Am I a 'gun collector'? When did I become one?

PDA

critter
May 24, 2011, 07:56 AM
I can remember 'wanting A gun'-I was VERY young!
Then, I wanted a 'bunch of guns'.
I wanted a gun to fit every hunting need.
I wanted a gun to fit ever shooting situation.
Then I guess I wanted 'all the guns'!
Later, I just wanted guns due to their beauty, engineering, fit & finish, etc.
I got guns that I would never shoot.
I began to get multiple copies of guns of the types I liked.
I started to buy beautiful, old, classic guns.
I began to 'trade up' by getting rid of guns I never shot or really
thought of as 'pretty' or 'desirable' for 'pretty, old, classic' guns.

Did I REALLY (without thinking about it) become a "gun collector"? Ok, ok, I know the answer. When did I cross the line?

BTW, I don't think I ever thought along the lines of guns for investing although it has been at least ok in that department.

Anybody else experience a similar 'catastrophe'?

If you enjoyed reading about "Am I a 'gun collector'? When did I become one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
forindooruseonly
May 24, 2011, 09:27 AM
Yep. I hear you. It didn't help that my dad is a "collector" too. Funny how "collector" is a dirty word around here...

I think I crossed that line when I sold off all my "black" guns - both long guns and handguns - and realized I didn't miss them a bit.

Ala Dan
May 24, 2011, 09:32 AM
"Collector"? Nope, "Cumilator" Yes~! :D

I'm not tied to a particular brand or model ~! :scrutiny: ;)

forindooruseonly
May 24, 2011, 09:36 AM
I'm more of a accumulator too, assuming a strict definition of collector. But considering the OP's criteria of chasing "old, classic and pretty", I definitely fall into that category!

LibShooter
May 24, 2011, 09:59 AM
Am I a 'gun collector'? When did I become one?

About here:

Then I guess I wanted 'all the guns'!

RX-178
May 24, 2011, 10:24 AM
Amen. I don't know when it happened, but I'm certainly an accumulator now.

effengee
May 24, 2011, 10:25 AM
I just don't have the money for it...

If/when I hit the lottery, I'll be a collector.

RX-178
May 24, 2011, 10:26 AM
I don't know, I think being a collector is more about mindset than money, effengee.

Although if you go by that definition I became a collector at around age 12...

SSchmidt
May 24, 2011, 11:28 AM
It's frightening how we've come from "just one gun" to "just one more" to "I have to have another" to "why not, i've got so many already."

jiminhobesound
May 24, 2011, 11:35 AM
Is a Collector not defined as collecting a Type of gun( over/under,sxs,lever ), or Era(WWII) , or Manufacturer, or Purpose (skeet, long range rifle)?

MachIVshooter
May 24, 2011, 11:43 AM
I'd say it starts when you begin picking up certain types of firearms that you have no particular use for. Like mil-surps: There's certainly no usefulness justification for having 30 or more rifles that are so similar in size, design and ballistics.

Single Action Six
May 24, 2011, 02:24 PM
"For indoor use only" said in part..

..chasing "old, classic and pretty", I definitely fall into that category!

Now y'all wouldn't be ah-talk'en about yor misses that way now.. would ya..!!..? :D

Jonah71
May 24, 2011, 02:37 PM
Sometimes it's possible to just wake up one morning and realize you're a collector and you didn't even see it comming. It just kinda snuck up on you.

Standing Wolf
May 24, 2011, 04:35 PM
I admit to being an accumulator. I'm probably going to need a pretty fair-sized wheelbarrow when I die, because I doubt I could carry them all past the pearly gates.

Lex Luthier
May 24, 2011, 06:01 PM
That is a great question.

I think one becomes a collector of something when they move past the glancing interest and begin to appreciate the uniquely nuanced individual examples that pique their fancy. I have collected musical instruments and equipment, antique and practical tools, books and firearms. My interest of late is assembling a complete D-Day paratrooper uniform. A nominal amount of experience is enough for some people, but when hobby finds you, you're hooked.

We are all just kids in the treehouse.

wally
May 24, 2011, 09:03 PM
I'd say once you have more than you can carry, you are a collector.

:)

leadcounsel
May 24, 2011, 09:32 PM
When you buy guns for no particular reason, no immediate need, or duplicates, or "just to have" it then I think you are an accumulator.

When you go looking for specific makes or models (say all Colt Peacemakers or Mosin Nagant variants) then you are a collector.

I'm both :)

Gordon_Freeman
May 24, 2011, 09:52 PM
Now that I have kids I'm beginning to pick up duplicate guns (different brands of each) so that my kids will each get one and not have to fight over them.

rogertc1
May 24, 2011, 10:47 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=7274692#post7274692

nwilliams
May 25, 2011, 03:38 AM
I own guns because I like to own guns, so I guess that make me a gun collector.

CajunBass
May 25, 2011, 03:50 AM
I don't know when it started, but I realized I had crossed the line when I started saying, 'No, I'll pass. It doesn't have the box and papers."

RX-178
May 25, 2011, 03:55 AM
Wow, I don't think I've ever done that one, CajunBass.

I HAVE made a note to keep an eye out for a 'in box with papers' one later on...

FROGO207
May 25, 2011, 05:56 AM
The heck with the guns. I have some and want them all!:D The truth is you have to get at least one of each caliber/variation AND the reloading setup for each one to truly qualify for that. BTW I have this sickness, it is curbed by eating/breathing/sleeping firearms related activities.:cool:

critter
May 25, 2011, 06:29 AM
Jonah71: you sure nailed it. It DID sneak up on me as I was completely unaware! Also, it appears that I am in good company here! The addiction has spread worse than MERSA! Sorry guys, I am a carrier.

arflattop
May 26, 2011, 09:59 PM
I couldn't have said it better, except I haven't culled any of my previous purchases. I realized what a "problem" I had when I began building a new home and all my gun money began going for lights, faucets and cabinets.

Black Butte
May 26, 2011, 10:04 PM
I'm not collecting, I'm investing. :) Now it's time to diversify my portfolio with a pump action.

22-rimfire
May 26, 2011, 10:24 PM
Funny how "collector" is a dirty word around here...

Why is that?

You become a collector when you start to buy guns for no reason other than they exist, you like them, you have no identifiable need for the gun, and you want more of them. You begin to rationalize the purchases by saying they will increase in value or call them investments. Condition becomes very important to you and buying guns with the correct box and paperwork becomes very important to you. You have no intention of ever shooting these guns. You're now a collector.

But you can be both a collector and an accumulator. I personally think a collection needs some sort of unifying theme. An accumulator is more random in terms of purchases and you likely shoot a lot of these accumulated firearms.

grumpy66
May 26, 2011, 10:39 PM
You know you got it good when you walk into the local dealer and he says "I've been holding this just for you".

Yes, I pay his rent.

Loosedhorse
May 27, 2011, 08:27 AM
Officially, you're a collector once you get your C&R FFL.

Unofficially (and in reality) you're a collector the first time you buy a gun not because you think you need it, but just because you want it.

Welcome to the club.

Loosedhorse
May 27, 2011, 08:31 AM
[error]

Nushif
May 27, 2011, 11:48 AM
I'd say once you have more than you can carry, you are a collector.

If I hold out my arms, stack them just right and walk really, really slow, so I can try not to drop any I can still carry all mine. Or I could wear cargo shorts and a backpack and stuff all my pockets.

Hah! I am *not* a collector.

O C
May 27, 2011, 08:10 PM
When you start BUYING COLLECTIONS you've past the point of no return. I have bought 3 collections ( 2 from estates of people I knew), and now have 53 handguns with an average investment of $335.00 per. They range from a NIB Colt Boa to a Walther PPK/s. Now I'm getting close to start unloading some and keep very few. It's almost like selling your children (although there were a few times that wasn't such a bad idea).

clutch
May 27, 2011, 08:22 PM
I'm not a collector even if I have the 03 FFL*. I'm a black hole, a place where guns come in and never leave my possession.

Clutch

*Gee, I forgot to renew my 03FFL just before Obama came into power and had to re-apply for a new one. So sorry about previous license and bound book.

If you enjoyed reading about "Am I a 'gun collector'? When did I become one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!