Brass Cased 7.62x39 Ammo?

PDA

Gary G23
January 13, 2004, 03:24 PM
I broke down and ordered an AK today. Does anyone know of any reasonably priced brass cased non-corrosive ammo or am I going to be stuck with the commie stuff?

If you enjoyed reading about "Brass Cased 7.62x39 Ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
railroader
January 13, 2004, 03:59 PM
http://www.vectorarms.com/indexframe.html Have to buy it by the case but it is very reasonably priced. It also is supposed to be accurate. Mark

busdriver72
January 13, 2004, 04:09 PM
I have an SKS, and like the AK47, it's a commie gun. It's okay to use commie ammo in commie guns. When they were made and designed, it's what they had in mind. I shoot Wolf 7.62x39.

Navy joe
January 13, 2004, 04:34 PM
Here's my question. I looked at some Winchester 7.62 brass on the ground at the range. With the punishment this stuff endures ejecting from an AK, how much reloading life will you get. When you can buy 1K of good functioning commie ammo for less than 100 bucks I say commie ammo for commie guns.

rayra
January 13, 2004, 05:38 PM
seconding busdriver - what's wrong with using the ammo that was meant for the weapon? Wolf 7.62 is made at a former Sov-Block ammo factory. It IS the ammo meant for a SKS.
Are you looking for readily reloadable brass, or just subscribe to the 'steel casings are bad, m'kay?' school of thought?

I think Federal white box / American Eagle by the case is the next-best $ value, but haven't shopped it lately.

TallPine
January 13, 2004, 05:47 PM
PMC makes some brass 7.62*39 ammo with JSP bullets

But my Saiga dings the case neck upon ejection. Not sure if that can be straightened out in a reload die ...?

Why bother?

Dorrin79
January 13, 2004, 06:56 PM
Commie Ammo for Commie Guns!

Another thing to consider is that the American commercial ammos (Federal, etc.) have much softer primers than the combloc stuff. I have heard this can cause slam-fires in the commie guns :uhoh:

busdriver72
January 13, 2004, 07:40 PM
As a general rule, military rifles can handle the steel cases pretty good, and that type primer gives you a reliable detonation. The only thing I'm a bit shy about is using steel cased ammo in my .45 autos. There has been some research that suggests that the steel case is harder to eject due to its expansion in the firing chamber. Brass is more giving. Prolonged use of steel cased ammo in automatic pistols is suspected to result in pre-mature wear of the extractor, according to Kimber and Wilson. But then again, I have read conflicting opinions about this. I started out using Wolf ammo in my 45, but I have switched. It always shot good though.

railroader
January 13, 2004, 11:46 PM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=54&t=56018 Here's some 7.62X39 ammo comparisons. Mark

Black92LX
January 14, 2004, 01:52 AM
looks like my silver bear is some decent stuff. hopefully i will get to shoot it tomorrow since the range has been flooded.

Master Blaster
January 14, 2004, 12:18 PM
The only reason to shoot the brass stuff in an AK is because the range you shoot at does not allo steel jacketed ammo.

That is the case at one local range I know of.

Its a state run range and they have a magnet on the wall, if it sticks yoou cant shoot it. Remmington UMC makes brass cases and jacketed fodder but its expensive.

GigaBuist
January 14, 2004, 06:36 PM
OK, I ordered some of the above mentioned stuff. My indoor range won't let me shoot Wolf and this stuff is _pretty_ close in price.

Total, with shipping, is $184 for a case (UT to MI shipping). Yeah, I can get a case of Wolf for 80 bucks, BUT, these cases are 1440 rounds / case not 1000.

So, to buy 1440 Wolf rounds would be $115. If I knocked out the shipping it would be $115 vs $151. So, the Wolf is still cheaper, but not by a whole lot. 10.5 cents a round is pretty decent rifle plinking ammo.

Black92LX
January 14, 2004, 07:08 PM
wow 30 dollars to ship it. woooo. thankgoodness i live 10 minutes from aimsurplus and don't have to pay shipping for my ammo.

Gary G23
January 14, 2004, 10:20 PM
GigaBuist,
Have you shot the Cheetah yet?

GigaBuist
January 14, 2004, 11:54 PM
Uhm... no. That post is only a few hours old and I wrote it just after I got off the phone with the ordering. I still have to fax in my driver's license with a signed statement that its not illegal for me to purchase ammo in my home state. A little overkill, but oh well. I'll use my State ID card instead of DL though. Don't know if it's prudent to block out the actual ID numbers or not, but I might.

I'll post a range report as soon as I can upon arrival. I'm hoping I'll get the ammo and into the range within a week. The indoor range is only 25 yards so I probably won't be able to give much in accuracy unless the stuff _really_ stinks. If the weather gets warmer (like above 20 degrees) I'll see if I can take it outdoors and do some 50 to 100 yard work with it.

I do get failures to fire sometimes in my Maadi w/ Wolf so I'm wondering if this stuff will be any better. Seems like 1 in 100 don't shoot the first time through.

Now, seeing as how people are relying on me to do a proper test I guess I should take 300-400 to the indoor range and rattle through them. At least I have an "excuse" :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Brass Cased 7.62x39 Ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!