To move it, or not move it? (Sight)

PDA

bigalexe
May 10, 2011, 09:32 PM
Alright the answer is probably do whatever I want but I figured I would throw this to the community and see what you guys have to say.

I have a new S&W 22A pistol which has an adjustable rear sight. The sights are the kind with a front blade and rear notch. Out of the box it was shooting a mile high which doesn't bug me being adjustable. After some adjustment it still shoots high if you drop the top of the front blade level with the top of the rear sight. I found that the gun is actually on target (dropped 4 shots inside the 9 ring of a B8 target @ 25 yards) if you put the top of the blade about 2/3 of the way down in the rear notch.

So here is the situation; I naturally want the top of the blade to be level with the top of the rear sight however I have found a way to make the gun shoot where it is supposed to without any further adjustment.

Would you continue to mess with the sight and try to make it line up level or leave it and adjust your sight picture to match what the gun is doing?

If you enjoyed reading about "To move it, or not move it? (Sight)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M-Cameron
May 10, 2011, 09:47 PM
ummm......if its shooting on target.....why change it?

i dont understand what the problem is.......

Justin
May 10, 2011, 09:50 PM
Your sights are adjustable.

Adjust them.

Problem solved.

shotgunjoel
May 10, 2011, 09:54 PM
Nevermind, totally misread the OP. Just adjust it.

wrench
May 10, 2011, 10:08 PM
adjust the sight.

txhoghunter
May 10, 2011, 10:10 PM
This, my friend, is what the adjustable in adjustable sights is for :)

kingpin008
May 10, 2011, 10:13 PM
If it's not shooting how you want it to, adjust it until it does. Kind of a no-brainer IMHO.

Guns and more
May 11, 2011, 01:39 AM
I'd keep adjusting until it was right.........unless, it required me to change out the sight, and doing so would result in a big ugly scratch on the slide/barrel.

45_auto
May 11, 2011, 06:52 AM
I have a new S&W 22A

If you still have some adjustment, then adjust the sight!

Since it's new, if you've used up all the adjustment and it's still shooting high - then contact S&W and let them fix it. That's what your warranty is for.

I had a new 686 with an excessive flash gap. They had me send it to their authorized repair shop here in Louisiana - Clark Custom Guns. They set the barrel back to fix the flash gap and as a bonus did the best trigger job I've ever seen on a revolver.

Tim the student
May 11, 2011, 11:01 AM
Why wouldn't you adjust them?

Flynt
May 11, 2011, 11:14 AM
I'd shoot it a couple more times and see if it still needs adjustment, just for fun. I have found that my POI occassionally changes as I get used to a new gun.

InkEd
May 11, 2011, 11:18 AM
Dial it in with the ammo you like best and leave it afterward.

Cop Bob
May 11, 2011, 05:08 PM
If I read your post correctly, that "After some Adjustment" it is still shooting high... if your sight adjustment has hit the end of it's travel and it is still high, send it back to the factory... end, the warranty only lasts so long.. and I HATE picking up guns that I have to learn to shoot all over again every time I pick them up...

If it acts that way at 25 yards, where will it be at 10, or at 50? the problem will only amplify at various distances.. other folks that pick it up and want to shoot it will think it's a POS or they will wonder why your happy with it....

Just get it fixed, you will be glad you did..

MrCleanOK
May 11, 2011, 05:28 PM
Adjust it until point of impact matches your point of aim with a correct, repeatable sight picture. If you have maxed out the adjustment and it still won't zero, send it back to S&W

bigalexe
May 13, 2011, 12:19 AM
Ok the reason I posted is that when I start turning screws on stuff the results aren't always what is expected. So as soon as the screwdriver is entered into play I run the risk of ending up taking the gun further out of sight than it already is.

I was just curious what you guys thought of leaving it with a slightly incorrect sight picture.

General Geoff
May 13, 2011, 01:47 AM
I was just curious what you guys thought of leaving it with a slightly incorrect sight picture.
Doesn't make any sense, the sights are adjustable for a reason.

M-Cameron
May 14, 2011, 08:21 AM
Ok the reason I posted is that when I start turning screws on stuff the results aren't always what is expected. So as soon as the screwdriver is entered into play I run the risk of ending up taking the gun further out of sight than it already is.

here is how you sight in a gun:

1) take 3-5 shots at the target with proper sight picture....

2) if shots are not in center, make small adjustments ( read the manual to learn which direction to turn sights)

3) take 3-5 more shots

4) repeat as necessary.

there is not a single shooter alive who would advocate shooting with an improper sight picture.......you will never get any accuracy because you will never be able to improperly line up the sights the same way every time.

bigalexe
June 6, 2011, 09:29 PM
I finally got around to posting about my adjustment, summer has this thing where I am not on the PC as much.

Result... if in doubt adjust until you get a correct sight picture. I found that even though I had a way I could reliably hit with the incorrect picture it took a long time for me to set that up, lots of mental effort. The correct picture (front & rear level) just looks right and my hands just do it, there is not nearly as much intense cerebral effort required to make the sights line up.

Tim the student
June 6, 2011, 10:16 PM
Good, glad you got it worked out.

imthedude101
June 15, 2012, 10:39 AM
One of the reasons for an adjustable sight is so that you can always use the same sight picture regardless of the firearm you pick up. If you have to "tweak" your sight picture for every gun, that would just drive me crazy.

On the 22A, the rear sight indicates right next to the screw the direction the group will move based on the direction you turn the screw. Want the group to go right, hold the pistol so the barrel is pointing to your right, and turn the windage screw to the right. To get the group to go down, turn the elevation screw to the left. Have fun shooting!

Sam1911
June 15, 2012, 10:42 AM
Check the dates. Looks like this problem was solved over a year ago.

If you enjoyed reading about "To move it, or not move it? (Sight)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!