Finding the age of a gun

PDA

Charleo0192
May 15, 2011, 09:43 AM
I have a Smith and Wesson .38 special. It just so happens that it's been handed down to my dad from his dad, and his dad handed it down to him. My dad has no idea as to when it was made, but would like to know just as much as me.

So is there someway I could find the date it was made?

I thank and appreciate any and all the help I can get!

If you enjoyed reading about "Finding the age of a gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
buck460XVR
May 15, 2011, 10:09 AM
There are folks here that may be able to help you.......or you can go to the S&W Forums sites and ask with the serial #. If nothing else you can call S&W with the serial number and they can tell you the ship date.

Charleo0192
May 15, 2011, 10:15 AM
I would call smith and wesson, but from what i've read online it cost $50 dollars for them to tell you. I just thought it be interesting to learn the history of it. Not really worth the money.

buck460XVR
May 15, 2011, 10:23 AM
Anybody here or on any other forum with a copy of The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson can give you the age once they know the serial #.

Baba Louie
May 15, 2011, 10:25 AM
Serial number tells all (mostly). Look at grip frame bottom, post number using XX for last two digits (e.g. 2K12345XX) and someone will probably come along to let you know what Supica's book has for mfg dates.

Theres quite the thread on this in the revolver section... FWIW
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=372213

Charleo0192
May 15, 2011, 10:26 AM
The serial number is 531XXX

Old Fuff
May 15, 2011, 10:49 AM
I would call smith and wesson, but from what i've read online it cost $50 dollars for them to tell you. I just thought it be interesting to learn the history of it. Not really worth the money.

Over the years Smith & Wesson made a whole lot of different models chambered to use the .38 Special cartridge - which they introduced in 1899.

So to determine the model a much more complete description is needed, and posting a photograph is a big help.

After determining EXACTLY what model the revolver is, and its serial number, you can call Smith & Wesson's customer service department, and they will tell you the approximate year is was made. THIS SERVICE IS FREE.

Now if the revolver is one that is especially important to you and/or your family, they will, for a $50.00 research fee, go back through their hand-written shipping records (some of which go back to the Civil War) until they find your particular gun, and then send you an official-letterhead letter with whatever information they find. Since the records are not in any particular order, the necessary research can be considerable, and quite frankly the research fee is very reasonable considering the work involved.

The High Road's in-house authorities (sounds better then "experts") can also help by offering general information - but what they tell you is only as good as the information you provide. If you want our help, go to this link:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=372213

For more information about a Smith & Wesson Historical Letter, go here:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757825_-1_757814_757812_image

If you enjoyed reading about "Finding the age of a gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!