What P7 variant is this?

PDA

trooper
January 14, 2004, 08:24 AM
Hi everybody,

can someone enlighten me about the different HK P7 production runs? I think I dimly recall reading something about different heat shields...

I found this specimen (police trade-in) for 398,- € including spare mag, original box, manual and test target.

How good a deal is this? What could I expect from this gun?

(No, haven't bought it yet, still counting the days til my license arrives :( )

Thanks,

Trooper

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=726303

If you enjoyed reading about "What P7 variant is this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Marko Kloos
January 14, 2004, 08:47 AM
Less than 400 Teuros is a screaming deal on a P7.

What you have there is a plain old P7, with the heel magazine release. That one is probably a refurbished law enforcement model, most likely from the Bundesgrenzschutz. It's a highly desirable gun that would fetch easily 50% more over on this side of the pond.

The P7 is very accurate and reliable, although it does heat up quickly during loing range sessions.

The P7 variations are as follows:

PSP (Polizei-Selbstladepistole), protruding heel-mounted magazine catch

P7, flush-fitting heel-mounted magazine catch

P7M8, American-style ambidextrous magazine release like the USP, plastic heat shield above trigger, elongated trigger guard

P7M13, same as the P7M8, only with double-stack 13-round magazines

P7M10, variant in .40S&W

P7K3, straight blowback variant in .22lfB, 7.62mm Browning, and 9mm Kurz.

MrPink
January 14, 2004, 09:10 AM
Assuming the gun checks out, $400 for a P7 is a GREAT deal.

I've always called the P7 with a heel release a PSP and there were two variations - the original release that protrudes and the 2nd gen that's flush. But I'll defer to the specific history cited by our moderator.

To me, this version of the P7 is the best for carry. Very flat, relatively light and no worries about the mag release of the M8 or M13 catching on something. I've also felt good about the carry safety of the squeeze cocker design - being able to carry a loaded gun that is "fail safe" and requires an additional motion besides pulling the trigger to discharge the gun (this in contrast to the "fail positive" 1911 cocked 'n locked or a DA revolver or auto.

Alas, in recent years my PSP has given way to an S&W 340PD because it is so damn light.

trooper
January 14, 2004, 10:01 AM
Thanks very much for the information, guys.

Is this heat thing really an issue? I usually don't burn ammo very fast, right now it's mostly service pistol bullseye competition. If I ever get into IPSC or similar stuff (which I'm planning) I would need another gun anyway.

BTW the guns in question are definitely BMI-stamped so it can be only Bundesgrenzschutz or Bundeskriminalamt issue. Though I'm not really sure if the BGS ever issued P7's outside the GSG 9...

Regards,

Trooper

MrPink
January 14, 2004, 10:59 AM
Heat's only an issue at the range. The PSP is a bit worse than the M series guns because it lacks a heat shield. If you shoot 50 rounds quick, the gun will get warm where you'd rest your trigger finger. Solution: Shoot a second gun while the other cools down (for the price you got the P7 for, buy a second).

If you ever needed to use it on the street, odds are you wouldn't even have 50 rounds of ammo on you.

Bill Hook
January 14, 2004, 11:50 AM
Odds are, in Germany, he wouldn't have the gun, unless he gets another LEO job.

trooper
January 14, 2004, 12:19 PM
True, no CCW over here unless I prove that I'm considerably more threatened than the general public :(

Therefore it would most likely be a range/home defense gun only.

BTW chances are that I'll get into LE work again this year but I wouldn't be able to carry anything except my duty piece.

Regards,

Trooper

BlkHawk73
January 14, 2004, 09:03 PM
There was also the P7M7 which was chambered in .45ACP - but not commercially produced.
Go to www.hkpro.com and enter the "world of HK link at the top left and you'll be able to see details about each variant.

If you enjoyed reading about "What P7 variant is this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!