Glock 17 + CCI primer issue

PDA

Sapper771
May 21, 2011, 04:54 AM
A friend recently gave me 5,000 CCI small pistol primers (gold primers, marked commercial). I have used CCI primers in my G17 loads with no issues, but they were silver primers and purchased off the shelf. My G17 is failing to ignite the primers due to their harder primer cups. This is occuring about 2-3 rounds per magazine. The striker spring in my G17 is new.

I know that Wolff Gunsprings sells a heavier striker spring rated at 6 lbs. I am wondering if that extra half pound over factory strength will be enough to solve this issue.

I could trade these CCI primers for Federals. I have roughly 6,000 rounds through this G17 using Federal primers with zero problems. It would more than likely be easier to get the heavier striker spring though.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I understand that this thread could have also been placed in the reloading section, but was unsure where it would be better served. Moderators, feel free to move it if necessary.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 17 + CCI primer issue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CZ57
May 21, 2011, 08:30 PM
If it's easier to get the new striker spring rather than trade for the Federal primers, that is the course I would choose. If the new spring will ignite the gold plated primers than it will likely ignite any of your handloads using stahdard CCI-500 primers or anything else.;)

REAPER4206969
May 21, 2011, 11:03 PM
Is the firing pin channel clean and free of lube?

A heavier firing pin spring will increase your trigger pull.

eam3clm@att.net
May 21, 2011, 11:15 PM
I have loaded and shot almost a full case of the cci500 OEm primers in my g22 and 27 without any problems. what does the primer look like after it does not go off. Does it have a small pin strike or is it larger. In all my years of shooting and reloading I have found that most primer ingintion problems can be traced to an improperly seated primer unless it is a custom gun with light springs. I have not noticed them to be any harder than regular cci primers and even my kel tech p3at will set them off without any problems.

gofastman
May 21, 2011, 11:19 PM
I have the 6lb striker spring and the extra power trigger spring, the trigger pull is a little bit different (worse) than stock, but its something I learned to deal with pretty quickly.

Ill say it again: "Hey Glock, bring your 28N striker springs to North America!!!"

Sapper771
May 22, 2011, 07:37 AM
The striker channel is clean and unlubricated. The primers have a small dimple on them. So far, they have all ignited on the second try. I will check my seating depth on them , may have to knock the dust off of the old manual priming tool. I just wanted to check to see if anyone else had experienced this issue and find out how it was resolved. I have heard a few people talk about it, just never seen it.

Thank You for your help.

Sapper771
May 23, 2011, 07:04 PM
Eam3clm@att.net,

I beleive you are right. I hand primed a batch of brass. All of them ignited without fail. Now I have to figure out how to rig my Hornady LnL press to seat the primers deeper.

Again, Thanks to all for the help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 17 + CCI primer issue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!