Type 38 ??????

PDA

willej
May 9, 2011, 11:20 AM
Ineed some help IDing this type 38 I am new here and any help would be great also it has some kind of stock disk

If you enjoyed reading about "Type 38 ??????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gun addict
May 9, 2011, 11:40 AM
hmm, strange it has a type 38 marking with untouched Chrysynthmum but.......a Mauser type front band? 90% it was taken by the Chinese military and converted to take a Mauser bayonet

SDC
May 9, 2011, 12:16 PM
During and after WW2, when China was being fought over by the Japanese, the Nationalist Chinese, and the Communist Chinese, it wouldn't surprise me that the Chinese would have issued any stocks of captured Japanese weapons that they got their hands on; going by the stock medallion, it looks like this one would have been used by the Communists. Another possibility might be that this rifle was used by the Communists in Korea, as Japan had an arsenal there to produce the Type 38 after they began expanding into mainland Asia.

JT-AR-MG42
May 10, 2011, 06:17 AM
Williej,

Is it a 6.5 Arisaka or has it been rechambered?

Lets see a picture of the left receiver wall with the markings on it. That would let us know if the rifle was a captured Japanese produced gun or if it was made at the Manchurian arsenal.

Interesting. Is the gun import marked? The markings are small and usually on the barrel toward the muzzle.

JT

willej
May 10, 2011, 12:08 PM
I was told it was a vietnam bring back there are no inport marks and here is the pic also a 7mm just about will chamber

Dr.Rob
May 10, 2011, 01:42 PM
That makes more sense. Vietnam was occupied by the Japanese, the French, The Chinese over the course of the last 100 years. Before we got 'big army' involved in our relatively short stay we were giving communist guerillas weapons to fight the Japanese and their Vichy French allies. (The French in the colonies were really divided as to what side to fight on in WW2.)

After WW2 we gave the French oodles of arms to fight the communists. The Chinese gave the communists piles of surplus ww2 weaponry.

Plus there was a mountain of surrendered/captured Japanese ordnance left there.

The VietCong were masters at adapting whatever they had at hand to fire whatever ammunition was available. So yes, a Mauser barrel band on a type 38 with mum intact and a dubious East Asia communist star sounds exactly like the sort of rifle to come out of Vietnam.

The seal makes it more interesting. But determining its meaning : ie was this the badge to signify VietCong 'cadet of the year' or was this a Saigon add-on before the rifle made its way home? Was it a 'parade rifle' from the North pressed into actual war service? That part is going to be harder to tell.

mortomr
May 20, 2011, 12:19 AM
+1

The VietCong were masters at adapting whatever they had at hand to fire whatever ammunition was available. So yes, a Mauser barrel band on a type 38 with mum intact and a dubious East Asia communist star sounds exactly like the sort of rifle to come out of Vietnam.

I want a "dubious East Asia communist star" for my '38 too! Neat gun.

WardenWolf
May 20, 2011, 08:56 PM
If it's a Vietnam bringback, very likely it was rechambered for 7.62x39. The Chinese rechambered a lot of their captured Arisakas for the ComBloc 7.62x39 post-World War II.

If you enjoyed reading about "Type 38 ??????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!