Gun Cleaning, save me from myself!

PDA

JasonK94Z
January 13, 2004, 09:25 PM
I've been using this $7 cleaning kit from Wally World to clean my gun. My cleaner and my patches have run out. I don't feel all that comfortable with this kit, so I've decided to look for something better.
The guy at the range was pointing me towards these products: http://www.proteclubricants.com/guncare/

They sound nice and all, but I'm looking for a complete kit. I need to ditch this aluminum rod, etc. Any nice kits out there?
KleenBore a good one? I ran into their police kit or something like that. Any others I need to consider. Even maybe just buy the above ProTec stuff and get a nice rod and patches elsewhere? :confused:

Thanks for the help!

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Cleaning, save me from myself!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
zahc
January 13, 2004, 09:36 PM
I've never gotten a kit. I pick and choose. Get a good coated one piece rod. Boresnakes are good too. it depends on the guns and the uses.

Tag
January 13, 2004, 10:07 PM
get an Otis kit or a couple Bore Snakes.

stans
January 14, 2004, 06:21 AM
My cleaning kit consists of various rods, patches, solvents and lubricants that I have collected over the years. I started out with a Hoppe's kit and that was a good starting point, but I have not found one kit that will do it all, so I built up my own kit.

sm
January 14, 2004, 07:16 AM
FYI Pro-Tec is the company whom makes the Lubrication products for Wilson's Combat. They make the product to Wilson's specs.

I personally feel Pro-Tec is better than Wilson, just my opinion. A very old company that did a LOT of R&D. They stay quiet and don't say much. Attraction not "promotion " you might say. Not real happy with the way some "gun related mfg'd items" are marketed.

You didn't state what type of firearms.

I do like and have had an Otis Kit, one that will do anything , Especially for revolvers, lever actions and the like. Mine is so old is was called "Kit and Caboodle"

My other kit is also old, Kleenbore whenever they came out. I prefer uncoated steel rods and use bore guides and muzzle protectors.

My aversion to coated rods is, even tho' I wipe the rod after each pass... I used to make my own "lapping tool" in another business...basically a coated rod with various compounds...( think shrink tape for wiring applied to rod then coated).

One can make their own patches and use with either kit, old T shirts or scraps from a fabric mart. Dental pics, pipe cleaners, long wooden Q tips, old toothbrushes ( still like M16 style brush better) ...

OTIS is handy, Kleenbore will last, just replace stuff that gets used up. I have given so many kits, lubes, solvents away I won, rec'd as gifts, shooters kits...I keep my old kits. In my truck is a cigar box, with a Otis pistol cable, a GI style 3 pc rod, pcs of old T shirt, toothbrush and the Formula 3 needle oiler...( my all time favorite needle oiler...Precision Shooter...some blessed soul sent me one and a quart of F3...I knew that student would turn out OK :) ).

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Cleaning, save me from myself!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!