Surplus ammo

PDA

vega
January 14, 2004, 11:49 AM
I saw an ad for Korean surplus for 30-06. FMJ, non-corrosive and reloadable cases. Are they ok to use in hunting rifle just for practice and fun? It wouldn't hurt the bore would it?

vega

If you enjoyed reading about "Surplus ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
larryw
January 14, 2004, 12:01 PM
Terrible stuff (12-18" groups at 50 yards out of a Garand), but no, it won't hurt your gun. Technically, its reloadable brass, but in reality it isn't (too much variation in cases). And the brass isn't Lake City USGI (http://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=product&ID=405&item=&sfv=&cat=AMS&desc=&udc=&mct=&vndr=&ba=&pmin=&pmax=&note1=&note2=&note3=&note4=&note5=&max=). ;)

Ed
January 14, 2004, 12:22 PM
Larryw: What kind of groups do you usually get? I have shot lots of the Korean and at 100M it avg around 3-4" I have no problem with it and lots of other people don't either. No flame intended, just wondering if you got a REALLY bad lot or if your M! just don't like it.

geojap
January 14, 2004, 12:30 PM
I have some Korean non-corrosive and it shoots fine out of one of my Garands (1-2 MOA). It doesn't shoot so well out of my second Garand but it may be the rifle itself, I haven't tried it with other ammo yet.

This ammo should be fine for shooting in all 30-06 rifles. Make sure you get some non-corrosive ammo. I believe Korean '72 and before is corrosive, 73 and later is not. I don't know if I remember that correctly or not, make sure you check on that.

vega
January 14, 2004, 02:34 PM
Larry - USGI bullets are magnetic. They don't allow that where I shoot.

vega

Sunray
January 14, 2004, 03:15 PM
No, it won't hurt you rifle. It may not shoot worth beans in your rifle though. If it's the corrosive stuff, so what? Just rinse the barrel with boiling water before you clean. No big deal.
"...And the brass isn't Lake City USGI..." Of course not. It's Korean. Your rifle just doesn't like it. In any case, there's no guarantee that LC ammo will shoot well in any given rifle either. The only ammo that does that is carefully hand loaded ammo made specifically for that rifle. Everything else is a compromise. And GI cases are milspec and require reducing the load by 10% and working up to 10% less than the listed max in your manual.

larryw
January 14, 2004, 05:03 PM
Bummer on the magnet test. If you're buying this Korean ammo just to blast away, it will probably be OK, just don't expect any accuracy from it (and what fun is that? ;) ). And I wouldn't buy it with the plan of keeping and reloading the brass. As the only 30-06 surplus thats readily available right now is Korean or LC, you're somewhat stuck (unless you can find the Dutch stuff, which is good).

Thread shift, and vega, this is also steel cored, but for fun blasting ammo (not in your Garand), there's some Russian ammo that's a hoot. Pretty accurate. What's interesting is there's a channel around the case near the head that gets blown flush with the case wall when fired. It's steel cased and laquered, but talk about a fireball and LOUD! :what:

Ed, no flame taken, thats a perfectly reasonable question given your good luck with the ammo (glad to hear it!). The gun in question is solid, shoots everything else, including the LC USGI stuff just fine. It may have been a bad lot, but the thing that really turned me off was how bad the brass was from a weight and case volume standpoint; and I'm guessing that's the root of the problem. Others at my club had and continue to have experiences similar to mine, so I've just written the Korean stuff off.

Sunray, the Lake City comment was in relation to a thread on the Reloading forum where vega was asking about 30-06 brass for his bolt gun and where to get LC. I'm pretty certain he knows the Korean stuff isn't based on LC, but I wanted to make absolutely sure he didn't make the same mistake others have and think that all boxer primed MilSurp 30-06 is based on LC brass.

telewinz
January 14, 2004, 08:21 PM
What else is there besides surplus?:D

Blackcloud6
January 14, 2004, 10:41 PM
Korean Ammo with a PS headstamp and lot number is not corrosive but that with a KA lot and Headstamp is. Be careful as there are some KA stuff being advertised as non-corrosive.

Blackcloud6
January 14, 2004, 10:47 PM
I think the Korean PS ammo is OK. I shot this match with it: http://home.comcast.net/~blackcloud6/bulge_03.html

This is an internet Garand match using the CMP Garand match rules but shooting at a modified Hoppes B-9 target at 50 yards. We use the modified B9 to fit on a scanner and only the 8-9-10 and X rings count.

Paradiddle
January 14, 2004, 10:51 PM
Go to www.ammoman.com and buy the 1991 Danish ammo. Comes in enbloc clips read to go in your Garand.

Very clean, good accuracy, I've heard nothing but great things about this ammo (I have three cases in the garage).

Jeff

vega
January 14, 2004, 11:04 PM
I think I'll just roll my own for this rifle. Now if I want surplus ammo I'll just get myself an SKS or Nagant. But that belongs to another thead. Thanks all. ;)

vega

If you enjoyed reading about "Surplus ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!