Jammed slide on Browning Hi-Power

PDA

carbuff757
May 17, 2011, 01:41 AM
I was getting ready to go shooting recently and I was unloading my BHP for transport. I emptied the magazine and I don't remember the exact sequence but I believe I had the magazine in so that I could pull the trigger releasing the hammer. I may have had the trigger pulled in when the slide returned to its closed position. Now I cannot jack the slide (with or without the mag) anymore than about halfway between its starting point and the slide lock. This means that I can't disassemble the gun to see if there is something out of place. I have not disassembled the gun in quite some time so I don't think the recoil spring is upside down, and if so, how the hell do I get the slide off?

I've had some automatics jam on me plenty of times while firing, but I've never had a case quite like this and I am scared I'm going to damage the gun if I don't get this slide released properly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

If you enjoyed reading about "Jammed slide on Browning Hi-Power" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MarkDozier
May 17, 2011, 06:31 AM
try this tip:
wood dowel a bit smaller then the bore. Slide dowel in and tap slide back. Just don't pound on it if it dies not go back.

Hk Dan
May 17, 2011, 09:01 AM
Or use the old Russian plan, as taught to me by Rob Pincus. Hold the slide firmly in the weak hand--death grip city here. With the strong hand, we are going to strike the back of the grip and grab it as your hand makes contact. Repeat until the slide is freed, I've not seen it take 3 strikes.

Dan

FIVETWOSEVEN
May 17, 2011, 03:09 PM
I just pulled out my Hi Power and I'm trying to see what could be stopping it. Does it stop when the slide touches the hammer?

wow6599
May 17, 2011, 03:16 PM
Using a recoil buffer?

the_skunk
May 17, 2011, 03:27 PM
Call the browning service dept and talk the a HP service tech

KodiakBeer
May 17, 2011, 03:58 PM
Another reason to keep your finger off the trigger!

FIVETWOSEVEN
May 17, 2011, 04:38 PM
Now that I think about it, once I jammed up the slide because I dropped the hammer without the firing pin retaining plate in and it jammed till I hit it hard enough to recock the hammer. Could be the hammer is too wide or the "channel" where the firing pin is, is too narrow.

Pulling the trigger while releasing the slide is just like firing the gun and having follow through.

If you enjoyed reading about "Jammed slide on Browning Hi-Power" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!