GLOCK 23 or XD(m)40 compact?

PDA

prozac4dave
May 24, 2011, 11:33 PM
Hi, this is my first post here so please take it easy on me! I'm looking for a CCW pistol, and after reading hundreds of threads here and elsewhere still don't have a real answer! My current carry is a Walther P99 AS! I love this gun and the ergonomics are great! So, ALL "FAN BOY" ANTICS ASIDE! Which of the two would best match the ergonomics and quality of the P99? I have no access to a range that will rent guns without traveling 6-9 hours away! I just want gritty old facts and not basic opinions of preferences! I really want the G23 but the XDm seems quite nice! PLEASE HELP!

If you enjoyed reading about "GLOCK 23 or XD(m)40 compact?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
prozac4dave
May 24, 2011, 11:36 PM
By the by . . any suggestions on a 40S&W that are within the price range of these two side arms are welcome!

Apocalypse-Now
May 25, 2011, 12:38 AM
either glock 23 or m&p 40c are great choices. the m&p's are going dirt cheap online now too for some reason.

i owned an XD once, and therefore cannot recommend it.

prozac4dave
May 25, 2011, 01:01 AM
any reason why you wouldnt recomend the XD???

I honestly dont think Id like the grip safety to be honest, yet they have a pretty good following. I'm just not sure which has the greater advantage . . .I also really like they no frils style of the glock, just really want to confirm that it's the better choice in the matter!

Apocalypse-Now
May 25, 2011, 01:11 AM
my xd jammed with every type of fmj ammo, and the accuracy went downhill the hotter the barrel got. sold it.

i'm sure it was a lemon, which SA would have taken care of, but i'm still glad i sold it. they're not as durable, nor as reliable as glocks. parts are not readily available, or cheap as dirt like glock parts.

this guy had similar experiences with two xd's:

http://www.christiangunowner.com/springfield_xd.html

HK Jake
May 25, 2011, 02:38 AM
If you get a Glock, get a Gen 3; they are way more reliable than the newer Gen 4 Glocks.

jmr40
May 25, 2011, 08:57 AM
I owned an XD briefly and would not recommend one either. I like the Glock. The new M&P probably more closely resembles the feel of then P99 you currently have and is a gun I'd consider.

hardluk1
May 25, 2011, 11:37 AM
Why would you not buy a 40 cal Walther P99 if you like it so much? When you change to a different brand or even type with in a brand you will have to learn a new grip, trigger , and even the way the pistol points in your hand. One thing about carrying. The least you change things over time the less chance you have to screw up on if time comes if ever needed. If you buy a different pistol are you going to still going to carry the walther some times? Some thing to think about. After that what people here tell you doesn't mean much . You still have to feel it and shoot it to know of you like it. All make good firearms and all they also make some junk from time to time. I have friends that carry most brands out there and I have shot many and carry none of the ones they do. Just the way it goes.

Mudinyeri
May 25, 2011, 11:48 AM
I own several XD/XDm's, Glocks and a variety of other guns. I have no reliability or accuracy issues with any of them. I have an XD40SC with thousands of rounds through it - jam free. It's accuracy has remained constant through some very trying drills. I also have Glocks that have been jam free. I'm no fanboy or hater.

I have a question similar to hardluk's. Is there a reason you're not considering the Walther P99 in .40? (I'm guessing you want something a little smaller.)

Of the Glock 23 and the XDm, the grip of the XDm will probably be the most similar to the Walther.

prozac4dave
May 25, 2011, 01:10 PM
Don't get me wrong I do absolutely love my Walther, and have looked at their entire line up for 40S&W. My only problem with Walther is the lack of available options!!! Try to find replacement parts or anything to keep on hand JIC something happens, it's just not possible. Where as the GLOCK, I can change calibers with a drop in barrel, adjust trigger pull or any other customizing (with in limits) that I see fit, same goes for the XD(m)! I rjust really like to have more options and back up parts available for worst case scenarios.

X-Rap
May 25, 2011, 01:20 PM
I had an XD compact and I couldn't run a full mag through the gun without multiple jams. I had 4 mags and had similar results across the board. I wanted to like the gun but just couldn't.
I have 6 glocks in 9,357,40,45 with 30-40 mags and they are the most reliable of all my semi autos.
I'm sure they are out there but I have yet to see a faulty Glock mag.
I prefer the G2 with a Houge slip on grip, the spacing of the finger ribs fits my hand better than the G3's. I haven't touched a G4 so I have no opinion.

Mudinyeri
May 25, 2011, 03:00 PM
If you're looking for parts availability, it's hard to beat a Glock.

I'll also agree with X-Rap, that the Glock magazines are hard to beat.

I generally don't "customize" my carry guns. I don't want my lack of gunsmithing skills to be the reason I die in a firefight.

prozac4dave
May 25, 2011, 03:41 PM
The G23 GEN4 has me a little frightened though with all of the negative posts. The ultimate reason that the Glock is being considered I guess is my interest in the Kel-Tec Sub2000 that takes glock mags. My friend has both the G23 and the Sub2000 and it is an amazing setup as 1 mag can be used in both. I have yet to shoot either but love the idea of it. But he is a "fan boy" so I know his review is biased at the least. All of you here are well versed and know what you're talking about so I'm more willing to listen to all of you rather than him! Thank you to all who has added input on this thread.

Ole Coot
May 25, 2011, 06:23 PM
I have a Glock g23 and it works very well. If you don't like their looks, well that's why they call it "concealed" carry. First one I ever bought and am happy with carrying it.

Apocalypse-Now
May 25, 2011, 06:44 PM
The G23 GEN4 has me a little frightened though with all of the negative posts.

the negative posts you're thinking of aren't for the gen4 40cals. they're as reliable as the gen3's. the problem posts are concerning gen4 9mm's.

my gen4 g23 is awesome. had a bad extractor i had to change, but i had to do so on my gen3 g19 as well. glock's been putting out a lot of out of spec extractors for a while now.

in fact, i think many of the gen4 9mm issues that were still occurring after an updated spring was installed stem from out of spec extractors.

HK Jake
May 25, 2011, 06:58 PM
the negative posts you're thinking of aren't for the gen4 40cals. they're as reliable as the gen3's. the problem posts are concerning gen4 9mm's.

my gen4 g23 is awesome. had a bad extractor i had to change, but i had to do so on my gen3 g19 as well. glock's been putting out a lot of out of spec extractors for a while now.

in fact, i think many of the gen4 9mm issues that were still occurring after an updated spring was installed stem from out of spec extractors.
That's not totally true. The Oakland Police Department just had an emergency recall of all Gen 4 Glock 22s due to multiple malfunctions during training. I have no idea what the actual issue is, however.

HK Jake
May 25, 2011, 06:59 PM
I have a Glock g23 and it works very well. If you don't like their looks, well that's why they call it "concealed" carry. First one I ever bought and am happy with carrying it.

If you don't like their looks, put a bag over their head? :D

Apocalypse-Now
May 25, 2011, 07:14 PM
That's not totally true. The Oakland Police Department just had an emergency recall of all Gen 4 Glock 22s due to multiple malfunctions during training. I have no idea what the actual issue is, however.

yep, read the news article on that one. there is no mention of what the problem is though, and thus far only the police and glock know what the issue is.

could be as simple as loose night sights, or maybe bad extractors (something tells me it's bad extractors lol).

just saying it may not be a "gen4" issue. :)

HK Jake
May 25, 2011, 07:18 PM
yep, read the news article on that one. there is no mention of what the problem is though, and thus far only the police and glock know what the issue is.

could be as simple as loose night sights, or maybe bad extractors (something tells me it's bad extractors lol).

just saying it may not be a "gen4" issue. :)
Hehe yeah, I hear ya. I just wish they would tell us what the deal is... But, "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride!"

prozac4dave
May 25, 2011, 07:43 PM
Rather disheartening considering I kinda had my heart set on a G23 as a B-day gift to myself here in June . . . haha, well maybe I'll wait and make it an X-mas gift in December so they have time to figure it out. But I WILL have the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 in June . . .I'll still get the Glock magazine model though!!!

HK Jake
May 25, 2011, 07:45 PM
In all seriousness, based on the options you provided, I'd opt for the Gen 3 Glock 23.

Glock Gen 3 > Glock Gen 4

prozac4dave
May 25, 2011, 07:51 PM
Yeah, but if I get a Gen3 now I'll still end up buying the Gen4 when they get straightened out, just the way I am. Rather odd that GLOCK would put their name on a product that wasn't fully tested though, kinda makes me lose a little respect for them after all Ive read and heard :( Maybe just a bit to confident in their own products to think it was necessary?

Apocalypse-Now
May 25, 2011, 08:00 PM
the gen4 40cals are good to go!! lol :)

they don't have issues with tac lights attached like some gen3 40cals ;)

the recoil is slightly disipated by the dual assembly, although not much, but the grip feels better if you have small hands. you can get more finger around the trigger.

stop using your great than/less than symbol, HK Jake! lol :) you're frightening prozacdave lmao

CZ57
May 25, 2011, 08:16 PM
SA XDm offers a match grade barrel and conventional rifling in case you want to shoot SWCs or some other excellent cast lead load. With the 11 round mag in place it is more compact than the 23 and with the 16 round mag you have a full size pistol for the range. It's hard to believe some of the problems I've read with XDs but notice they all went Glock. Nothing wrong with a glock unless you plan to shoot cast lead loads or buy another barrel. And, the XDm is an improvement over the standard XD. I hate Glock sights and my XDm came with a great set of sights. For me it's XDm hands down.;)

prozac4dave
May 25, 2011, 08:21 PM
Alright Apocalypse . . .Imma go for it, G23 Gen4 it is, but if I get any of the FTF/FTE or stove pipes, you have to trade me your pest pistol for my Gen4 if it turns out to be a lemon! HAHA, just joking. Further more I have read that the 9mm models had the same captive springs installed that were intended for the 40sw models, something like an 18# spring which lead to issues with soft load 9mm's. There is also a curious bump located on the trigger connector that surprisingly adds 1#+ to the trigger pull (this is the norm on ALL gen4 models!) so the gen3 trigger connector does seem to be ">" than that of the gen4! HAHA!

Apocalypse-Now
May 25, 2011, 08:48 PM
^^lol

you'll love it. the worst thing that might happen is you get a bad extractor, but many gen3's have those too, and it's a $10 part :)

as for the the trigger bar bump--yes it sux lol. however, you can just drop ina gen3 bumpless trigger bar. they're totally interchangeable. that's what i did. in fact, the new gen3's have the gen4 trigger bar with bump now too.

if you have any probs with it, your next bottle of prozac is on me LOL

REAPER4206969
May 25, 2011, 08:55 PM
A guy on Arfcom posted a pic of a GEN3 he bought last month, and it did not have the bump.

Some do though.

HK Jake
May 25, 2011, 09:45 PM
stop using your great than/less than symbol, HK Jake! lol :) you're frightening prozacdave lmao

Haha! :D I do my best!

bcp280z
May 26, 2011, 02:09 AM
Don't have a Walther, Have a fullsize M&P40 and a Glock 23, love em both, can't go wrong with either.

XD's are ok too, handled em a while before purchasing the latter items. But I think you'll find the above two a little better, IMO.

bcp280z
May 26, 2011, 05:18 AM
Best advice is get one, just be somewhat spontaneous even though you may only have a few choices, if you don't like it sell/trade it for one of the other options, start with the priciest first. Kinda what I do now since Obama cut the Gov's budget therefore cutting my budget.

mossberg835
May 26, 2011, 09:13 PM
xd's are a fine gun but personally I prefer the glock 23 . great pistol that always goes bang when I want it to and the 23 fits alot of my 1911 holsters though I tend to use the fobus paddle the most. Just for the sake of discussion ,the taurus 24/7 has the unique ability to strike a primer a second time with it's double action trigger. It does have the same problem for me as the xd in that it sets too high in the hand . When I pull it up I'm looking at the back of the slide instead of the sights.* IN MY OPINION* , if I had to sell em all and keep one it would be the 23.:neener:

helitack32f1
May 27, 2011, 12:19 AM
I have to agree with mossberg835, If I was gonna keep just one defense gun it would be my 18 year old Glock 23. I just think the compact Glocks are the perfect overall concealed carry gun, especially in .40. The only thing I have considered to replace it is a brand spankin' new Gen 4 G23. I have Gen 4 G17 and can't really see buying non-Gen 4 Glocks from here on out.

I suspect you will be happy with whatever G23 you get.

mossberg835
May 27, 2011, 10:20 PM
lelitack32f1, lone wolf has a drop in barrel that would make it a gen4 g22. I was thinking of getting the 9mm barrel from them to make mine a g19 if I needed it to be. (in case of future ammo shortage) I think they are a little over a hundred bucks.

If you enjoyed reading about "GLOCK 23 or XD(m)40 compact?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!