Most 1911 for the money

PDA

crackshotsdad
May 25, 2011, 07:27 AM
New to the HIGHROAD, not new to guns. Just looking for some suggestions. I'm basically looking for as much 1911 as I can get for around $800.00 (new/single stack/full size) Gentlemen start your engines!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Most 1911 for the money" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TonyT
May 25, 2011, 07:50 AM
In the ca $800 range I would opt for the S&W line. My personnal favorite is the Dan Wesson line which unfortunatelyis somewhat pricier but has great value.

hornet41
May 25, 2011, 07:57 AM
Save a few more sheckles and go for a Springfield Armory TRP!! You won't be sorry! 'Mo

LHRGunslinger
May 25, 2011, 08:41 AM
Have you checked out the new Ruger 1911?

Pilot
May 25, 2011, 08:54 AM
I like my Colts, and they can be found in that price range, or not much more if you look a bit.

RUT
May 25, 2011, 09:37 AM
Ruger SR1911.............

Dryft
May 25, 2011, 09:48 AM
The new Ruger looks like quite a gun for the money - and the warrantee...

RevolvingGarbage
May 25, 2011, 12:08 PM
You have enough, get a nice older Colt!
http://i55.tinypic.com/29onbc0.jpg

Or if its the more tactical/modern look you are after, the new Ruger might be better.

9mmepiphany
May 25, 2011, 12:22 PM
I think I'd lean toward a S&W for it's combination of features and build quality.

I think the sweet spot in the 1911 market is the mid-range $1500-$2000 segment as the most/best quality gun for your money

NMBrian
May 25, 2011, 12:23 PM
Springfield Loaded, Ruger's new model seems to be getting good reviews, Remington has a very well built all american made one out.

You have many choices!

loadedround
May 25, 2011, 12:32 PM
My first choice would be a Colt and my second choice would be the Ruger SR1911. I have handled one and fell in love with it. Now have one on order. :)

Black Butte
May 25, 2011, 12:32 PM
Springfield loaded or the new Ruger SR1911.

Dobe
May 25, 2011, 12:39 PM
For the money, the SR1911 is hard to beat. I have about 850 rounds through mine in a three week period. It's not a bad 1911. I like it.

Apocalypse-Now
May 25, 2011, 12:50 PM
Springfield armory.

i won't suggest the SR1911 as others have, because i haven't seen one in person, nor do i know how well it runs because it's new. let the beta testers weed out any potential problems on new guns.

Talin342
May 25, 2011, 01:02 PM
My vote goes to Springfield Armory

ISO1600
May 25, 2011, 01:44 PM
Ruger SR1911. 350 rounds through mine in two days and couldn't be happier at this point.

Cards81fan
May 25, 2011, 01:54 PM
You must define "Most" but I recommend a Colt, and I like the Series 70 reproductions.

-Forged frames and slides
-Low usage of MIM parts (see here (http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=33440))
-Made in USA
-Extremely high resale
-Popular with shooters AND collectors (see resale)
-Generally regarded as very attractive aesthetically (real bluing and wood grips)
-Available for under $900 in most retail markets

Now, if by "Most" you mean loaded with enhanced features not native to the 1911 platform (beavertails, accessory rails, bobbed frames, "improved" triggers and hammers, mag wells, etc...) then the Colts may not be for you. Not that those are bad things but everyone has a different purpose for their pistols.

rellascout
May 25, 2011, 02:55 PM
I think the sweet spot in the 1911 market is the mid-range $1500-$2000 segment as the most/best quality gun for your money

I agree with this. At this range you can get a lot of Semi-custom guns like a Les Baer or Ed Brown. The Valor also falls in this range. Lots of semi-custom guns can be found LNIB at this price range.

You must define "Most" but I recommend a Colt, and I like the Series 70 reproductions.

I also love this comment. A Colt 70 repo is a ton of gun for the money in that if you buy it smart and at the right price you can shoot 1000 rounds throught it and sell it for what you have in it. Not enough people shoot the 1911 in a stock Govt configuration. I love handing people my 70 series Repo and blowing their mind with how well they can shoot it.

If you are looking for tactical coolness with all the features I would choose the SA Loaded or a S&W if you do not mind an external extractor. Both have long track records of being reliable for most shooters needs.

I cannot believe that people are recommending the Ruger 1911. I have to ask how many of the people recommending it actually own the pistol, have shot the pistol or even held one. :eek: The Ruger may end up being a great 1911 but at this stage I am not sure we can make a call it.

cpirtle
May 25, 2011, 03:28 PM
I'm ready to duck but I have two of Sig's 1911's (both above the $800 mark) and both have been fantastic and I feel were money well spent. They have a few models in the $800 range.

With that said I'm with the suggestion of a Mil-Spec Colt, I have a series 80 1911A1 that was made in the early 80's and it will run with my more expensive guns all day long, I think I paid $550 for it.

If you step up a little in what you're willing to spend & start shopping around for some of Dan Wesson's less expensive models the benefits compound quickly. Even though their prices have gone up recently and some people are salty over that, they are still one of the best values out there IMO. I've got a Valor and CBOB and they are both impeccable.

It's hard to shop for a 1911 in the $800 range because there's so much to choose from and you are getting a mil-spec gun that has been tweaked with modern advancements so making comparison's can be very difficult. In the +1000 range you start getting into hand fitting, tuned triggers etc - that's where the fat and water start to separate.

snooperman
May 25, 2011, 04:51 PM
thousands through it in the past 30 years without a hiccup. A great gun.

CZ57
May 25, 2011, 04:53 PM
Haven't seen one yet but I've seen enough positives to want one. Ruger SR1911;)

Adam123
May 25, 2011, 06:22 PM
I am quite surprised (in a good way) at the amount of people mentioning Ruger's SR1911. I really do want one as well, but with a few more features (frame rail, ambi-safety etc). That and it was just released a month or two ago. I really hope they will soon start adding to the SR1911 platform.

jon_in_wv
May 25, 2011, 08:07 PM
Recently I had a chance to handle a Colt Custom Combat at a local shop. I believe it was very close to your price range and it seemed like a really nice 1911. I did, however, buy the American Classic 1911 next to it for about $500 less. I really don't think I gave up anything by buying the AC. Of course, if I was looking to spend more I would have bought the Colt.

Skylerbone
May 25, 2011, 08:50 PM
S&W, Colt, Sig or STI. Lots of great 1911s out there. Time to get off the computer and down to the gun store to hold a few and decide what you want.

threefeathers
May 25, 2011, 09:07 PM
I have Colts's which I love, Springfields which I love but I put my students in STI Spartans for Mas Ayoob's classes and they work perfectly.

Ramone
May 26, 2011, 12:58 AM
I'm backing a dark horse-

The Kahr/Auto Ordinance Thompson Custom:

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/PA-1TH_c.html

The fit and finish is flawless, the function superb (Mine is 11k+ rds todate without a hiccup), the customer service is awesome. It's got all the right stuff, and it's shiney.

hard to find, but right around US$700.00

rskent
May 26, 2011, 05:55 AM
Just get a Colt.

Dobe
May 26, 2011, 06:31 AM
I cannot believe that people are recommending the Ruger 1911. I have to ask how many of the people recommending it actually own the pistol, have shot the pistol or even held one. The Ruger may end up being a great 1911 but at this stage I am not sure we can make a call it.
This one right here. How many rounds does it take?

simonm2211
May 26, 2011, 06:33 AM
Another vote for the Ruger. And yes, I also own one.

jahwarrior
May 26, 2011, 06:37 AM
Taurus PT1911. i've owned one for a few years now, and it's the best gun i've ever owned.

rikman
May 26, 2011, 07:13 AM
I have 4 high end 1911ís and last year I got a Sig for about $950. It is a lot of gun for the money. Great quality and finish ,front strap checkering. Good trigger.

Tape
May 26, 2011, 11:39 AM
Taurus PT1911 It is a lot of gun for the money

ohwell
May 26, 2011, 04:22 PM
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee504/0hwell/005.jpg
Get the Ruger

Apocalypse-Now
May 26, 2011, 04:27 PM
Another vote for the Ruger. And yes, I also own one.

finally! someone recommending the sr1911 that actually owns one! :)

verdun59
May 26, 2011, 07:44 PM
Why not pay less and get the STI Spartan and spend the difference on ammo. Win win.

gdcpony
May 26, 2011, 07:46 PM
Of all the 1911's I have shot or owned to date the two that were the best "bargains" were a Kimber TLE RL II that I picked up for $890 new back when they first came out, (I think they are around $1200 now), and a Rock Island Armory piece my brother still uses (I got it for him for about $390). I have had better accuracy from more expensive pieces, but both of those proved accurate and reliable beyond their prices.

If bang for buck was my goal, a RIA would be on the list. I am getting the one back from my brother this weekend and hopefully it will still shoot right with my friends' Kimbers like it used to (I don't have mine anymore). I will see in a day or so.

If all out was my goal, I would look to save for the Kimber. It is better than the RIA, Colts, Springfields, or any other that I have had any experience with. I can't speak for the Ruger though as I have yet to see one and wouldn't shoot one if I was offered (personal reason and not the company's fault at all). I doubt there are many who can actually shoot as well as a Kimber can (actually I doubt many could shoot as good as any gun can), so going more expensive is generally a preference not a need.

Just my .02.

Racinbob
May 26, 2011, 07:56 PM
I'm in the hunt here. Ruger or S&W E-series. No mention yet of the E series.

Lateck
May 26, 2011, 09:19 PM
I'm new to the 1911 world but with my Ruger SR1911 I'm wondering why I did not buy one
before... Oh, yea, price or not American made or bad rap..
The SR1911 is a great shooter right out of the box and for less then $800.00!
Arizonan/American Made.

Lateck,

varoadking
May 26, 2011, 09:22 PM
Just get a Colt.

This ^^^^^^^^^

Skylerbone
May 26, 2011, 10:36 PM
Time for some pics. S&W E-Series, $741. American made, forged frame, SS, accurate and dependable.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=142214&d=1305479581

Don't know why people who have no interest in 1911s feel the need to interject uninformed opinion into an otherwise civil discussion. MillerTyme, you'll be glad to know that JMB spent nearly as many years perfecting the design as Glocks (or whatever you're touting) have been around. The March trials of 1911 saw 6,000 rounds fired through a preproduction model with zero malfunctions. That means no "ammo related", "shooter error", "bad batch of primers" excuses. Plenty of 1911 manufacturers make reliable pistols for well under $1500 and some do not. You don't hear us suggesting all polymer pistols are as cheap feeling as High Points or judging every revolver by Chiappa standards. Try to keep to The High Road.

helitack32f1
May 26, 2011, 11:38 PM
If you really want the most 1911 for $800 then it is hard to beat buying TWO ATI FX45's! Very nice, quality feeling guns and they seem to get good reviews. They also have a railed and optioned out version called the Thunderbolt. Not sure how much that one goes for though. Aside from those, go for the Ruger or wait till Ruger comes out with more variations that may suit your desires.

millertyme
May 27, 2011, 12:09 AM
Skylerbone,

I actually agree with your post as well as the posts of the other members who mentioned reasonably well-priced pistols (S&W E-series, SA, Ruger, etc). I'm not a Glock fan, let alone polymer-pistol fan. My comment was directed at the people who claim the 1911 to be the best platform out there but that one must spend over $1500 to obtain the benefits of it. FWIW, Glocks have been around for 30 years. JMB died in 1926 so I doubt he spent thirty years perfecting the 1911.

I would give a whole-hearted vote for the Ruger SR1911 or the SW E-Series. For what those pistols offer in their price ranges, especially with Ruger's CS, I don't think a guy could go wrong. And either of those pistols would do everything their $1500 counterparts do for 95% of the people who own the more expensive models. One of the older Colt's would likely do as well, but without some of the preferred options, like beavertail safeties and Heine or Novak sights.

Skylerbone
May 27, 2011, 12:32 AM
The 1911's predecessor began life in 1898. Many revisions later it became the Model of 1911.

Sorry for the miscommunication on what you wrote, perhaps I took it the wrong way.

As for the ATI suggestion I handled the Thunderbolt and it was very well fit (externally) but as it was a gun show I could not delve deeper. They are imported from the PI (SAM) with considerable manufacturing experience behind them but at the $750 asking price (again, gun show) I had to pass. Saw them online for $680 but again had to pass. A forged Sig with match barrel, rail and night sights is a tad over $800 and is a known quantity. While the ATI is clearly less expensive, I feel the value added in the Sig is well worth it. The standard GFX45 does seem like a good value if the OP wants a GI style 1911. All depends on the intended purpose.

Apocalypse-Now
May 27, 2011, 12:32 AM
skylerbone,

that's a pretty cheap price. do you happen to know if the alloy frame bobtailed e-series can be had for less than $800?

thanx

cpirtle
May 27, 2011, 12:39 AM
Pretty pathetic if you have to spend over $1500 to get a decent 1911. Makes it look like less of the "optimal" platform to me if it can't be had with the same level of accuracy and reliability as a gun under $1000.

My comment was directed at the people who claim the 1911 to be the best platform out there but that one must spend over $1500 to obtain the benefits of it.

I don't think anyone here has said that you have to spend $1500 to get a decent 1911.

1911's are like any niche item, you can take it to the most extremes and gradually you get less bang for your buck trying to squeeze that extra 1-2% worth of performance out of it.

With that said there are a lot of us who appreciate those finer touches and take pride in owning a 1911 that is tuned to perfection. Why some people think that's not okay is a mystery to me.

I have 1911's that range from $600 to $1600 and I love them all but there's definitely a difference and you can almost line them up in order of what I paid for each in terms of overall fit and finish and performance.

I can get 90% of a corvette by buying a Mustang GT but there's still no comparison. (other than a bunch of Mustang owners knocking Vette owners for spending so much)

ugaarguy
May 27, 2011, 03:29 AM
To me, part of the attraction of the 1911, in original form, is the ability to detail strip it using a cartridge rim, and the parts of the gun itself. I rarely detail strip my 1911s, but I do like to do a detailed cleaning of the extractor after every few range trips. This, to me, is where the internal extractor shines. I can remove it after using a simple punch (or even small hex key or screwdriver in a pinch) to remove the firing pin stop and gain access. The S&Ws and SIGs with their external extractors are well liked, but they require special tools to take down -I'll stick with my internal extractors. That's just an observation from a young curmudgeon in training ;) .

rellascout
May 27, 2011, 12:49 PM
My comment was directed at the people who claim the 1911 to be the best platform out there but that one must spend over $1500 to obtain the benefits of it. FWIW, Glocks have been around for 30 years. JMB died in 1926 so I doubt he spent thirty years perfecting the 1911.

I would give a whole-hearted vote for the Ruger SR1911 or the SW E-Series. For what those pistols offer in their price ranges, especially with Ruger's CS, I don't think a guy could go wrong. And either of those pistols would do everything their $1500 counterparts do for 95% of the people who own the more expensive models. One of the older Colt's would likely do as well, but without some of the preferred options, like beavertail safeties and Heine or Novak sights.

People too often equate value with the lowest price point. This is why people are suggesting guns like ATI. People think that the best value or the most for their money is directly related to the the lowest price point. There is nothing wrong with a low end RIA or ATI 1911 but they are what they.

IMHO they do not represent the best value or the most for your money. I personally think that Colt, Dan Wesson and Les Baer do.

Colts start at about $700 to $750 NIB if you buy smart. You can take that Colt out shoot a few thousand round through it and sell it for what you have in it. If you took care of it and did not abuse it.

The same thing can be said of a Dan Wesson. They used to be a steal when you could get a CBOB for about $900. If you were lucky enough to know who Bob Serva and Dan Wesson was back then you have a gun that cost less than $1000 but you could sell used today for about $1100. I paid $700 for a LNIB one years ago. It has thousands upon thousands of round through it and the only thing I have needed to replace is springs.

Les Baers to me represent the entry point into semi-custom no frills combat 1911s. They are an incredible value when you consider the time and materials that go into them. They are not cheap but they are what they are which is a tight, accurate, long lasting workhorse of a 1911 and you will have to spend almost 30% more to get to a Wilson or Ed Brown to get better.

This does not mean you cannot get a lot out of lower end 1911s. If you are only shooting a few hundred rounds a year any 1911 will do. I think that when you get to this level not only do they hold up, shoot well, shoot accurately but they also hold their value. The lower end guns do not. In the case of Colt & DW they sometimes even go up even if you shoot them. That IMHO is value and getting the most for your money.

I could sell my DW for $1000 today which would have netted me $300 + over 4 years of shooting..... :)

YMMV

G27RR
May 27, 2011, 12:55 PM
Springfield Range Officer

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n634/G27RR/SARO%20LD%20Grips/IMG_2063.jpg

Skylerbone
May 27, 2011, 01:21 PM
Yeah, external extractors are horrible! I can't tell you how many Glock, H&K, Sig, Kahr and S&W guys I hear praying their favorite G17 or P220 will soon get a self rescue internal extractor soon. Then they can fit a spare, stick it in their pocket and ask for a time out to field strip while the bad guy waits.

Unless you know how to adjust that internal extractor and are somewhere that doesn't matter (the range) a stoppage is still a stoppage. That's when the back up comes out.

Nothing is 100% indefinitely. When properly implemented as Smith and Sig have, they are very reliable.

ugaarguy
May 27, 2011, 01:35 PM
Yeah, external extractors are horrible! I can't tell you how many Glock, H&K, Sig, Kahr and S&W guys I hear praying their favorite G17 or P220 will soon get a self rescue internal extractor soon. Then they can fit a spare, stick it in their pocket and ask for a time out to field strip while the bad guy waits.
I never said anything about fitting a new extractor in a firefight. My comments were about the IE preference for my post range cleaning routine. You're putting words in my mouth.
Unless you know how to adjust that internal extractor and are somewhere that doesn't matter (the range) a stoppage is still a stoppage. That's when the back up comes out.

No kidding. I would never have thought of that. Again, quit putting words in my mouth, unless you can show where I said anything about changing extractors in a firefight.
Nothing is 100% indefinitely. When properly implemented as Smith and Sig have, they are very reliable.Again, you're putting words in my mouth. Where did I say external extractors aren't reliable? That's right I never said they aren't reliable.

However, since you're in a defensive mood would you care to explain why S&W machines out the slots for the Swarz safety in all their frames. Why do they put an unnecessary gap in the inside of the frame on the E-series guns?

rellascout
May 27, 2011, 01:42 PM
However, since you're in a defensive mood would you care to explain why S&W machines out the slots for the Swarz safety in all their frames. Why do they put an unnecessary gap in the inside of the frame on the E-series guns?

Economy of scale...

Skylerbone
May 27, 2011, 02:44 PM
There's nothing defensive in my post. I stated external extractors work when properly implemented.

I don't know why the frame is machined out, I have theorized it has something to do with economy of scales and eventually including California customers looking for an E-Series. Perhaps they haven't reprogrammed yet. Ask them.

I put no words in your mouth, I stated my opinion that an external extractor is a valid choice. You prefer the "original" internal and detail cleaning needing only a few tools. I prefer a squirt of Gunscrubber and being done.

Have a look at all those pre1911 models upon which the pistol is based and take note of the "original" Colt automatic pistol extractor.

I'm not sure when any of this became about you...

Skylerbone
May 27, 2011, 02:47 PM
That was quick rella! I guess I type too much.

rellascout
May 27, 2011, 03:01 PM
That was quick rella! I guess I type too much.

LOL

I think you gave a much more meaningful and detailed explaination.

I took your other post as a joke. I personally am not big fan of the external extractor on 1911s. I have owned S&Ws and a Sig GSR which had them and they worked but I perfer the internal more for looks and tradition than anything else.

My GSRs exctractor pin did walk out on me. I had to get the factory to repair and replace it.

Apocalypse-Now
May 27, 2011, 03:01 PM
Why do they put an unnecessary gap in the inside of the frame on the E-series guns?

what unnecessary gap?

rellascout
May 27, 2011, 03:03 PM
what unnecessary gap?

I believe he is referring to the gap which is needed for the schwartz saftey which is still present on the frame of E series guns even though they are "70 series" guns which do not have a drop safety system.

Apocalypse-Now
May 27, 2011, 03:13 PM
^^ahh i see.

i wasn't sure he if was maybe referring to the frame rail gap some 1911's have on the left side.

like you guys mentioned before, it must be more economical, rather than machining the e-series different than all other models. always comes down to the bucks lol

Cards81fan
May 27, 2011, 03:41 PM
I personally am not big fan of the external extractor on 1911s. I have owned S&Ws and a Sig GSR which had them and they worked but I perfer the internal more for looks and tradition than anything else.

This is my view as well. Nothing questioning the reliability of them, but it's just not following the 1911 design IMHO with an external extractor. Again, not that veering from the original design is necessarily a bad thing (look at beaver tails, mag wells, rails, and other tacticool stuff they do nowadays).

I guess I got a Series 70 Repro for a reason :D

rellascout
May 27, 2011, 03:47 PM
If I was in the market right now for this gun I would stretch the budget just a bit. There is a guy on the Sig Forum selling a LNIB Dan Wesson RZ Heritage with fixed sights, front night dot for $975 shipped. That the a lot of 1911 for under $1000.

Smaug
May 27, 2011, 04:55 PM
Hi crackshot,

I'd probably see if I could get a used Colt Gold Cup in that range. They list for $1400, so that shouldn't be out of the question.

If you'd rather have something more historically accurate, I've seen a Colt 100th Anniversary 1911 for $1100. Outstanding level of finish; just a basic, but well-built gun.

txgunsuscg
May 27, 2011, 06:44 PM
I own Colts, Springfields, and a Remington. I recommend any of them. Only two of them cost more than $800 (a Colt XSE and a Springfield I had Novak work on). Also, all but two of them are as close to GI as their manufacturers make. I think the Springfields and the Remington were under $700, actually....

clutch
May 27, 2011, 06:58 PM

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n634/G27RR/SARO%20LD%20Grips/IMG_2063.jpg

How many rounds do you have though it? How well does it shoot?

I have one on order but my dealer is small time (low volume and markup) so it may be a while before it ships.

Clutch

rogertc1
May 27, 2011, 07:17 PM
RIA imports from the Philippines (Of course an anti-gun rights country)

G27RR
May 27, 2011, 08:43 PM
How many rounds do you have though it? How well does it shoot?

I have one on order but my dealer is small time (low volume and markup) so it may be a while before it ships.

Clutch

In short, it shoots very, very well. I am up to 800 rounds or so.

I wrote a review here...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=578842

and a followup where I changed the sights for personal preference and concealed carry...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=581373

It now looks like this...

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n634/G27RR/SAROHEDDPT800600.jpg

ckone
May 28, 2011, 12:04 AM
For $800 or under I'd say your best bet is an STI Spartan which would have you around $200 under budget, compare one directly to any other $1000-1200 1911 out there and it'll be as good, if not better than all but one: an STI Trojan (about $1000, dollar for dollar THE best 1911 for tge money period, better than guns costing 3 times as much).
The Springfield "Range Officer" is almost as good as a Spartan but will eat up all $800 of your budget and will not really be worth it compared to what you get in the fantastic Armscor/STI hybrid that is the Spartan.

Reading all these posts I just gotta say it: the Ruger SR1911 is a POS, if you think that's a good 1911 for the money you've got to be kidding, it's half the gun a $400+ RIA /Armscor Tactical is for twice the money.

Speaking of the RIA's, at around $400 for their Tactical model you could add all EGW, STI, SV/Infinity or Cylinder & Slide fire control stuff (sear, disconnector, hammer) which is top-shelf, put in any safeties you like, any trigger you like, whatever grips you like, and better sights for under $800 that would out perform every model mentioned so far up to twice your budget and be YOURS, just as you want it. If you plan on shooting it more than shining it, this is the best way to go by far, get a good base gun and upgrade as you choose and can afford to, 1911 parts a actually fairly cheap and none of the upgrades are rocket-science, especially in the era of YouTube and Google.

P.S. - Those who think an external extractor is inferior somehow are 100% wrong. It's understandable if one doesn't like it ascetically or due to the break from tradition, but understand this: for pure performance/function the best 1911 extractor available is an AFTEC (costs about $80 plus one needs to have it installed) which uses springs for tension and to avoid wear, guess what, it mimics an external extractor which is the same thing except more robust and reliable. Now, the problem is that for whatever reason tge same 1911's that feature external extractors these days also have firing-pin-blocks too, which actually do suck and mess up a good 1911 design...

jahwarrior
May 28, 2011, 01:13 AM
other 1911's i've shot, and impressed me were:

Metro Arms Classic. it's another Filipino 1911, basically a souped up RIA. it's almsot as nice as my Taurus, for about $200 less.

Springfield M1911A1. my girlfriend has one in stainless steel. brand new, you can find them for $600-800. used, around $400. it shoots like cotton candy.

RIA Tactical. my buddy bought his 2 years ago. when he first got it, there was a problem with the extractor. he called the company, and the president of the company took his call, got his info, and not only sent him a new extractor, but a box containing every spare part he'd most likely need over the next few years. he then called him a few weeks later, to make sure he got it, and to see if the gun was working properly, which it was. i've only ever heard of that kind of customer service from Smith & Wesson, when i had issues with a Sigma i had. you won't get that from Colt.

Skylerbone
May 28, 2011, 06:11 AM
Ck, what was it about shooting the Ruger 1911 you found so objectionable? Also, for that AFTEC extractor, where can I find one, seems even the high end companies have overlooked it (to save $$$?).

P.S. The S&W E-Series does not have a firing pin block but it does have an external extractor.

P.P.S. Find a Sig 1911 and set it side by side with an RIA and tell me honestly which trigger is lighter, crisper and preferred by you. It has a firing pin block AND a very nice trigger.

jahwarrior
May 28, 2011, 07:42 AM
off topic, but Sig 1911s are effin hot.

ckone
May 28, 2011, 09:15 AM
Ck, what was it about shooting the Ruger 1911 you found so objectionable? Also, for that AFTEC extractor, where can I find one, seems even the high end companies have overlooked it (to save $$$?).

P.S. The S&W E-Series does not have a firing pin block but it does have an external extractor.

P.P.S. Find a Sig 1911 and set it side by side with an RIA and tell me honestly which trigger is lighter, crisper and preferred by you. It has a firing pin block AND a very nice trigger.
Shooting the Ruger my impression was just simply "meh", there's just nothing particularly great about them, the parts and controls are all low-end and kind of poorly fit, maybe it's just the fact that the dumb-a$$ at my local gun shop kept repeating how it's "made in the USA" over and over... I'm all for buying made in the USA, but overpaying for a mediocre slide, frame, and barrel filled with junk MIM parts that pretty much all need to be replaced is not exactly my idea of patriotism, that's all.

Really, compare an STI Spartan to the Ruger and try to explain to me what possibly justifies the Ruger being $200 more..? The STI's firing control internals and hammer are S-7 tool steel, the trigger is the same one that comes on their high-end models, but most importantly it's put together properly, 3 to 4 times as good as any of the Rugers I've seen, the frames, slides, and barrels come from RIA/Armscor in the Philippines and the guns are put together there by their best gunsmiths, then shipped to STI in Texas (which is in the USA I think) for final inspection and additional fitting and tuning as needed. If anything the Spartan should be $200 more than the Ruger...

Here is where you can get an AFTEC: http://www.brownells.com/1/1/20564-1911-auto-advanced-competition-extractor-fits-45-acp-millenium-custom-ii.html

That's cool about the S&W E-series having the external extractor but not having the firing pin blocks, I was not aware of that. That's actually a great set-up for someone who wants a really reliable 1911 that has to see some adverse conditions.

As, for A Sig 1911's trigger being any better than an RIA's, or any other 1911's for that matter, frankly, that just sounds naive.
How good a particular 1911's trigger is has absolutely zero to do with which manufacturer it came frame, in fact, at the price-point we're discussing it has WAY more to do with luck than anything else. A 1911 gets a good trigger through know-how and quality parts mixed with a little luck, period. If the fire control parts parts are fitted well and fit together correctly, all rough surfaces are polished and the sear spring is bent just-so, then the trigger will be good, it has nothing to do with the name on the slide. Quality parts add to "crispness" and the lightness that can be attained as well as how long the trigger will remain consistent and stay that way. Even if a Sig 1911's trigger is the best you've ever felt, if it doesn't have a quality tool steel sear and hammer then it's going to be mushy and crummy after 3-5000rds (or even dry-fires) and it'll need new parts to be redone.

My point is that it seems many shooters just don't realize that the majority of 1911 parts are actually fairly cheap, even the top-shelf stuff, and 99% of installing/upgrading them doesn't require a gunsmith... so overpaying for what is really a lower-end 1911 when really all you need is a quality frame, slide, and barrel is foolish. JMHO.

Sky
May 28, 2011, 10:06 AM
For $800 you could almost get two RIAs or two American classic lls. 45 acp and 9mm in the 1911 are great shooters and you could get one of each. Kinda depends on how many rounds down range you plan on shooting each week and or your intended purpose. The only RIA I have seen have problems feeding was a full size that after I got the owner to polish the feed ramp and change the mag their problem was fixed. Most of the above mentioned work out of the box and the owners I know are pleased with their purchase. I do like the finish on the American Classic ll better than the RIA but both seem to keep their owners happy. A couple of LEOs in Houston who had Kimbers after seeing and shooting the American Classic ll swore they were going to pick one up for a second 1911. Like everything you can get a cheap *** or a really expensive *** that is why it is always best to find a place that lets you shoot before purchase.

Internal extractor +1

I hear buy more expensive for resale all the time but those I know who have had to sell their RIAs have been able to sell for what they paid for them and in some cases a few dollars more. You think you need a pistol for HD and are on a budget are you going to spend $1500 or $400 for something that works when you pull the trigger?

Again more expensive usually means better quality parts and something that should last longer between fixes or parts replacement. However very few shoot enough to be ever confronted with "time to replace an extractor" much less something else. Parts are not that expensive even if! Price of ammo in 9mm versus 45acp plus commonality of weapon might be another consideration for the purchase of two instead of one weapon.

I agree with many of the above posted recommendations; all seem to get the job done; my post is more of "for your consideration" type post.

Skylerbone
May 28, 2011, 01:24 PM
Sigs custom shop turns out all their 1911s and the MIM part count is 0. I do understand people wanting specific parts for their 1911, Heine sights, memory groove grip safeties and the like but consider this: custom shop Sig, forged frame, premium internal parts, match barrel, beavertail GS, 4.5 lb. Match trigger, dehorned, night sights, excellent fit and finish, $822. Comparing it to say a $500 RIA and adding parts? You'll never be money ahead and unless you've got some considerable skill, tools and time you'll likely just have 2 parts piles. I dare say the Sig will also fare better on the used market. I don't consider myself naive. I've felt better triggers than the Sig in numerous custom shop 1911s (Harrison, Clark, Springfield CS, etc...) but few in it's price range come close. I'll also disagree about 99% of 1911 parts not needing a smith for installation. If any 6 year old could do it then every factory example should be perfect and there wouldn't be a custom market. I've fit a few parts before and the 1911 is not a Glock.

Heretic
May 28, 2011, 02:05 PM
I've got a Desert Eagle 1911G and I just love it. $650 or so. Tight, accurate, all the things you need and none of the crap you don't. If you can get past the billboard on the left of the slide, it's a great piece.

P>S> was hitting empty 12 g hulls at 10 yards easy. Never had a 1911 that could do that before.

9mmepiphany
May 28, 2011, 03:08 PM
Sigs custom shop turns out all their 1911s and the MIM part count is 0
I think that information is a little dated. The current info on the Sigforum is that there has been MIM in their 1911s since they went to in-house production...since they corrected the original spec problems

Rob96
May 28, 2011, 06:16 PM
RIA imports from the Philippines (Of course an anti-gun rights country)

On paper it might be anit-gun rights but on the street I saw plenty. Trike drivers with M-16's, regular people with .38 revolvers and a plethora of 1911's. Shooting sports is pretty popular over there with the people that can afford it and they love the 1911.

UranusDestiny
May 28, 2011, 06:21 PM
On paper it might be anit-gun rights but on the street I saw plenty. Trike drivers with M-16's, regular people with .38 revolvers and a plethora of 1911's. Shooting sports is pretty popular over there with the people that can afford it and they love the 1911.

Gotta put it all in perspective. You can still acquire weapons legally, and you can still get licenses to carry legally. There are lots of regulations and rules and other crap, and most people don't go the legal route since its expensive, but the fact is this: you can legally get full autos, and you can legally carry a weapon if you're willing to jump through the hoops. Hell, you can get a permit to carry a full auto, I remember reading an article about a journalist who packed an UZI (no such thing as a semi auto uzi in the phils) to protect himself against potential assassins, since it isn't uncommon for reporters to be targeted by hitmen

I can't think of very many non american nations that allow CCW, and I can't think of very many that allow full auto weapons either. And I definitely don't know any nations that allow CCW of full auto weapons.

EDIT: Found the article: http://www.ajr.org/article.asp?id=3969

Hacker15E
May 28, 2011, 07:10 PM
I don't understand all the love for the Ruger in this thread. Is it because it's new?

If it were me, I'd either buy a GI RIA or GI Springfield used, then spend the other $400 customizing it out with exactly the parts I wanted...and still have a little $ left over for ammo.

helitack32f1
May 28, 2011, 07:19 PM
I don't understand all the love for the Ruger in this thread. Is it because it's new?

If it were me, I'd either buy a GI RIA or GI Springfield used, then spend the other $400 customizing it out with exactly the parts I wanted...and still have a little $ left over for ammo.
I suspect the Ruger love comes from the fact that it is a Ruger, it is very inexpensive compared to what people thought it would be, and it is 100% made in the USA, unlike the two guns you mentioned.

jon_in_wv
May 29, 2011, 08:27 AM
And Ruger has a reputation for building quality firearms. I don't understand why people would bash the choice if they don't have any real experience with it either.

Heretic
May 29, 2011, 10:20 AM
I keep hearing people slamming MIM parts. I did some serious research on MIM. Yea they had a little trouble working the bugs out of the process 20 years ago, but come on, get with the times.You guys that own AR's know that they're not the same crap they were in the sixty's.

rellascout
May 29, 2011, 10:38 AM
I keep hearing people slamming MIM parts. I did some serious research on MIM. Yea they had a little trouble working the bugs out of the process 20 years ago, but come on, get with the times.You guys that own AR's know that they're not the same crap they were in the sixty's.

The problem with MIM is the motivation behind its use. It is not there to make the gun better. It is there to make the gun cheaper. Like any process, forged, cast etc.... there are good and there are bad parts produced using these processes.

Kimber was the first to really experiment with MIM and in the beginning did a excellent job with it. Problems came up when they continued to squeeze more and more pennies out of the process. They reduced the quality to the point of failure. IMHO this is where MIM parts get their bad rap.

Heretic
May 29, 2011, 02:54 PM
My DE 1911 has MIM parts. When I go shooting, I pound the brass out of it. I don't see any unusual wear or other problems. In your guys learned opinions, should I consider changing them out?
When they're done properly, they're 98% the density of forged steel. They harden just the same. I think they're less prone to manufacturing stress too. Is there something I don't know that I should?
Does anyone know the failure rate?

rellascout
May 29, 2011, 03:25 PM
I would not trade them out until they fail. Is this a defensive weapon?

Heretic
May 29, 2011, 04:28 PM
It is my HD pistol, yea. Thats why I train so hard with it. Any part in particular more vunerable to breackage?

Tape
May 29, 2011, 04:54 PM
MIM parts. When they're done properly, they're 98% the density of forged steel.not true, the density of mim parts is 95-98% not 98% density of forged steel, not even close.

Heretic
May 29, 2011, 05:37 PM
That may be true. I got that info from a CO. that makes MIM parts, and I'm sure they're going to try to make them look as good as they can. So, density of 95-98% of what?

Know what, nevermind, this thread is supposed to be about pistols, not MIM.

Tape
May 29, 2011, 06:58 PM
It depends what material is being injected, cast, stainless, aluminium, carbon etc, this is why there's a 2 to 5% deficit in MIM parts and also the "density" in this case injected "pressure" into the mold required for each part which is nowhere near forged pressure. The pressure is determined by the engineering department.

Tomcat47
May 29, 2011, 07:12 PM
I think Taurus PT1911 offers a lot for the money.

I have had a MIM failure on my PT1911 and have replaced it with aftermarket competition style part. (slide stop) purchased a few extras actually from $22 dollar Swenson extended, A Ed Brown Hardcore $39 to a $60 Wilson Bulletproof. And Taurus had me a replacement in 3 days!

The Swenson extended is my favorite so far! And now as far as parts go the Slide stop is for sure covered!

I am at around 400 rounds now and still running smooth no failures to feed/fire/eject!

simonm2211
May 29, 2011, 08:31 PM
Reading all these posts I just gotta say it: the Ruger SR1911 is a POS, if you think that's a good 1911 for the money you've got to be kidding, it's half the gun a $400+ RIA /Armscor Tactical is for twice the money.

I have an SR1911 and an RIA tactical. Both great value for their price, IMO. The Ruger trigger and finish is better and is overall a better gun. Sure, this is just my experience, but it is based on putting my own hard-earned down for them.

Just saying...

jon_in_wv
May 30, 2011, 12:33 PM
not true, the density of mim parts is 95-98% not 98% density of forged steel, not even close.

??? 95-97% is pretty darned close to 98% and 98% iS 98%. I don't think I get what you are saying here.

May 30, 2011, 04:25 PM
Short version: MIM heavy pistols will generally have inferior fitting compared to high-end production, semi-custom or custom 1911s, so not only are the parts inferior, those parts are subjected to more abuse. Out of spec frames will also increase the stress on various parts of the pistol e.g. the lower lugs on the barrel. In other words, you really can and do get what you pay for. I prefer to pay for design rather than rely on luck, but even then, mistakes are possible.

I don't want any MIM 1911 parts that are subjected to high stress and fatigue. The MSH, grip safety, magazine catch and sights can be cast or MIM but everything else has to be machined from bar stock or at least quality castings. Luckily for us, we don't need to settle for anything since most of the parts are easily swapped.

Why do people have a problem with the concept of MIM? :confused: MIM is used in 1911s for one reason and one reason only ... cost reduction. MIM parts can be made rapidly with a high degree of accuracy and precision thereby requiring less fitting. That's all there is to it. They're not superior to quality bar stock or cast parts, they're not even equal. What they are is good enough for many end users. Most of us know that MIM parts can last and be reliable if they're made properly and subjected to "typical" use but that's a big "if". If you're shooting 5,000 to 10,000 rounds per year under high stress conditions such as matches or classes, you're going to see more failures with MIM heavy pistols. Not just because of the MIM parts, but also because MIM heavy pistols are production pistols with less fitting, so many of the parts take a beating in a way that they don't in a semi-custom 1911. Sure, you may encounter an owner that claims 20,000 rounds without a failure but that may be due to favorable tolerance stacking rather than design.

Well, enough yacking .... here's a cross section of an Ed Brown thumb safety (the pin) compared to the equivalent Kimber part. The Ed Brown part is most likely cast whereas the Kimber part is definitely MIM. Bear in mind that a safety machined from bar stock would most likely be even more dense.

Cross section of Ed Brown thumb safety pin at 500X

http://128.171.62.162/hawthorn-engineering/thr/pistols/1911/mim/images/a_3.jpg

Cross section of Kimber thumb safety pin at 500X

http://128.171.62.162/hawthorn-engineering/thr/pistols/1911/mim/images/b_3.jpg

Tape
May 30, 2011, 04:53 PM
1858, thanks for the great pictures, just looking at the mimber part you can imagine the potential for cracks, domino effect.

May 30, 2011, 05:38 PM
just looking at the mimber part you can imagine the potential for cracks, domino effect.

For the record, I'm in no way a Kimber basher and I realize that MIM serves a purpose. My first 1911 was a Kimber, as was my latest, a Stainless Pro Raptor II. I shoot a Kimber in USPSA single stack matches every other week and have a pair of Ed Browns and a pair of Dan Wessons. Also, I've shot other production and semi-custom 1911s so I'm slowly starting to get a better grasp of what's important and what's not. I figured out that I LOVE the 1911 platform, in part because it opens up a whole DIY and tinkering world that SIG doesn't offer me. I should clarify that there's no DIY with the Ed Browns. They arrive just as they should (in part because you can order features that you like) ... shoot, rinse and repeat. Kimbers allow me to pretend that I'm a gunsmith and I like that. Real gunsmiths such as 1911Tuner may shake their heads and mutter profanities in my direction from time to time, but the important thing is that I'm learning and having fun in the process. As long as I realize that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and that I don't delude myself into thinking that I'm a 1911 expert then all is good. To that end, I try not to recommend 1911s to anyone and any posts pertaining to the 1911 should be come with a suitable disclaimer. I'll leave 1911 recommendations to eminently more qualified individuals such as 9mmepiphany ... easily my favorite moderator.

jon_in_wv
May 30, 2011, 06:02 PM
That makes more sense than someone saying 95-98% is nowhere close the 98%!

The bottom line is how hard does the part NEED to be. People will say a pistol has to have a forged frame and not cast yet it can work with a plastic or aluminum frame just fine. I think some parts would do fine with MIM and its used extensively in a ton of fireams. Recently I bought a American Classic 1911. I plan on changing the slide stop to a good standard style part but I don't think I'll change out anything else unless I find a need for it. I think there is also a lot to be said for the quality of the cast or MIM parts. I'm sure there are really good ones, and really bad ones.

crackshotsdad
June 12, 2011, 12:03 PM
I guess I should have been a little more forthcoming with the info. The 1911 I'm looking for will be a present for my dad. He's a Viet nam vet. in his 60's and used to be a drill instructor in the army. Suffice it to say, he's old school!! I'm looking for the most 'quality' in fit and finish I can find in an $800.00-$900.00 1911. He learned and trained others (including me) on basic 1911-a1 platforms. In his mind it just needs to go BANG every time he pulls the trigger! So reliability is paramount, but I'd kinda' like it to look 'pretty' as well.

Rob96
June 12, 2011, 12:25 PM
I would get him a Colt.

Skylerbone
June 12, 2011, 03:23 PM
CSD, Rob is right. Knowing that bit of info is a game changer. My father enlisted at 17 and spent 18 months there earning his stripes. When it was time for a 1911 there was only one name on his list: Colt. In his mind, regardless of any previous history, everything else was just a copy. Old school mentality is that it worked and kept them safe. He still won't warm up to my AR, once bitten...forever shy.

Ala Dan
June 12, 2011, 03:32 PM
Smith & Wesson SW 1911 [sku# 108282]~! ;) :cool: :D

larryh1108
June 13, 2011, 09:07 AM
To make him feel warm and fuzzy it has to say Colt. Anything else may insult him. It also should not have any of the toys you see now like beavertails, mag wells, etc. Anything else would be "ok" but a Colt will light his fire.

Heretic
June 13, 2011, 09:45 AM
Colt schmolt, just get him one with the US GOVERNMENT PROPERTY rollmark.

SSN Vet
June 13, 2011, 01:23 PM
if you want a 1911 that runs..... 100% right out of the box, I'd suggest getting a NIB Series 1991 Colt. They can be had for ~$800

Kiln
June 13, 2011, 01:47 PM
Springfield's 1911 pistols are awesome, one of the better ones I've shot. They also have that lifetime warranty which I've heard is excellent. Your experience may vary here but stay clear of Kimber, for the price you pay you might expect a functional pistol but I've fired two and neither worked well through the range session. Once again just my opinion but from the experience I've had with them they're just not a good gun for the insane price you pay.

I've also heard alot of praise from the guys at the local gun stores about Rock Island's 1911 too but haven't ever gotten to use one myself.

BRE346
June 13, 2011, 06:28 PM
Why would I buy this gun?

'Cause it's a 1911, it's $599 at Academy and

It wuz the purtiest thing in the whole case.

Should I shoot it or boot it?

soapboxpreacher
June 13, 2011, 11:44 PM
Do what I did, call a gunsmith or go to your local shop and ask their smith what they see repaired the most. My local shop is one of the biggest in the state. Their smith said they see more kimbers in than any other 1911. To be fair they also sell more kimbers then any other 1911. They like the springfields the best. I am also quite a fan of the springfields too.

As for those that bash the Ruger. They have (4) SR1911 as rental guns and have had every type of ammo through them not to mention ever mag in them (wilsons included)...not one issue and as new as these guns are they still have had far more rounds thru them then most of us put thru our in a lifetime.

To my surprise I went in to buy a SW1911. External extractor done right. Fit and finish nice great warranty and customer service that is among the best But also it is a very accurate 1911 one of the best out for a stock 5"! I compared the 2 and yes I think the SW1911 was a better gun but when I can get the ruger at 600 and the SW at 865 the difference can buy a lot of ammo! The were very close and the surprising thing about the ruger was how tight it was...and I am talking about rental gun that has a few thousand round through it and certainly not cleaned well! I absolutely couldnt believe it...so I checked another one...as tight as the first. And both tighter then the SW1911. Yes it has MIM parts and yes the frame is cast. But ruger seems to know how to cast. And at its price point being stainless skeletonized trigger, hammer, novaks, etc this is a very good bang for the buck. RIA and STI arent in stainless and not plated! Knock it all you want you even get a very good customer service that backs it. But my favorite...is 100% american made. I love the smith but as much as I will use this the SR1911 is more then fine! I will put on a soft rubber finger groove hogue and a hienie or 10-8 rear and I am done. I dont collect nor do a plan on competition shooting with it so this is more for a fun 1911 for recreation. For most it is a great choice! I will eventually save for a Dan Wesson or an Ed Brown for now this is a great way to learn about a 1911 and not worry about banging it up or breaking something. Just my 2 cents

forddave
June 14, 2011, 06:54 AM
got my ruger sr1911 for $610 + tax- money well spent.fit and finish is on parr with my mid 70's production colt. first 3 mags had a jam every other shot, after that it has eaten every thing, 250 rds of ball(win,fed) 100 rds of rem hollow points and also 100 rds of gun show reloads. i would put it up against any current production gun out there right now and yes that includes those at a higher price point. don't like mim parts? swap them out and you still have alot of money left over for ammo.myself, if it aint broke not gonna fix it.

whalerman
September 3, 2011, 01:26 AM
Haven't heard much about the new Remington R1. How do you guys feel about that offering? I'm here to learn. I've been reading the posts and appreciate all the free education.

Fishslayer
September 3, 2011, 04:52 AM
The Ruger may end up being a great 1911 but at this stage I am not sure we can make a call it.

I'd be happy to step up & be one of Ruger's beta testers! Sure, it's a "new" gun but the platform's been around for a little while (;)) and there aren't too many real secrets to 'em. It doesn't appear that Ruger has tried to do anything earthshaking. Looks like a nice, simple handgun.

...that unfortunately will not be offered behind the tofu curtain. :(

MICHAEL T
September 4, 2011, 12:14 AM
Colt, Colt.

Skylerbone
September 4, 2011, 12:46 AM
Sure, it's a "new" gun but the platform's been around for a little while () and there aren't too many real secrets to 'em.

Unfortunately, even with all its secrets laid bare for the past century, there are any number of manufacturers who disregard specs and ignore what used to work. I have read reviews that point toward Ruger taking the right path with their offering but I wouldn't be too quick to say that about every 1911.

bds
September 4, 2011, 02:16 AM
I'm basically looking for as much 1911 as I can get for around $800.00

Sig 1911 Railed TACPAC (http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-tacpac.aspx) - $850 (What I paid but seen some online for less).

- 1911 Nitron rail pistol
- CPL-1 Compact pistol laser
- 1911 Holster with integrated mag pouch
- Two (2) magazines
- Speed loader

- All stainless steel frame and slide
- Premium match grade barrel, hammer/sear set and trigger
- Finished in black Nitron
- Novak contrast sights
- Checkered front strap and mainspring housing
- Ergo Grip XT Extreme-Use Grips
- Hand-fitted to insure reliability and performance
- Frame and slide are de-horned for comfortable full-size carry

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=148544&stc=1&d=1315116975

bds
September 4, 2011, 03:11 AM
I guess I should have been a little more forthcoming with the info. The 1911 I'm looking for will be a present for my dad. He's a Viet nam vet. in his 60's and used to be a drill instructor in the army. Suffice it to say, he's old school!! I'm looking for the most 'quality' in fit and finish I can find in an $800.00-$900.00 1911. He learned and trained others (including me) on basic 1911-a1 platforms. In his mind it just needs to go BANG every time he pulls the trigger! So reliability is paramount, but I'd kinda' like it to look 'pretty' as well.
Sorry, I just read the rest of voluminous 5 pages of thread.

For your "old school" dad, Colt may be the "correct" option.

If you are looking for accuracy around $800-$900, Springfield Range Officer may be a good option. If you can stretch to $1000, then STI Trojan.

I would recommend the Sig 1911 for accuracy/price around $800 if he doesn't mind external extractor.

If he doesn't mind external extractor and rail, then how about Sig 1911 Scorpion (http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-scorpion.aspx)? It's in your price range.

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/catalog/product/1911-Scorpion-Detail-bty-dwn.jpg

fatmanonabike
January 4, 2012, 10:22 PM
I'm bumping 300 rounds with my SR1911, glitchless. Stainless wouldn't have been my first choice. Very happy with its performance. Now if I can just improve mine...

vvanders
January 4, 2012, 10:41 PM
Another vote for the E-Series here, mine's been flawless and couldn't be happier.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7147/6450403739_2346385599_z.jpg (http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7147/6450403739_bf6f665855_o.jpg)

RoboDuck
January 4, 2012, 11:48 PM
Colt , Kimber or Springfield .

War Eagle
January 5, 2012, 09:08 AM
I asssure you that you will not find a 1911 with the fit and features of this pistol for such a great price (seen them for $600-$650 in stores): http://gunzoo.com/gun/STI/Spartan-45-ACP

I've shot both the 9mm and .45 versions and they are amazing. The action is buttery smooth and it is insanely accurate and reliable.

powwowell
January 5, 2012, 09:17 AM
Metro Arms American Classic II might be the best value in 1911s. I have one that is an absolute delight. The gun is tight and very accurate. Great blue finish and three dot sights. The blue finish and the sights, are why I picked this over another RIA. The three RIAs that I previously owned, were fantastic also. The latest edition of American Handgunner magazine has an article titled "Beer Budget 1911s" on page 50. Metro Arms American Classic II is on page 88. The author liked everything about it, except the grips. The author states that he "eventually bought this gun".

Madcap_Magician
January 5, 2012, 10:29 AM
I am highly interested in where all these people saying "Oh, there's a TON of LNIB Browns, Baers, and Wilsons for $1500, I see them all the time..." are buying their guns.

rellascout
January 5, 2012, 10:42 AM
I am highly interested in where all these people saying "Oh, there's a TON of LNIB Browns, Baers, and Wilsons for $1500, I see them all the time..." are buying their guns.

I see them all the time. You just have to know where to look and have cash in hand and a FFL ready to receive the gun if you are buying outside your state.

I paid about $1300 for my Les Baer TRS LNIB...

I saw a Les Baer CCO model go for about $1400 last month.

There is a UTC right now in the for sale section here for $1700.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=632337

jahwarrior
January 5, 2012, 11:30 AM
Metro Arms American Classic II might be the best value in 1911s. I have one that is an absolute delight. The gun is tight and very accurate. Great blue finish and three dot sights. The blue finish and the sights, are why I picked this over another RIA. The three RIAs that I previously owned, were fantastic also. The latest edition of American Handgunner magazine has an article titled "Beer Budget 1911s" on page 50. Metro Arms American Classic II is on page 88. The author liked everything about it, except the grips. The author states that he "eventually bought this gun".

i agree with this statement. my girlfriend had one, and it was a joy to shoot. she paid $300 for it. we're looking to get another one.

ET
January 5, 2012, 12:00 PM

This is what I ended up with after my search for my first 1911. I didn't need a carry gun or a gun for the nightstand. I needed a 1911 that performed well on the range as a competition gun. So the RO was perfect for me. There are so many good 1911s out there at this price. You would have a hard time screwing this up.

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc435/ET-1/th_P1010126.jpg (http://s1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc435/ET-1/?action=view&current=P1010126.jpg)

If you enjoyed reading about "Most 1911 for the money" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!