WON an 887......now what

PDA

mptrimshop
May 15, 2011, 02:06 PM
so last night i won a Remington 887 at a waterfowl benefit. I have never really longed to own an 887, so now i'm stuck in a delema. i'm hoping the LGS will offer me the option to not receive the gun and use the value as a credit toward another purchase

If you enjoyed reading about "WON an 887......now what" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Charleo0192
May 15, 2011, 02:09 PM
shoot it?

chevyman097
May 15, 2011, 02:12 PM
If it was me Id just keep it. Unless at the time I just really had my eye on something I might try and talk them into the credit for what I wanted. Im the type that once I have a gun I keep it. No selling. But seeing as its not in my hands yet I could probably bend the rules a little.:p

pikid89
May 15, 2011, 02:14 PM
good luck getting the credit, they probably gave it to the raffle cuz they couldnt get rid of it..
.the 887 has not been well received, prob mostly because of the factory included finger crusher, also known as a slide release

Toaster
May 15, 2011, 02:22 PM
A free shottie is a dilemma? Hand that shotgun over to me and I'll do the suffering for you!

Furncliff
May 15, 2011, 02:25 PM
None of the above was my answer.

Take delivery of the gun, put it up for auction online with the notice that the proceeds from the auction sale will be donated to... [insert YOUR favorite charity or cause here].

Rail Driver
May 15, 2011, 02:26 PM
I've won two cleaning kits (and for some reason the company keeps sending me another new one for free every couple months... not that I'm complaining!) but I've never won a firearm, although I did get a free shotgun once when I bought a truck for my pops.

FIVETWOSEVEN
May 15, 2011, 02:56 PM
prob mostly because of the factory included finger crusher, also known as a slide release

After handling one at a gunshop once I put it on the don't care enough to own list. First thing I noticed was the finger crusher.

mptrimshop
May 16, 2011, 01:40 AM
i forgot to mention that i picked up a new in box VX-II 3x9 for $80 at a garage sale 2 weeks ago that needs a new home too....

LS240
May 16, 2011, 02:04 AM
I'm not a fan of those 887s. The plastic vent rib is twisted on every single example I've ever seen and they just feel cheap, cheap, cheap. The trigger sucks too with tons of creep and no clean break, but it's light at least. It actually shoots ok for clays in my experience, but the feel is so cheap I would never consider one over my 870. So my vote is sell it and buy something else.

dirtykid
May 22, 2011, 11:49 AM
My neighbor just won TWO of these at a local Ducks-Unlimited banquet, Remington 887 "Ultramaxx" he's thinkin he wants to keep one and trade the other in on a 50-cal-thompson muzzle-loader,, he owes me some favors and i told him i may want it but not sure how much to offer him (CASH) any shop-owners want to give me an idea what he would expect for "trade" price ?? I was gonna offer him $250 but dont want to insult him or make him feel like i was tryin to rip him off.. Any ideas ??

earlthegoat2
May 22, 2011, 12:04 PM
I would say to cast that 887 into the fires from wence it came because that is what should have been done to all of them at the Remington factory but in this case you should under no circumstances own that gun for any longer than is absolutely necessary.

So hopefully you can get store credit and never have to officially own it.

InkEd
May 22, 2011, 12:26 PM
Trade it toward something you would rather own.

mptrimshop
May 22, 2011, 02:33 PM
on that note anyone want to offer a trade for it....

earlthegoat2
May 23, 2011, 10:22 PM
on that note anyone want to offer a trade for it....

Do you accept bits of string?

Birdmang
May 23, 2011, 10:34 PM
Where in IL are you located and which gun shop is doing the transfer?

mptrimshop
May 23, 2011, 11:11 PM
i'm located in coal city a a guy that dose mostly transfers is getting it...i have not been in his shop

stan rose
May 23, 2011, 11:26 PM
I would keep it as a spare, or loaner gun.

BENBRU
May 23, 2011, 11:34 PM
I love my 887... I wouldn't get rid of it... keep it, shoot it, enjoy it. It's different, I beat mine up and don't care what else I do to it.

On that note, I hope you break your knee walking into the store... I haven't ever won a gun... :)

a-sheepdog
May 23, 2011, 11:38 PM
None of those were really my answer. I would probably keep it because I do duck hunt, but possibly sell it and buy whatever I wanted with the cash, most likely gun related.

-eaux-
May 23, 2011, 11:46 PM
I like Furncliff's answer. You didn't go buy it, you got it as laignappe/serendipity/whatever you wanna call it. If you don't want it, convert it into proceeds for the charity of your choice.

gordy
May 24, 2011, 08:53 PM
Wow you won a new shotgun and you don't know what to do with it.
Find some kid who has no shotgun and give it to him. Teach him or her to hunt. What are you out? nothing you won it.
Some kid would be over joyed that you gave them a shotgun. Throw in a few boxes of shells. For less then 20 bucks you made a kid your new BFF.
The reward that you would get is priceless. And your getting some kid outside hunting. Turkeys, deer, doves, pheasents, ducks, rabbits, tree rats,
The list goes on.
That's it give it to a KID!!!

mgmorden
May 24, 2011, 09:00 PM
The plastic vent rib is twisted on every single example I've ever seen and they just feel cheap, cheap, cheap.

Ugh. Why would they even bother with that? If the vent rib costs too much just leave it off completely before throwing on a piece of plastic. Heck a lot of shooters I know prefer a smooth-top anyways.

That said, a free gun is a free gun. I'd probably keep it just to have fun with and as a conversation piece.

mptrimshop
May 24, 2011, 10:22 PM
well i got to see the gun today..get to pick it up tomorrow....wow this ting is light..and the vent rib is not twisted...i might be falling in love.....or it could just be passion....will it be a one night fling..more than likely...but heck i got a safe full of one night flings....i'm still considering the bits of string in trade...LOL

dirtykid
May 25, 2011, 01:52 PM
i dont know how you got it "free",, every DU-banquet i've been too has left me with a broken-checkbook,, never won anything bigger than a Coleman cooler,,

1KPerDay
May 25, 2011, 02:16 PM
Do you accept bits of string?
Only if they're ready-to-handle, pre-cut, rust-proof Simpson's individual Stringettes in 3-inch lengths.

bigalexe
May 25, 2011, 02:17 PM
I am offering a new idea and I'm a bit biased. Give the gun to a new shooter!

Storytime:
I started looking for a shotgun as my first gun and as it turned out word got around until I finally ended up being GIVEN a brand new Mossy 500 about 4 months into my search that someone had won at an event and it sat on their shelf for 3 years. All the packaging was intact.

Why do I suggest doing like this?

Getting given a gun ends up giving that person an entire new aspect to their life. Precisely because I was GIVEN that gun now I am an NRA RSO, I work with Boy Scouts and advocate whenever I can. I am pretty sure if I had ended up buying that gun I would not be such a vocal advocate of the gun community and also would not be doing the outreach type of work I do with kids mostly when it comes to firearms.

Apocalypse-Now
May 25, 2011, 02:32 PM
i don't hope you trip and break your knee lol, but i would sell it for somethings else. anything else other than remington products.

mgmorden
May 25, 2011, 03:50 PM
i dont know how you got it "free",, every DU-banquet i've been too has left me with a broken-checkbook,, never won anything bigger than a Coleman cooler,,

Ain't that the truth. I've never left one without dropping at least $150, and usually more than that. If I would have won a gun (never have) I would have paid for it several times over by now. Still never won a thing from those. My brother did win a prize package a few years back. He went up, presented his ticket, and then asked if he could pick it up on the way out. When he went back an hour later everything of any value had been taken out of the package, including a really nice bottle of Woodford Reserve whiskey (they gave him a bottle of Seagrams VO from the bar to replace it :confused:).

That's also aside from the fact that the winners of all the really good prizes are always mighty suspicious. The majority of the guns at the ones I've went to mysteriously end up being won by the the "volunteers" organizing the event. And the year they raffled off a four wheeler it just happened to be won by the town mayor.

I swore a few years back that they were getting no more of my money. My sister-in-law has a cousin that works the things and he has tickets to GIVE away that I won't even take anymore.

mptrimshop
May 25, 2011, 07:10 PM
i spent $150 on tickets..they gave away 7 guns and there were about 200 people there so the odds of it happening were not as bad as normal...i doubt i'm going ti give the gun away...i don't mean to sound selfish but heck i buy raffle tickets all the time and have never won.....hey those tickets were available to everyone to buy...

If you enjoyed reading about "WON an 887......now what" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!