Sig Sauer P6 finish question

PDA

g.a.stahle
May 16, 2011, 11:59 AM
I bought a SIg Sauer P6 in January. It's a German police trade-in and it had significant holster wear. The finish shows bare metal in a few places and lately I've noticed a bit of surface rust showing up on it. I can get it of if I rub at it, but it shows up again in a couple of weeks. Is there anything I can buy to refinish the slide on this thing?

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig Sauer P6 finish question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GZOh
May 16, 2011, 12:11 PM
Have had several P6s refinished by CUSTOMIZED CREATIONS...
They do a great job on SIGs and have good prices, give 'em a call.
They can make an 'old' P6 look NEW!!
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq112/geezeepix/P6-L-1.jpg

rellascout
May 16, 2011, 12:24 PM
Almost anyone can do a nice spray and bake on P6. Customized creations seems to have a good rep. Better than CCR IMHO.

g.a.stahle
May 16, 2011, 12:27 PM
Spray and bake was what I had in mind. I don't believe in paying someone to do something that I'm perfectly capable of doing. Any suggestions on what to use?

mgmorden
May 16, 2011, 04:20 PM
Duracoat is always a good choice. Just get a cheapy single action airbrush to apply it (go as cheap as possible - $10-12 from Big Lots will work - my experience is that it's going to gum it up bad enough that you won't get to use it again, so don't put it through a nicer brush even if you have one).

Make sure to use the ones you actually bake on. I attempted to use one of the ones that claimed you could just spray on and let dry once and was thoroughly unimpressed. It was chipping off within a month or two.

May 16, 2011, 08:24 PM
Spray and bake was what I had in mind. I don't believe in paying someone to do something that I'm perfectly capable of doing. Any suggestions on what to use?

For DIY I'd suggest GUN-KOTE 2400 or Cerakote. Both are available from Brownells. Cerakote is supposed to be superior to GUN-KOTE because it's a ceramer coating and it can be applied to a variety of different finishes. I've painted lots of firearms parts with GUN-KOTE and it's good stuff. I use an airbrush to apply it and then bake the parts at 325F for a couple of hours.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41610/Product/GUN_KOTE_trade__OVEN_CURE__GUN_FINISH

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26563/Product/CERAKOTE_OVENCURE_CERAMIC_COATINGS

rcmodel
May 17, 2011, 02:45 PM
I can get it of if I rub at it, but it shows up again in a couple of weeks.If refinishing it is not in the cards right now?

Buy a can of Johnson's Paste Floor Wax at the grocery store and wax the snot out of the slide.

See this about that:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=4110525&postcount=7

rc

Cards81fan
May 17, 2011, 02:56 PM
I like the look and feel of Cerakote over Duracoat on those I have seen in person. It just seemed to have baked to a harder, more solid coating while the Duracoat appeared like a heavy duty spray paint. Kind of like comparing a nice and properly-cured Line-X truck bed coating to the cheap Rustoleum do-it-yourself kits.

But that is my superficial observation. No technical facts or other support behind it.

evan price
May 18, 2011, 12:59 AM
One of my P6's was significantly surface worn due to being in a holster. I cleaned and scrubbed with 0000 steel wool then degreased with isopropyl alcohol and then I baked the slide in the oven for half an hour at 250 degrees. Then I applied Brownell's Oxhpho-Blue and let it sizzle. Did this twice. After the second aplication I sprayed the slide with some motor oil and rubbed it in with an old cloth. Let it cool, wiped off excess oil, and it looked good and no more rusting. Plus, it doesn't look like Ceramacoat or Duracoat, it looks factory.

Cards81fan
May 18, 2011, 12:03 PM
Evan,

I am interested in that process. Do you have any before and after pics, or at least after pics?

stand watie
May 20, 2011, 09:50 AM
to all,

as i said on another forum, i'm "cheap" & i've fixed several "working guns" with BBQ PIT paint.
(a 7.oo can will do 3-4 long guns or several pistols & comes in "satin", "high gloss" & flat black.)

once cured, you will have trouble getting it off with sandpaper. - use at least two THIN coats, with 48 hours between coats.

look for this "special paint" at home improvement stores in the "BBQ department".

yours, sw

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig Sauer P6 finish question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!