NFA questions.

PDA

LHRGunslinger
May 25, 2011, 08:39 AM
I'm thinking of getting a full-auto AK at some point, and seeing as it is so expensive I have a few questions before I even THINK of committing to such a large investment.

1) What kind of modifications can I make to the weapon legally?

2) If the barrel gets shot out can I replace it with another barrel & bolt assembly of the same size or can I do whatever?

3) If for whatever reason it kabooms on me can I get a new receiver or does my money kaboom too?

If you enjoyed reading about "NFA questions." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mboylan
May 25, 2011, 07:59 PM
1. Almost anything really, as long as the receiver remains mostly intact. A suppressor is another $200 tax stamp. Barrel length can change.

2. Do whatever.

3. You can absolutely not get a new receiver. It can be rewelded if the serial number stays intact.

LHRGunslinger
May 26, 2011, 12:34 AM
Ok I suppose I should refine my question. What happens if the receiver is damaged beyond repair?

mboylan
May 26, 2011, 04:30 PM
Ok I suppose I should refine my question. What happens if the receiver is damaged beyond repair?
Normally a receiver can be rewelded. If it can't, you cannot get another one and lose your investment.

TexasRifleman
May 26, 2011, 09:41 PM
What happens if the receiver is damaged beyond repair?

If it's damaged beyond repair then that's the end of it. There's no way to move the serial number to "remake" NRA firearms, though some have tried (and spent a lot of time in a courtroom).

CleverNickname
May 29, 2011, 05:20 PM

You file a claim with your insurer. You were planning on insuring the gun, right?

Although, "damaged beyond repair" for a title I firearm and "damaged beyond repair" for a machine gun are really two separate things, because it makes sense to spend more time & money on repairing a valuable machine gun than repairing a title I firearm that you could easily go buy again.

LHRGunslinger
May 30, 2011, 12:32 AM
Actually insuring the weapon never crossed my mind. Just didn't pop up in there.

medalguy
May 30, 2011, 11:16 PM
How do you insure against a kaboom???

TexasRifleman
May 30, 2011, 11:32 PM
How do you insure against a kaboom???

Some of the collector insurance policies cover mechanical breakdown as well as standard stuff like theft and fire.

Ranb
May 31, 2011, 02:59 PM
You may find that coverage for theft is far more expensive than damage. My home insurance covers my gun collection for damage but not theft. Insuring my gun collection for theft will cost more than everything else put together.

Ranb

moonpie
May 31, 2011, 04:25 PM
Go to the ATF website you can download their entire book to PDF for free

MasterSergeantA
June 15, 2011, 04:27 PM
Actually, if the receiver is damaged beyond repair, there is an admittedly small chance of salvation. You may return the receiver to the original manufacturer and ask them to assign the serial number to a new, identical receiver. They are allowed to do that under the current law, but getting it done is the long pole in the tent. In the case of a real AK, you would have a small chance of success because who knows where it was originally made? And does the factory even exist anymore?

LHRGunslinger
June 16, 2011, 07:45 PM
So it looks like insurance is the best option.

GoingQuiet
June 16, 2011, 10:14 PM
Actually, if the receiver is damaged beyond repair, there is an admittedly small chance of salvation. You may return the receiver to the original manufacturer and ask them to assign the serial number to a new, identical receiver. They are allowed to do that under the current law, but getting it done is the long pole in the tent. In the case of a real AK, you would have a small chance of success because who knows where it was originally made? And does the factory even exist anymore?
It was my understanding that is tantamount to making a new gun and not legal.

medalguy
June 16, 2011, 11:45 PM
I agree. I've never heard about this. Any legal citations?

If you enjoyed reading about "NFA questions." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!