy is worse. There is a reason you have mesh bags for laundry. We all got new issue, but I must say quite a few weapons where submerged when guys slipped on the unknown. Marines will do anything to protect sovereign US soil, ANYTHING!

Maverick223
May 9, 2011, 11:46 AM
Oh Lord!...that sounds like a mighty crappy experience. Thank you for your service, doc.

:)

CZguy
May 9, 2011, 06:19 PM
What the heck is it about poop that makes us laugh so much?

Here I am a grown man laughing like I was in junior high school again.

Owen Sparks
May 9, 2011, 06:47 PM
I once dumped a 1911 in the mud. Since it was totally wet anyway, I took it inside and washed it out with hot water immediately. This got practically all the dirt and sand out and by the time I had it apart most of the larger components were nearly dry because the density of the metal held the heat long enough to dry them off. I was really surprised how well this worked. There was still a little water in a few places like the firing pin channel so I striped it down and blew everything out with an air compressor before spraying it with Break Free. Good as new!

8654Maine
May 9, 2011, 07:05 PM
Now that's a SHTF gun!

Yarddog
May 9, 2011, 07:49 PM
Now that's a SHTF gun!
"[Now that's a SHTF gun!]"

No, I think he's a GHTS Fan ; )
Y/D

silverking
May 9, 2011, 08:27 PM
If the weapon had discharged during the retrieval, would that have been a classic case of "shooting the sh-t?"

By the way, how was it retrieved? I'm thinkin' a net would be the right answer.

Hunt480
May 9, 2011, 08:29 PM
So, has he shot the sh-t out of it yet?

Shadow 7D
May 9, 2011, 08:41 PM
All puns aside, does everybody sniff the air when he walks in?
But now you know which gun you want if you're ever dropped in the Sh**

crazysccrmd
May 9, 2011, 09:01 PM
I carry in a Serpa drop leg, but I always worry about this on the late night runs to the pooper when I just grab the pistol minus holster.

If you enjoyed reading about "There's no way I can resist telling this one." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!