Early arsenal refinish gold-toned parkerizing

PDA

45_auto
May 10, 2011, 02:08 PM
I recently came across a Colt .45 automatic that was made in 1918. Finish on it is a gold parkerizing on the frame and slide, with all the rest of the small parts still in a bright blue.

I recall a big thick gun book from at least 15-20 years ago (Gun Values, Firearms Digest, whatever - I can't remember!) that described the original gold-toned parkerizing and arsenal rebuild process in the early 1920's and had pictures of an identical .45.

Any else remember what book that was in?

If you enjoyed reading about "Early arsenal refinish gold-toned parkerizing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
May 10, 2011, 02:32 PM
Gold Parkerizing?
Now THAT is going to require pictures.

rcmodel
May 10, 2011, 04:51 PM
+1

Never anything the military did as far as I ever heard of.

Parkerizing came out in various shades of gray, almost black, and almost OD green, but never gold.
Colts redone in the 1920's would have been the almost black.

It mostly depended on how used up or contaminated the Parkerizing solution was on what color came out of the tank. They were more picky pre-WWII then they were later on.

rc

45_auto
May 10, 2011, 09:05 PM
Gold-toned parked 1918 Colt on bottom left, blued pre-70 on top left, nickel on top right, mangese parked bottom right for color reference.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/46auto/DSC00600.jpg

Close up of the Colt. Barrel, barrel plug, slide release, safety, hammer, MS housing, and trigger are all original. Sights and grips had been replaced sometime in it's past life.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/46auto/DSC00596.jpg

Wish I still had the book with the color plates describing the early re-parking process in the early 1920's. Hopefully somone out there will remember it and have a copy .....

If you enjoyed reading about "Early arsenal refinish gold-toned parkerizing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!