Colt D.A.38

PDA

SteveSleasman
May 25, 2011, 01:13 AM
I just bought an old .38 Revolver today and am hoping I made a good buy. The Serial # is 280115. Can anyone tell me about this gun. Year made? value for good condition.

Thank you

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt D.A.38" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tom e gun
May 25, 2011, 01:35 AM
i think you need to include more information about the gun than that lol
maybe put a few pictures and more of a description of it. the picture will probably give you the most positive results.

kdave21
May 29, 2011, 12:09 AM
I have no idea what yours is worth, need more info, but just for conversation sake... I had a Colt Model 1895 DA in 38 and it was in very good condition. It was made I believe in 95 or 96.... Anyhow, I bought it for 650ish online, sold it down the road at a gun auction and it only brought about 450. I still feel like it was worth more than that, but then again, the market is king, not the seller. The auctioneer made the comment "Supposedly this was made in the 1800's" as though I had made up the whole thing. I will admit some fault though, I didnt get it to him in time for the primary buyer inspection period, so it was a bit of a gamble for most bidders who had no time to research it. Lessons are learned in life through experience.

Old Fuff
May 29, 2011, 12:43 PM
Colt hand-ejector revolvers (the kind where you swing the cylinder out to the left to load or eject fired cases) have so far attracted little collector interest, except for examples in perfect, or nearly so, condition. With the exception of some models made after 1908, the same can be said for shooters.

In particular, the models made before 1908 generally don't sell for big-bucks (meaning over $400 unless in perfect condition) and "average condition" one's can be found for much less. There are exceptions of course, and recently the trend has been upward.

For those that might be interested, they have a lot of history behind them, and one can build up a representive collection for much less then what would be required to buy other "collectable Colt's."

Jim K
May 29, 2011, 07:34 PM
I think one of the reasons those guns don't bring better prices is because so many are in poor condition and the fragile mechanism is often not functional. They are notorious for getting out of time and being nearly impossible to fix (Colt won't touch them, and few gunsmiths will either). I think they, along with the Colt DA's of the WWI-WWII period are sleepers and likely to increase in value. Part of the problem is that there is little interest from martial collectors, even though the military guns were used in the Spanish-American war and later. But the SAW does not seem to have the "romance" of the Civil War, or WWI and WWII. (How many "centennial of the Spanish-American War" stories appeared in magazines and on TV in 1998, compared to the interest in the 100th and 150th anniversaries of the Civil War?)

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt D.A.38" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!