22 blanks from the hardware store

PDA

25cschaefer
May 18, 2011, 11:37 PM
We recently added a bathroom to our basement and used a 22 nailer to attach the plate to the floor, I was wondering if it would be okay to fire them out of a 22LR rifle or pistol. The case seems to be necked down but it is just a blank.

If you enjoyed reading about "22 blanks from the hardware store" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kingcheese
May 18, 2011, 11:40 PM
do not fire them out of a firearm, they are stronger then what your typical blank would be, they are dirty, powerful, and not meant to be shot through a gun

think about it, the blank catrige will drive a nail through concreat, sometimes even the head can go in, not something you really want to play around with

effengee
May 18, 2011, 11:45 PM
but why would you want to?
Shooting blanks from a .22 is like drinking non-alcoholic beer...

@kingcheese, I do believe the nail gun loads have LESS powder than a standard .22lr.
I'm also pretty sure that blank loads usually don't have enough power to cycle a semi-automatic action and almost every one uses corrosive powder.

Carl N. Brown
May 18, 2011, 11:45 PM
I think the power tool blanks may be hard on a gun barrel--more erosive than purpose-made .22 starter blanks.

45Fan
May 19, 2011, 12:05 AM
Once when I was maybe 7 or 8, I asked my dad that same question, and he answered the question by chambering one in his .22 PPK. It did go bang, but if I remember correctly, it did not cycle the action enough to eject the round. Besides the fact that they dont shoot a bullet, they are more expensive than regular .22 ammo too. As far as corrosivness, I cant say, but I imagine it could be true. If you just want to make noise, but some firecrackers.
Just because it fits doesn't always mean you should try it.

jbkebert
May 19, 2011, 12:12 AM
I take it many folks don't use ram-set nailers to often.

They are way more powerful than a .22 blank. I use #4 loads to shoot wooden members into I beams #2 loads for driving a nail through 2x material into concrete. A #4 load will sink a 3" nail to the hilt in 50+ year old concrete. So what about this makes someone think they are punny????

DO NOT PUT ONE OF THESE IN YOUR GUN>>>

Dr.Rob
May 19, 2011, 12:13 AM
I've used those in a hammer-fired Hiltie gun, they come in a variety of color coded powder charges.

I would NOT use them in a firearm.

effengee
May 19, 2011, 12:39 AM
I own two of them and I'm pretty sure that even the hottest nail gun loads are still less than a regular .22 lr as all the nailers I've ever used fire a Remington or Federal .22 short that's been crimped. Most nailers now operate an internal hammer head piston between the cartridge and the nail rather than directly firing the nail which needs even less powder for reduced noise and smoke.

Just like any other tool, they're perfectly safe so long as you know how to use them safely.

CraigC
May 19, 2011, 01:03 AM
They work. Doesn't really matter how much powder they have in them. Without a projectile, pressure will be negligible. They're semi-useful for scaring skunks out of your cat food.

GaryM
May 19, 2011, 01:25 AM
And if you attach a golf ball launcher on your AR15 and load one of these in your ciener conversion it will not send a golfball anywhere near as far as a milspec .223 miles gear training blank.

Jeff F
May 19, 2011, 01:47 AM
A .22 caliber air rifle pellet in front of a yellow power load out of a bolt action .22 will flat kill a crow at 20 yards. Did it many years ago just because. One of the stupid things kids will do.

medalguy
May 19, 2011, 01:53 AM
And Gary how would you know this? :scrutiny: :eek:

achildofthesky
May 19, 2011, 02:08 AM
The work great in an adapter (Hammond game getter) for my 45-70. Shoots round or swedged lead balls from "you can follow the ballistic arc or the bullet to the target" to driving a regular lead ball on through a pressure treated 2x8 plank. Just pick the strength... I use the #3's mostly...

http://www3.telus.net/gamegetter/operate1.html

if I was in a tree stand and had a 25-40yd shot or so It would DEFINITELY kill a deer with a #3 or 4 strength power load.

GaryM
May 19, 2011, 01:53 PM
And Gary how would you know this? :scrutiny: :eek:
Well, that's what I was told......

brickeyee
May 19, 2011, 02:35 PM
"I own two of them and I'm pretty sure that even the hottest nail gun loads are still less than a regular .22 lr as all the nailers I've ever used fire a Remington or Federal .22 short that's been crimped. Most nailers now operate an internal hammer head piston between the cartridge and the nail rather than directly firing the nail which needs even less powder for reduced noise and smoke."

That is how they have all operated from the start.

The nail does not seal the bore like a bullet, the piston does.

They may be made by Remington and Federal, but they are NOT just a .22 short.

i mostly use higher caliber Hilti tolls now, but the power level of even the old .22 Remington ones is well above even a .22 LR.

They use different powders and are loaded for their application.
the fact that the piston travel is VERY short should tell you something about how much pressure they are delivering.

clamman
May 19, 2011, 02:56 PM
I just opened a #4 powernail load and there is a good bit of powder in it.

Cop Bob
May 19, 2011, 03:41 PM
They are pretty corrosive... not something I would want to do on a regular basis... and If you try it...... and you probably will.... CLEAN it afterward... then oil it...

If memory serves, the Hilti's are 5mm...

I think that GaryM and JeffF and I went to the same school of "Hey, Hold My Beer and Watch This!" Sometimes being young AND dumb was fun...!

effengee
May 19, 2011, 08:08 PM
From Wikipedia, for what it's worth:
"A powder-actuated tool (often called a "Hilti gun" or a "Ramset gun" after their manufacturing companies) is a nail gun used in construction and manufacturing to join materials to hard substrates such as steel and concrete. Known as "direct fastening", this technology relies on a controlled explosion created by small chemical propellant charge, similar to the process that discharges a firearm.

Powder-actuated tools come in either high velocity or low velocity types. In high velocity tools the propellant acts directly on the fastener. This process is similar to a firearm. Low velocity tools introduce a piston into the chamber. The propellant acts on the piston, which then drives the fastener into the substrate. (The piston is analogous to the bolt of a captive bolt pistol.) A powder-actuated tool is considered to be low velocity if the average test velocity of the fastener does not exceed 492 feet per second. High velocity tools may not be made or sold in the United States, however some made decades ago are still in use in shipbuilding and steel industries."

My dad still has one of the old school Ramset guns with NO piston but he hasn't used it in years...
The nails for it are hard/expensive to find as they have a special rubber or plastic sabot that trapped the expanding gas.

I only use the loads for what they are designed for, wouldn't feel safe prying one open, and was only comparing perceived noise and direct shell comparison as my measure. The nail guns I have now are the piston type and use what looks like nothing more than a crimped .22 short in a plastic clip.

USAF_Vet
June 1, 2011, 06:56 PM
Kinda resurrecting this thread, but is it possible to convert a .22 caliber nail gun to fire .22 ammo?

I read that most people don't recommend firing the nail blanks in a firearm, but what about firing a .22 bullet through a .22 nail gun. Doesn't seem like it would work, or be accurate if it did. Just curious.

Vern Humphrey
June 1, 2011, 07:08 PM
The Hammond Game Getter uses .22 rimfire nail-setting blanks.

The Game Getter uses a special cartridge case, with a steel head and an off-set .22 chamber. To use it, load a buckshot (properly sized) in the mouth of the case and a .22 blank in the chamber. The firing pin of your center-fire rifle fires the blank, which drives the buckshot out the muzzle.

Mine is in .30-06 and shoots about a 1" group at 25 yards, just at the top of the thick section of the lower Dual X crosshair. I've taken several squirrels with it while deer hunting.

You can also get similar devices for hard-to-find rimfire cartridges (like the .32 Long) that use nail-setting blanks in off-set chambers to allow you to fire old, obsolete rifles.

Sam1911
June 1, 2011, 07:29 PM
Kinda resurrecting this thread, but is it possible to convert a .22 caliber nail gun to fire .22 ammo?
Well, if you removed the driving ram that propels the nail (in the low-velocity version), I guess you'd have a clear barrel, but that barrel would be oddly shaped near the chamber (where the ram sat).

Either version would be greatly oversized for the nails and plastic bushings it's supposed to fire (something around .30 cal). And, of course, it would be smoothbore, thus likely creating an unregistered Title II "Any Other Weapon" which is not a very good idea.

So, SURE, but NO.

USAF_Vet
June 1, 2011, 08:45 PM
But if you were to attach a rifled barrel... ? Still Title II or now a home made Title I?

Sam1911
June 1, 2011, 09:09 PM
If it's rifled, then Title I. Unless they happened to think that it looked too much like a piece of construction equipment after the conversion and was thus a firearm disguised to look like something else (a'la cane gun, pen gun, etc.) and so was still a Title II AOW.

Who knows?

19&41
June 1, 2011, 09:10 PM
Somebody should pose this quandry to the Mythbusters.

Frozen North
June 1, 2011, 09:20 PM
I found a couple nailer loads in my garage a few months ago and tried one in a gun. It stuck in the chamber because of the crimp opening up. It came out with a tap from a cleaning rod.

bcp280z
June 2, 2011, 11:16 AM
I attempted one day to turn one into a gun for fun/ the helluva it at the shop one day at work.

Took some vise grips on the barrel since it was the kinda needed to be pressed down to activate, shove nails or bbs in the front. accuracy was dismal but was funt at the time.

Have thought about taking one a part to modify to accept subsonic/low power 22's

never got around to it.

USAF_Vet
June 2, 2011, 01:53 PM
Reason I ask is that I have a broken nail gun. It will still operate, but the rod is gone. I rescued it from the trash bin at work. :D

I also have an old .22 barrel I've been eyeballing for a home made Title I. Due to it's length, I could cut it and have enough barrel for two title I firearms, rifle and pistol.

If I could fix about 4" of old cut off rifled barrel to the breach face of the old busted nail gun, I'd have a single shot .22 pistol I could tweak into a Mad Max target pistol to go along with the .22 Mad Max rifle I'm building.

bcp280z
June 3, 2011, 12:18 AM
Sounds cool, let us know how the project goes, pics n all

double bogey
June 3, 2011, 03:25 PM
A kid I worked wth many years ago shot himself with one. It got dirty, he had a nail in it and couldn't get the blank holder to chamber, so he whacked it with a pair of pliers. even with the open breach, the nail penetrated his thigh, and went out of sight in his calf. Luckily no bones were hit. I think it was a ramset brand. Happened about 1985. Also i remember quite a bit of recoil (way more than .22 bullets in a firearm). So I vote for more powerful than a .22 blank, still don't think you would have a problem with an open bore and no projectile.

USAF_Vet
June 3, 2011, 03:40 PM
the nail penetrated his thigh, and went out of sight in his calf.

Ouch, sounds nasty.
The one I'm using is a Ramset, project to start this weekend. Will supply pics as things progress.

Vern Humphrey
June 3, 2011, 03:59 PM
Ramset blanks come in several flavors -- for working in the barn, nailing boards to a concrete floor, I use the Yellow blanks. In my Hammond Game Getter, I use Brown, the weakest version.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
June 3, 2011, 04:03 PM
I used to have my own construction-building renovation business. I have two of those Remington Nail Guns with the orange plastic handle that you load one nail (with like a blue, finned rubber gasket at the top, just below the head) and you put in a yellow charge, set it firmly against a board to nail it to concrete - whack it good on the head with a hammer and every time, with mine, the nail would barely go into the concrete!

Then, I used it so much, I bought another one, so now I have two. Every time I used them (over 15 years ago, now) - the charge brass case would either get stuck and I would have to drive a sheetrock screw into the base to pull the charge brass out, or the charge brass case would lose its bottom, which would really be a hassle, getting that piece of cylinder-shaped brass out of the chamber!

I think the reason mine act up so much is they are more than likely worn out. I should visit the web site and see if there were any recalls on these things, you never know, they just might send me a couple of new ones!

Hey, I could make a double-barrel!
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/21asvg2LmGL._AA280_.jpg

USAF_Vet
June 3, 2011, 11:44 PM
I have green and yellow cartidges. Without the rod, the blank will dent the crud out of a pop can with just the blast force. I'm still trying to figure out how best to mount the barrel and lock the breath face back against the firing pin guide.

danprkr
June 4, 2011, 05:27 AM
I wouldn't. First they are more powerful that standard 22 and therefor probably unsafe at least to the firearm and possibly to the shooter. And, 2nd get the right tool for the job. If you need blanks for you 22 just go buy some that you know wont hurt your gun or you.

double bogey
June 4, 2011, 11:18 PM
Sorry, i've been out of pocket. The reason I felt the blanks were more powerful: Several years ago while demonstrating fast draw with a ruger single six (3 screw, unmodified) my father in law let the hammer loose while holstering. The bullet penetrated his calf, and lodged a few inches in. went to the hospital, they removed it, he healed just fine. Now when my coworkershot his self with a nail, much heavier than a .22, penetrated thigh completely and into calf. Thank goodness my FIL wasn't using his identical single six in .357. His calf would have been in pretty bad shape.

goste
June 5, 2011, 12:31 AM
I have one at work, like the pic. posted by Friendly don't fire. With the yellow tip ammo. mine will bury a 3" nail in concrete, I sure wouldn't fire it in a firearm...

USAF_Vet
June 5, 2011, 01:01 AM
after some early tests, the nail gun blanks won't fire in my .22, so no harm there. Also, .22LR cartridges are slightly too large to fit into the chamber of the nail gun. So, project is likely going to be scrapped, as I'm losing interest fast.

On a more positive note, apparently Ramset will repair the nail gun for a nominal fee. Much less than what a new one would cost.

Carl N. Brown
June 5, 2011, 07:53 AM
Here's a test: would a .22 rimfire starter pistol blank (as sold in gun shops) work in a nail gun to drive a nail?

Second: is there any fine print on the box of nail gun actuator "blanks" related to use in firearms?

Thirdly, if used as blanks, the explosive force would be dispersed in the air without confinement so the power disparity would be less of an issue in a real gun, except some .22 starter pistols (especially the ones I recall form the 1960s) were really flimsy similar to the infamous RG10 revolver.

My concern is that the nail gun blanks could be hotter (erosive) and possibly more corrosive and damage a rifled barrel.

The most positive gun priming compounds are corrosive and I suspect there is no reason to use more expensive noncorrosive igniter/propellant in a nail gun where the goal would be economy of use in a smoothbore barrel.

CZguy
June 5, 2011, 11:12 AM
My concern is that the nail gun blanks could be hotter (erosive) and possibly more corrosive and damage a rifled barrel.

The most positive gun priming compounds are corrosive and I suspect there is no reason to use more expensive noncorrosive igniter/propellant in a nail gun where the goal would be economy of use in a smoothbore barrel.

That's an interesting thought. I've never cleaned my nail gun....I guess I'll have to look at it sometime.

If you enjoyed reading about "22 blanks from the hardware store" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!