How to Lube Your Slide

PDA

aminyard
May 22, 2011, 01:09 PM
after reading reports of "sticky " slides, galling, etc. I decided to put in my 2 cents worth. First, if a Slide is too tight or uneven, don't try to "work it in", as this can cause galling. Instead get some 600 grit lapping compound and lap the slide to the frame (tis can take several hours). You will remove metal only at he "tight" spots with no chance of galling.

Once the slide is smooth acting, treat the ways (on both the slide and the frame) with Brownell's Action Magic, a two part molybium disulfide dry film lubricant. This actually penetrates the metal and will last for thousands of rounds. One of the nice things about it is that it will not entrap contaminants (including powder residue) which makes cleaning a matter of blowing out the gunk with a brush or air gun!! Be careful and read and follow the instructions and your slide problems will disappear.

PS Also works great on stainless.

Good luck

If you enjoyed reading about "How to Lube Your Slide" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jolly Rogers
May 22, 2011, 02:22 PM
Be sure to use "non embedding" lapping compound. If the wrong substance is used the lapping action will continue forever...
Joe

aminyard
May 23, 2011, 09:52 AM
Good point, I buy my lapping compound from Brownells, and they only carry the non-embedding, so I forgot to mention it.

If you enjoyed reading about "How to Lube Your Slide" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!