Talk me into (or out of) a Sig P250 or SP2022?

PDA

RP88
May 16, 2011, 12:04 AM
Hey there autoloader affectionados.

I have been looking into both the P250 and the SP2022 and can't really decide which to get (if either). Unfortunately, finding one to get a bit of range time of either one has been...unlucky.

Although I intend on trying them out before dropping the cash, I was wondering what any owners here think of them.

I will go ahead and admit my dirty secret concerning the P250: I like double-action Tupperware guns. For the cash, it seems like a good, sleek gun that would be good in compact as a CCW. The only bad thing I've heard so far is that the trigger is long and takes longer than LA traffic to finally break, despite it being smooth and relatively light. It's also ambidextrous, which is good for a left-handed devil-child like myself.

I've heard almost nothing but good about the SP2022. The trigger is nice, the controls are not as stiff, and although it is imbalanced it handles well. The only bad thing I've heard was that the trigger reset seems to 'slip'.

I do plan to try these out one day, but seriously...what does THR think about them? Good and/or bad experiences? Anything to watch out for?

Thanks for any info. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Talk me into (or out of) a Sig P250 or SP2022?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
contender
May 16, 2011, 01:37 AM
i have owned a 2340 sig pro

as far as the sig pro is concerned, i think they are a good pistol especially considering the price. the DA was decent, the SA broke almost glass rod smooth. Reliability was top notch. As a lefty, i am not fond of the decock feature on da/sa sigs. the mag release is reversable on the sig pro.

for a DAO weapon, i have the sig 226 DAK.......very impressed with this DAO system and for me, worth the expense. Mag release is also reversable.

no experience with the p250..... there was some chatter about the 250 failing the initial round of BATF/FBI testing last year, but the design has reported to been improved on since then.

Birdmang
May 16, 2011, 01:40 AM
Sig P250

Trigger pull sucks

RP88
May 16, 2011, 01:54 AM
care to go into detail?

I've heard it's very light but is long. Does that really effect anything or is just very 'un-Siglike' compared to their DA/SA triggers?

Birdmang
May 16, 2011, 02:00 AM
It is really long and you think its going to break then it doesn't and it keeps on keepin on not breaking for a long time then it does.

I played with it at a gun shop for a long time and I cannot like it, ever.

Cel
May 16, 2011, 08:36 AM
I own a Sig 2022 in 9mm and it is by far my favorite gun I have fired. It came down between the 2022 and a Glock 19. I was actually able to fire the Glock 19 first and I was accurate with it but I went with the 2022 on a whim. I'm glad I did. The trigger is smooth in DA or SA. KINDA long in DA but very smooth. In SA it really can't be beat. I can't speak for the P250 as far as actually firing one but I did handle one and I didn't care for it.

Storm
May 16, 2011, 10:24 AM
I own and shoot a P250 in 9mm subcompact and compact. The trigger will only be appreciated by those who have experience shooting DAO guns or take the time to actually shoot the gun and master it. Fortunately I am one of those people. Yes, the reset is long, but I find that it allows me to still shoot the gun as quickly as I could want accurately. Short-stroking ceases to be an issue with practice. Since the original reliability issues the gun has seen a major re-design with reliability no longer an issue.

That said, the P250 isn't for everyone. While I believe that the gun can offer much to those who take the time to learn it, or have the prerequiste skills to shoot it, the 2022 is the safer bet. I own a 2340 and if the 2022 is anything like it, which I believe that it is, then the 2022 will serve you well.

KDS
May 16, 2011, 10:30 AM
My Sig SP2022 is great. I picked it up on a whim and for $400, it was a steal. The ergos and controls work well for me and it shoots where I aim it. I have not had a single malfunction nor did I expect one. I have both a Smith & Wesson M&P and a Sig P226 and I would say the SP2022 runs just fine with both of them. Mine has fed every hollowpoint ammo I have tried, Gold Dots, Winchester Ranger, Federal Hydrashok, etc. You can't do wrong with a 2022 and I plan to get another one for a truck gun.

rellascout
May 16, 2011, 01:29 PM
I own and shoot a P250 in 9mm subcompact and compact. The trigger will only be appreciated by those who have experience shooting DAO guns or take the time to actually shoot the gun and master it. Fortunately I am one of those people. Yes, the reset is long, but I find that it allows me to still shoot the gun as quickly as I could want accurately. Short-stroking ceases to be an issue with practice. Since the original reliability issues the gun has seen a major re-design with reliability no longer an issue.

That said, the P250 isn't for everyone. While I believe that the gun can offer much to those who take the time to learn it, or have the prerequiste skills to shoot it

For me it was a why bother decision. I saw ZERO need to put time and money down the pipe of the gun to "learn" this trigger. If you are a revlover guy this is a good crutch/transition to a semi auto gun. For me it was not just that it was way tooooooooooooooooooooooooo long it was not consistent IMHO.

Kahrs trigger is almost as long but I have found it breaks cleanly and consistently which for me make a huge difference. I love the hidden comments like take the time to actually shoot the gun and master it....

RP88
May 16, 2011, 02:04 PM
well, every gun is different, so every gun does take a degree of learning or 'mastering'. That isn't really a fair quip unless you are the kind of shooter who buys one kind of gun and - when the need arises - buys the same gun in a different size and caliber. That is fine and all if that is how you work, but I personally would like more than one platform so long as it works for me. To be honest about the trigger anyway, my first two handguns I ever shot were a DA revolver and my Glock 17. I consider both of them to be bad in the trigger department but they have worked just fine for me. So, I am not so much turned off by the long trigger of the P250 as I am more interested in it.

But other than the trigger and the initial bad impression, is there anything else to worry about?

Also, glad to hear the love for the SP2022. I feel confident in it already :P

rellascout
May 16, 2011, 02:30 PM
So, I am not so much turned off by the long trigger of the P250 as I am more interested in it.

But other than the trigger and the initial bad impression, is there anything else to worry about?

Also, glad to hear the love for the SP2022. I feel confident in it already :P

I guesss my biggest issue is that what does the poor trigger on the Sig gain you. With hundreds of options out there why pick something which has a known disadvantage?

The gen #1 guns had problems. Since the reworks they seems to have worked out the kinks.

The SP2022 is going the opposite direction IMHO. When they were all German guns they were rock solid. Now tha they have been cheapend and are being produced here in the US there are lots of reports of failures in the 40 S&W and .357 Sig. The 9mm require hot ammo to break them in. This was never needed with the German contract guns made for the French.

I still think that they are good guns, the SP2022, but just not as good as they were in the past or as recently as 1 year ago.

rbernie
May 16, 2011, 02:57 PM
I still think that they are good guns, the SP2022, but just not as good as they were in the past or as recently as 1 year ago.
I'm interested in this data, since I'm considering a SP2022. Anything specific that seems to be an issue?

Bovice
May 16, 2011, 03:13 PM
The P250 has an atrociously long trigger pull. It has no intermediate reset. It resets after it has fully traveled forward. I can't see how this is supposed to be a good thing, the trigger pull is about 2 inches and I'm not sure how they intend for you to make any quick follow-up shots that actually hit the target. I couldn't even hit paper with it from 10 yards away. If you ask me, it's garbage. If you want a double action-type polymer gun, look at the glock, the S&W M&P, or an XD. Yes, I know that some are "pre-cocked" actions but I'm not trying to split hairs. The P250 is a miserable excuse for a SIG.

The 2022 is a much better gun.

contender
May 16, 2011, 05:33 PM
DAO trigger pull generally do not bother me since i appreciate revolvers.

what does bother me is on the Auto loaders is the DAO "trigger return". most seem to feel slow, weak compared to the trigger return on a revolver.

another reason i like the sig DAK. it is DAO but with a shorter ark and a shorter/quicker trigger return/reset.

Cel
May 16, 2011, 11:04 PM
For what's it worth, my 2022 is one of the newer Exeter(US made) models and I have not had even ONE issue with it. It has ate everything. FMJ, hollowpoints, and some was even very old 9mm I had sitting up. No problems whatsoever.

JoeMal
May 16, 2011, 11:07 PM
My cousin just bought a 2022 and the trigger reset is garbage IMO. Finish is meh. Plus you only get 1 mag.

Cel
May 16, 2011, 11:17 PM
I will say that that the one issue I have been seeing with the 2022 is the inconsistency in packaging. Mine came with two magazines, a lock, and lubricant. And it has the nitron finish on the slide. Others have the Ifalon finish and it is up in the air what configuration you might have in the box. But once again, I love mine.

saddlerocker
May 16, 2011, 11:29 PM
I was considering the sp2022, but have now narrowed it down to the M&P9 and the XD9.

The ergos dont feel as good on the sig, and I like the no Safety thing. Plus the M&P has a little extra barrel length (4.25)

JoeMal
May 16, 2011, 11:32 PM
Mine came with two magazines, a lock, and lubricant. And it has the nitron finish on the slide. Others have the Ifalon finish and it is up in the air what configuration you might have in the boxInteresting. My cousins came with 1 mag, lock, lube, night sites, and a red dot 0.o He bought his from Buds for $395 I think

Cel
May 17, 2011, 03:11 AM
Interesting. My cousins came with 1 mag, lock, lube, night sites, and a red dot 0.o He bought his from Buds for $395 I think

That's an interesting configuration to have. I know that some of the German made 2022's had night sites on them but I have never heard of one coming with a red dot. I think Sig might be randomly throwing kits together...

JoeMal
May 17, 2011, 10:45 AM
I know that some of the German made 2022's had night sites on themHis was made in NH I think? Maybe not NH but definitely here in the US at least that's how it was stamped

One-Time
May 17, 2011, 11:11 AM
id take the Pro over the 250 series, they are great guns that sadly went unnoticed by many until recently

rellascout
May 17, 2011, 12:48 PM
I'm interested in this data, since I'm considering a SP2022. Anything specific that seems to be an issue?

I have a german triple serial numbered SP2022 but this is what I understand about the new ones. There have been a few parts changes. They all now come with the small grip with internal laynard loop. They have an external extractor and more MIM parts then they used to. I do not know the extact number or which ones changes. Some have reported that there is a new Mag vendor.

New 9mm owners are reporting the need for break in periods. 200 or so rounds to get rid of FTF and FTEs. Many have suggested hotter 124 gr NATO spec ammo to help this. Those who have been using 115 WWB and lighter speced ammo report more problems. With the 9mms the issues seem to go away and do not return. Many people do not have any issues from day one and I still recommend the 9mm.

The 40 S&W and .357 Sig have reported failures which did not correct themselves. There have been reports of FTF, FTE, excessive barrel wear, slide damage, guns failing to fire in SA mode going DAO, failure to fire, hammer follow etc... There are a fair amount of reports.

Again I would not say that all SP2022s are bad but you never heard of these issues prior to the production moving to Exeter.

SlowFuse
May 17, 2011, 09:59 PM
I own 2 Sig P250s. What people are saying about the long trigger pull is exactly right. If you dont want a DA trigger, dont bother. This is perfect for revolver shooters to switch to a semi. This is the first semi i bought for my significant other. She needed a DA trigger system, so thats what I went by. I love Sig and everything they represent/stand behind. So naturally, the P250 became an option. The trigger has a long pull like I said, but inconsistent, it IS NOT. Unreliable, it is not. This gun has performed flawlessly. I bought two, as I said before. Hers is a first gen, mine is a second gen. Hers has around 1250 rounds through it without a hitch. Mine has over 2800, same deal. Sorry excuse for a Sig is a low blow from someone who hasnt put one through the ringer yet. And I agree with the old saying if you can shoot reliably and consistently with a DA any other normal SA is a cake walk. Take time to appreciate it before you bash it. Im used to Glocks, and can perform very well with them. However, I can switch directly over to this P250 after shooting my G26, 21 or 20 and do just as well. Just my $.02

rellascout
May 17, 2011, 10:20 PM
Buy it if you like a really long DA trigger with a really long reset.............. and want to own a Sig even if it is the most un Sig like pistol ever made.

Walking Dead
May 17, 2011, 10:25 PM
Shot them both liked the 2022 better.

JTQ
May 17, 2011, 10:48 PM
rellascout wrote,
Sorry but that is a typical response from someone who needs public validation of their purchase and feels the need to validate it when others do not share the love.

You like it great we get that but why the need to lash out at others because they do not share you love? Its tool you like it others do not. Get over it. Deal with it.

Wow, did SlowFuse's post get modified before we read it? Seems like the lashing out is not from SlowFuse's end. He seems to simply say he likes the P250.

I've got no experience with either pistol, and probably won't, but rellascout your response seems out of line.

rellascout
May 17, 2011, 10:58 PM
PS I am sorry the P250 is the best Sig ever made. I retract all and any negative statements regarding it.

rellascout
May 17, 2011, 11:11 PM
PS I am sorry the P250 is the best Sig ever made. I retract all and any negative statements regarding it.

Storm
May 18, 2011, 08:46 AM
I love the hidden comments like take the time to actually shoot the gun and master it....

Hidden comment? Nothing hidden about it. In fact, you basically quoted it.

DAO pistols can take some work to master. Some I have done very well with over the years matching and at times exceeding the performance of my DA/SA, SA, striker, DAK, LEM, etc. triggered pistols. At other times DAO pistols have not worked for me, cases in point being the Kel P11 and Beretta Mini Cougar. Even with traditional DA/SA triggers I have had pistols like the Beretta 92 that didn't work for me, but, I took the time to try and work with the guns before dismissing them. I don't expect to pick a gun up out of a box and shoot one ragged hole at 25 yards. Quite frankly, for me, but for the challenge of attempting to master new kinds of weapons, including triggers, shooting might very well become somewhat boring.

And yes, it may be the most "un SIG like" Sig ever made, but so what? I well recall similar criticisms of the SIGPro and the sneering in the gun community back in the 80's over the stamped and pinned slides that so many now covet.

SlowFuse
May 28, 2011, 11:42 AM
Well said Storm.

And no, my post wasnt edited.

simon_rook
June 9, 2011, 10:02 AM
I picked up a NIB 2022 last week at the local shop. I ran 100 rounds through it before it even made it home. (I know , I know). Brought it home cleaned and lubed it, went out the next day and put 400 more through it. 115 gr federal fmj from wally world. Following day 150 hp, mixed HST, Golden Saber and Winchester supreme whatever they call it. Then hand loads, Rainier 124 gr hp, Berrys FNHB and XTP 90 grains, bottom line this thing eats whatever I feed it.

No FTF / FTE, no jams no problems accurate as can be. I also would like to mention it's the newest revision. All Exeter, frame, slide, I think the mag might have been German , the witness holes were like a Glock.

Great gun I wouldn't trade it for anything.

rbernie
June 9, 2011, 01:46 PM
How can I tell a German-made SP2022 from an Exeter-made unit?

rellascout
June 9, 2011, 03:47 PM
How can I tell a German-made SP2022 from an Exeter-made unit?

Triple serial numbers and the internal extractor. The current US production have an external extractor. They will also have German proof marks. There are some triple serial numbered guns without the proofs. IIRC they were assembled here. The other feature that a German gun has is the Iffalon finish which is a darker and shinnier finish than Nitron.

rbernie
June 9, 2011, 04:22 PM
OK - mine has an external extractor. It also has a DE stamp on the left side of the barrel hood, which is moderately confusing. :)

rellascout
June 9, 2011, 04:33 PM
How does it shoot?

BP Hunter
June 9, 2011, 05:35 PM
I would go for the 250 anyday. I have owned both the 250 and 2022. I traded in the 2022 for another firearm the day after I bought it. The trigger is way too heavy for me in DA. It was a well built handgun and very accurate. But unless you like loooong heavy trigger pulls then go for the 2022.

rellascout
June 9, 2011, 05:53 PM
I would go for the 250 anyday. I have owned both the 250 and 2022. I traded in the 2022 for another firearm the day after I bought it. The trigger is way too heavy for me in DA. It was a well built handgun and very accurate. But unless you like loooong heavy trigger pulls then go for the 2022.

The same could be said of the P250. Its DAO pull is longer than the SP2022 and has a much longer reset.

Cards81fan
June 9, 2011, 06:10 PM
I'm reading this, and still not deterred from picking up the '2sum' in 9mm for $400 shipped on gunbroker. That just seems like a heck of a setup for the money, even with reports of a sub-par trigger. I can't imagine it being much of an issue considering I shoot an LCP and a Rossi .357.

I certainly would not expect it to be up there with my Colt 1911, but maybe on par with my stock XD. The P250 is rated t about half the pull weight of the DA pull on the SP2022.

rbernie
June 9, 2011, 06:31 PM
How does it shoot?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=596484

So far - no issues, all joy. :)

Considering the price (there's not much to be had for less money, save the P95 or the Taurus offerings), I'm pretty pleased with the potential value. Time will tell if the pistol lives up to that potential.

WinThePennant
July 9, 2011, 01:34 AM
I own a P250, and I love it.

The trigger pull is long when compared to SA trigger pulls found on other Sigs and 1911 models.

When you approach the gun in the way it was intended, then it's a whole lot easier to appreciate why the gun does what it does.

The P250 was clearly designed to be a defense gun. The DAO long pull is designed that way because it's safer. I will say that the pull is smooth as glass, and very consistent.

I am very seriously considering purchasing a second P250. The gun's modular qualities are WAY AHEAD of its time.

cwp3420
July 9, 2011, 03:42 AM
The P250 is a turd extraordinaire. Do a Google search on TSA contracting with Sig do deliver P250s to the U.S. Air Marshals. The P250 pistols were so error prone that the Air

Marshals had to pull them out of the field right after issuing them and reissue the Air Marshals old P239 pistols. TSA canceled the Sig contract over it and Sig filed a complaint

with the Fed. Govt. over it. AFT was looking for a new pistol and tried the S&W M&P pistol and the P250. In testing, the P250 was an absolute failure. However, Sig America

appealed the ruling, and actually put in writing in the response that "quality of the weapon and functioning of the weapon for law enforcement usage" should not be considered

critical items. They said one major factor should be how well it fits the agents hands, not whether the pistol may or may not work if needed. As for TSA, they still have

warehouses full of new P250 pistols that Sig refuses to take back and TSA refuses to issue their agents because it's a turd. I would buy the P2022 much more than the P250.

That's why you're seeing P250 pistols being sold at fire prices. Sig just wants to get rid of them. All of the above information can be found easily doing a Google search on the

P250 turd! And the driving force behind the P250 was the ex-president of Kimber who drove them into the ground and then took over at Sig America. The P250 was his idea,

and it turned into an ideal turd. Live and learn. However, I would still carry a P226, a P229, or a P220 in a heartbeat. Couldn't give me 100 P250s, cause I'd have to take the

time to bury them so none of my friends saw one and wanted one.

WinThePennant
July 9, 2011, 11:48 AM
And, everything cwp3420 is saying is 100% true -- OF THE GEN 1 P250's.

The Gen 2 P250 is a great gun at a give away price. Smart shoppers look for things like this. The Gen 1 P250 had problems, but those are now fixed with the new version. But, the gun's bad reputation still lingers and allows for people to get a new Sig for $370.

The problems with the gun are a thing of the past -- I know, I've got one (Gen 2 P250). It's one of my all-time favorite guns. That's coming from someone who's owned quite a few guns. The gun's modular design is way ahead of its time.

This is one of those times when you should listen to someone who has put in hours of range time with a P250 instead of listening to people who rehash old history and have never shot one.

The ONLY thing that people don't like about the Gen 2 P250 is the long trigger pull. It's DAO. Personally, I think the trigger pull is fine. It's long, but smooth as glass. You have to put time in at the range, but that's the fun part.

rellascout
July 9, 2011, 12:48 PM
And, everything cwp3420 is saying is 100% true -- OF THE GEN 1 P250's.

The Gen 2 P250 is a great gun at a give away price. Smart shoppers look for things like this. The Gen 1 P250 had problems, but those are now fixed with the new version. But, the gun's bad reputation still lingers and allows for people to get a new Sig for $370.

The problems with the gun are a thing of the past -- I know, I've got one (Gen 2 P250). It's one of my all-time favorite guns. That's coming from someone who's owned quite a few guns. The gun's modular design is way ahead of its time.

This is one of those times when you should listen to someone who has put in hours of range time with a P250 instead of listening to people who rehash old history and have never shot one.

The ONLY thing that people don't like about the Gen 2 P250 is the long trigger pull. It's DAO. Personally, I think the trigger pull is fine. It's long, but smooth as glass. You have to put time in at the range, but that's the fun part.

Sorry but many of the people commenting on the P250 have owned and or shot both versions. I owned a Gen 1 and have looked at and shot the Gen 2. The BATF trials were with a Gen 2 gun yet is had more shooter and gun induced failures than anyone else in the trials.

Objective facts contradict your assertions. The reality is that the P250 is an avg gun at a avg gun price. If it was better it would still be selling at over $550. If they could get $500 it would sell for that. The reality is that they cannot. People will pay more for a Glock, XD or M&P because the Sig is simply not as good.

The modularity is a great idea. I would be interesting if the costs made sense. As it stands now it simply costs too much and they know it. Sig stopped hyping it long ago. Why pay $700 for a grip size and caliber change when you can buy 2 pistols for $50 to $75 more?

You have one and you like it. That is great. Enjoy it just don't make it more than it is. For my money the SP2022 is the better gun. It suits my purposes better than the P250. It cost me a little more than the current stripped down P250. 3 Mags night sights and German manufacturing and assembly. Smart shoppers who look for bargains jumped on the SP2022 long ago. If you know your Sig history the Sig Pro line was the original polymer Red headed step child of the Sig. The SP2022 did not really catch on until the French adopted it and renamed it. In the end the P250 may take the same route but IMHO I doubt it.

Storm
July 9, 2011, 03:29 PM
Is the 2022 both German made and Exeter made?

BTW, I picked up a 2022 recently and have put a couple hundred rounds through it. While I have a much higher opinion of the 250 than some folks to me the 2022 is going to be the better choice for most.

Rellascout is 100% correct that the current pricing pretty much negates the economic advantages of the modular system.

rellascout
July 9, 2011, 03:47 PM
Current SP2022s are made in Exeter with external extractors.

Older ones with internal extractors are German made. They also have triple serial numbers.

dmstang67
July 9, 2011, 04:40 PM
i have an sp2022 in 9mm & while i cannot speak for the p250 the sigpro is a great pistol with one,if not the best,trigger pulls i have ever shot.smooth as glass,no misfeeds etc.1st sig for me & now it won't be the last.just my experience.

Blade37db
July 9, 2011, 06:06 PM
I bought a 250 SC 2 weeks ago. It replaced a Kahr CW that I couldn't get to work right.
I always wanted a SIG, but they were always too big and too expensive. I have 2 G19s that I love but wanted something a little smaller to carry (it is heavier than the G19). I loved that it was full ambi and had the ability to switch calibers. I liked that it was DAO with no safeties or internal locks. The grip felt right. I got it for $369 (mfg date 4/11).
Now, my EDC has always been a revolver. I have to disagree with those that say the 250 trigger pull is like a revolver. Yes, it's light and even but it is by far longer than any revolver I have ever shot. No ability to stack either becuase the pull is so even. And the reset is nowhere as strong as it could be. I have fed a little over 200 rounds (CCI and Gold Dot +P) through it without a hiccup. I'm just not sure if I can live with the trigger pull. I'm on the fence about going back and reconsidering the G26 or the M&Pc.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Ancient Woodsman
July 9, 2011, 07:09 PM
OP, don't get too hung up on the tool...look at the task, and pick the best tool for you to perform that task. I've written government specifications for handguns and conducted T&E for same. As far as detractors on the 2022 and 250 go - based solely on the idea that some government agency didn't like that particular firearm - well, government firearms purchasing nowdays is primarilly politics and low bid, with politics coming first. The ATF, for instance, knows far more about smuggling illegal guns in to foreign countries that it will ever know about purchasing firearms. And the TSA? You want to base your firearms decisions on an agency that thinks it is o.k. to strip search an elderly lady and remove her adult diapers...and all that is o.k with them? Well, if so, suit yourself.

Would I buy a 2022? No, but that's just me. France bought something like 250K of them in the largest ever purchase of handguns since WWII and are seemingly perfectly happy. Would I buy a 250? Yes, but again, that's just me.

Some guys will also tell you not to buy a M9 because they saw Jet Li take one apart in a movie while it was in the other guy's hand. Be careful of the 'I once read', 'my friend had...', or 'I once saw' crowd, and either do the testing yourself or discuss such matters with those who have.

I've dealt with the 250 since it was a prototype, and will be the first to admit is no classic-frame SIG, but then again it is unlike any other handgun out there, too. No, I don't work for them or have any interest in the company. Yes, I am a factory trained armorer.

It's a decent gun for the money. http://gunnuts.net/2011/07/06/sig-sauer-p250-5000-rounds-later/ And that guy shoots more in a week than most do in a year.

But, it's no competition gun, either.

Will it do what you want it to do? Only you can answer that. It might be the gun for you, and if so the 2-sum is a heck of a deal.

WinThePennant
July 9, 2011, 07:23 PM
I will agree that the SP2022 will be preferred by most people over the P250.

I love the P250. I plan on getting a few extra grips, and Dura-Coating them in different colors. I plan on getting each caliber in the full-size, and a subcompact in 9mm.

I am loving the fun I am going to have with this gun!

And, by the way, it's going to be my carry gun (when I get my permit), and my nightstand gun.

As far as reliability, I can only tell you what I've done so far. I've shot all kinds of different ammo through it (FMJ and hollowpoint), and have tried to make it fail by limp-wristing it. No failures so far. I thought about shooting it upside down, but I figured the range officer would get mad. :)

I totally get why some people might not like the P250. And, I totally get why people might be leery of it based on the tests conducted by the Feds. But, I find it to be an incredibly accurate, reliable, and terribly fun gun filled with all kinds of potential. It's a tinkerer's gun, and that's why it's for me.

Jbabbler
July 9, 2011, 07:39 PM
My only two sigs are the 2022 and a 229. I like them both but the 2022 is by far my favorite of the two. The trigger is amazing. The 2022 may be my favorite "service sized" handgun. Not sure why it isn't more popular :dunno:
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc81/jbabbler/Sig/20221.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc81/jbabbler/Sig/229-satin1.jpg

rbernie
July 9, 2011, 09:20 PM
The BATF trials were with a Gen 2 gun yet is had more shooter and gun induced failures than anyone else in the trials.My understanding is that the trials resulted in Sig making several updates to the pistol - dunno if those updates were considered Gen 2 or were made to Gen 2 pistols. The current shipping versions seem to be performing well for most folk, although that doesn't much help those that bought into the earlier versions.

Horvath819
July 9, 2011, 09:25 PM
I had a Sig Sauer SP2022 for a little while. It was a great gun and I liked it a lot. Never jammed once the entire time I had it and was very accurate. Only got rid of it because I had too many 9mm handguns and wanted a .45

HammerheadSSN663
July 10, 2011, 03:10 AM
Today I bought a P250 9mm subcompact to go with my 229. Im consolidating all my differenct types of ammo. Getting rid of the .38s/357s. Too many guns, too many different ammos around the house.

The sig subcompact hold 13 rounds, fits either in the small of my back or up front (mexican style) for concealed carry. Personally, i think Sig should have shortened the barrel by another 1/2" ....but hey.

The ONLY reason why I bought the 250 subcompact was for concealed.

BTW, I hate Glocks and the other possible concealed carrys are just too small and would be BRUTAL on my hands with +P ammo.

the 250 was the best compromise.

Blade37db
July 10, 2011, 12:44 PM
Can't fault the choice. Lots of great features for the price and I think the more recent ones are considered 2nd gen after they worked the bugs out. I'd be interested to see what your opinion is on the trigger pull once you've taken it out. Enjoy!

HammerheadSSN663
July 10, 2011, 02:29 PM
Despite what the speculators vs. actual owners are saying on this thread, there is absolutely NO problem with the length of trigger pull. Its 10x better than my SW J'Frame as far as smoothnes and length. I think the SW is up there in the area of 9-10lbs and a little gritty but the Sig is somewhere between 5-6 pounds according to the manual and butter smooth.

The only thing I possibly dont like is the top vs. bottom weight ratio being that the slide is still the same Sig metal and the bottom is the plastic so it makes it feel a 'little' top heavy but that is nitpicking.

I would bet that 99.9% of people are going to release ANY trigger 100% vs. using the SRT method in a real life situation. Too many folks live in a fantasy land of thinking they are gonna stand there in the proper Myoob Asad defensive prone position and SRT 6 bad guys one right after another....seriously doubt it.

The subcompact size for concealed carry, the amount of rounds 13, and the smoootthhhh double action trigger in 9mm +P Ranger T-Series is a handsdown winner for me.

Jbabbler
July 11, 2011, 10:13 AM
My understanding is that the trials resulted in Sig making several updates to the pistol - dunno if those updates were considered Gen 2 or were made to Gen 2 pistols. The current shipping versions seem to be performing well for most folk, although that doesn't much help those that bought into the earlier versions.
It also sucks for the ones that paid 1.5x the current price for the earlier models. A local shop has some listed at $350. This same shop was chosen to liquidate the inventory of a bankrupt shop. They had early versions of the gun for $500. So now they have two of the same guns sitting on the shelf for two different prices.

If you enjoyed reading about "Talk me into (or out of) a Sig P250 or SP2022?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!