Do Other Than Honorable discharges result in loss of firearms Rights?

PDA

c-bag
January 14, 2004, 02:29 AM
I was wondering how different grades of discharges affect firearm ownership. I know Honorable = Good and Dishonorable is basicly equivlent to a felony conviction but I'm hazey on the other grades I hear mentioned like Bad Conduct, O.T.H., General, ect.

BTW I'm not and have never been in the military, I'm just curious; Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Do Other Than Honorable discharges result in loss of firearms Rights?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bill Hook
January 14, 2004, 02:35 AM
I think dishonorable is the only one that matters. General or medical certainly don't disqualify you.

Jim March
January 14, 2004, 02:43 AM
My understanding in passing is that only a full-tilt "dishonorable" (with that word used) really screws you.

The various "other than honorable" grades usually refer to cases where somebody just ain't wired correctly for military life; that says damned little about how well they can cope in the real world. (Even in wartime draft situations, there's some people that just don't pan out during basic.)

gunsmith
January 14, 2004, 05:57 AM
with an "other then honorable" for a "serious crime"
who got his security carry permit no problemo.
he was a 17 yr old kid with a pregnant girfriend who told him he would never see his kid if he didn't stay with her.
hows that for "serious crime" and other then "honorable?"
he is 45yrs old now and kinda bitter

Leatherneck
January 14, 2004, 08:47 AM
he is 45yrs old now and kinda bitter Why doesn't he apply to the board for correction of records?

TC
TFL Survivor

Kharn
January 14, 2004, 08:54 AM
Dishonorable is the only one that screws you with regards to guns.
But the others might have some effect on your job search.

Kharn

Zach S
January 14, 2004, 09:40 AM
I never really thought about it untill My Uncle got a medical discharge shortly after basic. Before he got his discharge he was AWOL for a week or two.

He later went to work for DOC and got a Maverick Model 88, which has since been sold. I think he got himself a Colt 1991 after he moved to the midwest, but I'm not sure.

So I'd guess that dishonorable is the only one that screws ya.

geekWithA.45
January 14, 2004, 10:18 AM
A giant teddy bear of a man who simply washed out of basic.

He flunked the first physical performance test (or whatever they call it) and went into the "do excercises all day long track" (Yikes!).

At the end of it, he _still_ couldn't pass the physical performance test, despite trying his guts out.

IIRC, the medicaled him out, and there's no ill effect on his civilian life.

JimP
January 14, 2004, 07:40 PM
Need to look at the underlying misconduct. You can only get a Bad Conduct Discharge or a Dishonorable Discharge if you are convicted at Courts-Martial. Administrative discharges include: Honorable; Under Honorable Conditions (General); and Other than Honorable. You could be convicted of a misdemeanor under Lautenburg and opt to be discharged in lieu of Courts-Martial (Chapter 10) and receive and under other than honorable conditions discharge (OTH) and you're screwed. Bottom line, it isn't necessarily the coding on your DD214, it is the underlying conduct for which you were tossed. There are many states that consider certain things Felonies that the Military really doesn't give too much emphasis.

Can always apply to the Army Discharge Review Board or the Board for Correction of Military Records. Not great odds at getting an upgrade but worth the shot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do Other Than Honorable discharges result in loss of firearms Rights?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!