I'm considering selling a gun but I have a dilemma

PDA

Jason_W
May 19, 2011, 06:41 PM
I'm heavily invested in the chambering and have a myriad reloading components for it plus a few hundred rounds of both factory and handloaded ammo.

I'd hate to sell the rifle and be stuck with a ton of components and ammo I can no longer use. I'm guessing that selling handloaded ammo is just begging for a lawsuit.

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm considering selling a gun but I have a dilemma" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Heretic
May 19, 2011, 09:19 PM
I have a vast collection of ammo in calibers that I don't have guns for. It's only a matter of time before one turns up.

NavyLCDR
May 19, 2011, 09:35 PM
Sell the ammo with a signed disclaimer informing the buyer that it is hand loaded and that you are not responsible for damage, injury or death resulting from it's use.

Personally, if you looked like a decent guy, and you could tell me the powder and charge that was loaded, I would probably just shoot it. If I wanted to be really careful, I would pull the bullets and re-weigh the charges myself.

Gord
May 20, 2011, 02:32 AM
Give the gun one last hurrah and go expend your handloads in whatever manner is pleasing to you. Sell the factory ammo and reloading components along with the gun.

Easy-peasy?

sonick808
May 20, 2011, 04:30 AM
you'll regret it if you sell it :)

Ole Coot
May 20, 2011, 09:34 AM
I had some reloaded 357 for my Ruger Blackhawk and a neighbor leaving late Sunday night discovered he had no ammo for his cheap, no-name revolver. I wouldn't sell him any and told him mine were loaded to the max and were too much for his revolver. He wanted six anyway, telling him he has been warned and he ruined his revolver on the first shot. I really thought he knew better and now I don't give or sell any reloads to anyone.

youngda9
May 20, 2011, 10:51 AM
Sell the gun and reloading components. Shoot up the ammo first. Sell the brass after shooting.

Chalk it up as a lesson learned for loading up so much ammo for something you're going to part with.

stonecutter2
May 20, 2011, 10:54 AM
If you can't/don't want to shoot the reloads, pull the bullets and save the powder, clean the brass, and include the brass with reloading components when you sell the gun.

longdayjake
May 20, 2011, 11:12 AM
Sell the ammo with a signed disclaimer informing the buyer that it is hand loaded and that you are not responsible for damage, injury or death resulting from it's use.

This won't actually absolve you of anything. The most this will do is deter someone stupid from thinking that they can sue you.

InkEd
May 20, 2011, 11:22 AM
Could you tell us more about the gun in question?

Hardware
May 20, 2011, 12:07 PM
I bought the estate of a handloader. Lots and lots of 38/357 in the bulk lot. Since I don't know what they are loaded I will only be firing them out of a 357, either a stout frame revolver or a lever action. Lower pressure stuff like a 45 acp I'll run in my 1911. But there's no taking a chance that he put a 357 charge in a 38 casing.

Jason_W
May 20, 2011, 05:26 PM
What I'll probably do if I actually decide to sell the gun is sell off the factory stuff and any non hazmat components I have and put my handloads in airtight storage. It's a common round so chances are I'll own something else chambered for it one day.

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm considering selling a gun but I have a dilemma" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!