Gun Locks

PDA

SwampWolf
May 20, 2011, 09:02 PM
How many of those padlock type gunlocks that come with so many firearms these days do you have? Does anybody have an idea as to what to use them for if they're not being used to lock up a gun? I know I have a bunch of them sitting in a drawer, just occupying space better used for something useful.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Locks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
May 20, 2011, 09:39 PM
If I were a fisherman, I suppose I'd use them as weights. I just keep them in their original boxes for the sake of resale value.

-eaux-
May 20, 2011, 10:21 PM
i find them very useful to weigh down my trash bags so they don't spontaneously fly out of the trashcan. they're absurd.

bubbacrabb
May 20, 2011, 10:28 PM
I just toss them, I have never cared if they were with a used gun or not. They take up to much space for me. I got plenty of real locks for things I lock. All my guns go into the safe.

radshooter
May 20, 2011, 11:46 PM
I used one a few months ago when I was flying with my pistol. I used the lock to secure the hardside box to the frame of the suitcase.

Nushif
May 21, 2011, 12:00 AM
I have one with a nice little Beretta trident on it. Pretty to look at!

Twiki357
May 21, 2011, 12:07 AM
They work great on the gates to the back yard. Kimber on one side of the house and Ruger on the other. :-)

dmazur
May 21, 2011, 12:20 AM
I really don't like those locks. They are a reminder of something that is absurd, which is trying to solve irresponsible behavior by forcing the manufacturers to provide a lock. Is it realistic to expect that same irresponsible individual to actually use the provided lock?

None of these locks look like they'd survive a good smack with a hammer. In fact, the last 6 I received got busted intentionally before I threw them away.

(I was afraid some dumpster diver would think it was a functional lock and actually use it to secure something. It didn't seem fair to leave it intact.)

AlexanderA
May 21, 2011, 12:22 AM
Just another neat thing to collect. Get one with the logo of each manufacturer! And if you don't have that many guns, the locks are available cheap on ebay.

InkEd
May 21, 2011, 12:36 AM
You can use them on your tool shed or anything else that needs a padlock. You can also tie a bandana around it and carry it when tour not allowed to carry the corresponding gun.

Ironclad
May 21, 2011, 12:45 AM
I don't know why there is so much hatred for these locks. They can be kinda useful for people with kids but without a safe. I used one when my little brother was younger. I didn't figure it was worth buying a safe to house one cheap shotgun, but I didnt want anyone to mess around with my gun and hurt themselves. Including a child safety lock with a gun is a very unobtrusive way to possibly keep people from getting hurt. If it saves one kid, doesnt that make it worth it? After all, you don't have to use it.

General Geoff
May 21, 2011, 01:28 AM
they beat the heck out of requiring internal locks on all firearms, that's for sure

wideym
May 21, 2011, 01:40 AM
I give away the cable locks to kids so they can lock up their bicycles, other than that I really have no use for them as I invest in sturdy gunsafes.

clancy12
May 21, 2011, 02:14 AM
Christmas tree ornaments.

The Lone Haranguer
May 21, 2011, 04:57 AM
I've sent handguns back to the factory for repair and had them returned with new locks, giving me duplicates. :confused:

RichBMW
May 21, 2011, 05:37 AM
I used one with the Ruger logo on my gym locker thinking that someone intent on breaking in would avoid my locker because I'm a gun owner. Then I realized that my locker might become more of a target because the thief would think there was a gun to steal inside.

earlthegoat2
May 21, 2011, 07:21 AM
The last gun I bought I got one and I know I did not throw it away but I dont know where it is. Probably still in my car. Pre lock Smith so at least they were not being redundant.

Lex Luthier
May 21, 2011, 07:41 AM
Some old guys act like they're gold when trying to sell me their used handgun. Like that's going to entice me. They go in the drawer with the other useless accessories.

dmazur
May 21, 2011, 08:03 AM
If it saves one kid, doesnt that make it worth it?

That's "nanny state" thinking. We all get to pay for something of questionable value because someone thought it would save lives and made it law.

Unfortunately, the extension of this logic is mandatory gun safes and police inspections. I believe they have this in Australia.

My objection is that the locks are so cheap they're worthless. A kid with a hammer or a hacksaw would be through one in minutes.

I'm not saying that people should not properly secure firearms, just that the supplied locks are a false sense of security. And possibly do more harm than good, by deluding people into thinking they are effective.

SwampWolf
May 21, 2011, 09:07 AM
Some old guys act like they're gold when trying to sell me their used handgun. Like that's going to entice me. They go in the drawer with the other useless accessories.

Hey, hey! That sounds like me. :o ;)

InkEd
May 21, 2011, 09:26 AM
Yeah, the cable locks are good for bicycles.

M2 Carbine
May 21, 2011, 09:49 AM
I use to give them away to neighbors for gate locks but now I leave them in the box. The last gun I sent in for repair, I think it was a Diamondback, I was told that if the lock wasn't in the box they would send a new one with the gun and charge me for it.

Gun locks....more proof that our country has been taken over by idiots.:rolleyes:

EddieNFL
May 21, 2011, 10:13 AM
I was told that if the lock wasn't in the box they would send a new one with the gun and charge me for it.

Anything not ordered is considered a free gift, per the FTC. So send away and I'll have my CC company reverse the charge.

earlthegoat2
May 21, 2011, 03:11 PM
Gun locks....more proof that our country has been taken over by idiots.

and is helplessly infested by them too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Locks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!