Suggestions for (used) 9mm single stack for range use

PDA

Bob01
May 26, 2011, 02:50 AM
Hello All,

Upon researching 9mm single stack pistols - I ran into the S&W 3913/908s, from the looks of it, it appears what I am looking for:
- Metal Frame
- Small Grip/9mm single stack
- Good Build Quality (Suppose less so for the 908)
- Stainless (well except for the alloy frame, sights, etc.)

However it looks like the prices for the used market has inflated a bit. Also, looking more for a range gun not a CCW - any suggestions for something that fits the above constraints in the used market for $400 or under?

Thanks,

Bob

If you enjoyed reading about "Suggestions for (used) 9mm single stack for range use" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
docnyt
May 26, 2011, 03:04 AM
1911 in 9 mm.

Lothar Allen
May 26, 2011, 03:06 AM
1911 in 9mm isn't really going to happen for $400. although you could possibly find a RIA for that price

memphisjim
May 26, 2011, 03:09 AM
beretta 1951

kayak-man
May 26, 2011, 03:24 AM
1911 in 9mm isn't really going to happen for $400. although you could possibly find a RIA for that price

May be wrong, but I think AIM surpless har Star ModelB's for $380

docnyt
May 26, 2011, 04:44 AM
You can find a NEW RIA 9 mm for close to $400, and definitely a used one for under.

rellascout
May 26, 2011, 08:33 AM
Sig P6 surplus gun. $300
RIA 9mm used/new depending on your local market $400

moonpie
May 26, 2011, 08:34 AM
May be wrong, but I think AIM surpless har Star ModelB's for $380
the commander sized Star model BM is a good pick

ForumSurfer
May 26, 2011, 08:54 AM
My bro-in-law was going to let me have what he called "some junk spanish thing" for $100. He couldn't get it apart and he stated he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. Being the helpful person I am, I took the box from him and told him I'd clean it up and we'd take it shooting the next evening.

I opened up the box and it was a star super b with really nice and nearly pristine blueing. I cleaned it up and we took it shooting. Stupid thing ran like a top and shot really tight groups (in my hands). I explained what it was and told him I'd take it off his hands if he didn't want it, but he should rethink his price. He decided to keep it and I don't blame him. I can borrow it at any time, though.

Now I want my own. :(

Keep us informed on what you get as I'm in the same boat. I either want a cheapo range piece like the star super b or a cz-75. I'm not buying anything for awhile, my ammo stash has gotten embarrassingly low across the board. :o

blakeci
May 26, 2011, 10:15 AM
The Walther P1/P38 pistols that are on the market right now are going for $315 to $390
They are pretty decent single stacks for range use, and except for not coming in Stainless, they seem to fit your criteria

jrdavidson
May 26, 2011, 10:48 AM
I'm a big fan of police surplus european nines. All my single stacks came to me this way.

My Sig P6 was a great single stack value for the money, as it is the German Police version of the highly appreciated commercial P225. I got mine for $365 and refinished it as it had a lot of holster wear, but it was pristine inside. Side by side with my P225, the only difference is the rollmarks. Many feel the P6/P225 grip ergonomics to be superior to later Sigs. All steel frame with stamped steel slide and internal extractor. The recoil is softer than with many smaller nines, and its easily carried great too, if and when you want to go there.

I also have a Sig P239 which is a good single stack as well, but its ergonomics are not as good, and its alloy frame means it kicks more (in my experience).

My Walther P1 (the alloy framed version of the German Army P38) is a classic single stack, but its open slide design means ejected cases come up and left rather than out the usual right side. I also find it doesn't manage recoil as well with two smaller side mounted recoil springs as opposed to a larger centrally mounted recoil spring, but its a fun gun to pull out at the range and pop away with. I only shoot WWB loads (softer) through my P1 because of a concern over cracking the frame.

Dan's Ammo has NIB P239s right now imported from Germany for $640. That's a good price for a modern single-stack nine. He also has Grade 1 P38s available. Check out the SigForum classifieds for used and not-so-used P225s and P6s.

Good luck!

mgmorden
May 26, 2011, 10:57 AM
Sig P6 surplus gun. $300

They haven't been $300 for a while. You still can probably find one for around $375 though. I personally think the P6 is a better choice than the Walther P1. Of course, neither of these is stainless.

Also, AIM is sold out of the Stars - they're also not stainless either.

Personally, I really think you're limiting yourself by insisting on a single stack. The only area where I think that really buys you something (CCW) is the area you explicitly stated you're not interested in.

I think you're going to have to give up something here - your list is just a bit too specific.

If you're willing to compromise on the double-stack then the S&W 5906 is a good choice.
If you're willing to compromise on the price then the S&W 3913 or a stainless 1911 in 9mm is a good choice.
If you're willing to compromise on the metal frame and double-stack then the Ruger SR9 is an excellent choice.
If you're willing to compromise on the stainless then the SIG P6 is a good choice.

When it comes down to it, I think you need to pick something out of your list that you can live without and remove it. It's hard to be a picky shopper on a firm budget ;).

Winkman822
May 26, 2011, 10:59 AM
Sig P225

loneviking
May 26, 2011, 11:14 AM
Another vote for the Sig P6. You'll pay somewhere between $325 to $425 for one. These can be really great guns, as mentioned above. Just make sure to check the feed ramp to see if the ramp will take hollowpoints, and check the rails (esp. the sides of the rails) for discoloration that indicates the anodizing is worn through.

The P6 has lots of after market parts and customizing that can be done. Sights, short triggers, different grips, different strength mainsprings, refinishing. You can buy a stock one and leave it stock or make it a truly custom gun.

Storm
May 26, 2011, 11:34 AM
Sig p6
s&w 3906

mongo4567
May 26, 2011, 03:37 PM
Another vote for the P6, my 11 year old likes it because of the grip size and weight.

rellascout
May 26, 2011, 03:45 PM
If you are patient and know where to look you can still find P6s for $300. Places like GB are not the right place. LOL but even there you can find them for under $350.

Nathanael_Greene
May 26, 2011, 04:05 PM
Star BM, if you can find a deal on one. They were around $200 a few years ago; dunno what the going price is on one today.

1KPerDay
May 26, 2011, 04:54 PM
How about a Walther P.38 or (even cheaper) P1?
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/78497352.jpg

Furncliff
May 26, 2011, 05:18 PM
The RiA 1911 9mm is a good choice. Centerfire Systems has it for $430...http://centerfiresystems.com/AC-RI1911TACA9MM.aspx

I like my Star b well enough. It's accurate, reliable enough for range gun, cheap. But the one I have has cost me money to get running correctly and I get hammer bites every other time I shoot it (big hands). I like the size and heft of it, sort of a 7/8 ths scale 1911. I've heard good things about the StarBM, nice especially with the shorter barrel. A good used CZ 75(I know not single stack), mine cost $375, is a good choice.

Bob01
May 26, 2011, 05:33 PM
Liking that 3906 - but appears to be quite rare...

How is the RIA 1911 vs the Taurus?

The Bulgarian Markarov 9x18 (single stack) looks to be good for small hands?

Open to options to non-stainless now :-)

1KPerDay
May 26, 2011, 06:11 PM
Well do you want a 9mm (9X19, luger, parabellum, nato) or a 9x18 Makarov?

Bob01
May 26, 2011, 06:52 PM
I'm open to either now it seems - Wanted a pistol for range use that was cost effective to feed. The 7.62x25 Yugo M57 was on the top of my list until the surplus ammo all of the sudden dried up....

wrench
May 26, 2011, 10:45 PM
If you're wanting a single stack for small hands, you've really got to hold a S&W 3913. Marvelous.
I like SIGs, but SIGs don't like me. Trigger reach on a 225 is too long despite the single stack grip. 239 feels like I'm holding a furring strip. :p

Ben86
May 26, 2011, 10:55 PM
Perhaps a used Kahr K9?

Mr_Rich
May 26, 2011, 11:04 PM
I just picked up a CZ-82 in 9mm Makarov from CDNN for $189 and ordered Brown Bear ammo from ammunition to go for $9.65 a 50 round box. Shipping for the ammo was pretty reasonable, with a 10 box order it added about $1 a box.

I took it to the range for the first time tonight and it did ok. I've also been looking for a single stack 9x19mm but this seemed like a pretty good bargain.

Rich

Giterboosted
May 27, 2011, 09:17 AM
Sig p6 or star m43 firestar, both fun little all steel guns, got both for a greed deal and both are super enjoyable all day long, but the sig is by far one of my lost accurate guns with any ammo

1KPerDay
May 27, 2011, 11:58 AM
I'm open to either now it seems - Wanted a pistol for range use that was cost effective to feed.
How about a Ruger MKIII 22/45, then? :)

Husker_Fan
May 27, 2011, 12:00 PM
Threads like this really make me regret not getting on the P6 bandwagon when they were imported. Maybe a German state will come across an armory full of them to sell, but I won't hold my breath.

Bob01
May 27, 2011, 01:56 PM
Thanks everyone for chiming in!

From your posts and reading up on small grip automatic pistols that are in my search parameters:
- Around $400 or under
- Single Stack/Small grip - I've seen 7 year olds with bigger hands than my wife :-p
- Range use, not intended for ccw - so full size is ok
- 9mm or 19x18

Nice to haves:
- Stainless
- longer than 4" barrel - this is a range gun afterall ;-)

What I have found to be somewhat readily available in the used market
S&W 3913 - depending on style/wear $450-700
S&W 3906 - if I can find one - $450
S&W 908/s - $380-500
S&W 3914 - 400 - 500
Star Model B - 350 - 400
Star Firestar M43 - 350-420
RIA 1911 9mm (new) - 400-450
Markov 19x8 (Bulgarian model) - 225-250

I'm really liking the Markov based on costs, but there are other things to consider (ie grip size/feel :-D)

If anyone has experience with two or more of these models can i ask you to comment on the comparison of them in the following aspects:
- The grip size compared to one another
- Trigger distance (stubby fingers ;-))
- Build Quality/Overall Feel
- Trigger
- Anything else :-)

Thanks again,

Bob

ForumSurfer
May 27, 2011, 02:07 PM
I'm really liking the Markov based on costs, but there are other things to consider (ie grip size/feel :-D)

A word of warning on the mak. Make sure you check it out in person. I was all set to buy one until I felt that trigger. You can get the bugs orked out and have a decent trigger, but then you have more money tied up in it. Make sure you have plenty of 9x18 ammo availability, also. My LGS stocks it for about $2 more than regular 9mm...which is priced about $3 a box over walmart's price. It still isn't expensive, but I can still save a few bucks and go 9mm.

If you don't already have a 22 semi, ick up a ruger 22/45 or a browning buckmark...you won't be disappointed. A 22, a brick of value priced match ammo, $15 worth of shoot n-c stick on targets and a $35 self resetting reactive target is more fun than most people realize. Two semi 22 pistols and a race tree will keep you and the wife occupied and giggling like school kids for hours.

wrench
May 27, 2011, 09:14 PM
S&W 3914, which would be the same as the 3913/908 pistols, and I used to have a Makarov.
Trigger reach was OK on the Mak, but the trigger was much heavier than the Smith, and I thought the recoil on the Mak was MUCH sharper than the S&W.
Also, though it's a big gun, try to find a High Power to hold. Big double stack pistol, but incredibly good feeling, even in my small hands.
I've bought Brownings and FNs under $500, and there are FEG and Argentine clones under $400 if you shop hard.
I don't have a 9mm 1911, but I do in 45, and these can be easily set up for small hands and stubby fingers, as well.
Lots to think about, good luck!:)

Grayrock
May 27, 2011, 10:43 PM
I agree on the Walther P-38. Great gun and the nostalgia/cool factor is high.

Bob01
May 28, 2011, 08:09 PM
Really thinking about the Mak - since theres a guy selling his Russian version with adjustable sights nearby. Reading up on the Russian variant - it seems in general it has a poorer fit n' finish. However its the only variant with adjustable sights.

His asking price ($250) is about the same as if I were to get a Bulgarian model online (after FFL and shipping - $255).

Are Adjustable sights for a 3.8" barrel really all that helpful? Again this is for a range gun, not for CCW - where this could be a snagging hazard.

Thanks,

Bob

Red Cent
May 28, 2011, 08:28 PM
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/redcent69/SmithWessonM39.jpg

918v
May 29, 2011, 03:11 AM
A Sig P210 will satisfy all of your needs. You don't need stainless. That's for bad people.

Pilot
May 29, 2011, 07:00 AM
I have four Makarovs. Two Bulgarians, one East German and one Russian Commercial model in satin nickel and .380 caliber. While the double action triggers are a little stiff, the single action trigger is nice on all of them. They do get better with use. As someone else said, a trigger job, and/or spring changes helps a lot. Mine are al box stock and shoot great.

You can't go wrong with a Makarov (PM).

Johannes_Paulsen
May 29, 2011, 08:58 AM
Check out a used Kahr CW9. I think they generally retail in the $400s new anyway.

Cards81fan
May 30, 2011, 11:57 AM
A Sig P210 will satisfy all of your needs. You don't need stainless. That's for bad people.
Ha! I was going to suggest this (in jest, due to the budget constraints the OP listed). Sure are gorgeous in a hard chrome-style finish though:

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2980/p210smallnk5.jpg

rellascout
May 30, 2011, 01:53 PM
You might be able to find a Euro Sig P220 in 9mm.

Tedzilla
May 30, 2011, 02:31 PM
S&W Model 39 is a great gun in that range.

montanaoffroader
May 30, 2011, 02:38 PM
I own a Russian Makarov and it is a lot of fun to shoot. It is reasonably accurate and fits my smaller sized hand well.

As ForumSurfer pointed out, ammo costs a bit more than regular 9mm but it's not out of this world. I can get it around here for ~$20 for 50 rounds, and cheaper online.

I have put a few thousand rounds through it and haven't had a single malfunction. And it's a lot easier to clean than my 22/45.

Good luck with your decision. ;)

Shadow 7D
May 30, 2011, 03:06 PM
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=zastava+m88&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8682820522256087975&sa=X&ei=P-rjTZ-DPeHkiAKb9_C2Bg&ved=0CBkQ8wIwAA

The M88, a slightly modified Tokarev in 9mm

second a CZ 82
and if you can find it, the Zastava/EAA EZ pistols are straight SIG clones.

SpentCasing
May 30, 2011, 09:04 PM
3rd gen S&W (yes even the 908)

Jed Carter
May 30, 2011, 09:15 PM
RIA 1911 http://centerfiresystems.com/AC-RI1911-9MM.aspx it ain't stainless but for $400 you cannot be choosey.

frank c
May 30, 2011, 10:09 PM
Hello All,

Upon researching 9mm single stack pistols - I ran into the S&W 3913/908s, from the looks of it, it appears what I am looking for:
- Metal Frame
- Small Grip/9mm single stack
- Good Build Quality (Suppose less so for the 908)
- Stainless (well except for the alloy frame, sights, etc.)

However it looks like the prices for the used market has inflated a bit. Also, looking more for a range gun not a CCW - any suggestions for something that fits the above constraints in the used market for $400 or under?

Thanks,

Bob
IMHO the S&W 3913,3914,5906 and CS 9 in 9 mm is worth ever nickle.I own all four,they shoot flawless.As far as $400 that is the going rate to purchase one of these fine pistols.

Pilot
May 31, 2011, 10:12 AM
Save up a few hundred more dollars and get one of the surplus HK P7 PSP's while you still can. It is the finest single stack 9MM on the market except for the Sig P210 which is just way overpriced in comparison.

wally
May 31, 2011, 05:27 PM

RIA Tactical 9mm can be had new with warranty from Centerfire Systems for ~$430 + shipping and transfer. Great gun for the money, thousands of rounds through ours already. My wife loves if for the great trigger, sights and low recoil (its heavy for a 9mm pistol which soaks up recoil). Also spare mags are easy to find, CDNN has the Metalform OM for ~$13 each. They work great for us.

I was reasonably happy with my Star BM 9mm which meets your requirements if you can still find one, they were going for ~$170 towards the end. Main hassles will be finding extra mags and parts if something other than a spring breaks.

If you are willing to go to a lessor caliber, I prefer the CZ82 over the Makarov (better trigger will do cocked and locked) but its not single stack.

While the CW9 is a nice carry gun, its not a great choice for long sessions at the firing line.

harmon rabb
May 31, 2011, 05:48 PM
Get one of the Walther P1's that are suddenly everywhere. I picked one up, and it's a joy at the range. I kind of feel like I'm cheating on all my 9x18 pistols, but this P1 is way more fun at the range.

Of course, it has no practical purpose. If you want a cheap range toy that is actually practical, get one of the surplus cz-82's that are everywhere as well. The ammo for them is cheaper than regular 9mm, and they're compact enough to carry. Also, there are a few hollow points out for them now.

edit: i somehow didn't see this was for your wife at first. the P1 may not fit a small female hand well, but it sure fits my average sized male hand great.

harmon rabb
May 31, 2011, 05:57 PM

If anyone has experience with two or more of these models can i ask you to comment on the comparison of them in the following aspects:
- The grip size compared to one another
- Trigger distance (stubby fingers ;-))
- Build Quality/Overall Feel
- Trigger
- Anything else :-)

My wife has small hands, and my mak fits her very well. Trigger distance is short too. Build quality and feel of maks is great, and the trigger isn't bad at all.

Now... if you don't mind paying more for ammo... I'll make a different recommendation. Walther PK380. You can get them under $300 new. This gun was clearly designed as a "full size" for small women. The grip is very thin and comfortable, the reach to the trigger is very short, and the slide is the easiest to rack, by far, of any pistol I have ever tried out. Trigger is decent, recoil is very low. Of course, it's a 380, so you're looking at 15-16 a box of ammo instead of 11-12 that you'd pay for 9mm.... but I'd put money on your wife enjoying it more than any of the other choices here if she's got the tiny hand problem.

Bob01
June 1, 2011, 12:13 PM
Thank you again everyone!

Was able to bargain down the Russian Makarov to $200 with 75 rounds of various ammo - bore looked good, and internals surprisingly clean. Haven't shot it yet - but the wife likes the grip a lot more than the double stacks the local range stocks. I have to say I'm very partial to the single stack grip as well.

The S&W 3906 and 39-2 (in nickel or hard chrome) I suppose will be my affordable "grail" guns for the time being. I'll keep an eye out for them - both seem to be rarer than hens teeth ;-)

The PK380 looks like a fun gun to try out as well - we'll try a different range sometime and see if they have one on the wall :-) The EAA M88 looks neat as well - A Tokarev in 9mm...too bad they shortened the barrel :-/

For future reference - any recommendations for a 9mm single stack with a 6" barrel? - I imagine this would have to be something "custom"? - ie like a 1911 long slide?

//update//
The S&W 952 looks like it may be my "grail" gun...fits all of the above - but at $1700 used on GB :-p

sixgunner455
June 1, 2011, 02:36 PM
that's a good deal on a Makarov these days. Our Makarov is my wife's favorite non-.22 pistol, so ... good choice!

Topspeed
June 1, 2011, 03:01 PM
Increase your budget by about $100 and get a S&W 3913. They are a pure joy to shoot and as reliable as anything out there.

The Lone Haranguer
June 1, 2011, 07:44 PM
How about a S&W 3904 or 3906? These are not as slender or flat as the 3913, but this is not a consideration for your intended use.

Condition Yellow
June 3, 2011, 02:03 AM
You can't go wrong with the 3913:
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc273/Conditionyellow/93beac71.jpg

sixgunner455
June 3, 2011, 06:14 PM
Yellow - if only I could find one.

Condition Yellow
June 3, 2011, 10:38 PM
Six, there are two on this page: http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-sale-trade/

sixgunner455
June 4, 2011, 01:13 AM
Thanks!

woad_yurt
June 4, 2011, 01:59 AM
It's a great gun at a good price. If you want to carry later, though, those Baikal sights are the snag kings. I owned one but now have a Bulgarian. Both, however, will work the same, which is "just perfectly."

Will your wife be able to rack the slide? Makarovs have one of the harder slides to rack. It's stiff.

rskent
June 4, 2011, 08:04 AM
I canít speak about the Makarov but I think the older hammer fired S&W autos are one of the most underrated pistols you can buy.
The one I had (CS9) was accurate, reliable, and easy to carry. So why did I get rid of it? I couldnít get used to the upside down safety.
I am pretty much a 1911 guy when it comes to thumb safeties. I either want it like a 1911 or with no thumb safety at all.

RugerMcMarlin
June 4, 2011, 12:18 PM
Egyptian Beretta Brigadeer shot very little, dropped in the sand twice.
Tokarev 9mm 0r .30 mauser
Polish Radom 9mm

Taroman
June 4, 2011, 07:42 PM
My only 9mm range gun is an old S&W 639 that does OK. All stainless, too:
http://www.hverovhe.com/639target.jpg
There's not munch interest in these old obsolete heavy metal single stack guns so they can often be found at a good price.

If you enjoyed reading about "Suggestions for (used) 9mm single stack for range use" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!