Good guys 1, bad guys 0

PDA

another okie
January 26, 2003, 01:14 PM
From the Tulsa World newspaper today:

Rescuer kills alleged sex assault attacker
By AP Wire Service
1/26/2003

A "Good Samaritan" saved a woman from a downtown sexual assault Saturday and killed the alleged attacker, police said.

A Tulsa man in his mid-20s was shot and killed by the woman's rescuer, who saw the two partially disrobed and struggling in an alley between Brady Street and Detroit Avenue, police said.

Identifications of those involved in the incident were not being released Saturday. Notification of the dead man's next of kin is pending.

Sgt. Mike Huff said the 25-year-old woman had tried to get a ride home from her attacker at around noon. The man drove her to the alleyway and allegedly tried to assault her, Huff said.

The woman's rescuer was looking at a possible construction site nearby, heard her screams and came running.

"The suspect jumped into the suspect vehicle and started to flee the area," Huff said.

The suspect struck the woman's rescuer with the vehicle -- a mid-'90s Ford Taurus -- and tried to hit his victim. The man fired several shots from a .40-caliber handgun he was carrying, hitting the attacker once and killing him, Huff said.

Police said it was unclear Saturday whether the gun was registered and if the man had a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

"We'll forward this case to the District Attorney's Office for review and determination of any further actions," Huff said. "It appears that this man really interrupted a bad situation."

Huff said the rescuer was not treated for injuries at the scene.

(end of AP story)

Good news, but what's this about "registration?" We don't have registration of handguns in Oklahoma. Maybe they mean "was it purchased through a firearms dealer?" I usually carry a copy of the invoice on my Glock 26 with me just in case I run into someone with a badge or a microphone who thinks guns are "registered."

This story is only available if you subscribe to the site. I get it free because I take the print version, so don't scream if you go there and can't retrieve it.

www.tulsaworld.com

If you enjoyed reading about "Good guys 1, bad guys 0" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blackhawk
January 26, 2003, 01:24 PM
So far, so good! :neener:

Please keep us posted if you find out what the many missing details are. :D

PATH
January 26, 2003, 01:51 PM
Hell, they ought to give the fella a medal and not harass him. Would they rather the woman got raped!:banghead: :fire: :cuss:

jsalcedo
January 26, 2003, 02:26 PM
Yes they would prefer rape.

For some reason whenever a citizen stops a crime it is an embarassment to law enforcement.

If enough citizen heroics go unpunished, people might start wondering why they are paying for police forces.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good guys 1, bad guys 0" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!