What's the best....

PDA

BP Hunter
May 9, 2011, 05:34 PM
OK, I have a dilemna. My wife is not into guns. She has nothing againt my collection of guns, my carrying wherever we go and even arming myself at home. She actually encourages my 10 year old daughter to go shooting with me. She has gone shooting with me only once. She shot a a Walther 22LR that she could not hit anything with. But she scored really well with my DPMS 16.5" barrled M4. I have taught her how to charge the M4 and use it. She actually bought me a Benelli Nova tactical 18.5" barrel recently because I had no "Italian" made gun. She has cycled the Benelli because I forced her how to use it.

I have asked her countless of times to come out with me so she could learn how to defend herself when I am not at home. But she refuses. My question is: what is a good HD weapon for a person who has very little experience with firearms?

Thanks for your inputs!

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the best...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chevyman097
May 9, 2011, 05:50 PM
A self defense class.

PcolaDawg
May 9, 2011, 06:04 PM
I tried a lot of different guns with my wife and she finally settled on the Kel Tec P32. She likes it, it's green - her favorite color, it doesn't have much recoil, it's simple, and she's accurate with it.

She will never love guns, so the above is the best I can do. And, ultimately, if it's the best I can do - I can live with it.

B1gGr33n
May 9, 2011, 06:05 PM
Think of the most basic functions that are on a firearm (safety, trigger, action if not auto). Now think of what the most basic common sense action would be to work any of those functions. When I think of absolute bare bones HD weapon, I think shotgun. And the barest of the bare in my opinion is the double barrel. Single trigger, simple safety, hammerless in my opinion (in the heat of the moment, it's possible to forget to cock a hammer). Granted capacity is limited, but what good is 7+ rounds if the persons brain can't work the gun under stress anyway.

Edit* A good DA revolver or grip-safety pistol would be good too. Grab, grip, and squeeze being the theme.

kingpin008
May 9, 2011, 06:40 PM
If she refuses, she refuses. Learn to take the hint. Even if you're doing this because you love her and hate the thought of anything bad happening to her, back off and let her make her own decision.

When she's ready, she'll be ready. Until then, stop trying to push the issue. Let her know that it's a topic that concerns you, and let her know that when she's ready to learn more about it or get some type of training, you'll give her all the assistance she needs to make that happen. Then drop it and walk away. Trust me.

BP Hunter
May 9, 2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks for your inputs. I am thinking of a Remington Sportsman short stock 20 gauge semiauto. Just rack and rock. But I was also thinking of installing a lazer so all she'd need to do was to point the laser to the zombie.

DAP90
May 9, 2011, 07:00 PM
A dog, cell phone, can of mace and a stun gun.

Oh - and a female friend who shoots.

If it has to be a gun I'd probably go with a 22lr handgun even though she shot the Walther poorly. I shoot the Walther poorly too. A 20 gauge shotgun would be a good choice too providing you let her pick it out. The Remington may or may not be a good fit and that might sour her to shotguns.

Shadow 7D
May 9, 2011, 07:38 PM
If you are having problems with Zombies
Might I suggest a reputable witch doctor or Voodoo priest/priestess

OTH
as for your wife, saying
"come to the range so I can teach you how kill people, because someday, maybe, you might have too"

Yeah, cell phone and a dog.
But, if you address it as,
"I want you to learn how to handle the guns, I know that you don't really like them, But, I want to make sure that you are safe, and understand how to stay safe with these guns.

And then go on to explain that IGNORANCE is deadly when firearms are involved.
Also, have you suggested that she come to the range to pass you fresh mags, and load etc. you know, cause even if she isn't shooting, you are "Spending time together", and if she objects, compare an outing to the range to shopping. It's a win, the next time she wants to shop, your out of it if she didn't bother to come to the range.

kingpin008
May 9, 2011, 07:39 PM
So let me get this straight - you're willing to basically ignore the wishes of a wife who (even though she obviously doesn't like guns) encourages your carrying of a gun and taking your daughter shooting with you, just because you think she should have something to grab in case of a break-in.

Classy. :rolleyes:

tlatoani
May 9, 2011, 08:16 PM
Just be happy she is ok with your collection/shooting. Let her be.

Gordon_Freeman
May 9, 2011, 10:50 PM
Even if you showed her how to use a gun she would probably be unwilling to use it to defend herself. That would be my guess from what you described.

Brock Landers
May 9, 2011, 10:54 PM
Taser? Pepper spray?

I agree with the other posters - I wouldn't push to hard if it's obvious she's not into it.

towboat_er
May 9, 2011, 11:11 PM
A sawed off single shot shotgun. Show her how to load and fire it. Leave it in the bedroom. Show her where you put the shells.

BP Hunter
May 9, 2011, 11:29 PM
Yes, a double barreled 20 gauge shotgun would be nice. My LGS has one...hmmmm

Owen Sparks
May 9, 2011, 11:37 PM
Self defense starts with attitude not tools. Some people are born victims and will go like lambs to the slaughter.

ArmedLiberal
May 9, 2011, 11:38 PM
You might not be the best person to introduce your wife to firearms.

Give her a chance to learn with other teachers, perhaps a firearms introductory class for women if she's interested.

Here's a firearms site oriented towards women with a ton of excellent information.

http://www.corneredcat.com/

I recommend you read the chapter on men introducing firearms to their wives.

http://www.corneredcat.com/Men/wifehateguns.aspx

kingpin008
May 9, 2011, 11:54 PM
Yes, a double barreled 20 gauge shotgun would be nice.

For you, or for your wife?

I'm honestly curious - why keep pushing if you've already ascertained she's not interested? What do you hope to gain by shoving your opinion that she must be armed and must be willing to use it down her throat?

B1gGr33n
May 10, 2011, 11:13 AM
kingpin008: I'm missing the part where he's gonna FORCE her to use it. As I understand it, he wants a firearm in the house that should she feel the need to use it, will be easy enough for her to grab and go. I understand that thinking perfectly. My fiance isn't a gun nut, but she has no problem with mine. She goes to the range with me on occasion, but usually just to watch. I have a 12ga pump mounted on her side of the bed that she knows how to use and is comfortable with, and that makes me feel 100% more comfortable that the option is there should she want to take it.

kingpin008
May 10, 2011, 11:39 AM
B1gGr33n - You may be right, but based on some of the wording in his original post:

She has cycled the Benelli because I forced her how to use it.

and

I have asked her countless of times to come out with me so she could learn how to defend herself when I am not at home. But she refuses.

I wonder if that's really the case. To me, it sounds like she's given her answer, and he doesn't want to accept it. That seems to be the case here as well - a few of us have recommended either dropping the matter or finding her some sort of unarmed self defense class, yet he ignores those comments, responding only to the ones suggesting different firearms. Once again, that sounds like someone who knows what he wants to hear and will selectively respond until someone chimes in with the right answer.

BP Hunter
May 10, 2011, 11:58 AM
OK, OK...I must have used the words wrong. I guess I mean to say that I have INVITED her many times to teach her how to shoot. There were no physical or verbal force to get her to shoot with me. Believe me, us married men, know very well that you cannot FORCE your wife to do anything if they do not want to.

kingpin008: I'm missing the part where he's gonna FORCE her to use it. As I understand it, he wants a firearm in the house that should she feel the need to use it, will be easy enough for her to grab and go. I understand that thinking perfectly. My fiance isn't a gun nut, but she has no problem with mine. She goes to the range with me on occasion, but usually just to watch. I have a 12ga pump mounted on her side of the bed that she knows how to use and is comfortable with, and that makes me feel 100% more comfortable that the option is there should she want to take it.

B1gGr33n nailed my thoughts.

surjimmy
May 10, 2011, 12:10 PM
Tell her you love her and respect her wish's. Leave a 38 revolver where she can get it, tell her where it's at, tell her all she has to do is( pick it up point and pull the trigger). Then drop the subject and don't bring it up again.

ForumSurfer
May 10, 2011, 12:17 PM
So you want to buy your significant other a ____ .

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=564531

No matter what you buy her, if she isn't 100% comfortable she will never used it, especially in a stressful situation. :)

kingpin008
May 10, 2011, 12:19 PM
BP - I guess what I'm wondering is why it has to be a gun. A huge part of effective self defense with a firearm is practicing and being familar with it. If your wife has expressed such an unwavering refusal to learn to shoot, why bother pursuing it?

Get her involved in some other means of defense - then, once she has some skills and a better understanding of why they're important to have, remind her that you're still willing to show her how to use firearms if she wants to add another level of skills to her self defense repetoire.

BP Hunter
May 10, 2011, 12:25 PM
I wonder if that's really the case. To me, it sounds like she's given her answer, and he doesn't want to accept it. That seems to be the case here as well - a few of us have recommended either dropping the matter or finding her some sort of unarmed self defense class, yet he ignores those comments, responding only to the ones suggesting different firearms. Once again, that sounds like someone who knows what he wants to hear and will selectively respond until someone chimes in with the right answer.

The funny thing in this post is that I actually did not get the answer I was looking for - what is the best HD weapon???

I wasn't asking for how to deal with my wife, I think I know how to do that.

mbt2001
May 10, 2011, 12:29 PM
You can bring a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

It is enough that she supports your interests and basically knows how to unload / load a gun. Forcing her to do something is just going to make her dislike what you are doing. Something will happen that will cause her to want to learn more about guns, but until SHE decides it is enough that you have a good relationship and no static about hobby's and so forth.

To your other question, the less moving parts the better. A double barrel or single shot 20gauge or .410 is easy to use, powerful, and simple. I would go that direction. Or some other basic revolver, pump shotgun direction.

EDIT:

My wife was like yours. She tolerated / was supportive of firearms. Then, a few years ago, at 4:00am a guy was running around in our back yard. That totally changed her thought process, she admitted she was happy to have a gun in the house, that she might need to use one and so forth. Reading fiction / non-fiction books that have a self defense type theme might help.

BP Hunter
May 10, 2011, 12:30 PM
Oops, sorry for the last post I should have read the previos posts before my post Yes, a revolver is a good option.

I actually have the 870 12 gauge and Bersa Thunder .380 at her disposal. She knows where they are. I really do hope that she would never have to use them.

thanks.:)

saenzrich
May 10, 2011, 12:32 PM
+1 haha so true....who would know better how to deal with your wife than...You.

As for my wife she can't rack the slide on most of my guns so I got her a Ruger sp101 3" with some 38spl loads, its the only gun she'll shoot at the range that she's not scared of.

kingpin008
May 10, 2011, 12:35 PM
The funny thing in this post is that I actually did not get the answer I was looking for - what is the best HD weapon???

Actually, a few people mentioned things like getting a dog or some mace...but you ignored them. Others have made the excellent point of what good is ANY weapon, if she's not going to use it?

So, have fun selectively choosing which answers to respond to - hopefully you'll get the one you want soon.

DAP90
May 10, 2011, 12:36 PM

Which, given her attitude towards guns, may not actually be a gun. The best HD weapons may be strong locks and a phone - a loud dog - a SD class - whatever.

A gun can actually be a liability in some cases.

If you want a 20 gauge SxS by all means, purchase one, show her how to use it and where it and the ammo are stored but don't think that actually makes her protected by itself.

mbt2001
May 10, 2011, 12:38 PM
I actually have the 870 12 gauge and Bersa Thunder .380 at her disposal. She knows where they are. I really do hope that she would never have to use them.

Is it cut down to fit her? 12gauge kicks hard, I shoot them regularly and do not like the kick, I wouldn't want my wife to shoot one, especially one that wasn't sized for her.

I do not like auto's for women, trouble racking slide and more moving parts. Get something that is hers for her, that she maintains, owns, and is responsible for. Something that satisfies her need for safety and simplicity that is not intimidating. Revolvers are safe, easy to tell if they are loaded, no chamber or FTF issues.

P.S. Firearms are the most efficient tool for defense, but they are not the only tool. I second getting her input about security and defense rather than you telling her what she should do.

Remo223
May 10, 2011, 12:40 PM
A sawed off single shot shotgun. Show her how to load and fire it. Leave it in the bedroom. Show her where you put the shells.
do yourself a favor and ignore this advice

rellascout
May 10, 2011, 12:46 PM

If this is the case I am not sure what the issue is? She has defensive weapons at her disposal if she needs them.

IMHO I agree with other posters who are suggesting things like a Dog, cell phone, good locks, heavy doors & security system etc. 99% of the time criminals are looking for the easiest target on the block. The #1 think you can do to keep yourself and your wife safe is to do things which make you a less attractive target.

Why force the issue? If someone is not comfortable with shooting & does not enjoy shooting they are not going to become proficent enough to properly respond to a real life threat.

Just becaues "we" love guns does not mean the person we choose as our partner does. You seem intent on converting her. Honestly I have to ask why?

oneounceload
May 10, 2011, 12:51 PM
Thanks for your inputs. I am thinking of a Remington Sportsman short stock 20 gauge semiauto. Just rack and rock. But I was also thinking of installing a lazer so all she'd need to do was to point the laser to the zombie.

First - YOU need to stop thinking you know what's best for HER - Stop right now and do not pursue that flawed thought process any further.

Have her (and you), read Thecorneredcat.com - written by a woman for women (and stubborn male counterparts)

Then get her a lesson where you are no where to be found

THEN let HER decide what she needs, if anything at all. A can of bear spray may be all she wants, or she might go hard-core for a Title II gun - it's HER decision to make

Happiness and tranquility in the household will then come to pass

hirundo82
May 10, 2011, 01:00 PM
But she scored really well with my DPMS 16.5" barrled M4.

Offer to buy her her own AR15. Tell her that you'll get furniture for it in her favorite color.

BP Hunter
May 10, 2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks for all of your comments. Believe me ALL have helped, not as Kingpin has implied that I have selectively chosen to answer and wanted to hear. I will ask her what she REALLY wants.:p

Thank you all!:)

AlexanderA
May 10, 2011, 01:10 PM
Most women are rather practical-minded (as opposed to most men....). This goes back to the days of the cavemen, when the women would maintain the homes, raise the children, and cook the food while the men were out hunting and waging war on one another.

Anyway, when it comes to self-defense, I think women go on the basis of concrete perceived threats, rather than some vague notion of "self-protection" in the absence of such credible threats. And, indeed, if there were such credible threats, their first reaction might be to move away from such a crime-plagued area, rather than arming themselves.

Consider yourself lucky that your wife doesn't object to your interest in guns. (Often, such an objection takes the form of opposition to spending money on guns, rather than to the guns themselves.) I'd let sleeping dogs lie if I were you.

kingpin008
May 10, 2011, 01:16 PM
BP - Thank you for taking the initiative and asking her. At the end of the day, that's what was getting me so frustrated - it seemed like you had this agenda, and would not be swayed.

I apologize if I came across rude or snarky - this is a particularly charged subject for me (and others) for a number of reasons. In the end, we all want the best answer for those involved, ya know? Hopefully you & your wife can come to an agreement that works for the both of you, and keeps her safe should the need arise.

Snowbandit
May 10, 2011, 01:17 PM
My wife shows little interest in firearms also. I'll but her anything she wants but, in the mean time, there is a S&W, 640, 38 Special available for her use should she desire. I'm not going to push the issue anymore. I doubt she could hit anything with it but that's on her now. We have a range in the garden behind the barn and plenty of ammo for her to practice with. I'm a certified firearms instructor and have even offered to have someone else teach her. Nothing else I can do at this point. She's taken the PPCT training so she's not helpless I guess. There's also that 150 Boxer/Rott cross that someone would have to deal with if they wanted to mess with her.

BP Hunter
May 10, 2011, 01:32 PM
I apologize if I came across rude or snarky - this is a particularly charged subject for me (and others) for a number of reasons. In the end, we all want the best answer for those involved, ya know? Hopefully you & your wife can come to an agreement that works for the both of you, and keeps her safe should the need arise.

I'm cool, brother!:)

hermannr
May 10, 2011, 02:06 PM
Hej BP hunter: May I suggest a High Standard Olympic (22 short only) with the compensator to get her started on. Or a High Standard Trophy (22 LR with an extra barrel and slide for 22 shorts?

My wife was not a shooter until I purchased an old High Standard Trophy with 3 barrels and 2 slides for her. She really prefers the 22 short only setup, (I know don't laugh), with the compensater attached. Now all she wants to do is go shooting.

I am not sure the reason, but I suspect it is because she does not (or cannot) grip the pistol firmly. Firing .22 shorts out of a compensated 3lb+ pistol has almost no recoil even if the pistol is held lightly.

She absolutely does not like to shoot my double action Colt, even though it has a very smooth trigger pull and she has shot it before... I'm not sure, but if she was put in a defensive situation that she would pound 10 rounds of .22LR out of her Trophy into a perp first before she would ever think of picking up that Colt.

One other option might be that fire breathing .22 called the FN FiveseveN. Awfull expensive to just experiment with though if you do not want one for yourself.

Onward Allusion
May 10, 2011, 02:07 PM
BP Hunter (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=24324)

What's the best....
OK, I have a dilemna. My wife is not into guns. She has nothing againt my collection of guns, my carrying wherever we go and even arming myself at home. She actually encourages my 10 year old daughter to go shooting with me. She has gone shooting with me only once. She shot a a Walther 22LR that she could not hit anything with. But she scored really well with my DPMS 16.5" barrled M4. I have taught her how to charge the M4 and use it. She actually bought me a Benelli Nova tactical 18.5" barrel recently because I had no "Italian" made gun. She has cycled the Benelli because I forced her how to use it.

I have asked her countless of times to come out with me so she could learn how to defend herself when I am not at home. But she refuses. My question is: what is a good HD weapon for a person who has very little experience with firearms?

There is no "best". Get her training. A revolver would generally be simpler than a semi-auto for newbies.

Most of all it is a matter of mindset. Sell it to your wife by stating that everyone in the family needs to take responsibility for its safety, including her. Ask her what she would do if there was a home invasion and she was the only thing standing between the BG and her daughter. I know it sounds harsh and callous, but sometimes reality is that way.

sixgunner455
May 10, 2011, 02:44 PM
She's an adult. She doesn't want to shoot.

Learn to live with it, and buy a big dog.

rellascout
May 10, 2011, 03:39 PM
There is no "best". Get her training. A revolver would generally be simpler than a semi-auto for newbies.

Most of all it is a matter of mindset. Sell it to your wife by stating that everyone in the family needs to take responsibility for its safety, including her. Ask her what she would do if there was a home invasion and she was the only thing standing between the BG and her daughter. I know it sounds harsh and callous, but sometimes reality is that way.

:confused:

Honestly why can't people accept that some people do not like to shoot, do not have an interest in shooting and that trying to scare or manipulate them into shooting is not a good idea.

ForumSurfer
May 10, 2011, 03:45 PM
Honestly why can't people accept that some people do not like to shoot, do not have an interest in shooting and that trying to scare or manipulate them into shooting is not a good idea.

I gotta agree with rellascout. I don't care to use scare tactics on my loved ones. The most you can do is lead by example and hope they pick it up. :)

Remo223
May 10, 2011, 03:57 PM
I used a different tactic with women.(before I gave up talking to them about guns I mean)

I would debate them on the ethics of gun ownership. My belief is that it is a matter of civic duty to own and practice with a firearm...and that a secondary benefit is that it is just plain fun. Women like to learn the details of guns, in my experience. They don't like the smell and noise of guns though. I would get them hooked by first convincing them that they are not being good citizens by not owning a gun, then teaching them all the different features, parts, and safe handling practices of different types of guns. They pretty much universally like guns at this point. After that its a matter of getting them to a shooting range for their first experience.

This is the point where you are most likely to lose them. many women just do NOT want anything to do with the noise and the smell of gunfire.

ForumSurfer
May 10, 2011, 04:10 PM
many women just do NOT want anything to do with the noise and the smell of gunfire.

And some can't get enough of it. I surprised my last girlfriend with left handed controls and an ambidextrous charging handle for my AR one Friday. I got a better response than the 1st time I sent her flowers.

I'm just saying we shouldn't try to sway them at all. Lead by example, and if anyone wants to follow that is great. I'm not moving on my opinion on self or family defense, but I'm willing to share it. Most times, whoever I'm dating will come around. For those that don't, no amount of arguments from me are going to matter. The last thing I want is to teach someone to rely on a weapon for self defense when they technically are only doing it because I talked them into it, not because they genuinely want to protect themselves. Now you have an armed and unsure person who may make a situation worse than it was.

txhoghunter
May 10, 2011, 04:16 PM
Forcing a gun into her hands will do the exact opposite of what you are wanting. My mother was the same way until I caught two guys lurking around our house and peeping into the windows. If I wasn't home, they could have broken in, and neither my mother nor my little brother know how to use a gun.

Even if you leave her a gun, if she does not have the mindset that she will kill a human being if she needs to.....well, it will have little use.

You need to give her her space, and wait until she is ready.

ForumSurfer
May 10, 2011, 05:01 PM
My mother was the same way until I caught two guys lurking around our house and peeping into the windows.

Yep, some people can't be swayed. I have a coworker like that. Even after his neighbors were victims of home invasions, he didn't believe in armed response. He figured he would be ok if he just followed the assailants orders and offer no resistance.

Low and behold, I bumped into him at my local gun store one day. He was taking his CCW class!?

He stated someone kicked in his door while his family was home. Everyone was fine, but severely rattled. We talked briefly. He said in the past he had silently agreed with me on some of my conversations about self defense and gun control, but stuck to his guns by staying anti and preaching about not offering resistance. He told me that once it happened to him, or nearly happened...he realized just how helpless he felt to protect himself or his family. That is a story I've heard from more than one person. Some people can never be convinced until it happens to them, or they make their own decision.

HGM22
May 10, 2011, 05:12 PM
As others have said don't force the issue. Give her time to think about it. Remember, if she has a gun but doesn't want/know how to use it the gun could very well be a liability, not an asset. This would be my biggest concern.

Have you talked to her about non-firearm defense? Making sure the doors/windows are locked, having a charged cell phone nearby at all times (AKA her carry piece), awareness (including not opening door to strangers), etc. These may not be what you want but a good, locked door and a call to the police can be just, if not more, effective. Besides, if you ever have to use a weapon in self defense it would be very helpful to have her simultaneously calling the police (remind her to let the police know you are armed).

On the other hand, if one day she does decide she'd like a weapon, and that weapon is a firearm, then I'd suggest a .38spc revolver. No safety to forget to take off, no jam drill to learn, no stiff spring to pull back, etc. Don't forget a flashlight though!

Old krow
May 10, 2011, 05:43 PM
I believe that a revolver will have the simplest manual of arms and likely the easiest to use assuming that only one cylinder is needed.

If she wants a gun, I'd let her pick. I don't think that was the intent of your question though.

Remember, if she has a gun but doesn't want/know how to use it the gun could very well be a liability, not an asset. This would be my biggest concern.

For that reason I would stay away from long arms personally. A handgun could be more discrete.

And this is how you need to deal with your wife.... :rolleyes:

gtd
May 10, 2011, 09:52 PM
We lived in a bad apartment building in an almost-bad neighborhood. I insisted, and "made" my wife but a .32 revolver. Affordable, simple. She would have none of it, and it stayed hidden in its case in a closet.

One day I came home from work and the loaded revolver was resting on the dresser. I asked, "Is there a problem?" To which she replied, "Not now." Nothing more was said about it, and I left the gun where it was.

She has zero interest in guns, shooting, and self-defense training. She has a very keen fight-or-flight interest when the situation demands it. God help anyone who tries to break in when I'm not home to buffer the response.

That's the way it's going to be, and it works for us.

Onward Allusion
May 10, 2011, 11:48 PM
rellascout (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=14519)

Quote: There is no "best". Get her training. A revolver would generally be simpler than a semi-auto for newbies.

:confused:

Honestly why can't people accept that some people do not like to shoot, do not have an interest in shooting and that trying to scare or manipulate them into shooting is not a good idea. Please read my post again. It was assumed that by taking responsibility for the safety of one's family requires shooting firearms. Sure, firearms is one way but there are many different ways a person can take responsibility for the safety of their family - they are too numerous to count. Mindset is the first step. If it requires taking a person out of their comfort zone, so be it. Everyone (if they're a decent person) is responsible for their own safety and that of their loved ones, including the OP's wife. Of course it is fine if the OP's wife doesn't like firearms, but there are many different avenues (pepper spray, taser, knife, locking doors, security system, big dog, cell phone...etc..etc), but based on the OP's post it doesn't sound like there's a plan on how she would defend her and her daughter when the OP is not around. That is the first step.

hso
May 11, 2011, 12:02 AM
Either encourage her to find what she likes on her own or leave her alone and spend some money on hardening your house.

She doesn't have to want to learn to use a gun and the harder you push the less likely you are to get the result you want. You've done your part, shown her how to run the AR, let her do hers.

doc2rn
May 11, 2011, 12:51 AM
She believes she has the right weapon at home...YOU BP! I know your thought process and hers move separately, and my GF thinks the same way. She sleeps like a baby as long as I keep "it" my Colt Diamondback on "my" side of the bed. It is fine by me cause she knows where it is, just in case. I have even caught her holding it a time or two, but never approached her just because I wanted her to be comfortable and not embarrassed. Women do things by mood not logic, so make her happy and see where it goes.

kingpin008
May 11, 2011, 12:14 PM
Women do things by mood not logic

Can we keep the sexist generalizations out of this discussion? I'm not trying to be the PC Police, but stuff like that add nothing to the discussion and may very well turn off folks who come here looking for info.

Remo223
May 11, 2011, 05:39 PM
had you not brought attention to it probably no one would've noticed.

jon_in_wv
May 11, 2011, 05:47 PM
]I believe we all have our roles to play on earth. Just because I am of a defensive mindset doesn't mean others think the same way. If your wife had musical talent, and you don't, should she force you to take piano lessons? I'm in the Same boat you are with your wife. Show what you can but sometimes you have to accept you are the protector so she can be something else.

Mikenmel08
May 11, 2011, 05:54 PM
My wife is not into guns either but knows how to handle and fire one just incase I am not home. But as for her carrying one that's not going to happen. We reached a happy medium this year finally after years of discussions on this matter. She let me buy her a Taser that she keeps with her at all times, and gives me a little more piece of mind as well. Just another option.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the best...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!