Shooting towards the Left

PDA

SkinnyGrey
May 14, 2011, 02:01 AM
I have been shooting to the left for some time now. However, I recently made an adjustment by putting some pressure on the gun with my left thumb. This has made my shot much more accurate as it compensated for whatever was making my shot shoot left.

But I wonder if keeping pressure on the left side of the gun with my left thumb is a bad habit in itself.

All opinions welcome!

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting towards the Left" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sidheshooter
May 14, 2011, 04:08 AM
Whew. For a sec there, I thought you were going after Susan Sarandon or Alan Alda...

;)

http://10point9.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/target_shooting_diagnosis-300x291.jpg

Heretic
May 14, 2011, 10:07 AM
So did I...Well maybe the next thread

9mmepiphany
May 14, 2011, 05:21 PM
You might take a look at this

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=592162

Walkalong
May 14, 2011, 09:02 PM
Neat video.

I have found what is most crucial, to me, after figuring out how firmly to hold the pistol, is the ability to work the trigger/trigger finger as a separate entity from the gun and grip. Or put another way, to pull the trigger without affecting the grip. I also like to imagine I am dry firing to help eliminate the brain compensating for anticipated recoil. We should fire the gun like there is going to be no recoil. Why do folks shoot .22 LR well easier than .44 Mag? Well, duh..... :)

Sunray
May 15, 2011, 01:44 AM
"...pressure on the gun with my left thumb..." It won't do anything one way or the other. How well does the firearm fit your hand? Could be that or what's in the diagrams.
The left hand diagram is different. Both are here in free .pdf format. Bit more than half way down. Opens another browser that you can add to your 'Favorites'. http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf.html

Mr.Davis
May 15, 2011, 08:27 AM
I used to push the gun low and to the left. I'm a righty.

I solved it by disciplining myself to focus my eyes on the front sight and to press the trigger, under control, directly to the rear.

I recommend doing some dry-fire practice in your home pointing at a small object like a doorknob. Make sure your sights stay lined up on target through your entire trigger pull.

Master the muscle memory feel at a snail's pace, then speed it up as you get more consistent.

altitude_19
May 15, 2011, 09:17 AM
What pistol? Some platforms present unique issues that cause the problem.

W.E.G.
May 15, 2011, 09:19 AM
Hold the gun naturally.

Once you can achieve consistent location of groups, adjust the sights until your group is centered.

altitude_19
May 15, 2011, 10:21 AM
Has the OP even said he has adjustable sights? We really need to know what pistol this is all about before we hazard a guess as to how to fix it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting towards the Left" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!