Gander Mountain going out of business?

PDA

DC Plumber
May 14, 2011, 08:10 PM
Geez,

I went to Gander Mountain to get some Trail Boss. Their reloading department looked more sick than usual. Maybe ten 1 lb. cans of powder and the same for the bigger ones (4 pounders?). Maybe 20 boxes of Hornady, Speer, Nosler and Sierra bullets each. Terrible brass selection too. Now, I buy all of my stuff from Midway except powder because of the hazmat fee, so it's irrelevant, but I find it hard to believe non the less. Also, a box of Hornady 125g JHP XTP .357 bullets for 24.99 is a little nuts. No wonder online shopping is thriving. Or, maybe it's because online shopping is thriving that places like Gander Mountain are dying.

Is handloading that specialized of an industry that it's difficult for a brick and motar store to stock this stuff?

If you enjoyed reading about "Gander Mountain going out of business?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HGM22
May 14, 2011, 08:13 PM
I'm not sure what's up with Gander. With their prices I wonder how they stay in business.

Remo223
May 14, 2011, 08:13 PM
I'd probably guess they aren't going out of business...just trimming down on stuff that doesn't require an FFL to sell.

Inksinme2
May 14, 2011, 08:26 PM
the gander mountain by me had a 25% off sale on all of their reloading stuff, but they had nothing in stock so needless to say i didn't buy anything. i too order most of my reloading materials from midway, very reasonable prices and they ship faster than anyone i have ever seen.

chevyman097
May 14, 2011, 10:02 PM
I hardly shopped at Gander mountain anyways due to their ridiculous prices. But I did go in there before we got our Academy put in, just to browse and touch firearms : ).

After Academy went in our Gander Mountain started looking the same. Bare shelves, half the guns they used to, lots of clearance items.....ive been wondering if Academy is putting them out. Serves em right. Academy daily prices are better than Gander mountain "sale" prices. Not to mention the staff was nothing more than a bunch of teenage girls on cells phones and a few guys at the gun counter that didnt know crap.

Mosin Nagants for 149 bucks, psh come on.

USAF_Vet
May 14, 2011, 10:04 PM
I know a lot of businesses aren't ordering as much or as often due to the mark-up because of increasing gas prices. Gander mtn is not immune, and could learn to lower their prices overall. Wouldn't be overly upset tho, they are my last pick for guns and accessories.

Shovelhead
May 14, 2011, 10:08 PM
Gander Mtn opened a store in the Richmond VA area a couple of years ago,....their prices were :eek: .......
Then Bass Pro Shops built a store about 10 minutes away. :neener:

HOOfan_1
May 14, 2011, 10:11 PM
Gander Mtn opened a store in the Richmond VA area a couple of years ago,....their prices were :eek: .......

10 minutes...if you are walking. 2-3 minutes by car. Green Top is another 5 minutes by car from either of them.

Old Fuff
May 14, 2011, 10:12 PM
Most retailers will stock what they can sell for a profit, and close out what they can't and turn to something else. Maybe there's a lesson somewhere in that. :scrutiny:

Taurus 66
May 14, 2011, 10:20 PM
Gander Mountain going out of business

It's never a good thing to watch a company go out of business, even though they may have had prices above and beyond competitive retail. I would rather they stay in business ..... so that we all have somewhere to go after a hard day at work just to browse, laugh, and loosen up. :D

I give my sincerest apology, but I'm not buying a standard out of the box Savage .22 WMR bolt action for $377 ... no umm, sorry!

bubbacrabb
May 14, 2011, 10:27 PM
Its just sad that we have to rely on all these mega sporting good stores anymore. I remember growing up I went to Gasways sporting goods in my little home town in Indiana. Guns, nightcrawlers, etc. Everything you needed to catch a fish, or kill a deer. Then came walmarts, gander mountain, etc. Nomore little man that knew everything about everything he sold. I do think the internet market is taking most of the business anymore. I know I dont buy anything that isnt online anymore it seams. I am on a first name basis with my UPS guy. Sad, but thats the new world I think.

clutch
May 14, 2011, 10:39 PM
If they are, I sure will not miss them. It is a clothing store for the most part anyway and they cater to those with enough money they don't have to use their brains when shopping.

Clutch

Hypnogator
May 15, 2011, 12:54 AM
10 minutes...if you are walking. 2-3 minutes by car.

Or, if it were in Northern Virginia, 10 minutes by car, 2-3 minutes if you are walking! :neener::neener::neener:

Been there, done that. Never again!:evil:

ErikO
May 15, 2011, 02:01 AM
I remember growing up on the Gander catalogs. Now Cabela's is much closer since there aren't any Gander Mountains in eastern MO.

aubie515
May 15, 2011, 02:03 AM
Gander Mtn used to be good a long time ago...last few years...their prices are even more than Cabelas...and I don't find Cabelas to offer great deals.

May 15, 2011, 05:13 AM
I'm sure GM sells more than just guns and ammo.

BigN
May 15, 2011, 07:17 AM
There are three Gander Mountains in my area. One is 2 hours east, one is 2 hours west and one is 3 hours west so I don't go there often. None of them sells any reloading items. When I happen to go to those towns for whatever reason, I like to stop by and fondle the guns though. They all have a lot of guns in stock, however inflated the prices are.

earlthegoat2
May 15, 2011, 07:21 AM
GM has been on the downswing for years. I watched them go from a very enjoyable and competitive place to a store that has become the laughing stock of retail.

If they go under, I will not miss them as they do not provide anything you cannot get somewhere else.

Since I dont live in their zone anymore I wont be there to witness it.

rogertc1
May 15, 2011, 07:25 AM
I have got may good deals on used and new sale guns from GM over the last few years. One of the few gun stors in my area other than a TruValue hardware store. One shop has a few guns and specilizes in archery and another has nothing but old men who hang around and BS, Most of my guns come from Gun Broker and Buds.

Ohio Gun Guy
May 15, 2011, 08:24 AM
Their prices are so high, it's like they dont exist anyway.

In the past I went in so many times thinking, "this time it will be at least reasonable" and willing to spend a little more just to get what I'm looking for......... NOPE. The last time I was in there, they were selling steel cased wolf, 7.62x39 for more more than double, nearly tripple the going rate.

At this point I wouldn't even bother with a going out of business sale. I'll bet their clearance 75+% off would almost put them in line.

MachIVshooter
May 15, 2011, 08:37 AM
I would rather they stay in business ..... so that we all have somewhere to go after a hard day at work just to browse, laugh, and loosen up

That's what the LGS is for. Gander can sink like they ought to and I won't shed a tear. You can't carry less merchandise than any other major retailer and gouge customers like that and expect to stay in business. I've bought about 4 things from them in the 8 years or so they've been open near me, and only because they were closeout items. If I'm going to a big box, it's Sportman's Warehouse or Bass Pro.

Spot
May 15, 2011, 09:08 AM
Well, that's where I got my Zavasta M-57 Tokarev when they had them on sale; with tax, $216.50. Couldn't argue the price on that one, as to the rest of the store's pricing... yes, it's up there.

onebigelf
May 15, 2011, 09:10 AM
For mailorder reloading supplies, Powder Valley is far better than Midway. So is Widener's.
Tight markets hurt businesses that are not competitive first. That pretty much describes Gander Mountain.

John

Mr.Davis
May 15, 2011, 09:37 AM
Changing over one's product assortment, or being low on stock justifies this kind of thread title?

Gander Mountain going out of business?

Did you ever consider that they might be running low because they're selling all the materials they can get? What percentage of Gander's business do you think comes from reloading supplies?

Come on, people, this is how rumors start. Clever way to get some thread views, though.

DC Plumber
May 15, 2011, 10:03 AM
I'm not sure about starting rumors, everyone else posting seems to think the same way, granted it's a small sampling. Interesting enough, there is a Fleet Farm one mile way. There wasn't a parking spot available. I had to park way at the end by the guard gate into the back yard. The store was packed. Though they don't sell reloading supplies, their fishing department is huge. When ever I plan a day trip to the big city, I always stop at Fleet Farm, Gander Mountain and Culver's to get a good burger. I suppose there are some thing you can't get at Fleet Farm that you have to go to Gander to get.Hmmmm, there's another interesting thought, if Fleet Farm sells guns, they should be able to sell reloading supplies, heck they already sell guns and ammo. I'll have to call their store manager.

I don't wish for any business to fail, but it is survival of the fittest. I too remember the good old days of going to an old man's sporting shop and buying 22 ammo. We had one a few miles from my house as I grew up. Long gone now.

I'm sure reloading supplies are a small part of Gander's business, and I'm quite certain that at those prices, they aren't selling everything that they can get their hands on.

Isn't the internet great? We can discuss business trends from coast to coast while sitting here in our pj's drinking coffee. I need another cup, be right back.

rellascout
May 15, 2011, 10:19 AM
One of the reasons Gander mys prices are high is that they do not extort money from the loam govts when they open a store. Bass Pro Walmart and others get the city or county to rebate them part of the sales tax they generate. This basically covers the cost of the building removing that from their overhead. If your city won't do it they threaten to open one town over...

I agree their prices are high but there is also fundamental reason for the difference be Walmart and Bass Pro.

mbopp
May 15, 2011, 10:32 AM
My local GM seems to price everything at full retail price. $4.99 / 100 for primers is crazy though. No powder, the local fire marshal put too many stipulations on them to carry it.
I was looking at a used 1911 there and asked about a trade-in. They offered me 50% of the going GB price and it would be in store credit only. Pass.

Smaug
May 15, 2011, 10:33 AM
This going downhill of a formerly good company is a sign of mis-management. It happens often when executive management is hired in on a contract or a golden parachute. They try to make things look rosy short term, then bail out when things get really bad. They haven't got much to lose, with their golden parachute and all. I bet there's a guy like that running GM.

I see it happening in my company, and I just hope I can hang on until my wife gets established and I can find another place to work.

Ohio Gun Guy
May 15, 2011, 11:18 AM
What they are / were doing is trying to stop tax incentives for larger competition. Gander Mountain does not build the stores that Cabellas or Bass Pro-Build. Therefore the tax incentive if sought would not be great or likely approved.

I dont disagree with the concept. Frankly, if taxes are so high it deters development, the taxes are to high, and by offering the tax incentive the government is verifying this.

Frozen North
May 15, 2011, 11:44 AM
GM started in MN and has been operating here for quite some time. The prices have always been high and they have always had a poor selection of everything but firearms. The firearms that they have are marked up an additional 15% to 20% over their local competition. They ran a price match promotion for awhile, but honesty why go through the trouble if you can just get it somewhere else cheaper in the first place?

I suspect the Holiday station stores that are owned by the same family keep GM stores going. Holiday stations are super clean super well stocked and are always running really good deals on stuff people really use. Their bread, milk and eggs are cheaper than the grocery store so they do HUGE business.

It is hard to believe that these two stores are under the same ownership...

22-rimfire
May 15, 2011, 12:05 PM
Frankly I generally don't see much difference between Gander Mt (GM), Bass Pro (BP), Cabelas, toss in Academy Sports, Dicks and Sportsman Warehourse (SW) at the retail store level other than the size of the retail operation and of course selection. I don't just shop for guns or gun related items. I spend more money on fishing stuff than I do on ammunition. They are all pretty much full retail on most things. Admittedly, GM's ammunition prices are out of line and it took a couple visits to convince myself of this. I have purchased ammo at GM even at high prices. Firearm prices seem high to slightly high at all of these stores except during sales. But SW does tend to keep their firearm pricing pretty competitive regionally. But other things are full retail. For example, the current edition of the Blue Book and all of their sporting books are full retail at SW just like Barnes & Noble and Books A Million. You would think that SW would discount the BB at least 10% ($5) to get the sales, but they don't. There are enough sales at full price to justify their continuing to keep things priced full retail regardless of what internet folks think about it (Amazon price $32.64 now vs full retail, but a month ago it was full price.). SW chooses to sell 10's of copies versus 100's a copies. My guess is it is a company policy on books as they don't see the volume potential at their stores.

BP and Cabelas get huge tax incentives to open a store in a particular area. SW, Dicks, GM, and others do not. Why? BP and Cabelas stores tend to be almost tourist attractions which bring people for all over into the region to shop and they will usually do other shopping or at least buy a burger or two in the local restaurants. The revenue spreads out.

I don't think GM is going out of business. They could well close some stores as their regional store market change. But that is normal buiness practice.

Another possibility: Stores are charged for the inventory (taxes) and they often will have sales to move the product before the deadline on existing inventory taxation. They will not restock until the tax date passes.

dirtykid
May 15, 2011, 12:11 PM
I've always used their prices to gauge the "high retail" price of an item, One time i did manage to find a good-deal on a scope thats about it though, I usually buy the 200-pack of American Eagle .223 shells at Fleet Farm for $79 and EVERY time i've been to Gander they are $99, One-time i did mention to a salesperson and he matched fleet's price but not willingly,,
Im guessing they are trying to improve their numbers at that particular store or region,getting rid of 'slow-movers" decreases the "liabilities" (money sitting on the shelf) and decreases their "assets" (available cash to procure product).
There is a term in the product sales-business called a "turn-to-earn" ratio,, too boring to go into formula and details but basically you only want to stock as much as you ABSOULTELY need to keep your customers happy,while keeping your available "cash" available to procure products or expand other product lines as needed,it's a delicate balance i deal with on a daily basis,Unfortunately most of the "big-box" stores only staff their stores with marginally-educated personel so they end up doing "closeout's" on merchandise that SOMEBODY (who probaly isint in contact with actual customers) thought would sell,
If a small gun-shop orders "extra" product to sit on their shelves,it's probaly cause they KNOW their customers and can anticipate future sales correctly
Gander is a pretty large company with a vast-range of products so, i doubt they are "going out of business"
They just over-priced themselves out of a market ie:Re-loaders are usually price-driven consumers who focus on price-point versus "customer service" ,(they usually dont need some teeny-bopper to "assist" them in selecting a product) they know what they want, will usually shop where they get best price with minimal hassle.
I DREAD going to the check-out at our local store IF i do purchase something cause there's usually only 1-register open and you may get stuck behind 3-guys buying their turkey-permit's from a marginally-educated" clerk..

dirtykid
May 15, 2011, 12:18 PM
frozen-nort',,, I used to work for "Holiday" back when our local store sold guns and fishing-equipment. I have been out of that business for 15+ years and never realized that they were part of Gander,, Our local Holiday got squeezed-out by Kwik-Trip And Super-America which i thought was weird because the "owner" (Erickson Petroleum) was the El-Presidente of Super-America stores and CFO of Holiday stores,so either way the bread-was-buttered he got RICH !! Pretty ingenious though, own 2-companies that compete in the same market,and whatever one dosent "produce" more sales you shut down and put your monies into better-suceeding stores,,, Ah yes,, and the rich get richer............

rogertc1
May 15, 2011, 12:27 PM
Flyer in Sunday Paper for GM today.

LCP 380 and Sigma 9 or 40 is only $299.00
MP15 .223 only $649
Marlin 22 795 only $99.99
There are more and as I stated they have good sale priced

rtz
May 15, 2011, 12:30 PM
I just looked at the Gander Mountain ad for this week. Ruger LC9: $399.

http://gandermountain.shoplocal.com/gandermountain/Default.aspx?action=browsepagelarge&storeid=2489523&rapid=1173037&pagenumber=1

$359 at Academy!!!

http://brochure.academy.com/weeklyad.php?page=weeklyad&target=weeklyad&pgNum=7

rogertc1
May 15, 2011, 12:44 PM
What is an Academy? GM will honor the ad if there is one near by.
Most my Ammo and guns i get on Gun Broker or Buds. No tax and $10 transfer fee on guns..Just got a 50BMG. Over $2000 + 35 shipping and $10 tyransfer. NO TAX!!! Just got 100 rounds od 50BMG for only $248 Deliverd too...

Having managed big boxs all in all they may average 30% profit for the entire store. It goes to corperate to pay for warehousing, advertizing, and operations. Then the share holders.
If a company doesn't make profit they go out of business. Unlike the government which runs off your taxes.

buck460XVR
May 15, 2011, 12:46 PM
I think GM has become a Land's End clone and dedicates more floor space to Women's fashions than hunting and fishing supplies. For the last several years at my local GM, the reloading section has become virtually non-existent. Whenever I would go in there the same 6 cans of oddball powder would be on the shelf, and the same half dozen half empty boxes of primers were widely scattered on a shelf that used to be full. Whenever I was asked if I found what I was looking for, I'd so no and ask if they were getting more. The reply was yes, anytime now, but we can "special order" you anything you want. The prices they wanted for anything ordered was outrageous. At first I assumed it was because of the Obama scare as reloading supplies everywhere was the same. But as supplies came around to other stores, the shelves at the GM were the same as last year. Last time I was there the excuse was that they were selling out of all the current inventory in anticipation of the new store that was planned to be built. That was a year before the new store opened. I have given up on them(altho my wife still goes there for women's fashions:rolleyes:) because my LGS has a better inventory, better prices and more knowledgeable employees.

JoeMal
May 15, 2011, 12:49 PM
There are plenty of people to don't buy online because they don't have the means, or 'refuse' to buy online due to paranoia. I'm convinced that's how places like this stay in business

rtz
May 15, 2011, 12:49 PM
I've already got an LCP; so I'm not in the market right now for the LC9.

When the local http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/ was going under; the reloading section was noticeably not getting restocked.

Frozen North
May 15, 2011, 12:50 PM
dirtykid,

My ex wife was a gm for a Holiday station. It sounds like you remember the days of the Holiday + store... They even had Holiday branded ammo for a while.

The Erickson family split it off and had a mail order business through GM for a long time. They sold the mail order business to Cabelas in 99 and IMO, that is when they began to decline in service and pricing. Remember that Cabelas was primarily a mail order outfit and GM was primarily a brick and mortar store in 99. Humungous Cabelas locations seem to be popping up everywhere now days.

A quick look at what their stock prices have done will reveal the real truth. They may be incredibly profitable in spite of the outward appearance. The numbers don't lie.... unless you are Enron, Qwest, or Worldcom. lol

I see you are fortunate enough to have a Mills Fleet Farm to shop. If they have it, it is almost always cheaper! Mills is a great outfit! They do not have the selection of firearms, but where else can you buy a birthday gift for your sister, an AK-47, parts for your tractor, and a new pair of jeans?! Long live the man mall!

MachIVshooter
May 15, 2011, 01:00 PM
One of the reasons Gander mys prices are high is that they do not extort money from the loam govts when they open a store. Bass Pro Walmart and others get the city or county to rebate them part of the sales tax they generate. This basically covers the cost of the building removing that from their overhead. If your city won't do it they threaten to open one town over...

I agree their prices are high but there is also fundamental reason for the difference be Walmart and Bass Pro.

Don't really care why their prices are higher. I'll only pay more for American made goods vs. imported, or to support a true local business. When one national chain is 20% more expensive than another for the same item, that's pretty easy math.

22-rimfire
May 15, 2011, 01:04 PM
Academy Sports is a grwoing store chain that I believe is mostly located in the South. I believe they are Texas based as that is where I first heard of their stores. In my state, they have built two stores in Chattanooga (two?, the business sense escapes me), store in Nashville and Memphis, and stores in places like Birmingham, Gadsden, Mobile AL where I generally visited them. I took notice of them because of 22 ammo prices which after being in their stores a few times is nothing impressive. Guns... fair prices. Ammunition prices in general are okay. I geneally visit their stores now to buy things like tennis shoes or general camping equipment, but I will always swing by the gun department. If they are busy, I get bored waiting and leave. Their clerks generally don't know their product or firearms. I would rather pay more on firearms somewhere else and get service. Honestly, I need to spend more time visiting and looking at their selection and pricing. You hear rave reviews on their pricing, but I have not discovered yet what the fuss is about.

Don't really care why their prices are higher.

You might if ALL the stores opened up in the next town or city and there were no jobs in your area. Chattanooga TN is going through the tax issue with Amazon right now as I read in the press. I'm sort of interested. The issue is sales tax to mail order TN residents. (There is no income tax in TN and the state government is primarily financed by sales tax collections.) They already do not charge sales tax to residents of other states. The Gov granted them an exemption on collecting sales tax in exchange for them to build two distribution centers in the Chattanooga area (over a 1000 jobs). Now the legislature is kicking.... Amazon has threated to stop construction and simply leave. They would hence not pay the millions of dollars that they owe to contractors building the facilities until forced to in court and that will take years. A lot of these contractors will go out of business. It is hard ball. As a peace offering, Amazon has offered to build two other facilities in TN (believing it was political jealousy region to region, aka jobs) as they closed two facilities in the SE just recently due to the sales tax issue. They will follow through with their threats.

Slotback
May 15, 2011, 01:13 PM
I find Gander to be over priced and that they do that willfully.

CraigC
May 15, 2011, 01:21 PM
Gotta keep your eyes peeled at Gander Mt. Most of their stuff is overpriced but some is reasonable and you can find the occasional good deal on used guns. Like the minty Marlin 444 they had last year for $299.

MachIVshooter
May 15, 2011, 01:29 PM
You might if ALL the stores opened up in the next town or city and there were no jobs in your area.

Well, my town is one that did allow a Walmart, and it was tremendously helpful to the local economy. In this rural area, people are now stopping here instead of driving to the two towns 15 miles West and NW of us, and they're spending money in the local businesses that they never knew were here. Restaurants, salons, hardware store; None were hurt by WM moving in.

This county is primarily comprised of small business owners (mostly service providers like me), farmers and ranchers. There simply weren't many menial jobs to take away in the first place.

Additionally, WM employs a lot of the local kids and other folks who can't work full time a county away. And the local government is profiting from the huge revenue increase from the sales tax. It's a win-win situation.

And the next small town to the East of us? Not that it had much of an econmy to begin with, but it hasn't been hurt either.

redneck2
May 15, 2011, 01:47 PM
I also suspect Gander is short for this world. I have a couple of guys I know that work there. Both are retiring. Bad atmosphere evidently.

I think they're in the downward spiral that Sears and K-Mart were in some years back. They get stuck in a rut of products and/or market segment that is losing popularity. When those start going down, they raise prices to maintain revenue. Sales drop, so they raise prices more to cover it.

Clothing has a HUGE mark-up, some as much as 300-400%. They can put a $100 coat on sale for $25 and still break even (less overhead). I suspect reloading stuff is maybe 20-25%. Volume is too low to cover costs.

Trouble with reloading stuff is that it's too specific. Think of the number of dies, bullets, and variety of powders you need to carry. At a local shop, you just have the surrounding area as customers. Over the internet, it's world wide.

22-rimfire
May 15, 2011, 02:21 PM
Yes, it is usually a win win situation as long as certain parties don't get too greedy. There was a Cabelas planned for construction in Calhoun GA (North of Atlanta), the first in the SE. It was a very big deal. The land developers got greedy and they canceled their store construction plans claiming they did additional market surveys and so forth and the location did not justify the investment. But it was the land developers who caused them to split.

There are 19 Super Walmarts within 50 miles of me; 6 within 20 miles. Walmart does it differently. It is super secret due to land speculators. They hire a firm to handle everything including construction and lease the store and property. Few people know anything until the dirt starts being moved and even then it takes a while before it is announced that a Walmart store is being constructed.

Years ago I was doing some work in the Chicago area. I learned that there was a Gander Mt store in the area. I drove something like 40 miles out of my way to visit the store. I was excited. Bought a few things, but as I said before, it was pretty much retail retail retail. I would love to see GM being a bit more competitive every day rather than just having good sale prices.

The Sportsman Warehouse story is a bit different in terms of their bankruptcy. They lost their credit and suppliers were becoming less willing to extend credit and ship them their products for sale. Never seemed a huge issue with firearms, but it was with reloading supplies and ammunition. Their firearm selection definitely was reduced for a while. This is a store that stayed open.

Remo223
May 15, 2011, 02:37 PM
GM started in MN and has been operating here for quite some time. The prices have always been high and they have always had a poor selection of everything but firearms. The firearms that they have are marked up an additional 15% to 20% over their local competition. They ran a price match promotion for awhile, but honesty why go through the trouble if you can just get it somewhere else cheaper in the first place?

I suspect the Holiday station stores that are owned by the same family keep GM stores going. Holiday stations are super clean super well stocked and are always running really good deals on stuff people really use. Their bread, milk and eggs are cheaper than the grocery store so they do HUGE business.

It is hard to believe that these two stores are under the same ownership...
where I live, all holiday stores have been converted to casey's stores.

22-rimfire
May 15, 2011, 02:48 PM
The only "local" Gander Mt I have visited is in Knoxville TN. It is a pretty big store. I enjoy going there, but due to their pricing, I now go when it is convenient to me rather than arranging my schedule to make time to visit. Hence I make fewer store visits in general. I was really tempted to buy a 416 Rem Ruger single shot rifle they had there... but in the end, being rational won over my impulse to own such a beast which I would probably only shoot 20 times in 10 years.

I'm sure they are aware of their maket and the impact of pricing. I suspect they sell far more fishing, archery, clothing, and boating stuff then they sell firearms and ammunition. I bought fishing stuff and some boots during my last visit. I bought some over priced Remington 41 mag ammo there just prior to the big price run up speculating that the price was about to be headed way up. I believe that Remington ammo is now something like $60 a box which I refuse to buy unless I have none available to me. I keep a good supply of 41 mag ammo and don't run out.

earlthegoat2
May 15, 2011, 10:04 PM
Well I admit, I have contributed to GM going out of business. A few years back I bought a lightly used Ithaca NID 20 gauge for the ripe sum of 237 dollars out the door. That was 2 whole days after I bought a Western Arms 20 gauge for 225 out the door the next store over. Inland M1 Carbine and an H&R Garand in one swing for 500.

That was the compensation I was entitled to after they turned me down for a job three different time. To think I could have been working for them instead of raping them. Just desserts.

TheGrimReaper
May 16, 2011, 12:31 AM
I worked at Gander for quite awhile while I was going to school. Even with our employee discount the employees don't shop there. We would go the the LGS and buy our goods.

whalerman
May 16, 2011, 12:41 AM
I live in upstate NY. The business climate has been so bad our small shops are going down slowly but surely. We're left with the Gander Mountains and such. I like the guys and ladies that work there, but its impossible to remain loyal to them when the company puts the prices they do on things. I always blame the current administration. But when you lose choices the big boys always try to take advantage. You guys are lucky you are not NYers.

crm7290
May 16, 2011, 02:01 AM
They have some nice deals going on around here right now. They just opened a new store complete with a virtual shooting range (and a real one too). This store is huge. They aren't the cheapest but they are one of the only places I have found that will let someone from Illinois buy a gun.

I'm heading over there tomorrow to purchase a marlin 22 for 100 dollars. Seems like a deal to me. Hopefully they are still in stock.

killchain
May 16, 2011, 04:52 AM
I love this thread!

"I buy all of my reloading supplies online... but Gander Mountain isn't stocking any realongin supplies! What gives?"

Course not, guys... you're too buys ordering it from the internet. :P

wlewisiii
May 16, 2011, 09:39 AM
I like the local Gander Mountain. It's expanding rather than "going out of business". I prefer to go there rather than most of the other places around because 1) the older folks that work there are knowledgeable about the products 2) they'll order anything I want 3) they have a lay-away program (20% down, 90 days rest) & 4) don't have talk radio blaring so loud you can't hardly talk across the counter.

I just picked up a used Ruger P97 there last week & wil go looking again soon.

TheCracker
May 16, 2011, 10:42 AM
The closest GM (tyler tx) parking lot usually looks like a ghost town. Compared to the academy down the road. It usually looks to be at 10% capacity. It's amazed me that they are still in business.

Prices are so outrageous that I usually go in once a year ay most. As far as reloading goes the selection is bad and the prices are worse. A $24 box of Sierra game king bullets is $41 at GM!

If you think cabelas is high just walk through Gander.

I would guess I have spent less than $100 in the last 10 or so that I have been going to. Each time I go in I say to myself that I'll never go back. But sometimes I just need a laugh.

I'm not always expecting bargain prices but I'm sure not expecting to get screwed over.

oneounceload
May 16, 2011, 10:50 AM
They recently closed most of their "gunsmithing" (I use the term VERY loosely) operations in their stores. Their prices are higher than MSRP for new guns and used ones sell at MSRP for new ones. They seem to be focusing more on hunting as opposed to just shooting sports, along with a lot more camping. Although, the GM here is installing an indoor range next to the store in an old motel, so that tells me they are most likely realigning their business model. The employees also complain about distributors not having guns for them to bring into inventory...........whether that is true or not, remains to be seen

CajunBass
May 16, 2011, 10:55 AM
Yea. This is a good idea. Let's root for a place that sells guns and amm ot go out of business, so we'll have one less place to buy guns and ammo. :confused:

10 minutes...if you are walking. 2-3 minutes by car. Green Top is another 5 minutes by car from either of them.

Having said that, it's been a long time since I bought a gun from Gander, and I never have from Bass Pro. Actually I don't buy much of anything from either of them. As long as Greentops is in business, I'm not likely to.

I am tempted to buy a Bass Tracker boat I admit.

ForumSurfer
May 16, 2011, 11:02 AM
I got into a mildly heated conversation about this on another forum. A gander mountain employee was defending his company's prices...sort of. Basically giving me a hard time for putting gander down since corporate sets the prices, not the local stores. The people that work there are always ridiculously helpful and usually quite knowledgeable, but that is no excuse for price gouging.

From the way I understand it, they are dropping most of their reloading stuff.

They do decent business here, although I have no idea why. I give them the benefit of the doubt and check their prices when I buy, but I almost always walk out empty handed. I did pick up a 5.11 tactical wilderness style belt, it was only $10 more than I could have gotten it elsewhere (shipping included) and I wanted it right now. They are also slightly cheaper than walmart on the shoot-n-c style targets.

I'm willing to bet that the proliferation of recent UPC price checking apps for iPhones and Droids will start affecting their business.

oneounceload
May 16, 2011, 11:11 AM
but that is no excuse for price gouging.

No such thing as price gouging at GM - not when people are WILLINGLY spending their money at the prices stated. The consumers set the prices - when inventory doesn't move, it is reduced to a price that will get someone to buy it

Tim the student
May 16, 2011, 11:22 AM
The people that work there are always ridiculously helpful and usually quite knowledgeable

At the closest Gander to me, that is certainly not true. We have lazy kids who will tell you that 45/70 is good for varmints because the stupid little sign says so.

While there are helpful knowledgeable folks there, the majority are neither helpful nor are they knowledgeable. Their crappy staff and high prices have prevented me from going back in a couple years. I doubt I'll be back in that store. Maybe for a going out of business sale I guess - but even then, the prices will still probably be high.

soloban
May 16, 2011, 11:27 AM
Their bullets are outrageous. Powder is decent, but I figured out I would only need to order 4 lbs from Midway to break even with what Gander charges.

oldbear
May 16, 2011, 11:33 AM
By Old Fluff, Most retailers will stock what they can sell for a profit, and close out what they can't and turn to something else. Maybe there's a lesson somewhere in that.

With the tight (?) economy many retailers are only stocking items that have a quick turnaround. No matter what the government is saying the economy is still very shaky and many people are only buying the basic must have items.

RB98SS
May 16, 2011, 12:04 PM
I buy quite a bit from GM. But of the things I do buy, its never reloading supplies. They are way out of line with those products.

You can get some great deals if you keep an eye on their sales and clearance items which means making frequent visits as they don't always advertise.

I have purchased guns there in the past but they normally are on the high end price wise there also. They will price match though.

CraigC
May 16, 2011, 12:54 PM
No such thing as price gouging at GM - not when people are WILLINGLY spending their money at the prices stated. The consumers set the prices - when inventory doesn't move, it is reduced to a price that will get someone to buy it
Exactly! Folks just don't realize how liberal, anti-capitalist all this "price gouging" nonsense is.

oneounceload
May 16, 2011, 01:30 PM
Back when Cabela's, Gander et al were only catalog stores, their prices were decent. Let's remember, they are a RETAIL store just like JC Penney or Target. Once all of these folks opened those fancy expensive "Lodges", profits had to be bigger to pay for all of that. With a lot of discounters on line, gun folks seem to have a better handle on pricing than teens buying designer clothes at the regular stores, but retail is retail, and MSRP is what it is - suggested - to allow the store a decent profit margin to cover the costs

SpeedAKL
May 16, 2011, 02:01 PM
Or, if it were in Northern Virginia, 10 minutes by car, 2-3 minutes if you are walking! :neener::neener::neener:

Been there, done that. Never again!:evil:
From a current NoVA resident, that was good for a laugh:)

SpeedAKL
May 16, 2011, 02:09 PM
A GM opened up a few years ago in my old hometown. The place started out nice, with an absolutely massive selection of firearms that were reasonably priced - pretty much in line with the local shops. Ammo was outrageous, but I buy online and at gun shows for the most part so that wasn't a concern to me. However, the place seemed to go downhill quickly. Inventory stayed at about half capacity compared to opening day, and the number of long guns outside the typical Rem/Savage/Beretta/Win/Mossberg/Benelli mid-priced sporting market decreased dramatically. Military-pattern rifles in particular dried up, and unlike the other guns they were kept under total lock and key.

We had a Sportsmans Warehouse that had great prices, but it went out of business.

Here in the DC area we have no GM, Academy, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, etc. - you have to go to Richmond or Baltimore or further. Dick's Sporting Goods and Wally World are all over the place but not all of them keep a good outdoor section going and they restrict themselves to "sporting" long guns. There are some very good independent dealers in Northern VA which helps alleviate the problem.

HOOfan_1
May 16, 2011, 02:27 PM
Here in the DC area we have no GM, Academy, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, etc. - you have to go to Richmond or Baltimore or further. Dick's Sporting Goods and Wally World are all over the place but not all of them keep a good outdoor section going and they restrict themselves to "sporting" long guns. There are some very good independent dealers in Northern VA which helps alleviate the problem.

There is a Gander Mountain in Fredericksburg and possibly closer to you in Winchester

Patriotme
May 16, 2011, 03:35 PM
Agreed.
I'm in the Richmond area and I'll visit Gander Mtn every once in a while. I don't buy much unless they have a sale. I will say that their customer service is outstanding. This is probably due to there being more staff than customers in the store on most days.
I think that the Bass Pro Shops a mile or two up the road hurt them even more badly than their high prices.
I hope that they stay in business but I always wonder how they stay open when I see a dozen cars in the parking lot on the average weekday.

Jim Watson
May 16, 2011, 03:52 PM
Once upon a time, Gander Mountain was mostly a mailorder operation with one or a few storefronts in Minnesota. I bought a lot of stuff from them in those days, there being one good locally owned store about 70 miles away. They folded up a good many years ago and the present outfit is a redo. Now there are Bass Pro, Cabelas, and mailorder houses like Midway to hold them down. Frankly, I don't see much of anything I need in a store, no matter the name on the sign.

Pyzon
May 16, 2011, 05:01 PM
In Columbus OH, as far as I'm concerned the 2 GM stores closed years ago.....but the doors are still open I'm told.

You'd look a long time to find a bigger bunch of limp noodle know nothing sales people with not a clue about retailing in a store that somehow finds a way to still exist.

TheCracker
May 16, 2011, 05:18 PM
I don't wish any business to fail but if they do it's the fault of whatever marketing geniuses they have setting the prices.

I haven't checked prices of all the merchandise they carry but 95% of what I have actually looked at is OUTRAGEOUSLY HIGH! That's just on regular non firearms. As far as guns go it is silly. When I bought my Marlin 1894 three years ago I got it from Cabelas for $549. My LGS would have been about $525 but none of their distributors could get them any time soon. Gander has some in stock for $629!!!!! That's just silly. They must think people don't shop around.

It's funny to read that some have had the same sentiment that others do when I've entered and left.

Frankly I'm amazed that the store in Tyler tx is still open. It looks like the KMart started looking when Wal mart started beating them down.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gander Mountain going out of business?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!