H&K Tactical .40: How well does it reduce recoil?

PDA

L-Frame
May 22, 2011, 01:46 PM
I've read about the H&K's recoil reducing system and was wondering if anyone has had any experience in shooting H&K's Tactical .40 and how it tames the recoil compared to say a glock 22 or Sig 229? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "H&K Tactical .40: How well does it reduce recoil?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AZ Five seveN
May 22, 2011, 05:15 PM
I don't have experience with the USP Tactical series, but I have handled the P30 .40 S&W on multiple occasions and have compared it to the M&P 40. I can say with certainty that the P30 is a bit milder than the M&P 40 which is widely considered to be milder than the G22.

I hope this helps.

P.S. I suggest shooting and comparing these firearms before making a purchase unless you are dead set on one or the other! You won't be disappointed with an H&K, though.

harmon rabb
May 22, 2011, 05:53 PM
Eh, if you care about recoil, why are you looking at a 40 in the first place? 40 has the most annoying recoil of any service caliber.

AZ Five seveN
May 22, 2011, 06:00 PM
Eh, if you care about recoil, why are you looking at a 40 in the first place? 40 has the most annoying recoil of any service caliber.
Good point.

L-Frame
May 22, 2011, 08:17 PM
There is an H&K Tactical .40 for sale a few hours from me. Seems like a great deal but it is in .40 cal. I have shot a Glock 35 before and, agreeing with harmon rabb, was very annoyed with the recoil. I was hoping that the H&K, which brags about their recoil dampening system, and the tactical being a slightly larger gun, the recoil would be less annoying. I can't find anywhere around that rents the tactical model. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with one. thanks.

CZ57
May 22, 2011, 08:23 PM
My experience is with the standard USP and the recoil reduction worked pretty well. I found it comfortable to shoot, but with heavy loads you could feel engagement of the heavier secondary spring. I would say recoil was on par with a good polymer framed .45 ACP.;)

harmon rabb
May 22, 2011, 09:08 PM
My experience is with the standard USP and the recoil reduction worked pretty well. I found it comfortable to shoot, but with heavy loads you could feel engagement of the heavier secondary spring. I would say recoil was on par with a good polymer framed .45 ACP.

45acp recoil and 40s&w recoil are completely different, don't even try to compare them. 45acp is a slow push, 40s&w is a sharp snap. they feel completely different in all ways.

harmon rabb
May 22, 2011, 09:09 PM
There is an H&K Tactical .40 for sale a few hours from me. Seems like a great deal but it is in .40 cal. I have shot a Glock 35 before and, agreeing with harmon rabb, was very annoyed with the recoil. I was hoping that the H&K, which brags about their recoil dampening system, and the tactical being a slightly larger gun, the recoil would be less annoying. I can't find anywhere around that rents the tactical model. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with one. thanks.

40 is a great round and all, but i don't think anything can make it as enjoyable to fire as 9mm or 45acp.

CZ57
May 22, 2011, 10:40 PM
45acp recoil and 40s&w recoil are completely different, don't even try to compare them. 45acp is a slow push, 40s&w is a sharp snap. they feel completely different in all ways.

Harmon is this from your own personal experience with the H&K USP? Or are you making a broad generalization. From my experience shooting the USP I'd say it handles the recoil better than most other .40s. Maybe your more recoil sensitive than I am.;)

L-Frame
May 22, 2011, 11:57 PM
Well, like I said earlier I put a few rounds through a glock 35 and realized quickly that it wasn't for me. Way too much muzzle flip. And I agree, it was much more of a quick, hard snap, compared to the slow push of a .45.

Thanks for the input.

CZ57
May 23, 2011, 12:48 AM
You could learn a lot by comparing the G35 to the H&K Tac. The longer barrel of the 35 increases velocity and therefore recoil. I bet you would feel a reduction shooting the H&K. And not all .45 ACP recoil is a gentle push. Load one up to the same kinetic energy or power factor as a .40 S&W and the difference in recoil in similar sized pistols is negligible. Comparing warm say 500 FT/Lb loads in a .40 compared to shooting 230 gr loads in a .45 ACP and naturally you'll get a snap with the .40 and a push with the slow .45ACP. But, when you look at apples to apples and compare .45 ACP rounds of the same energy and power factor with 185 gr. +P loads it gets pretty snappy. To answer your question, the recoil reduction system in the USP/Tac works to provide more of a push feeling than a snap. It's the only .40 with a recoil reduction system based on the Peters/Stahl system that was once used in the SA Omega. The only thing I've experienced that works nearly as well is the Ruger P-345 and it works so well it reminded me of the USP and I was shooting loads up to and including +P with 185s, not the gentle pushing 230s. I wouldn't base the H&K Tac recoil with what you experienced with the G-35 and that's the point of this, is it not?;)

RP88
May 23, 2011, 02:17 AM
.40 and .45 are very platform-dependent calibers, from my experience. Some .45s would really bring the gun up and back hard, then some .40s handle like a 9mm with just a tad more of a quick snap.

You have to try it out to see if you like it or not.

May 23, 2011, 04:47 AM
Recoil from a HK USP40 is definitely softer than that on the Glock G22. Yes, personal experience.

If you enjoyed reading about "H&K Tactical .40: How well does it reduce recoil?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!