Really---why do you carry

PDA

BIGGBAY90
May 15, 2011, 12:13 PM
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm

If you enjoyed reading about "Really---why do you carry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RimfireChris
May 15, 2011, 12:26 PM
Because I want to protect me and mine, but mainly because I CAN.

Jonah71
May 15, 2011, 12:28 PM
Same here.

dirtykid
May 15, 2011, 12:28 PM
ditto rimfire,

FREERANGETIME!
May 15, 2011, 12:32 PM
The old saying "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it." sums it up perfectly.

BruceB
May 15, 2011, 12:41 PM
The hidden gun does one critically-important thing....it gives me OPTIONS in possible bad situations.

Those options could save the lives of myself and/or the people I care about. The gun is not a magic wand, but it IS a powerful tool. Not having that tool when it is legal, seems to be the height of foolishness in my eyes.

This opinion comes from someone who lived fifty years in Canada, where legal concealed-carry is non-existent. I REALLY appreciate living in Nevada!

W.E.G.
May 15, 2011, 12:44 PM
Because I like guns.

Tomcat47
May 15, 2011, 12:44 PM
"When the time for action has come - The Time for preperation has past!"

Abraham Lincoln

1) 2nd Ammendment
2) Preparedness
3) There are those that believe the harder you work the more they should have!

The facility I work at has been vandalized 4 times in last 2 years for theft of copper wiring. (It is somewhat remote and police response is 10-20 minutes)
***Insert good news here***
(there last attempt was 2 weeks ago when they cut into a live 600 volt wire!...they have not been caught yet but there is evidence of severe burns to whoever had hold of cutters!)
Not to mention there are not enough deputies to cover the county.
Unemployment hovers just at or near 10%
Foreclosures still abound!
Home Invasions are on a constant increase (replacing bank robberies actually).
I tried to find numbers on home invasion, however those statistics do not seem to be readily available.

If we watch news out of our major cities across the U.S. it is nothing to hear of a home invasion every week if not every other night!

All crime on the employed rises when the economy falters, its just plain simple facts.

But "Why" I carry is to avoid making the decision to do so "after" such a crime happens to me or my family. I learned the above quote from Abe in a martial arts class in the early 90's and it has affected me ever since then and just makes plain common sense to be prepared in life!

It has in fact helped almost every aspect of my life and applies to daily life as much or more than self defense.

Good Thread...Why Do You Carry?

Flopsweat
May 15, 2011, 12:49 PM
Because

- I have accepted responsibility for my own safety and security.

- I’m convinced that if you don’t exercise a right, sooner or later someone will decide you don’t really need it.

- While I am not my brother’s keeper, I’d feel pretty awful if I could have done something to help defend a friend or loved one but wasn’t properly prepared.

- It drives one anti-gun friend of mine right up the wall. OK, that one is mostly a joke. Mostly…

- And of course: Irrelevant – I don’t need a reason. It’s a right, not a privilege (Not bagging on you BigBay, just sayin’).

FruitCake
May 15, 2011, 12:54 PM
Because it makes me feel like a real man.

kingpin008
May 15, 2011, 12:55 PM
Thanks to MD laws I'm unable to carry, but when that changes, I plan to carry because I can and because it's my right to.

Charleo0192
May 15, 2011, 01:01 PM
The same reason I wear a seatbelt. But also because I can.

Toforo
May 15, 2011, 01:04 PM
Thanks to MD laws I'm unable to carry, but when that changes, I plan to carry because I can and because it's my right to.
Because I can

(and because my OWB matches my boots)

kingpin - I retired from USN out of ft.meade when I lived in columbia MD - also lived in ellicott city for a while after.... NEVER recalled seeing a gunshop...... but that was between 1985-90. I doubt it's changed.

altitude_19
May 15, 2011, 01:05 PM
Surprisingly enough, mostly for stray dogs nowadays. Way more likely for me to have to deal with an animal attack, given the number of loose dogs and how often I walk my dogs.

ZeSpectre
May 15, 2011, 01:11 PM
Because, as a computer geek, my life is dedicated to avoiding "single point of failure" so the more layers of "insurance" I can have (within reason) the better.

Also

Because I have a lot to protect and care for and I took those vows very seriously.

Also

Because at this point in my life I've had several major abdominal surgeries that have left me very vulnerable physically. So I'm not going "mano e' mano" with anybody anymore!

rickman
May 15, 2011, 01:12 PM
See my signature line.

Someone posted this on another forum and I thought it was good enough to save.

<<Originally Posted by Seawolf
Sorry if this is too lengthy, but I thought it worth telling.

I have never been caught by a stranger and had to explain why I was carrying, but I was at a get together one night with family and my Wife's Godparents who are hardcore Libs and big time anti gun.

Somehow the topic of firearms came up because my Father in law had won a couple of nice rifles in a raffle the night before. Immediately the Godparents went into thier anti gun tyrade on how guns are evil and nobody needs a gun, blah blah blah. This went on for a few minutes while my Father in Law tried to hold back a smile because he knew I was carrying at the time.

After a few minutes I had heard enough of the Liberal talking points and I smacked my hand on the table really quick and asked the question, "A masked man has just kicked in the front door and is now threatning you with a gun, what do you do?"

Of course all I got was blank stares so I asked again a little louder, "What do you do!" The response I got was call 911 of course. I then said, "the Police are at least 5 minutes away and that's being generous, what do you do?" and before her Godfather could get a word out I smacked the table again and said, "BANG! he just shot your Wife, now what do you do!" I never got anything more than a blank stare after that.

I then began to explain that there are 3 types of people in this world. There are Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs (direct from the famous speech we all love). I said, "I have been sitting here eating dinner with you folks not more than 4ft away the entire night carrying a gun". I said, "You had no idea I was carrying a gun because I am a sheepdog and not a Wolf. Those of us who are dedicated to protecting ourselves and other "Sheep" from the Wolves are not the ones to be concerned with. It's the Wolf you need to worry about and if you choose to not protect yourself and rely on someone else, ie the Police then that is your business, but it is not your business to tell others whether or not they should protect themselves."

The subject quickly changed and that was the last thing I said all night, but I am pretty sure I got my message across that night. Incidentally I have not seen them since so either it's a coincidence that I haven't seen them or they are now scared to death of me. lol>>

M2 Carbine
May 15, 2011, 01:14 PM
Because I don't intend becoming a victim, at least without a fight.

Good luck with that, it will never happen as long as the criminal politicians run the state.
I was a Baltimore Policeman. I knew people that carried. My Wife carried. I figured if you didn't carry in many sections of Baltimore you were a fool.

Overkilll0084
May 15, 2011, 01:35 PM
The question is wrong. It implies that I need some justification.
Regional and local restrictions aside, Why shouldn't I?
Do I need to justify my execise of any other constitutional right?

firemanstrickland
May 15, 2011, 01:49 PM
overkill....your looking in to this way too hard

To the rest....I like to be prepared.....enough said

hogcowboy
May 15, 2011, 01:56 PM
Because there are no LEO's that are going to protect me if and when I might need it.

GBExpat
May 15, 2011, 02:01 PM
Really---why do you carry

Because I bear the sole responsibility for defending myself against any who may wish to do me harm.

doc540
May 15, 2011, 02:02 PM
Cause I just can't bear to be apart from my old Colt. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Colt%20Agent%203/DSCN4202-1-1.jpg

JoelSteinbach
May 15, 2011, 02:02 PM
For the safety of my self, family and people near me

9MMare
May 15, 2011, 02:05 PM
It's just one more option for safety. (No particular incident made me decide to carry)

And like some others above, I believe that if you dont exercise a right, someday someone may decide that you dont really need it.

Signed, Democrat, social liberal, fiscal conservative :uhoh:

kingpin008
May 15, 2011, 02:12 PM
Toforo - thanks for your service. I live in Columbia, and while it's not my favorite place in the world, it'll do for now. As far as gun shops, there are quite a few - one of them is right across the street from Ft. Meade. We also got another Class III/SOT dealer recently.

M2 Carbine - you may be right, but luckily we've finally got a lawsuit in the works to find out. Google "maryland CCW lawsuit" and you'll have plenty to read. Thanks to a great plaintiff and MD's ridiculously vague CCW law, we have a pretty good chance at a favorable verdict.

Even if this particular case doesn't pan out, we've had the anti's on the run for years. A little more work and we'll get things back on track for good.

jiminhobesound
May 15, 2011, 02:17 PM
Because I am old and cannot fight hand to hand. Because I live in Southeast Florida where even small towns have high rates of gangs, dope and assaults. Because it is my God given right to be able to defend my family and mysel.

CTPhil
May 15, 2011, 02:39 PM
I like to be prepared.

toivo
May 15, 2011, 02:40 PM
In no particular order:

Because I like guns.
Because I can.
Because it might come in very handy at some point.

Each one of those has multiple layers and facets to it. I could go into a lot more detail, but I won't right now. ;)

mrcooper
May 15, 2011, 02:43 PM
I am a cripple and have to walk with a walker so I am a easy target for the younger people I have been knocked down a few times because I was not walking fast enough, the older generation are more careful, I carry a 44 special bull dog.

M2 Carbine
May 15, 2011, 03:16 PM
Good luck kingpin008. I hope very soon you can tell me I was wrong.

22-rimfire
May 15, 2011, 03:28 PM
I carry when I feel I have a need to protect myself or others with me. At first I carried because "I can", but that wore off. I just don't live in an enviroment where self defense has ever been an issue, but I work in environments that are potentially dangerous from time to time.

ErikO
May 15, 2011, 03:32 PM
We got broken into in December and then found out after that the gun laws here in MO are much smaller in scope and number than IL where I grew up.

Police response times in my area are horrible. When I would call in gun shots, I was largely blown off by the cops if I did not see the shooter, even if I saw the muzzle flash in my back yard. I've learned that here cops show up between the event and when the insurance adjuster comes out for the claim filing unless they were there for some other reason originally.

tangomike706
May 15, 2011, 03:39 PM
1) Above all else , I , and I alone am responsible for my own safety, and protection. no one else . having worked in law enforcement for a few years now, I'm very much aware of the average police response times in my area, even if the cops where instantly available, it's not fast enough to save me, or mine, from some lunatic wielding a knife, or any other scenario you want to come up with . point being, I take personal responsibility for my safety , and protection. It's the only mature thing to do .

2) Because I can.

3) Because work makes me lol.

4) Having the gun , and some ammo stashed in the car , can often lead to range trips, which is never a bad thing no ?

rugerman
May 15, 2011, 03:50 PM
As you've most likely heard before "Because I'm too old to run and just mean enough to kill your ass if you mess with me". Ditto on protecting my stuff and my family.

Loosedhorse
May 15, 2011, 04:00 PM
Because I can do it safely and legally. If I was risking injury (to myself or another) or arrest by carrying, those risks would outweigh the personal safety gains. For me.

That's the economics of it, anyway.

I took a CCW class years ago, and the intructor had us "break the ice" by introducing ourselves around and answering the question, "Why are you applying for a CCW license?" I started my answer, "Well, I've got a wife and three kids, and I--"

The instructor cut me off: "That's all the reason anyone would ever need."

bearcreek
May 15, 2011, 04:02 PM
I like the quote " I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy". Really, though I carry firearms because I have the right, as a human being, to defend myself and others from those who would do us harm, wether that be a thief, murderer, rapist, tyrannical government, etc. using the most effective means possible. I'm thankful to live in a place where that right is recognized and protected by the Constitution. Exercising that right while it is protected and legal is a way to ensure that it will not become a right that is illegal to exercise. A right unused is a right lost.

cambeul41
May 15, 2011, 04:08 PM
My wife wants me to because I work in Detroit and because we are all be default our own first responders.

Impureclient
May 15, 2011, 04:25 PM
Because the next time some guy who decides to get inside my vehicle while I'm stopped at a light might not just walk away after
I yell at him for attempting to jump in because he "just got out of jail and needed a ride down the road."

skoro
May 15, 2011, 04:33 PM
Just in case

au01st
May 15, 2011, 07:46 PM
Same reason I vote: because it's my duty as an American to use the rights that men I didn't know, better men than me, died to protect. I owe it to them to use my rights so that they didn't give up their lives in vain.

kayak-man
May 15, 2011, 07:54 PM
I carry for a few reasons (OK, technically, will carry, my permit is in the mail)

1- I don't have the best luck in the world, and when it runs out, I want to be ready.

2- I do not want to go back to the hospital.

3- There are a few people in this world that I care about very much, and when thier luck runs out, I have no intention of just standing on the sidelines.

4- Why wouldn't I?

Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

killchain
May 15, 2011, 08:07 PM
Because I am ready, willing and able to defend myself and those around me. Some of the experiences I have had make me more capable and confident of myself in a bad situation than some others. I also have a stubborn protective streak. I'm also not so pretentious as to think I can be a superior protector with inferior protection.

Any self-respecting human being in any sort of protective role should have a mind for defending themselves and others. This includes parents, big siblings, etc.

Southern Rebel
May 15, 2011, 10:07 PM
Once upon a time, my father explained to me that there are two times in our lives when we are allowed to be ten foot tall and bullet-proof: Aa a wild-eyed drunk and as a wild-eyed teen-ager.

Well, I have outgrown both of those phases of my life and find myself feeling a subtle amount of vulnerability as I search for the golden years.......thus I have traded my Superman outfit for a couple of discrete companions.

(Not to mention the fact that I spend a great deal of time with two granddaughters that I would walk thru Hell at midnight to insure that no harm comes to them! :fire:)

skiwi
May 15, 2011, 10:49 PM
I carry because it's my right. I am a 4th degree black belt and certified master instructor. My chances in a hand fight are better than most, but should the fight change to include knives or guns, the martial arts training can only go so far...Add to that equation, multiple attackers who mean you harm. Answer: gun is at minimum an equalizer, or improves the odds of the out come. If we have the right to own and carry firearms, why not? I'm not letting the first responders determine my fate...

smalls
May 15, 2011, 11:15 PM
I heard getting stabbed/shot hurts like hell, and dying puts a damper on any future plans I might have.

In all seriousness, the world is full of people who would like to cause me and my family harm, and I don't plan on letting them succeed.

Scipio Africanus
May 16, 2011, 01:16 AM
Because it is not only my right but my duty, both to my family and my community.
Because I have two children and a wife whom I love and they depend on me.
Because there are things worse than dying.
Because I have seen enough of the world to know evil people and their works; and that only good people standing up to evil will stop it.

NavyLCDR
May 16, 2011, 01:38 AM
Because I need something to hold all my bullets together so they don't rattle around in my pocket.

henschman
May 16, 2011, 12:45 PM
Because I consider my life be my supreme value. I also highly value the lives of those I love, because they give my life meaning. I always try to engage in behavior that promotes my life and all my other values.

JellyJar
May 16, 2011, 01:46 PM
I found this on the Blog, The smallest Minority. Posted February 25, 2005......

Being armed goes far beyond simple self-protection against thugs or even tyrants -- it's an unequivocal and unmatched lesson that you are politically and morally sovereign; that you, and not the state, are responsible for your life and your fate. This absolute personal sovereignty is the founding stone of the Republic. "A well-regulated militia" (where the militia is "the whole people") isn't just "necessary to the security of a free state" because it provides a backup to (and defense against) the police and the army. More importantly, keeping and bearing arms trains sovereign citizens in the art of freedom, and accustoms us to our authority and duty.

I agree.

Take care

JJ

stonecutter2
May 16, 2011, 03:04 PM
I certainly hope anyone who can carry does, because I can't. In Illinois we're denied the right to carry open or concealed.

So, cherish the rights you have, and exercise them if you choose to do so.

I do have a PA non-resident carry permit though ;-)

Nushif
May 16, 2011, 03:06 PM
Cause I just can't bear to be apart from my old Colt.

Kinda this. It's not a Colt for me, but this.

Why? Because I love having my favorite hobby, time sink and toy on me.

Claude Clay
May 16, 2011, 03:34 PM
this beautiful, wide & wonderful world was not designed foremost with my comfort and well being in mind. i therefor comport myself accordingly.

gym
May 16, 2011, 03:38 PM
That's a "leading question" we discussed several times why questions like this, can lead to problems. Without knowing where this stuff goes, it's a bit self indulgent to put stuff like this out there.

TheCracker
May 16, 2011, 04:23 PM
Because a cop is too heavy and i cant afford a body guard

ForumSurfer
May 16, 2011, 04:26 PM
....it gives me OPTIONS in possible bad situations.

What he said. Sometimes, the better option may not be to draw. But if it comes down to it, I have the option of drawing something.

CoRoMo
May 16, 2011, 04:30 PM
So that the people subscribed to my YouTube account will think I'm cool.

snatale42
May 16, 2011, 05:32 PM
Because I want to protect me and mine, but mainly because I CAN.

I thing this would apply to almost everyone out there, at least everyone I know.

azmjs
May 16, 2011, 05:36 PM
On the very remote chance I have to try to shoot an assailant.

Sprky
May 16, 2011, 05:39 PM
I carry because... I could write a book... I feel that we can't whine about not being safe in our own homes and communities unless we are willing to contribute to that safety. In my state of Oklahoma armed robbery is down over 20% since we adopted the concealed carry law. I heard a quote once that went..."People who are looking for trouble usually aren't a problem for people whoe are prepared for it"... OK maybe that's from a movie, but I try to be prepared. I feel our right to keep and bear arms is one we need to protect at all costs. As they say use it or lose it. I intend to use it.

Deus Machina
May 16, 2011, 06:09 PM
I'm an old boy scout.

I keep a fire extinguisher by the grill.
I keep a jack and tools in the car.
I keep a folding knife in my pocket.
I keep a gun on my hip.

Be prepared.

zxcvbob
May 16, 2011, 06:48 PM
Really---why do you carryWhy does a dog lick himself?

surjimmy
May 16, 2011, 07:52 PM
Because I'm an American and it's my duty...... Lighter note, because I'm too old to fight and too fat to run.:neener:

llwsgn
May 16, 2011, 09:11 PM
always have.

cstone
May 16, 2011, 09:55 PM
My motto while a boy was "Be Prepared."

No one told me what I was to be prepared for, so I just assumed that meant I have to carry what I might need in case something happens.

Why doesn't anyone ask me why I carry a handkerchief or my library card?

-eaux-
May 16, 2011, 10:56 PM
because i have a wife and kids and it is my role to be their fence betwixt them and the world.

Nushif
May 16, 2011, 11:19 PM
because i have a wife and kids and it is my role to be their fence betwixt them and the world.

I tried that for a while and found myself incapable of doing that job. 8( these days Pietro Beretta does that sort of thing.

I read a lot about keeping others safe and having a duty and all that, but I frankly don't feel like I can do this as a private citizen. Hells, the Police can't do it! And they're at it without having to go to school, work a job or whatnot.

harqueb.us
May 17, 2011, 12:46 AM
I carry so that I'll have my gun along with me.

DNS
May 17, 2011, 05:45 AM
Because bad stuff happens to good people.

Also, apparently, i've been setting an example for my daughter. Just this week she asked me the legal age for carry in Texas.

Couldn't be more proud. :D

hammerclaw56
May 17, 2011, 06:07 AM
I carry because its my duty as a husband and a father to protect those I love,God forbid I ever have to use it but at least I dont feel completly helpless if the shtf. At least I have a fighting chance to do all I can in the event someone would try to harm me or my loved ones.

One-Time
May 17, 2011, 09:34 AM
I could lay out a long list of why, but since I am an American, and by virtue of that i have a right to carry a gun, nothing more needs be said

Cliff Notes Version-

Because i can!

bikerdoc
May 17, 2011, 09:47 AM
Cause I am too young to die, and too old to take an buttwhooplin.

Kleanbore
May 17, 2011, 09:57 AM
Really---why do you carryAlthough the likelihood of being attacked by one or more violent criminal actors is very low, the potential consequences, should that happen, are severe indeed. I find the choice of accepting that risk without mitigation to be unacceptable, and I know of no other practical way to mitigate it effectively.

Carrying a firearm (and being able to use it) is not my only mitigation strategy; it is done in concert with the avoidance of risky situations and areas; staying alert regarding surroundings and goings on; avoiding behavior that would make me the subject of attention from potential predators; carrying a cell phone; carrying a chemical agent; and carrying a walking stick, the temporary need for which recently arose for other reasons.

Although I have owned and used firearms for more than half a century, I do not carry one "because I can"--there are many other more useful things that I could keep on my person that I choose to not carry. It comes down to a simple matter of risk management.

mljdeckard
May 17, 2011, 10:05 AM
I will certainly say that my way of thinking has changed a lot since I started carrying in 1995, when I was 21. I was a walking Freudian inferiority complex, it felt SO COOL.

I barely recognize that guy anymore. I am much better trained and informed. Now carrying feels like my seatbelt. If I am not allowed to carry (as when I spent a year in California on orders,) I feel like I have been prevented from putting on my seatbelt. When you have been carrying for a while, you start to view the world differently. You notice a lot of things you never paid attention to before, because there was nothing you could do about it before. You just walked blindly and blissfully. When you are armed, you are much more impressed to pay attention to your surroundings and be responsible. You are aware that there is a very different possible outcome if you get into trouble, and it conditions you to think a few steps ahead to avoid it.

I carry for the same reason I have fire-extinguishers, seatbelts, and smoke alarms. Being prepared for bad things that may happen doesn't mean you are paranoid.

Pete D.
May 17, 2011, 10:12 AM
I carry for the same reason I have fire-extinguishers, seatbelts, and smoke alarms. Being prepared for bad things that may happen doesn't mean you are paranoid.

I do agree with that statement. I would - and will - say it more generally for myself. The word is "empowerment". Another is "readiness".
Pete

inclinebench
May 17, 2011, 03:19 PM
I carry because of John Lee morva and Seung-Hui Cho

Harley Quinn
May 17, 2011, 03:28 PM
NRA has just started this situation with LAPD:what:

http://michellawyers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Memo-Re-Assenza-Davis-v-LA.pdf

The City of Los Angeles has had multiple lawsuits filed against it due to its politicized decision making in denying licenses to carry concealed weapons (CCW).
1. Even after a judge ordered the City of Los Angeles and its agents to follow certain guidelines and procedures when processing applications and issuing such licenses, the City of LA has been reticent to comply with these guidelines and procedures.

This will be a major player down the road :uhoh:

carbuncle
May 17, 2011, 04:24 PM
Just in case, because anything can (and does) happen.

malakili
May 17, 2011, 05:18 PM
Because I figure the one time I don't bring it with me... I'll really really need it.

TexasBill
May 17, 2011, 09:00 PM
I've read all the good reasons and all the humorous reasons. My response to the OP is... Really---Why wouldn't I?

Resist Evil
May 17, 2011, 09:19 PM
My right to self defense supersedes the privilege of government to abrogate it. Since it is likely that a handgun will be a more effective self defense tool than any other I can conveniently carry, that is what I choose to use.

A 1911 pressed against my skull once in a dark parking lot convinced me that this is the attitude to have.

scouterjoe
May 17, 2011, 10:15 PM
I have three answers, from smart ass to intellectual.

"Why do you carry a gun?"

1. "Because a cop is too heavy!"

2. The Boy Scout Answer: "Be Prepared" <My favorite

3. "Because it is my right. A right not exercised will be taken from you."

Keep carryin',

ScouterJoe

CPerdue
May 17, 2011, 10:31 PM
I carry because of John Lee morva and Seung-Hui Cho
Yep. I was there for both of those, and carrying too - just not in the right building.

Carrying makes me a better person. I can't let myself get away with stuff, can't act like the jerk I want to sometimes, etc. That weight on my hip is a constant reminder.

Axel Larson
May 17, 2011, 11:19 PM
1 Because it is my right.
2 it is legal in Vermont
3 It gives added comfort of knowing you do not need to rely on someone else to defend you. Mainly this last one.

BIGGBAY90
May 23, 2011, 08:13 PM
Only for certain states

kingpin008
May 23, 2011, 08:41 PM
Only for certain states

Only what for certain states? :confused:

JerryM
May 23, 2011, 09:04 PM
I just like guns, and there is a very small chance I might need it. However, if I cannot carry it for whatever reason I do not worry about it. But especially when on the road it is a comfort to have.
Jerry

royal barnes
May 23, 2011, 09:14 PM
I carried every day for 27 years as a cop. I still carry every day because I've seen what's out there.

Haywireranch
May 24, 2011, 08:37 PM
My wife and I just took are chl test on may 22nd. We will not be victims without our right to defend ourselves !!!!!

Rail Driver
May 24, 2011, 08:39 PM
This is why I carry:

*edit to add: those are small toys, not turds... my camera really doesn't do well.
http://a4.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/149/87e63e043ee347f3af42fb5e906795e0/l.jpg

BIGGBAY90
May 24, 2011, 09:33 PM
Some states/city have no carry

wrs840
May 24, 2011, 10:41 PM
I own guns because it's part the USA's founding assumptions that a citizen should be prepared to defend himself, his loved ones, and if necessary, his nation.

I carry a gun (whenever dressed, where legal) because a gun's not much use locked-up, and I think it's not smart or safe to leave them laying-around.

orionengnr
May 24, 2011, 10:51 PM
Really?

Search much?

Erik M
May 24, 2011, 11:30 PM
Because it is my right, and it is state law that if I meet requirements (I do) that i can. I am not a LEO but I do work for law enforcement in a support role. There are some really distasteful individuals out there, there have been two drug related killings in my county since the start of the year. The last one was a home invasion in which 2 ex-cons and 2 prostitutes beat an elderly man to death then looted his home. He lived long enough to call 911 and tell the cops who did it. This happened in what is considered a 'good' part of town.

Dr_B
May 25, 2011, 12:51 AM
- Because it's my right, and I like to exercise my rights.
- Because I like guns.
- Because I like the option of lethal force if I need it. Not saying I want the psychological trauma of killing someone, or the legal hassle, but its and option I want to have if a situation goes bad.

SniperStraz
May 25, 2011, 01:08 AM
There's always someone faster and stronger than you!
A CCW is an equalizer.

Guardrail
May 25, 2011, 02:23 AM
Because I want to. Isn't that enough reason?

Guardrail

gathert
May 26, 2011, 01:33 AM
I am the one responsible for my safety, and no one else. I will be not lay down and wait for someone else to do the right thing when its my responsibility as well. I have the 2nd amendment to back up my stance on carrying, and no one will ever be able to make me think different. Even had to give up a girlfriend partly for that reason. My safety is not worth other people telling me I am wrong.

gdcpony
May 26, 2011, 12:36 PM
I don't carry because I choose not to. I could carry if I chose too. I will carry if I want to. I won't carry if I don't.

Nothing else needed so far as I am concerned.

junebug
May 27, 2011, 03:20 AM
I like Royal Barnes answer. [I have seen whats out there.] I alone am responsiable for the safety of my family and myself. I ask no one to do for me what I am not willing to do for myself. Not all threats come on two legs, some have 4 . A bull will kill you just as quick as a scumbag , and show just as much remorse. And yes the bull drove his point home very well,[ouch] but I won the war. always be prepared

BIGGBAY90
June 1, 2011, 09:10 PM
there's always someone faster and stronger than you!
A ccw is an equalizer.
he might be thinking the same thing

Akeva41
June 1, 2011, 09:20 PM
This is why I carry:

*edit to add: those are small toys, not turds... my camera really doesn't do well.

I did not see that right away and was almost in tears laughing so hard thinking it was poop!

Akeva41
June 1, 2011, 09:24 PM
Oh and I carry for my job and off duty to protect myself and family. The only time there is not a gun physically attached to my body is when I am sleeping and then it is on my night stand 8 inches from me.

x_wrench
June 1, 2011, 09:27 PM
REALLY? not so much for me or the wife. but for the kids. there is no way, no how, if i have anything to say about it, that anyone is going to hurt my kids! and carrying gives me one more good tool to accomplish that goal.

joeq
June 1, 2011, 09:36 PM
Really? Self defense just like everyone else.

BIGGBAY90
June 2, 2011, 09:00 PM
Wow---there is a lot of things happening in your neck of the woods

ConstitutionCowboy
June 2, 2011, 09:29 PM
Look at your rights and freedoms as what is required to survive and be free when there is no government. Governments come and go, but your rights live on. If you wish to survive government, you must protect with jealous resolve all the powers that come with your rights - especially with the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. Without the power of those arms, you will perish with government - or at its hand. B.E. Wood

That's why I carry... And keep, too.

Woody

westy39
June 2, 2011, 10:42 PM
I carry to protect me and mine. I am a recently retired Police Officer and after 22 years of service I have seen what people are capable of when angry,drunk,or high. The idea of being a victim fails to appeal to me in any way, shape, or form. I have to admit that after many years as a Police Officer I really don't think it is unusual to carry a side arm. I guess I would feel a bit under dressed if I didn't have a gun on me or near me. I see a gun as a tool and its use as a last resort. Then of course there is that right to keep and bear arms, it is such a pesky thing to some paople. Living the dream in Big Sky Country... Westy39

RichBMW
June 3, 2011, 06:17 AM
Because I can do it safely and legally. If I was risking injury (to myself or another) or arrest by carrying, those risks would outweigh the personal safety gains. For me.

Me too.

jon_in_wv
June 3, 2011, 06:51 AM
Because all people aren't Christians.

But thats just me.

CajunBass
June 3, 2011, 07:08 AM
Mostly because I like guns. And for years it was against the law without a permit, and permits were few and far between.

Now we have "shall issue" permits. Not perfect, but better than before. So now I've got a permit. If I got a permit, I might as well carry.

Now to get rid of need for a permit at all.

TheProf
June 4, 2011, 08:53 AM
As a person who values human life and peace... I am take personal responsibility to protect my family. I realize that there are people out there capable of great evil.

It's sad that we live in such a world. But I refuse to be a victim...

vito
June 4, 2011, 11:20 AM
I carry a small gun because I have a big............................................stomach.

Nushif
June 4, 2011, 12:04 PM

*le sigh* And you people wonder.

jon_in_wv
June 4, 2011, 01:40 PM
*le sigh* And you people wonder.

I'm quite sure you don't know who "you people" are. I would wager I'm not in the group you are talking about or responsible for the group you are.

oldvet53
June 4, 2011, 02:05 PM
because it's my right and to old to fight and can't/won't run.

Sniderman
June 4, 2011, 02:12 PM
'"Really---Why do you carry?"

Too Many reasons to bother listing them all,,
I am old and no longer willing/able to tussle in the dirt with an agressor.
I am otherwise helpless in a sometimes violently agressive society.
I value a peacefull society.
I have an Inalienable right to the security of my person.
I am an active participant in the safety and security of my friends and my society.
Any human right that's not used becomes, by default, pointless.

Quoheleth
June 4, 2011, 02:22 PM
Remember the old advice, "Keep your friends close?" So, I keep my Rugers and S&Ws nearby, as close as I can. Fortunately, that's against my skin.

Q

Tape
June 4, 2011, 02:28 PM
this question reminds me of every cop that finds out that you carry a weapon.

BIGGBAY90
June 4, 2011, 03:06 PM
this question reminds me of every cop that finds out that you carry a weapon.
why----cops carry too

jon_in_wv
June 4, 2011, 03:51 PM
I value a peacefull society.

Great answer Sniderman.

HavelockLEO
June 4, 2011, 07:14 PM
On duty I open carry, off duty I carry because I'm so used to having it on I feel naked without it.

The other reason is that after I became a LEO an dealt with some assorted wanna-be gang bangers, and I was out on a day off and they saw me and decided to try to come show me how bad-a$$ they were and I was carrying and showed them by lifting an arm to get something off of a store shelf and letting my weapon show, they turned on thier heals and went elsewhere VERY quickly.

The last reason is that as a LEO I can carry just about everywhere in the state as long as I have my credentials on me, and out of state with my credentials and F5 form.

jon_in_wv
June 4, 2011, 07:28 PM
The last reason is that as a LEO I can carry just about everywhere in the state as long as I have my credentials on me, and out of state with my credentials and F5 form.

If you are a LEO you can carry in all of the US states and its territories with only your credentials. (HR218 LEOSA)

CZ223
June 4, 2011, 08:00 PM
a jack and a spare in each of my vehicles in case I get a flat tire.
I also carry a triple A card in case the car breaks down.
I carry insurance on my house and car in case of accidents and fire.
I carry a gun in case a cop is not around when I need him most.

I hope never to need any of the above.

HavelockLEO
June 4, 2011, 09:06 PM
If you are a LEO you can carry in all of the US states and its territories with only your credentials. (HR218 LEOSA)

Its my departments policy that we carry a copy of our F5 if we go out of state, I know about HR218, but what the Chief says (SOP) is what I have to follow.

jon_in_wv
June 4, 2011, 11:45 PM
Agreed, you do have to follow your departments policy. We all like keeping our jobs. I was just being sure you knew it wasn't required by the law. I still run into cops who haven't even heard of LEOSA.

SFsc616171
June 5, 2011, 09:24 PM
I am a disabled elder veteran. I live in a town in the South dominated by the large historical-building owning, and college-operating denominational group of choice. I am a licensed Pagan priest and columnist with the local/regional newspaper, therefore, the threat of the religious zealots, which now include the Jihadists bent on killing Americans. (BTDT, 1972, Thailand, of all places!) Since Hurricane Katrina, there has been a slow but steady increase of criminal activity, and home invasion. I do not feel safe in my age or condition. That is why I carry.

GLOOB
June 5, 2011, 09:49 PM
I have never witnessed much for violent crime.

I once saw a bookstore get held up. The guy did not have any visible weapon. He didn't have his hands hidden in his pockets. He didn't raise his voice or make any gestures. Apparently, he just politely asked the cashier for money. After it was handed over, he bolted. I could have fallen asleep while watching it happen. Never felt the least bit threatened. If the cashier didn't call the cops afterward, I wouldn't have been sure a crime occurred.

I carry

1. Because it's my right
2. Because I like guns
3. For self defense

Bob N. Weave
June 5, 2011, 11:46 PM
I carry a gun because cops are to heavy!:D

MrsSmith
June 6, 2011, 12:33 AM
- Because I am not a sheep
- 2A
- I'm a petite female - a gun levels that particular field a bit
- Ahhh, the smell of gunpowder...

BIGGBAY90
June 7, 2011, 05:35 AM
I carry a gun because cops are to heavy!:D
okay

gathert
June 7, 2011, 12:14 PM
Besides, they leave little doughnut crumbs in your pockets too :)

BIGGBAY90
June 8, 2011, 07:37 PM
Besides, they leave little doughnut crumbs in your pockets too :)
OKAY

Ole Coot
June 9, 2011, 10:21 AM
It's my right and just in case you live in the country a few weeks ago a woman was attacked and mauled close to death by a pack of dogs. This was somewhere around Logan, WV. We have the same problem everywhere some kind owner wants to get rid of Fido but can't bear the thought of having a vet or himself kill the animal so they drop them off in the country thinking they will be welcomed and will have a good home. They then drive home with a big grin with the stupid thought that ole Fido will have a great home and be able to run free. I carry always, went into a courthouse yesterday in KY forgetting I had a pistol, 3 1/2" assisted opener and a SAK on me(getting forgetful). I left the knives and pistol with the guard, picked them up on the way out and no problem. I do love this part of the country.

BIGGBAY90
June 12, 2011, 05:40 PM
Many woman don't carry even with the option to do so

beeenbag
June 12, 2011, 05:50 PM
ole coot

you must be from my neck of the woods, Tim irr on WSAZ news tell ya about the dog attack? Thats where I seen it.

I live in Grayson

CornCod
June 12, 2011, 05:58 PM
I carry because I am a warrior at heart. That dosen't mean I get a thrill out of shooting people, but a warrior has a weapon.

IcemanUnlimited
June 12, 2011, 06:02 PM
I PLAN to carry a firearm as soon as legally possible because I am a strong believer in refusing to be a victim. For now I carry a pocket knife, sometimes pepper spray.

NMGonzo
June 12, 2011, 11:45 PM
Because I want to.

I don't carry when I don't want to.

NMGonzo
June 12, 2011, 11:48 PM

But thats just me.

Because all people aren't atheists, and they might knock on my door trying to sell me on their invisible friend.

But that's just me.

SFsc616171
June 13, 2011, 12:37 AM
The reasons I carry are thus:
1. I am a disabled vet, who now has been branded as 'suspect', as are ALL military veterans, by the mere fact of my existence, by a government, that is inhabited by those that took an oath under false pretenses.
2. The undeniable facts of increased crime, whether it is home invasions, or on the street, are still there. I cannot perform, physiologically, as I had in my days of active military service. Therefore, to fend off the wolves that may come, I must prepare myself.
3. As being a disabled vet, and having served my country, there is no question that I have reserved the right to defend myself, on my streets, or in my home. I will not accept that phrase, "shoot to kill", because that implies premeditation. Were the supposed scenario to become real life, I would "shoot to stay alive", but I do not give that future time a 'fetish-like' status. It is NOT within a theater of combat, during operations of war, in the defense of my country, as it was long ago. It is the act of self-preservation, by an American. Self-preservation is a basic human right, and one not sold away to the State for that false sense of security.
4. The U.S. Supreme Court has stated: "1982-Bowers vs DeVito: "There is no Constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen." 1982, folks! Therefore, I protect myself.
5. Since 1993, with the FIRST NYC Twin Towers bombing, the Jihadists of Mohameddanism, or as they wish to call it, Islam, have declared war on all peoples of all descents who call themselves Americans. Just as those same folks wish to destroy Israel, the Jewish national state, they wish to destroy us or become our overlords, because we also exist. I view these self-proclaimed 'freedom fighters' (remember the PLO?), as I still view those in present-day Russia who look at America as their problem to eradicate. It was not the peace-and-love-fuzzy side of the Islamic coin that made havoc during the 1972 Munich Olympics, was it? Therefore, I arm myself in readiness, (and I hope NOT), in case these nice folks attempt to harm those around me, at a future moment.

This is a serious business, with serious dedications, with possible serious outcomes, for both sides. This answer does not validate the: "Oh come on, what is your 'real reason' for carrying?", as the questioneer looks at you over their martini at the bar. I do not believe that the questioneer could truly fathom the depths of heart-searching it took, to come to the decision to go through the process, be investigated, be fingerprinted, become certified by learning what to do, knowing what the possibilities are, choosing the most correct firearm that fits their defined perspectives, making that firearm work in their hands, and living that choice, until there are no more days. I end by quoting the lines from a movie, " I speak so you know my words of life are true, and my words of death are true."

simon_rook
June 13, 2011, 02:55 AM
Honestly, I started because I live in a city where guns are very accessible and lots of people have them. Where I grew up street fights were common place and there was usually more than a fair share of trouble on the weekends. I figured living someplace with such lax gun laws might be dangerous :rolleyes: (I roll my eyes now but then I was serious)

Funny thing now I've lived here a yr and a half and that is not the case at all. I haven't seen a single fight since I moved here actually. (I now believe gun control is a problem) I still carry because I've gotten used to it and there is still that faint chance something might happen but I definitely dont go to the gas station for chew or the local pizza shack for wings on a weekend night on high alert like everybody out is a gangbanger or looking for trouble.

RevDerb
June 13, 2011, 07:34 AM
I have a functional fire extinguisher in my kitchen and ALWAYS wear my seat belt. Why do you ask? :uhoh:

pockets
June 13, 2011, 09:27 AM
Because all people aren't atheists, and they might knock on my door trying to sell me on their invisible friend.
But that's just me.
I love it...thank you. And all the people said, "Amen!". ;)

BIGGBAY90
June 16, 2011, 09:32 PM
I'm lost

Jonah71
June 17, 2011, 10:43 AM
May have already posted. But one reason is that I do not like that totally helpless feeling of being shot at or even having a gun pointed in my direction without at least having the ability or means to defend myself. You can't always depend on the BG being a bad shot. And btw.....I would never work in a "big city" liquor store again under any circumstances. And I do not leave home unarmed, even though I now live in what I believe to be one of the safest towns I've ever seen, thanks to the local PD and scores of people with CCW permits.

Chipshot
June 17, 2011, 03:01 PM
I saw this on another forum that I belong to. Its as good of a reason as any to carry.

“The Gun Is Civilization"

By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret)

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.

The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a [armed] mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat - it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed.

People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser.

People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force, watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier, works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level.

The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply would not work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that Icannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation...And that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act !!

By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret.)

CutMan
June 17, 2011, 03:43 PM
Because I have a lot to protect.... a beautiful wife and daughter; can't count on anyone else.

CutMan
June 17, 2011, 03:58 PM
because all people aren't christians.

But thats just me.
comment removed.

"We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of politics, abortion, religion, and sexual orientation often degenerate into less-than-polite arguments or claims that "my God is better than your God". For this reason, we do not discuss such subjects on THR, and any threads dealing primarily with these subjects will be closed or deleted immediately." THR rules.

Dnaltrop
June 17, 2011, 04:06 PM
Because with the death and bomb threats my wife and her workplaces have received over the last decade +, (insurance work) , I would deserve to be charged with gross criminal negligence if I did any less.

They have layers of bullet resistant glass on their office windows and doors for a reason, I can't afford to armor my house.

Lakedaemonian
June 18, 2011, 02:44 PM
Because I'm not a HIPPY. I will kill to defend my life, not everyone walks around with flowers in their hair dreaming of how perfect this world is. This world is FAR from perfect.

BIGGBAY90
June 18, 2011, 04:22 PM
Because I'm not a HIPPY. I will kill to defend my life, not everyone walks around with flowers in their hair dreaming of how perfect this world is. This world is FAR from perfect.
But far from chaso

FROGO207
June 18, 2011, 04:43 PM
I have been told by many that I am extremely intelligent and I am able to use this gift to my advantage. So I prepare for the worst and often find I need less.:cool: I digress------------------------WHY NOT:D

ChCx2744
June 19, 2011, 04:23 AM
I like to think of my carry gun as a life insurance policy of sorts. Do you only wear a seat belt when you are planning on getting into an accident? Do you only lock your door when you are planning on getting burglarized? I carry or have a gun within arms' reach a majority of the time, with the exception of carrying into off-limit places. It's better to have it and not need it, rather than need it but not have it.

tbutera2112
June 19, 2011, 10:30 AM
when i was 15 i was riding my bike home at night (9pm - it was dark because it was late in the year)....on a main road in a busy suburb....i saw three guys up ahead and i knew something bad was about to happen, but there was nothing i could do at that point...i sped up the fastest i could, they started crossing the street in front of me and slammed into my bike throwing me off and down into a drainage ditch....the 3 of them circled around me (i could only see 2 of them, one was out of view)...the 1 directly in front of me had a gun and was telling me to give him all my money, the other one was standing closer like he was about to try and take my stuff from me....after saying i dont have any money i got hit in the jaw by the one that was out of my view, and the one in front of me went for his gun ...i ended up giving up my wallet and they took off before anything else happened...but it could have been such a worse outcome...it is a horrible feeling to be a victim and i never want to be put in that position again where i cannot defend myself...they could have killed me and i wouldnt have been able to put up a fight at all, and THAT is a scary though...i dont want my life in anyone elses hands but my own

my fiance doesnt understand that the world is a messed up place...she is under the mentality that "that wont ever happen to us"....but ive been there, i know how it feels....and ill do everything i can to protect her and protect myself, whether she likes it or not....shes anti-gun, hates them so much she wont even shoot them recreationally when i go shooting with her dad in the yard, wont be around us while were shooting, etc....but she knows i carry and i told her its something she has to learn to live with, and thats that

doc2rn
June 19, 2011, 05:28 PM
Because its the right tool for certain jobs.

littlebubba
June 21, 2011, 05:32 PM
Because: A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

BIGGBAY90
June 25, 2011, 07:37 PM
Because: A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
YEA But wich state

ObsidianOne
June 25, 2011, 08:23 PM
I carry to look like a super bad arse, make my friends jealous, and occasionally to fire up in the air in celebration. Oh, and to comply with this law:

When you pull up to a stop sign you must fire a gun out the window to warn horse carriages that you are coming.

Really though, I carry to defend myself. I refuse to be a victim.

LaVere
June 25, 2011, 10:33 PM
I carry because I live in the number crime/murder capital Flint, Mi . I'm 69 yo. I have a broken leg that is nearly healed. I walk with a cane or walker. I cant run away from danger. I always been active. I refuse to limit my activities . I can't sell my house and move. But I can shoot and I do.

Flfiremedic
June 26, 2011, 12:01 AM
Efim Bogolyubov, a Russian Chess Master was asked which he prefered to play the white or black pieces his reply: “When I have White, I win because I am white;
When I have Black, I win because I am Bogolyubov”
If you step back and think about it, change the word "White" to weapon and I have a weapon and "Black" to no weapon, it's a good mindset, and my reason for carrying.

Taurus 66
June 26, 2011, 12:45 AM
Efim Bogolyubov, a Russian Chess Master was asked which he prefered to play the white or black pieces his reply: “When I have White, I win because I am white;
When I have Black, I win because I am Bogolyubov”
If you step back and think about it, change the word "White" to weapon and "Black" to no weapon, it's a good mindset, and my reason for carrying.

Not the best of examples but ...

Why is the contrast "White" associated with a weapon in your example here?

Flfiremedic
June 26, 2011, 01:53 AM
Fixed it....just a basic mindset...If I have a weapon, I will win because I have a weapon...anyway just my take on things...I will protect my family and loved ones...spent an entire adult life seeing the socitety at its worst.

rhweb32
June 26, 2011, 01:57 AM
Because lugging a cop around would break my back....

indie
June 26, 2011, 11:24 AM
I started carrying after a shopping mall shooting while my wife and I were going to the movies. The panic and feeling of helplessness to protect her as we hid behind the ticket counter made my mind up pretty much on the spot.

littlebubba
June 26, 2011, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by littlebubba View Post

BIGBAY90 Asked:
YEA But wich state

Answer: MINE

BIGGBAY90
June 26, 2011, 02:28 PM
Answer: MINE
So it applies to some states---right

NSW R&D
June 26, 2011, 03:05 PM
Because as a trained "Wolf" who wore a uniform, and actively hunted other "wolves" in far away lands (like Astan), it's hard for old habits to die even though your not supposed to carry in Il.
I'm responsible for my own well being, not somebody else. And as a mature adult it's more about responsibilty than any right. Dale

JVaughn
June 26, 2011, 03:09 PM
"The constitutions of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed; that they are entitled to freedom of person, freedom of religion, freedom of property and freedom
of the press." -Thomas Jefferson

My hero.

littlebubba
June 26, 2011, 04:59 PM
So it applies to some states---right
Would you care to develop an argument from your posts or is this just an instance of baseless belligerence? I live in a state that still believes in and supports a citizen's right to keep and bear arms and to defend himself and his property and for that I will not apologize. If your state refuses to recognize those same rights then you have my sympathies and I hope that changes for you very soon.

T.R.
June 26, 2011, 05:22 PM
1) Not interested in dying unarmed at the hands of violent criminals.

2) Dark parking lots late at night make me nervous but my 38 is reassuring.

TR

cpuckett812
June 26, 2011, 05:49 PM
Because I dont make a very good victim

BIGGBAY90
June 26, 2011, 06:19 PM
Reply to ittlebubba (Sir)
These are questions that come up from friends in some state that can't carry,Thats why i question ''people'' who are happy and content because they have the option. Thats all.

**A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed** I wish it to be true for all of the United States---Peace to all

littlebubba
June 26, 2011, 06:35 PM
Reply to ittlebubba (Sir)
These are questions that come up from friends in some state that can't carry,Thats why i question ''people'' who are happy and content because they have the option. Thats all.

**A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed** I wish it to be true for all of the United States---Peace to all
BIGBAY90,

Good luck to you sir and all citizens of the Empire State in your efforts to secure and protect your second amendment rights. I did not realize that New York (as a state) had such restrictive gun laws. I'm new to the forum and am just now learning of some of the unbelievable repression occurring in some of the other states in the union (Maryland, for example). I, for my part, will continue to contribute my dollars to the NRA and hope that some of that funding goes toward the emancipation of the liberties of my less fortunate American brethren.

BIGGBAY90
June 26, 2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks, but you should see 126 miles down from me (NYC) Mannnnnnnn.
NRA is a Great team

If you enjoyed reading about "Really---why do you carry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!