Tired of spending!

PDA

Jurist
May 24, 2011, 12:49 PM
$500.00,$600.00 $700.00 bucks on each firearms purchase,how about your input.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tired of spending!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M-Cameron
May 24, 2011, 12:50 PM
find a less expensive hobby.

Big_E
May 24, 2011, 12:52 PM
I feel you. Try splitting firearms and car audio hobbies. Both cost lots of $$$. :uhoh:

Whiskey11
May 24, 2011, 12:56 PM
Well.... Firearms and racing Mustangs are both expensive... Thankfully, right now I haven't been racing my 'stang so I have more for shooting :D I just wish I could swing the 1k$ for a new barrel for the R700 :)

kingpin008
May 24, 2011, 12:57 PM
What did you expect, freebies? Like any hobby, you gotta pay to play. If it's getting to be too much for you, stop buying guns or get a second job. :D

fastbolt
May 24, 2011, 12:58 PM
I dunno. I thought it was funny one day when my wife commented that I had spent less money each month when I was buying a lot of guns, compared to the money I was spending on cigars, cigar accessories & cigar lounge memberships (which included adult beverages suitable for enjoying with fine cigars, of course) ...

RimfireChris
May 24, 2011, 01:01 PM
Yeah, unfortunately, the prices are what the market will bear. I do think it's getting a bit ridiculous. I mean, almost $700 for a Mini-14, at Walmart?! :what: C'mon, seriously? S&W, a company I love, and think they make the best revolvers on the planet, has really priced themselves outta the market for a lotta folks. There's a reason I bought two Tauruses. I keep trolling for used S&Ws, but the ones in good shape aren't a lot better, and what's more, most guys are holding on to theirs, as they know they can't afford to replace them, something I wish I could have forseen when I sold my two ten years ago. :banghead:

dirtykid
May 24, 2011, 01:07 PM
The cost of gun dosent bother me as the price of GOOD optics costing almost as much,

beeenbag
May 24, 2011, 01:08 PM
To me the thrill of bringin home a new baby everynow and then is just as fulfilling as shooting. I don't like dropping piles of cash on anything but then again, if they were 30 bucks a piece there wouldn't be as much of a "reward" in buying them.

MachIVshooter
May 24, 2011, 01:12 PM
Try splitting firearms and car audio hobbies. Both cost lots of $$$

Or splitting it with building hot rods, trucks and bikes. My gun money has to be rationed against:

1990 Jeep Commanche, stock (shop truck)
1984 Honda Interceptor 750, chopped & satin black
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z 2.2, FM stage II .68AR, NP555
1983 Dodge Ramcharger, 5" & 35's (trail rig)
1978 Dodge Aspen Coupe, MSD'd and Quick Fueled'd 440, built 727,
1969 Dodge Charger R/T, still awaiting Drivetrain
1966 Kaiser M35A2 6x6 w/w, restored, awaiting super singles
1951 Dodge D-100 pick-up, 390 HP 360, built 904, 4.11 Posi, etc.

You have to go in cycles when you have more than one expensive hobby. One year, I might be all about the guns. The next two may be few or no gun related purchases, everything going into the cars.

ErikO
May 24, 2011, 01:25 PM
What MachIV said. Another hobby I have is high-powered rocketry. Guns should be far cheaper and easier to accomodate.

JerryM
May 24, 2011, 01:26 PM
Shooting is a rather expensive sport. However, use your head and do not spend what you don't have. "A fool and his money are soon parted."
Include your sports in your budget and stick with it.

Jerry

dirtykid
May 24, 2011, 01:32 PM
I was all with ya MachIV until i saw the HONDA,, :barf: An old MOPAR-nut myself but my 2-wheeler carries an expensive label >> HD <<
(2003 V-Rod) Somebody told me when i bought it the HD stands for hundred-dollars,cause they said that's what ya spend every trip to store,, in that case it should be >3HD (usuall no less than $300) every trip !! :banghead:

HGUNHNTR
May 24, 2011, 01:34 PM
We have been raised to be a nation of consumers. If you are dissapointed in what you are able to afford, save up for your next firearm purchase and book a plane ticket to a third world country. I recently spent a couple weeks in Morocco, but any will do. Spend a week or so bumming around, and voila! your perspective has changed. You may even feel a bit guilty about how you could even responsibly consider spending that type of money on a hobby. I'm not saying its bad, I love the heck out of gun collecting myself. Hey it might help ya out.

DoubleTapDrew
May 24, 2011, 01:38 PM
I'm into fast cars, bikes, quads, audio too. Like my folks used to tell me "You better get a good job, you have expensive hobbies"
Oh well, it could be worse. I could be into airplanes or boats.

stsimons
May 24, 2011, 01:42 PM
Geez, when I was big into offshore fishing we could burn $500 worth of gas in a day and sometimes not have anything to show for it except being sunburned, wet, and tired. I usually build up my guns incrementally buying a barrel here or a stock there etc so I don't notice the cost as much, and neither does the Mrs...

gym
May 24, 2011, 02:31 PM
Comparing it to other things, I would have to say that smoking cigarettes alone would pay for hundreds of guns over 50 years of smoking. So it's all relative. I wish I had just the money I spent on my vices over the last 30-40 years. We all need something to enjoy and occupy our time. If not this, than something just as if not more expensive. At 60 dollars a carton, if I and the wife still smoked, that would be $480 a month, there is a gun in there someware. That's without Cigars, booze, etc. If you spend money on a good bottle of Scotch Burbon or Vodka, and smoke, you really can't complain about how expensive guns are.
Same goes for anything else. When you are young and have a good income, you don't think about this stuff, as you get a little older, you tend to pick the stuff that you like the most and eliminate the others, unless you have unlimited funds. Cars don't really exite me anymore, I still drive a Mercedes, but likelly the last time I do that, my wife got a Mazda 5 door, 2 weeks ago and I like driving that little bugger more than my car. So you adjust your life as you go on to exlude things that don't matter as much and concentrate on the ones that do. Just my nickles worth.

Jonah71
May 24, 2011, 02:34 PM
Can't and won't do it anymore since I don't have any I want to trade away, there are no gun purchases in my near future. (really!)

Onward Allusion
May 24, 2011, 02:44 PM
Start buying Hi-Points, Taurus', Comm-Bloc Mil-Surplus, Ruger P-series, H&R/NEF, and used guns.;)

SharpsDressedMan
May 24, 2011, 03:21 PM
You're absolutely right! Quit buying guns, and buy $500 worth of primers, start loading, and learn how to shoot them.

ny32182
May 24, 2011, 03:31 PM
Guns are as expensive as I go... I would likely enjoy cars or boats, but alas, my income is not 7 digits. One nice thing about guns; if you want to quit spending money on them for a while, you can. Insurance, maintenance, etc, on a bunch of guns is nothing compared to what it is on a fleet of cars.

ForumSurfer
May 24, 2011, 03:36 PM
Firearms aren't what is killing me...what hurts is constantly feeding them and all the gear that goes with them.

browneu
May 24, 2011, 03:41 PM
For me, there isn't anything out there that I like so I'm just spending money on ammo. Good thing about guns us that they last and last. Parts aren't expensive if and when they do break.

Kendal Black
May 24, 2011, 03:46 PM
I find my interests have shifted from the latest and greatest to the tried and true.

Rather than getting more guns I'm looking into having fewer. I've figured out by now the kinds I like best and which ones I use most and I'm kinda thinking the rest are excess.

Didn't always think that way.

MachIVshooter
May 24, 2011, 03:47 PM
I was all with ya MachIV until i saw the HONDA

Yeah, I know. I'm all American boy, but there are a few exceptions. I'd love to have an old hard tail, white walled, jockey shift, no front brake or fender Knucklehead. But nobody was willing to trade one of those for a gen II Glock 22, which is what I gave for the Interceptor. As well, oil changes, brakes, batteries, chains and tires are all I ever have to do to that thing, and it'll outrun any factory big twin except the V-rod. I think I have maybe $1,200 into that bike over the last 7 years, including the value of that Glock.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/100_0606.jpg

I've also acquired 3 other vehicles by trading for guns. Like a S&W model 19 that I bought for $200, traded for a 66 Dodge 1/2 ton, put about 20 hours and $100 into that truck and sold it for $900 a few months later. Could have got more if I'd been patient.

Jurist
May 24, 2011, 04:25 PM
OK,OK I give up, you folks are all right,you get what you pay for,I totally understand.I am not knocking the hobby,I enjoy it very much,just wished that a dealer would throw something my way when I drop the cash.You know like a free box of ammo,silicon cloth,gun oil you know what I'm talking about.These are things that they did back in the day,I believe it was called good faith.

Ronsch
May 24, 2011, 04:32 PM
Nope...Love it because I have earned every dollar I spend on my firearms, ammo, reloading, etc. and still provide for my family and save.

Every firearm I own has been paid for in cash (USPS Money order or bank checks), or debit card. No going into hock or using credit cards for them.

It is a good feeling...

ForumSurfer
May 24, 2011, 04:40 PM
OK,OK I give up, you folks are all right,you get what you pay for,I totally understand.I am not knocking the hobby,I enjoy it very much,just wished that a dealer would throw something my way when I drop the cash.You know like a free box of ammo,silicon cloth,gun oil you know what I'm talking about.These are things that they did back in the day,I believe it was called good faith.

They can't afford to!

Most retail stuff is sold at a reasonable markup.

Most dealers that have good prices sell their inventory at a ridiculously low markup, like under 15 or 10 percent.

If they give you that free box of ammo, they'll lose money on you.

They make their money off of trade-ins and accessories (like that box of ammo).

SleazyRider
May 24, 2011, 04:46 PM
I hear you. To afford my firearms hobby, I had to give up smokin', drinkin', gamblin', womanizing, and cussin'. It ain't right.

Well ... 3 out of 5 maybe.

mgmorden
May 24, 2011, 04:47 PM
I don't mind spending money on guns. Few things hold their value as well.

I'm also really into computers. I have graphics cards and other equipment that I paid $400-500 for that 5 years later I'm throwing in the trash because I know nobody will pay more than $10 for them.

Cars? My new car that cost $17,000 (which is a pretty cheap new car) is currently worth about $3,000 6 years later.

Boats? Just look at how much those deprecate. A 10+ year old boat - even in good working order - will be worth about 10% of what it cost new.

Firearms you can keep, shoot, do what you will, and if you ever decide to get rid of them as long as you haven't "customized" it too much you'll usually get what you put into it back - often times more.

Because of that I typically don't mind buying guns. Sure, I've sunk a lot of money into them, but that's money that can easily be re-liquidated.

ForumSurfer
May 24, 2011, 04:49 PM
SleazyRider, that was completely unnecessary...no reason to be a quitter, just switch to 9mm. :neener:

firemanstrickland
May 24, 2011, 04:52 PM
dirty kid, ill second that, i wish the optics werent so killer, i feel ya man, this is killer, but,......necessary

USAF_Vet
May 24, 2011, 05:04 PM
Last gun I purchased $169.95.

gun currently on lay away $79.50

Most expensive gun purchased $250.

More of my money goes to ammo rather than the guns. Plus I hold out for decent deals.

SleazyRider
May 24, 2011, 05:05 PM
Ginder Mountain will give you a free cleaning, or a free scope mounting, or a free gun sock with the purchase of a firearm.

MachIVshooter
May 24, 2011, 05:16 PM
Ginder Mountain will give you a free cleaning, or a free scope mounting, or a free gun sock with the purchase of a firearm.

And all you have to do is pay 10-20% over MSRP. No thanks.

whalerman
May 24, 2011, 05:31 PM
I think that way now and then. But my guns hold their value better than my other vices. I'm also into boating. Don't even think about it. That SharpDressedMan had a point. Maybe we should spend more time learning to be better shots with the guns we already own.

kingpin008
May 24, 2011, 05:53 PM

People gotta make money. Also, the gun business is like a number of others, in that it's more of a luxury industry. Most people don't need to buy guns/ammo/etc in the course of their daily lives. Guns are extras, hobbies, toys to most folks. Therefore, when the economy gets tight, so do the freebies at shops. Sucks, but it is what it is.

macadore
May 24, 2011, 06:52 PM
I'm tired of $50.00 shipping fees and 3% credit card fees.

sonick808
May 24, 2011, 06:59 PM
i've went on a heavy binge in 2010 and 2011, i really need to cool out

i probably won't though, I have a list in my phone of "guns needed". not wanted, needed. lol

if i'm at a shop and the list matches one in the case, and hte price is good.....

fastbolt: i had the cigar sickness also. still do !

yhtomit
May 24, 2011, 07:19 PM
Some advantages of guns, as others have pointed out, in the world of expensive hobbies:

- storage space isn't too onerous. Sure, it *can* be, if you're lucky ;) In which case, this isn't your complaint.

- Unfired, they don't rot and lose value too quickly.

- Insurance and other fees (moorage, landing fees, registration, certifications, disposal fees for fluids) can eat into the boat-car-plane budget even faster than the boat-car-plane do ;)

Others:

- guns can be admired, worked on, etc. indoors, and in all weather. Working on a motorcycle looks a lot less fun at low temps.

- A boat-car-plane-car is a big, indivisible investment. The same money spent on a tasteful collection of guns means you have something that can be pieced out if desired. (Graduation gift to a child, or trade for something you like better.) An engine or other parts of a vehicle, this is *possible* but more of a hassle.

- Depending on the gun, you can make it cheaper to feed by shooting a cheaper *brand* of ammunition (Blazer vs. Cor-Bon), a cheaper caliber of ammunition (.38sp vs. .357 Mag), a cheaper variety of ammunition (reloaded, by you or by a factory), or a thinner diet (single-action only, reload slowly and thoughtfully, firing only when you see the whites of their eyes ...)

I'm certainly far from immune, though. In the interest of saving for a house, I'm budgeting less for this as well as other hobbies. That means, among other things, a shuffling of the old wishlist, so a .22 revolver may be the next I spring for; that makes for only a small hit each trip to the range ;) And I think I'm set in the speakers-and-amps department for a few years -- finally bought the Cambridge Audio model 12 I've been thinking about for the last decade; if I'd done that a year ago, I think I would have saved some money spent in that corner of the budget on other things instead.

timothy

Gordon_Freeman
May 24, 2011, 10:10 PM
My other hobby is PC gaming. I have spent some serious money on computers in the last decade. Now the older computers are worth nothing. I love how old guns still have value.

orionengnr
May 24, 2011, 10:15 PM
I buy nearly all of my guns used...and do the same with cars and motorcycles.
I let someone else take the initial depeciation hit.

When I decide to sell, I may lose 10%...not 30-50%.

mgmorden
May 24, 2011, 11:17 PM
I'm tired of $50.00 shipping fees and 3% credit card fees.

I don't even mind as long as they fess up and call it a fee. As soon as I see that BS about "All prices reflect a 3% cash discount that cannot be earned with a credit card." though I won't buy from someone. Yes, mathematically they're the same, but I don't like weasel words or trying to make something sound better than it is. Advertised prices are not discounts. Discounts come off later. If it's something tacked onto a price, it's a fee, plain and simple. I don't mind paying the fee, but only if they man up and call it what it is.

Prion
May 24, 2011, 11:26 PM
Buy a Glock and an AR and shoot the lights out of 'em.

I sold everything I owned except an a G17 and an AR. I needed money for health reasons and realized I was happier with a thinner collection I could shoot and know. Of course I kept my Dillon.

For me it's about shooting, not spending.

Tomcat47
May 24, 2011, 11:34 PM
Well I look at it like this nowadays......

I Like guns and yeah shelling out $500, $600, $700 at a whack makes you think about changing hobbies....but...

I used to like traveling, and boating, and visiting other states to see the sights.....

But Shelling out $500, $600, $700 at a whack on gas that you dont even get to keep......

I will just stick to Guns and short trips to the range and gun shop! :D

Cards81fan
May 24, 2011, 11:40 PM
Buy a Glock and an AR and shoot the lights out of 'em.

I sold everything I owned except an a G17 and an AR. I needed money for health reasons and realized I was happier with a thinner collection I could shoot and know. Of course I kept my Dillon.

For me it's about shooting, not spending.
This is about what I have done. I bought 4 shooters (an XD-40, LCP, Marlin 22, and Maverick 88), sold of most of the rest, though I have kept 4 safe queens (a Colt 1911 Series 70 repro I got for $800ish, a Taurus .357 that was a gift, and then a pair of old break action shotguns I got for $75 combined).

If you count just the shooters:

$350
$300
$150
$190
-----
$990

I am in for under a grand on the 4 shooters. The 4 safe queens double that though. If I went for just the XD and Mossberg, the total is under $600, very paltry.

rio nueces
May 24, 2011, 11:41 PM
Firearms don't need to be expensive to be fun. Besides, I like finding deals, fixing up and buying cheap and then outshooting 'big shots' who have to buy the most expensive toys to show off.
Nothing wrong though w/ spending big bucks if you can afford it, or really need to.
But if it becomes an obsession... There's other things you do do with your money. Such as charity, helping family members, supporting good political candidates.
I was at the range and met a nice guy shooting a $40,000 double Cape Buffalo gun, engraved and the whole deal. Beautiful rifle. And he had actually used it hunting in Africa.
I was shooting my $40 Mosin Nagant. He let me shoot the Double, and I generously let him shoot my Mosin. Funny thing, I'm certain the trigger pull on the Mosin was better, and the sights on the Mosin suited me far better.
The other day I was at the range and was shooting .45 acp in my $80 H and R shotgun.
I had a $16 Dina adapter in it. Guy next to me was shooting a $1000 Kimber 1911. Sure enough I was outshooting him. One at a time though. And having as much fun.
My home defense pistol is a copy of a Colt 1860. It shoots just fine. I've got less than $40 invested in it. Works for me.

CraigC
May 25, 2011, 12:50 AM
I enjoy spending money on guns and accessories (and cigars and motorcycles). It's everything else that gives me the bellyache. Like health insurance, gas, vehicle insurance, mortgage and income tax. But at least my truck is paid for, my bike will be in a year and I work from home. :D

lizziedog1
May 25, 2011, 08:09 AM
Maybe we could get Washington to subsidize our hobby. :D

SleazyRider
May 25, 2011, 09:19 AM
Lizziedog1 for president!

HGUNHNTR
May 25, 2011, 09:20 AM
Maybe we could get Washington to subsidize our hobby--Anything is possible, farmers have done it.

MachIVshooter
May 25, 2011, 09:31 AM
I don't even mind as long as they fess up and call it a fee. As soon as I see that BS about "All prices reflect a 3% cash discount that cannot be earned with a credit card

Its gernerally against the policies of the credit card companies and processing companies to charge a fee for using a card, and it's illegal in 10 states:

California
Colorado
Connecticut
Florida
Kansas
Maine
Massachusetts
New York
Oklahoma
Texas

But you can offer a discount for whatever reason you like.

Ole Coot
May 25, 2011, 09:57 AM
I don't consider firearms a hobby. I have tools to do most jobs myself and protecting me and mine calls for specific tools. An adjustable wrench will not do the job of a complete set of standard and metric wrenches. I have specific firearms for different situations also. Lets say the right tool for the particular job. I have never drawn my carry firearm in the USA but I haven't hesitated otherwise. I don't depend on laws and the government to protect me, I feel it is my responsibility. I take care of my "tools" and after 60+yrs I know how to use them. I have a well equipped workshop in a separate building and have "tools" in a couple of safes, just like a toolbox to hold the "tool" I need for a specific job.

CajunBass
May 25, 2011, 10:13 AM
HA! Go buy a bass boat.

Guns will look cheap.

mgmorden
May 25, 2011, 02:59 PM
Its gernerally against the policies of the credit card companies and processing companies to charge a fee for using a card, and it's illegal in 10 states:

California
Colorado
Connecticut
Florida
Kansas
Maine
Massachusetts
New York
Oklahoma
Texas

But you can offer a discount for whatever reason you like.

Indeed, I'm aware of that. It's also against all policies of the card companies to have a minimum purchase too though yet the same guys have no qualms about throwing up a "$20 minimum credit card purchase" at gun shows. But again, no matter what they say a "discount" is applied after the fact, it's not reflected in advertised prices. Let them bump the advertised prices by 3% to start with, THEN put up a sign saying you'll get a 3% discount on those prices if paying by cash.

THAT is a discount IMHO. PARTICULARLY in an auction situation. There's no way that you can even logically claim that the final ending value in an auction reflects a "cash discount".

I stick by my position. Merchant agreements or no, I'll pay it if they're honest about it being a fee. I don't like the weasal words though.

Also - BTW, this doesn't matter so much in internet sales, but for LOCAL sales (where I still see those 3% cash discount signs - particularly at gun shows) it's often just their shortsightedness causing this. The majority of people paying with Visa or Mastercard these days seem to be using those as DEBIT cards, not credit. They'll work just fine if you run it as credit, but all the usual fees are charged to the merchant. If they actually go through the trouble of getting setup to treat it as a debit transaction though, then those fees are SIGNIFICANTLY reduced to the point where a debit card transaction is basically the same as cash.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tired of spending!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!