Speer NOT for Law Enforcement 9mm ammo

PDA

351 WINCHESTER
May 16, 2011, 09:32 PM
I found some Speer 9mm 124 gold dot ammo that clearly states on the box "Not for Law Enforcement."

That kinda scares me thinking it may be "defective".

What say's THR?

If you enjoyed reading about "Speer NOT for Law Enforcement 9mm ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
snatale42
May 16, 2011, 09:50 PM
I found some Speer 9mm 124 gold dot ammo that clearly states on the box "Not for Law Enforcement."

That kinda scares me thinking it may be "defective".

Thats screwey, I just pulled out a box of the exact ammo and it doesn't say that but on the side says "Gold Dot is designed for optimum expansion and penetration to meet the strict standards for law enforcement". Way to be consistent SPEER!!!

9mmepiphany
May 16, 2011, 10:52 PM
I know exactly what you are talking about. They were part of a LE contract were they didn't meet specs

It was being sold by wholesalers like ammoman loose in bulk boxes. There is nothing functionally wrong with the ammo...and I'd like top find more at the prices they were going for. My understanding is that the shortcoming was cosmetic, everyone I know who bought some found it worked great.

I hope the seller isn't trying to sell it an the same price as their premium ammo

wally
May 16, 2011, 11:08 PM
I've shot lots of it in 9mm and .40S&W that Ammoman was selling, in a variety of pistols worked great. I couldn't see anything wrong with it.

DoubleTapDrew
May 16, 2011, 11:09 PM
It's my understanding that the same thing occurs with rifle ammo like 5.56. The military or LE pulls a number of rounds from eash lot for samples and if any of them fail to meet their strict protocols the whole lot gets rejected and dumped on the market.
I've never had a single problem with any of these "rejects".

shadowalker
May 16, 2011, 11:26 PM
It isn't unsafe but the label means that it's not up to the usual standard for law enforcement / personal defense and Speer doesn't want to be sued if it doesn't work.

It's fine for practice and having extra ammo on hand but I'd skip it for daily carry ammo.

tangomike706
May 16, 2011, 11:30 PM
ive got about 500 rounds of this stuff . I had nearly 850 rounds of it at one point. the 350 that I shot , went downrange without incident . like everyone said, this might be LEO contract ammo that was rejected for cosmetic or slight performance deviations. nothing to worry about .

If you enjoyed reading about "Speer NOT for Law Enforcement 9mm ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!