Why didn't I wait? Share your stories.

PDA

bigalexe
May 25, 2011, 02:11 PM
Well I am sure I am not the only person this has ever happened to! I'll start but you are welcome to commiserate below in the thread.

About mid-March I had budgeted 250-300 for a pistol. I intended to buy a .22lr model but was open to anything. Ended up buying one early in April, yes I am happy with my purchase but now the gun fund has been spent for the year. Today I read that my LGS where I got my gun is having an S&W Sale on Saturday and I could pick up a S&W 637 Revolver for the price I paid to get a .22lr semi-auto.

What are your experiences where just if you had waited a bit longer?

If you enjoyed reading about "Why didn't I wait? Share your stories." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ny32182
May 25, 2011, 02:39 PM
About two weeks after I sold my VEPR K, they announced they were going to stop importing them, and the price went up 50% or more.

Smokey Joe
May 25, 2011, 03:08 PM
Big Alex E.--I've been dabbling in the stock market for a couple of years now (and actually been making money at it :) ) and if it has taught me anything, I've learned not to cry over what might have been.

If you wait, wait, wait, for the perfect deal, you will be wait, wait, waiting, FOREVER. And you will pass up a lot of good deals while you wait.

When you are ready to buy, or sell, a share of stock, or a firearm, or for that matter anything, you look around, ask around, find the best deal you can AT THAT TIME, and nail it.

Then you proceed on, and don't look back. If you had waited, sure, a better deal might have come along (and if you could see it coming, then you had good reason to wait) but you got your deal done, and you bought or sold your stock, firearm, horse, boat, business, or what-have-you, for a good price.

Otherwise you will waste a lot of time and emotional effort, crying over what might have been.

Enjoy your .22 pistol. Plan for your next purchase in the future. Ny 32182, use the proceeds from your sale to get a good deal on something else.

But don't bother whining about what might have been. Well, OK, one whine apiece. Then get on with your life.

Standing Wolf
May 25, 2011, 04:43 PM
I waited to buy a Python until I could afford it. I'd have been far better off and far happier buying it whether I could afford it or not when I was a young man.

230therapy
May 25, 2011, 05:00 PM
There are always trade-offs. Today's "useless gun sitting in the safe" is tomorrow's "rare collector's item". Another AWB could turn that CMMG "Bargain Bin" AR-15 into a $2,000 nuclear assault weapon.

I have found that it's best to develop a goal, research the possibilities, and save up for the gun that most closely matches the requirements. I have wasted far too much money on "the latest and greatest from X company" only to discover it does not perform a way that matches my requirements. This method tends to preclude newly released guns because their performance and reliability are unknown.

dirtykid
May 25, 2011, 05:58 PM
Bought the "Judge" before it was available in 3", traded it later at a loss,, Oh well

NMBrian
May 25, 2011, 06:03 PM
Could have had a Ruger SR1911 for the same price I bought my Remington R1 without all the bells and whistles.....

Not a total loss though, after some at home gun smithing, it now has a fitted beavertail and all new internals from WC! :D

danprkr
May 25, 2011, 06:47 PM
My father used to say that the deal of a lifetime comes along about once week. So just be patient when buying, but don't let that stop you from making a deal. Once you've made it, you have to stop 2nd guessing yourself. You've now made your bed, and have to sleep in it. And lucky you, it's got a gun beside it. :)

mgmorden
May 25, 2011, 08:28 PM
I have far more regrets on NOT buying certain guns than I do on buying them. Specifically I remember passing up on a Mossberg 810A in .243 that the shop said they'd take $145 for. The gun looked well used but in good shape. Good rifling and all. I'd never heard of that model though, and wanted to look online before dropping the money. Went back to the office after lunch and researched everything and really liked the sound of the design. By the time I made it back that afternoon it was gone :(.

Other regrets - selling off guns. Had a really, really nice sporterized Remington 03A3. Had that nice look like from the "golden years" when sporterized milsurps were a common way to get a hunting rifle. Had the turned down jeweled bolt handle, nice Bishop stock, very nicely reblued - the works. Wouldn't hit the broadside of a barn though. Rifling looked good, but bullets flew EVERYWHERE and wouldn't even stabilize - they were tumbling sideways into my targets at 50 yards. Sold the gun for $150 just to get rid of it.

Now being older and wiser in the ways of the gun, I realize that there was a pretty decent chance that that gun had been rebored to a larger diameter round based on .30-06 like a .338 Federal or .35 Whelen. Even if not, I wish I had the gun back to rebarrel. I'd LOVE to have that gun done up in 6.5x55 or the like.

Heretic
May 25, 2011, 08:45 PM
Spent this years budget to buy a DE 1911g.Don't get me wrong,it's a nice piece,but a week later I found out Para brought back the P14.

neolithic1
May 25, 2011, 08:57 PM
My experience is mixed. Typically I find that you need to move immediately when you find something that you have been looking for. However, I kept putting off the purchase of one rifle that I really wanted until I found a good deal. It took 3 years, but I found a good one at a good price.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
May 25, 2011, 09:03 PM
I have done more selling of firearms over the years that I look back on and wish I would have kept.

The one firearm I really kick myself for not keeping was an L.W. Seecamp 25 Auto I purchased in 1985 brand new. It did jam and was not reliable as a carry weapon. When I see what they fetch today it makes me sick I let mine go. Mine was as good as new when I traded it (most likely along with a large sum of cash from me) to purchase some other gun.

:banghead::confused::eek::cuss:

bannockburn
May 25, 2011, 10:13 PM
I think my story would be more like: Why DID I wait?

At a gunshow a number of years ago I came across a LNIB S&W Model 1000S Super Skeet shotgun. This gun was specifically set up with all the bells and whistles you could want in a skeet gun. It had a 25" vent rib barrel with a recessed skeet choke and a built-in compensator, right hand palm swell and contoured trigger, twin sighting beads with a fiber optic red front bead, graduated weight forend caps to dial in just the right balance of the gun, and a select walnut stock with a low gloss oil finish. Produced in limited quantities (and this one came with the extra field barrel); retail price brand new would have been around $900. I could have bought it for around $300.

That was on Saturday. So I went home, did my research, went back first thing on Sunday...and it was gone! Lesson learned. I should have bought it when I first saw it. I guess that's one I shouldn't have waited on.

Loosedhorse
May 25, 2011, 10:53 PM
+1

There's an old saying for collectors: "I don't regret any gun I've bought, just the ones I didn't buy, or sold."

I've bought a couple of guns "I shouldn't have." One I upgraded when a better, similar model came out, and I was only out about $75. Worth the upgrade.

The other mistake, I'll never get my money back on; but I learned a lesson, and it's still a shooter.

By contrast, I will not list the guns I should have bought, but didn't. There's too little space, and too much pain.

Gordon_Freeman
May 26, 2011, 12:16 AM
I bought a gun in early 2009 that I paid too much for. I thought there was going to be another gun ban. Around 6 months later that same gun was selling for $300 - $400 less than I paid. I didn't imagine prices would come down that much.

Arkansas Paul
May 26, 2011, 02:41 AM
I was in the market for a Ruger Blackhawk. I looked at tons of used ones but I was insistent on a .45 Colt. I finally got tired of looking for a used one and just bought a new one. A month later, I walked into the LGS and there sat a used one in like new condition for $100 less than I paid. My dad had loved shooting mine, so he bought it. I could have saved some cash, but now I've got someone to split the cost of components with. :)

Friendly, Don't Fire!
May 26, 2011, 02:52 AM
I bought a gun in early 2009 that I paid too much for. I thought there was going to be another gun ban. Around 6 months later that same gun was selling for $300 - $400 less than I paid. I didn't imagine prices would come down that much.
+3
I did the same thing with my LCP.
I paid like over $450 for it. It was the only new gun in the entire gun shop.

I had traded a shotgun and accessories for it that I had over $650 into!
Then, to top it off, ammo was like $50 a box. I was able to find some new, old stock ammo that was still good and traded some ammo of another caliber to a local guy who gave me the .380 ammo. Fortunately, I was still able to get dies, shell holder, etc. to load my own loads and started doing that - mostly from components I had on hand plus from Midway.

Dain Bramage
May 26, 2011, 02:08 PM
Bought a fixed stock AMD-65 during the Clinton ban for $599. Now, folding stock versions are running around for $399.

ShroomFish
May 26, 2011, 04:01 PM
Buying a Mosin Nagant 91/30 when I could have kicked in $70 more and got a M1911 knock off (nice knock off)...

jaytex1969
May 26, 2011, 04:23 PM
A few months after buying the Romanian PSL I'd wanted for years, the price dropped by $150. I was annoyed, but still enjoy the rifle.

KevinB
May 27, 2011, 06:21 PM
I wish I had bought a whole crate of Yugo SKS's back when I got mine for $89! :eek:

Have you seen what guys are asking for those at the gunshows??

Onward Allusion
May 27, 2011, 07:39 PM
Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I remember picking up an unfired 5906TSW for under $400. :cool:

Then again, I also remembering buying my 1st Sigma and the $50 or 2 mag rebate program came out less than 2 months later. :banghead:

Ignition Override
May 27, 2011, 10:30 PM
KevinB:

But how much do they discount in order to sell a Yugo or Norinco SKS?

At the Franklin show in February, I might have seen only two SKS rifles, but the selection now on Gunbroker indicates that there won't be any shortage for quite a while.
My Norinco went to the river today and sliced a large, empty Coke jug in half with a single fmj.

Ala Dan
May 28, 2011, 03:27 AM
About a year ago, a NIB Smith & Wesson model 642 was selling for $469;
today, during our (and S&W) sales promo this weapon can be had NIB for
$349~! :cool: ;) :D

jhansman
May 28, 2011, 05:10 AM
Well, since every firearm I've bought has only gotten more expensive, I'm not sorry I bought any when I did. My regrets all come from selling.

rocinante
May 28, 2011, 09:19 AM
My buddy goaded me into buying a 20 round drum for my saiga 12 when it first came out. Now they are 1/2 that price

Kajan
May 28, 2011, 09:44 AM
I bought a Sedgley sporterized US Enfield in .220 Swift with a 10x Unertl scope from a mentor who was cleaning out his safe in the mid 80's. Stock finish had gone gummy and had some minor surface rust. He sold it to me for $200. I refinished the stock and gave it a good cleaning. In the meantime he bought one of the first Glock 17L's, long slide and comp barrel to hit the market. He saw what I did to the rifle and wanted it back... I wanted the Glock. Negotiations started with me giving him $400 cash... after a couple of months haggling, he even-swapped me. I didn't immediately regret it, but after 10-15 years I did. My friend has since developed cancer and other health issues. Last summer I spent a week's vacation doing work around his farm (a six hour drive away) to help him out. When my family was packing to leave, he gave me the Sedgley and 10 boxes of new factory ammo. Also included was a lot of reloading components with load data from the original owner... this West Point Army Colonel has load dates of 1938, 1952 and 1964 on the old ammo boxes.

KevinB
May 30, 2011, 03:36 AM
But how much do they discount in order to sell a Yugo or Norinco SKS?

Oh, you're certainly right about that. I feel sorry for the unsuspecting guy that actually buys at those prices.

We go to the same shows by the way. I'm at the Franklin one fairly often, though I've been too busy here lately.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why didn't I wait? Share your stories." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!