The *largest* handgun for summer / winter CCW?

PDA

Mark-Smith
May 21, 2011, 01:42 AM
Everyone always talks about the most compact available handgun in X caliber or with X feature for CCW - how about something different for a nice change of pace?

What is the *largest* handgun you can comfortably use for CCW in the summer / winter?

The summer in Texas means you aren't going to be wearing a jacket, so that takes what's available down a notch, but with a 3/4 length jacket in the winter, it's possible to (somewhat) comfortably CCW a pair of S&W Model 500's in a shoulder rig. :eek:

So what are your largest CCW summer / winter gun choices?

If you enjoyed reading about "The *largest* handgun for summer / winter CCW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nushif
May 21, 2011, 01:50 AM
Summer Carry ... hrm.

Let's go to winter Carry first!

Winter Carry!

I've managed concealing a 92D quite nicely. Along with a PT911 and anything smaller. So that's some pretty big gunnage. Especially the 92D. Back to Summer Carry ...

Summer Carry...

I've found the biggest thing *I* can conceal is a Beretta 9000S or a Kahr E9. The PT 911 requires some pretty significant shirts that I'm just not willing to deal with in summer. so:

Kahr E9/Beretta 9000S for summer carry.
Beretta 92D or a PT911 for winter carry.

wlewisiii
May 21, 2011, 02:01 AM
My two carry weapons are a 4" S&W Model 64 or a Ruger KP97DC. Neither are small - you learn to do what needs being done.

Snowdog
May 21, 2011, 02:23 AM
I could carry a K9 in the summer in "ThunderWear" without much issue. Not preferred, but I've done it before.

In the cooler months, on many occasions, have carried a full-size 1911 in a simple belt holster if wearing a jacket or coat.

However, I usually carry a P64 in ThunderWear" during the summer months and a Bersa UC9 or Kahr K9 the rest of the time.

Dr_B
May 21, 2011, 02:57 AM
Largest: Sig P226 9mm in winter and summer. Smallest: Sig P238 when wearing a t-shirt or when I wear a suit (or as a backup). I wear loose Hawaiian shirts in the summer and they conceal most anything with the right holster.

gbelleh
May 21, 2011, 03:00 AM
Summer - Kahr PM9, Kel-Tec PF-9 with no problem. Glock 26/27 or M&P compact with the right holster.

Winter - anything except maybe a Desert Eagle. But usually a USP .45c, Glock 23 or 1911.

Sgt_R
May 21, 2011, 04:26 AM
Winter - anything except maybe a Desert Eagle.

A friend of mine once CC'd a Desert Eagle .50 AE w/ the 10" barrel in a chest rig. All it took to hide it was a heavy coat.

In a similar 'proof of concept' experiment, I once concealed an 18" machete at 3:00 IWB in a pair of Levi's jeans (the tip of the blade was just above my right knee). I walked around like that for several hours - it was uncomfortable, but nobody noticed.

Neither of which are practical for EDC, obviously, but you can conceal just about anything if you dress around it.

R

Mark-Smith
May 21, 2011, 04:30 AM
I once concealed an 18" machete at 3:00 IWB in a pair of Levi's jeans (the tip of the blade was just above my right knee). I walked around like that for several hours - it was uncomfortable, but nobody noticed.

Glad and slightly disturbed to know I'm not the only one who's done this! Can't sit down very well, but if you get in a knife fight... Well, you get to say 'No, *this* is a knife'.

Sgt_R
May 21, 2011, 04:31 AM
LOL

dnthmn
May 21, 2011, 06:42 AM
I've carried a full size 1911 and M&P in both summer and winter though I usually go with a compact version. I've also carried a G21 in winter OWB. I don't have a IWB holster for it or it would probably be carried more often.

earlthegoat2
May 21, 2011, 07:46 AM
I dont like carrying anything bigger than a J frame in summer here. If I had to I could carry a Hi Power though with an oversized button down shirt.

Jed Carter
May 21, 2011, 07:57 AM
Both Winter and Summer I was comfortably carrying a CZ PCR, sometimes still do. I decided to replace it with a longer barreled pistol with a thinner grip. My EDC is a SIG RCS 1911, a commander length slide/barrel on an officer size frame. These are about as large as I go, but if I could conceal a longer barreled pistol in a belt holster I would. I take a SIG P238 with me when I am not carrying a gun.

The Wiry Irishman
May 21, 2011, 08:21 AM
My rear-round regular carry is a 6" 2011 that weighs about 4 pounds loaded. It conceals just fine in a homemade IWB holster. A new one actually designed for carry is on the way - the barrel is just a little too long and renders my back right pocket more or less useless.

I also carried a 8 3/3" 629 for a day just to see if I could - shoulder rig under a heavy winter jacket. Felt and concealed just fine, but the ridiculous draw time makes it a silly choice for serious carry.

Zerodefect
May 21, 2011, 09:50 AM
5" 1911 is as big as I'll go.

crestoncowboy
May 21, 2011, 10:02 AM
with an m85 jacket I can conceal my 8 inch 460 during deer season, good for going in stores since hunter holsters sent me a holster that doesnt unsnap from the belt ( 3 times they sent me the wrong holster, right packaging wrong holster) and I have to take my belt off to remove the gun. but Im 6'4 and around 180 so I have problems concealing much during the summer, if I want to wear a tanktop I have to carry my 21a in a pocket, with a t shirt I carry a glock 27 in front pointed right torward mr happy so Im looking for a better way.

451 Detonics
May 21, 2011, 10:16 AM
I carry a 2 1/2 in N Frame year round, a S&W 325 PD. Conceals fine under a camp shirt or polo.

Cards81fan
May 21, 2011, 02:07 PM
My XD service works fine all winter, and in summer IWB with shorts and a shirt (button down or polo). But if I am doing any type of summer activity or out in a tee in the heat, it's an LCP in the pocket.

Still kicking myself for getting rid of my Glock 26, and trying to decide if I should pick up another Glock subcompact or a Walther PPS. Those are a great in-between size, and honestly more practical for me than a compact- or service-sized weapon.

EddieNFL
May 21, 2011, 02:09 PM
5" 1911 is as big as I'll go.
Government Model in the winter. Switch to a stainless framed Government Model for the summer months.

jfrey
May 21, 2011, 02:24 PM
G36, G19, commander size 1911 anytime in Texas. Weather don't matter. I only carry the Glocks because sweat doesn't bother them. Shorts and t-shirt will hide them all very easily.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
May 21, 2011, 02:44 PM
P220 full-size .45 Auto in a C5 IWB along with C5 1/4" thick heavy leather belt 1.75" wide and C5 leather magazine carriers.

All this requires is for me to be wearing a shirt that is long enough to pull out and let hang over the 220 grip and over the holster and magazine-holders and all associated connecting straps.

C5 Leather (click here) (http://www.c5leather.com/)

mljdeckard
May 21, 2011, 02:54 PM
I carry a 5", 38 oz, all steel 1911 year-round, including 100+ degree summers.

I think there is an organized effort between the magazines and the gunmakers to try to convince everyone that they can't carry full-size guns. They need at least two of everything, one for the range and one for carry.

Chuck Perry
May 21, 2011, 03:09 PM
I think we can all carry just about anything if you dress around the gun. How about those of us that can't always do that? It's not always an option to walk around with an untucked shirt. My always is a Colt Mustang. I'm thinking I can start packing the Kahr PM45 most all the time if I get an ankle rig for it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Cards81fan
May 21, 2011, 03:12 PM
C5 Leather (click here) (http://www.c5leather.com/)

Thanks for the link - first time I have seen this holster maker. I like the Mex. Looks like it would work excellent for a Glock 26/27.

msparks
May 21, 2011, 03:19 PM
Glock 26 or XD45C summer or winter. Sometimes I will also carry my Sp101 in a fanny pack depending on what I'm doing.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
May 21, 2011, 03:24 PM
It's not always an option to walk around with an untucked shirt.

I agree, and I was not referring to carrying with my shirt hanging out. I only have it out enough to kind of "bag-over" the gun, it still comes back up and is fully tucked in all around! It is only that, where the gun is, the shirt tail is pulled up perhaps five inches and wraps down over my stuff, then back up and tucked in!

mljdeckard
May 21, 2011, 03:29 PM
I've carried a 1911 in the waistband with a shirt and tie with a Crossbreed Supertuck.

danfive555
May 21, 2011, 03:33 PM
I'll be trying SR9c and XD sc 40 for summer carry.
I think this size is very small and don't feel like going any smaller, yet.
Plus both are great range guns.

PTK
May 21, 2011, 03:43 PM
My summertime CCW - with a tucked-in shirt, mind you - is a full-size H&K USP-T 45acp. Between dressing nicely, a large framed body, and a M-Tac tuckable holster, it just disappears. :)

GCBurner
May 21, 2011, 03:48 PM
The largest I comfortably carry concealed is a S&W J-frame .38 with a 3" barrel. I've carried a 1911A1 .45 in an IWB holster, even in the summer, but it's not really too comfortable for carrying all day, or for driving a lot sitting down. My Walther PPK rides better in a IWB holster, and my new Kel-Tec .380 fits into a pocket holster with no noticeable bulge, and without dragging down my shorts on one side.

jiminhobesound
May 21, 2011, 04:21 PM
Here in Southern Florida formal business dress is usually a long sleeved shirt with a tie. Difficult to hide anything. Casual dress is usually shorts so no ankle holsters. My solution is carrying a pocket pistol, a SCCY CPX in 9mm, vert small and light. I have tried all sorts of holsters, with larger guns, including the type that you tuck your shirt into, and they do not work for me. I also use a belly band and an under the shirt shoulder holster. I really like this shoulder holster but wearing it requires wearing an undershirt and that can get warm.

Bad Words
May 21, 2011, 04:27 PM
5" 1911 IWB year round. In the summer I may just be wearing a pair of pants/shorts and a single t-shirt (cotton or polyester, never tucked in), and it's still no problem.

Great Scot
May 21, 2011, 05:40 PM
Summer - Smith 637/Walther PPK
Winter - Glock 19

Vern Humphrey
May 21, 2011, 05:47 PM
So what are your largest CCW summer / winter gun choices?

For winter carry, I carry an M1911 -- currently a Kimber Custon Classic (MKI) in a tuckable holster of my own design.

For summer, spring and fall, I carry the same gun in the same holster.

doc.lonestar
May 21, 2011, 07:17 PM
Winter or Summer I carry the same - G30 or Commander w/ Ruger LCR bug. For the most part I will carry the G30 with me every time I leave the house - but there are occassions that require a "less is more mentality". For example some work situations, at the pool, beach, lake, neighbors bbq, I need to be more discret and pocket carry my LCR.

Mikenmel08
May 21, 2011, 07:34 PM
+ 1 on the G30

CZ223
May 22, 2011, 08:38 AM
It used to be a Glock with a spare mag. It is now a 4" 1911 and two spare mags in a double mag pouch, though I do sometimes go with a 3" version when I am dressed nicely. I can carry all of these comfortably wearing shorts, T-shirt and an open short sleeve shirt. I also can, and do, carry my LCP as a BUG dressed like this.

Ole Coot
May 22, 2011, 09:25 AM
Winter, the ole 45 summer a different story. I carry a J frame or Glock 23 not so comfortable. I have in rare circumstances carried a Beretta 21-A in 22lr in my shirt pocket.

MikePaiN
May 22, 2011, 10:21 AM
I don't have a winter/summer or any carry rotation. I carry the same gun in the same position all the time. I do like my CCW small, Kahr CM/PM or LCR size.

Seven For Sure
May 22, 2011, 10:35 AM
winter Glock 22
summer Glock 27

When fishing it's a pocket gun so I can take my shirt off.

hank327
May 22, 2011, 04:15 PM
5" 1911 Government Model or a Glock 17 in an IWB holster all year round.

cwp3420
May 22, 2011, 04:37 PM
I carry the HK45CT year round in a Raven Concealment Systems Phantom holster. I bought a Ruger LCP and tried it for a few weeks, but felt undergunned. I went back to the HK and love it.

Zach S
May 22, 2011, 06:20 PM
5" 1911, year round.

It's not always an option to walk around with an untucked shirt.
Most of the time, that option is available to me.

hirundo82
May 22, 2011, 06:38 PM
I usually carry a Glock 19, year-round. The largest I've carried are my Glock 17 and a 5" 1911.

I think my largest gun is a 4" GP100; I don't have a concealment holster for that yet, but I'll probably give it a go once I do get one (I like to have a carry holster for all my SD-caliber guns, even if I don't plan on carrying them).

armoredman
May 22, 2011, 08:17 PM
Used to be 1 gun, same rig all year 'round...

CZ P-01 in HBE COMIII IWB rig. Works absolutely fantastic.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/advert3HBE.jpg

But lately, a different pistol has been working its way into the rotation, by dint of incredible accuracy and perfect functioning with any load...but concealing it is an interesting challenge.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/CZ%20posters/CZreallythatgood.jpg

Right now I am using a Bianchi M-100 that doesn't quite fit, but hoping to get a new rig sometime soon to try out. The gun is far larger than the easily concealed P-01, but I really like the extra rounds and the excellent accuracy.

Winkman822
May 23, 2011, 10:48 AM
For summer, I typically tend to prefer a short grip gun like my Wilson Combat CQB Compacty, a Colt CCO, or my Springfield EMP. It prints against a light-weight t-shirt a lot less than a full size 1911. The weight and size of a full size 1911 don't bother me, it's just the occasional protruding of the grip that makes it less desireable for me.

ET
May 23, 2011, 12:37 PM
After reading the entries on this thread, I'm ashamed to say that I have never concealed anything bigger than a compact handgun like the Glock23. In the last 2 years my largest concealed carry gun has been my Glock27. In the summer if I'm only going to wear a single layer tee shirt I will use my Taurus TCP either in my pocket or IWB. I guess I'm just a wimp when it come to concealed carry.:o

Mark-Smith
May 23, 2011, 09:49 PM
I'm surprised no one has concealed anything of extraordinary size. Seriously, there has to be someone on THR that has a Desert Eagle as their CC daily carry.

techoca
May 24, 2011, 02:41 PM
4 season carry: Colt LW Commander in Garrett Silent Thunder IWB. All day, everyday.

BigShep85
May 24, 2011, 03:24 PM
My winter is a s&w wesson 4506-1 no police issue I love the gun all stainless no worry about rust or having it in all weather. It is too big for summer concealed carry but it is a trooper, camping, hiking, four-wheeling. No scratch worries it being the stainless finish it is. I have been debating on whether to get a 4516, 4013, 4053, etc. something smaller for my summer concealed carry but still in third generation.
Its like carrying Robocop around in your holster....due to the durability and the weight.

Jeb21
May 24, 2011, 03:29 PM
I have regularly carried a Beretta 92fs or a Sig 220 here in Florida for summer carry. My current carry gun is a Smith 3913 or when I cannot dress around that gun, a "J" frame smith in a pager pal type holster.

ForumSurfer
May 24, 2011, 03:40 PM
Largest I carry?

Winter: Glock 19
Summer: Glock 19

:)

A few years ago it was a little different...

Winter: Government sized 1911
Summer: Government sized 1911

I'm a simple guy. :)

I have made things complicated, I find myself toting a g26 from time to time these days.

JoelSteinbach
May 24, 2011, 03:52 PM
Kimber Ultra Rapto All year long

GRIZ22
May 24, 2011, 04:11 PM
I have carried up to a Glock 21 or L frame size revolver in a T shirt or hawaiian shirt. Get the shirt a little bigger and you have no problems concealing a handgun of those sizes. If you insist on form fitting clothes you may be more concerned with fashion than carrying a gun.

ForumSurfer
May 24, 2011, 04:23 PM
If you insist on form fitting clothes you may be more concerned with dashion than carrying a gun.

I've heard that and I've said that. But it isn't always true. I lost several pounds and toned up after spending the last 2-3 years in the gym. I like to wear form fitting clothes because I can and it has zilch to do with fashion. I can still manage to carry a g26 and sometimes a g19. There is a difference between "form fitting" and "holy cow I can't breath."

Much of it has to do with body weight and height as well as type....not to mention where you wear the gun.

One-Time
May 24, 2011, 05:47 PM
if Im not carrying a 229, I carry a full size P220 regardless of season

Dionysusigma
May 24, 2011, 08:53 PM
Largest summer carry was a Sig P6. Largest winter was a Sig P220.

Scipio Africanus
May 24, 2011, 11:14 PM
Summer carry- 4" in 1911
Winter carry - same as above, or.... a Ruger SRH Alaskan in .454 (loaded w/ .45 Colt), or a S&W 325 TR.
I have carried a 4" S&W .500 concealed.
Before anyone jumps on me, I had legitimate business outdoors in bear and cougar country and, later in the same trip had to go down into town. I did not want to take two handguns, however, I did take ammo of greatly reduced power (on the order of .50 GI) for my trip to civilization. I do not make a habit of this.
Concealing a really big gun can be done, all it takes is a really well made and properly fitting holster.

TonyT
May 25, 2011, 08:05 AM
I carried a Glock-36, the single stack 45 ACP, for several years. I finally opted for a Kahr PM-9 in a pocket holster which is my constant companion both summer and winter. I do have an additional CZ-40 or Glock-17 in the car.

Ben86
May 25, 2011, 09:29 AM
Summer: Glock 26

Winter: Glock 26

I like to stick with one gun for CC. Preferably I'd to have one gun for CC and HD, but I just haven't got around to getting a decent IWB holster for my Glock 17. Heat is not a factor for CC IMO. A loose fitting shirt will conceal most any full size gun on a man with an average build. Carrying a small gun is more about comfort than concealment to me.

Jonah71
May 25, 2011, 09:37 AM
I only have 4 guns I would consider for carry right now. Glock 23, 26. Kimber BP pro .45, and S&W Mod .36, so I'm pretty limited. Winter.....any of them with the Mod.36 as a bug. Summer.... most likely G 26.

gvf
May 25, 2011, 03:53 PM
How About This?:

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz290/gvff/A.jpg

I carry two in the summer in my cut-offs.

(Uberti Buntline Target LBR - Barrel: 19")

If you enjoyed reading about "The *largest* handgun for summer / winter CCW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!