New 9mm

PDA

robctwo
January 14, 2004, 02:17 AM
My buddy just bought the Lee load master press. We've been working on 9mm to start. Got some Ranier bullets, 115 & 124. Started at the low end of powder. Went to the range last weekend. Over all a good deal. My BHP with the Bar Sto bbl would not feed the 124 gr flat points. It did great on the 115 gr round nose. My new Sig P226 Sport Stock ate both real well. We both have CZs, 75BD & 85B. They ate both, and my Glock 34 did real well also. We had a few problems. Some failures to eject, probably due to the light loads. We also had two rounds that had primers only, and bullets lodged in both bbls. We didn't have a dowel with us, but they cleared fine at home.

I was very happy with the accuracy. Groups were good for me, better than Win White Box. We did a chrono on the rounds and found the average for the 124 gr was around 940. The 115 around 965, consistent with what was posted on the Ranier site.

My friend also loaded some .38 spcl. I'm not sure what the info on those was. We are planning to move to the .40 and the .380. I've been buying dies and bullets. I'm also going to load some .243 and .308. We're trying to load once per week. He's been sneaking in a few more sessions since the stuff is at his house.

I seem to have read somewhere that lighter loads with heavier bullets resulted in higher point of impact. That was what I experienced for sure.

Rob

If you enjoyed reading about "New 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
January 14, 2004, 10:03 AM
Glad you are having fun.
Now you need to work on your quality control. Two rounds without powder is two too many. You should LOOK in the case, EVERY case, as you place the bullet for seating.
I would increase those 9mm loads to standard velocity of about 1050 for the 124s and 1150 for the 115s for reliable function.

Ala Dan
January 14, 2004, 12:02 PM
Um, lets see? A SIG P226 Sport~

Good choice in weaponary!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

robctwo
January 15, 2004, 02:48 AM
Yes it is.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "New 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!