Magazine tapping

PDA

merlinfire
May 21, 2011, 09:26 PM
Do you *always* slap magazines against the palm of your hand to make sure the cartridges are seated? I have some guns that don't seem to care if the round is a little forward of the fully rearward position but it seems my 1911 wants to jam if they're not all the way back.

If you enjoyed reading about "Magazine tapping" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tyeo098
May 21, 2011, 09:40 PM
I just load my magazines so that gravity does that for me...

9mmepiphany
May 21, 2011, 09:49 PM
Just my single stack mags...mostly in .45ACP

CraigC
May 21, 2011, 10:02 PM
Usually, especially 1911 mags.

earlthegoat2
May 21, 2011, 10:07 PM
I do to all magazines out of habit only. Although I no longer own an auto pistol for now.

Im still not sure if it really helps.

Probably more of a concern with larger capacity rifle mags really.

JellyJar
May 21, 2011, 10:53 PM
That's the way they do it in the movies so they must know better than me so I do it too! :)

Kliegl
May 22, 2011, 02:00 AM
I usually just push each round back all the way as I load it.

NoirFan
May 22, 2011, 02:03 AM
You got me. I just realized the only reason I do this is because it looks cool. It doesn't really make a difference in the autos I shoot though.

Shimitup
May 22, 2011, 02:33 AM
I have no idea why but I do, old habits I guess. I wonder where they are after the first shot? I've never popped the mag out to check.

Deus Machina
May 22, 2011, 10:16 AM
I do.

It's just that my Ruger Mk3 doesn't load right unless that first round is all the way back, I figure smacking the rounds back doesn't hurt, and is just narrowing down one more way something could otherwise go sideways.

1KPerDay
May 22, 2011, 10:23 AM
I never have...

forindooruseonly
May 22, 2011, 10:28 AM
Mostly on submachinegun mags, I have a couple that will hang up otherwise. I've never had any issues with my handguns, but the habit forms and now I find myself doing it with rifle magazines as well for no particular reason.

dirtykid
May 22, 2011, 10:33 AM
Now that i think about it, I do it every time, on every magazine, dont know why or when i started doing it,but have never had a mis-feed problem on any of my guns pistol or rifle,, coincedence ??

walking arsenal
May 22, 2011, 10:44 AM
I do it with my XD mags. Otherwise the rounds stack funny and reduce the capacity by one. They will also rattle. So, about halfway through the mag I slap it against my palm to make sure they're seated right.

jiminhobesound
May 22, 2011, 11:42 AM
I use a simple loader aid on my thumb. I insure that each and every round is properly seated in the magazine. I believe this to be a better method than slapping the mag.

guntech59
May 22, 2011, 08:16 PM
I suppose it's just a habit from the Army but, yeah I still do it to every magazine I load.

RevDerb
May 22, 2011, 08:21 PM
That's the way that I was taught by a retired LEO buddy so yes I do. It has become habit now.

Six
May 22, 2011, 08:23 PM
I do it with my XD mags. Otherwise the rounds stack funny and reduce the capacity by one. They will also rattle. So, about halfway through the mag I slap it against my palm to make sure they're seated right.

Same here with my Glock mags. My M&P doesn't have that issue, but the habit is still there.

Dokkalfar
May 22, 2011, 09:20 PM
Yea, I do it with my .270WIN, just habit and I've had issues before with double-feeds, though that may have just been the cheap ammo :p

9mmfan
May 23, 2011, 01:26 AM
Every now and again, once fully loaded. No rhyme or reason. Both pistols and my one mag rifle, carbine actually. Used to pack my smokes everytime. Not sure what benefits either gave me, tho it made more sense with the mags... Prolly movies mostly. Think what I saw on the silver screen was more likely knocking debris outta the top of the mags, so as not to foul the action. When I have done it, seating the rounds to the back was on my mind.

kozak6
May 23, 2011, 01:28 AM
I have never tapped a single magazine.

No problems.

il_10
May 23, 2011, 03:35 AM
I do. It's mostly out of habit, but I have had magazine-related failures with my little beretta 950 jetfire that are remedied by smacking it one good time, which goes a long way to reinforce the habit.

WaltonS
May 23, 2011, 04:02 AM
Never done it, actually.

Br
May 24, 2011, 12:26 AM
Would be an interesting poll question. I do usually, its what I was taught many years ago to supposedly reduce feeding issues. Now its just habit.

HK Jake
May 24, 2011, 12:30 AM
No, as the slide on my P30 automatically racks and chambers a round the moment I put the magazine in. And no, I do not "slam" the magazine in; the normal method of putting the magazine in will rack the slide unless you do it very soft.

MarkDozier
May 24, 2011, 02:54 AM
Yes I do. I have seen cases where it makes a differences in FTF issues.

youngda9
May 24, 2011, 11:50 AM
No, and I've never had a problem. As soon as the top one is taken away, the spring takes over and pushes the rounds up re-seating them anyways.

I used to do this...but quickly found out that it was pointless.

SIGLBER
May 24, 2011, 12:40 PM
The only time I give them a "snap" is if they are rattling or always on my AR's. 1911's can be quite magazine finicky by the way. Some will only work with specific types of magazines. Shouldn't hurt to smack them with your hand. Really shouldn't need to though. Might want to try another style of mag.

rcmodel
May 24, 2011, 12:48 PM
All that hand smacking makes my old hand hurt!

I have been smacking them on my boot heel since Uncle Sam taught me to do it in 1960 something.

Used to smack them on my steel pot too, but I don't wear an Army hard-hat anymore.

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "Magazine tapping" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!