Kel-Tec 9mm (PF-11?)

PDA

Rocketmedic
May 20, 2011, 08:29 PM
I'm sizing up a Kel-tec 9mm for my next handgun purchase. I liked holding it more than the Glock 26 and the LCP, and I really liked the trigger- it made a lot of sense for me. How do these little things hold up?

Intended purpose is CCW, probable round count is 1000/year, and the budget is no more than $450.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kel-Tec 9mm (PF-11?)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
psyshack
May 20, 2011, 09:07 PM
I own a PF-9 and like it a lot. P-11 holds more rounds and is the older design and a tad bigger and a much longer trigger pull.

I would like to have a P-40 or get a P-11 and find the .40 barrel or even better the .357 sig conversion.

The small 9mm's have some snap to them in the recoil dept. So get ready to learn body mechanics. :)

wow6599
May 20, 2011, 09:12 PM
Shoot both first. I really like the PF-9 and despise the P-11, all because of their triggers. Worlds apart...............

mongo4567
May 21, 2011, 01:04 AM
I have a PF9 and love it. I had a P11 a long time ago, I liked it fine but just preferred to carry other guns...it it just too wide for me. I chose to not regularly shoot small, light pistols like these. I put the required number through them to know that I can trust them with my life and shoot bigger, heavier guns for fun.

J_McLeod
May 21, 2011, 01:08 AM
I have a Pf-9 and really like it. It's pretty much relegated my XD to a range and OC (which I don't do much) gun. It's not much fun to shoot, but still better than shooting an LCP. It's got a bit of trigger slap, but very manageable. It's so light that I can carry it anywhere and with any clothing. Mine has never been finicky about ammo, and shoots whatever I give it.

shiftyer1
May 21, 2011, 01:45 AM
I have a p 11 and have been happy with it. It's probably not a gun you'll enjoy shooting alot, just because imho it's not a plinker type gun. I generally shoot a mag or 2 or 3 and then switch to something else.

The slide on mine rusts pretty easy but it's just surface rust and a bunch of oil fixes that.
I also have the pocket clip on mine (like the clip on a pocket knife) which makes it easy to grab and stick in your waistband or pocket around the house to answer the door or go out in the yard. It's not as secure as a holster but better than nothing :)

I'd try to find a used one but the new price is reasonable.

snooperman
May 21, 2011, 07:34 AM
without any problems. I have the P-11 that I bought many years ago but rarely carry it since I bought the PF9. The PF9 has a much better trigger and is an excellent carry gun either in the pocket or IWB. This gun ain't pretty but it really gets the job done. It is hard to beat for the money.

Mike J
May 21, 2011, 10:14 AM
Shiftyer if you have some Johnson's paste wax around it works well to protect the slide & keep it from rusting.

I have a P11. It is not my favorite gun but it is the easiest to conceal that I own. I have not shot a PF9 but the P11 has a very long hard Double Action trigger.

Remllez
May 21, 2011, 10:38 AM
You can't go wrong with a PF-9 if you like Kel-Tec pistols. Like others have said they aren't range guns but shooting a couple boxes isn't that bad either. I haven't shot the P-11 don't want to, I've heard about the long heavy triggers for years but many people still buy them. Be sure to buy yourself a grip cover they work great on these little buggers.

marksman13
May 21, 2011, 11:52 AM
I bought a PF-9 on thursday and put 250 rounds through it with only one hiccup, an FTF that turned out to be a hard primer. It's not unpleasant to shoot, but you will feel the recoil. I had no problem putting one mag after another into an 8 inch Shoot-N-See target at 10 yards. This pistol lacks the smooth fit and finish of the Rugers, Glocks, and XDs (it's downright poor finish quality in all honesty), but it is supremely easy to carry and very economical. I got mine new for $250.00. I don't regret the purchase at all and I was really torn between the PF-9 and a Glock 26. I made the right choice for me.

Clark
May 21, 2011, 02:33 PM
I have in the order that Kel-Tec introduced them and I soon bought them:
P11, 9mm double stack, first frame size
P32, 32acp, single stack, mini frame size
P40, 40 S&W slide and barrel that fit on the P11 frame.
P357, 357 Sig barrel that fits a P40 slide
P3AT, 380, single stack, mini frame size
PF9, 9mm, single stack, third frame size, is narrower than a first frame size

I also have:
Ruger LCP, clone of the P3AT [and yet no law suit?] with nice laser
Patriot 45, the estranged brother to the Kel-Tecs.

I carried the P11 for years, but now I only carry the LCP, and PF9.

hardluk1
May 21, 2011, 03:04 PM
I have a pf-9 ,had a p-11 . The p-11 is gone, trigger is the wrost I have ever pulled and i tried to get use to it. The kahr line of pistol have some great triggers and some difference in size and wieght with in the line. Yep glocks are a bit thick But have good triggers and high cap too. Just depends on if you want to carry one.

Storm
May 21, 2011, 03:31 PM
Yup, the P11 trigger is horrible. I try and work with various triggers but gave up on that one. The PF9 is vastly better and I only gave up mine when I went to the PPS.

Hondo 60
May 21, 2011, 06:49 PM
Thanks all for posting.
Now that CCW is on the horizon in WI, I want a small gun to carry.

I've been hemming & hawing over the P11 & Pf9.
The P11 is a bit cheaper & is available at the lgs.
Where as the Pf9 I have to order, & is $30 or so more.
But the posters here have helped me make up my mind.

nuance231
May 22, 2011, 12:53 AM
You might try CDNN for some specials this month on Kel Tec. A wallet Brown PF9 shipped to my FFL for $239 worked for me. Long but smoooth trigger. If you pick one up, head for http://www.ktog.org/ click on Bulletin Board, theres lots o stuff there about Kel Tec products.

gohogs93
May 22, 2011, 01:05 AM
PF 9 is much better in my opinion. For all the reasons already stated (slimmer, better trigger, yada yada yada)

Rocketmedic
May 22, 2011, 02:37 PM
I'm actually looking for the heavier trigger- I don't like light triggers on carry guns. 15 or even 20 pounds is fine, I just like it smooth.

fbernar
May 22, 2011, 03:41 PM
I recently got into firearms as a hobby and also took the CCW class last weekend (waiting for license to arrive). The PF9 was my first purchase and I love it. It is accurate, but be prepared to really feel that recoil and the web of your hand will be sore. I put a Handall Grip, Jr. on it and it really helps.

I then bought a Glock 19 last week and like it as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kel-Tec 9mm (PF-11?)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!