How times per month does everyone target shoot?

PDA

Jim NE
May 26, 2011, 01:41 PM
Either at your favorite range or on your property, if you're rural. I'm just curious.

Also, how often do you think (on average) someone needs to practice to become a better shooter? I know every person is different, but I'd like other people's opinion.

It seems to me that once a month will keep you familiar with your firearm, but won't really make you a vastly better shooter. What do you think?

Also, doesn't it make sense that the more and varied your guns are, the less profiicient you are at any one gun?

Thanks - Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "How times per month does everyone target shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ColtPythonElite
May 26, 2011, 01:44 PM
It depends...In the winter when I can't do other activities I enjoy outside, I reload and shoot. I don't mind going shooting when it's 30 degrees. During those months I might shoot 1k rounds a month. In the summer, I tend to do other things.

vaherder
May 26, 2011, 01:51 PM
Just about everyday.

schnauzer
May 26, 2011, 01:53 PM
3 times a week if during League season.

gregj
May 26, 2011, 02:15 PM
My son and I will go to the range almost every saturday.

BossHogg
May 26, 2011, 02:24 PM
Twice a week till the outdoor range got blown away by storms. I'm down to once a week because of the $20 fee for the indoor range. I'll be glad when the outdoor range opens back up it was only $3.

yustinus1973
May 26, 2011, 02:25 PM
Not as much as i sould lately, as for how often i think someone should practice to be consistent with there firearms, well as much as possible imho, ammo and time permitting, both getting very expensive. As for only shooting with one pistol so that you get really good with it, and not spend any time with any others. Well if you want to get really good with one specific pistol ok i don't see a problem with that but i like to switch it up and condition my self with all of my firearms, and have fun to.

rellascout
May 26, 2011, 02:28 PM
As much as I can. I normally shoot at least every other week. 200 to 300 rounds a range session.

Overkilll0084
May 26, 2011, 02:35 PM
Practice/plink usually once a week. More if I can make it happen.
Also, Bowling pin match every Thursday evening, at least until the summer break.

mgmorden
May 26, 2011, 02:42 PM
Right now it's about every other week. All depends on the rotation though. I was going once per week pretty regularly for a long time but a lot of stuff cropped up lately.

Overall though some things learned never leave you. I equate it to something I was told in college: "50% of what you learn here will be outdated within 2 years of graduation. The other 50% will last you the rest of your life.". Shooting, like many things, is kinda like that. Shoot a lot and you'll learn a lot of lessons that you'll never forget and you'll always be a better shot. That's things like stance, how to grip the pistol, simply being able to diagnose the reasons behind missed shots, etc.

There's a lot of other stuff though that just requires constant practice, and no matter how good you are, if you're away from the range for a while those skills start to deteriorate.

IlikeSA
May 26, 2011, 02:51 PM
Once every two to three months. I'd like to do it more, but I am not working, so money is tight. I do dryfire approximately an hour a week, at various times. If you dryfire properly, you will develop proper habits and overcome flinch through muscle memory, in addition to developing arm, shoulder, and hand strength; all which are necessary for long shooting practices.

If you want to get better, I would suggest getting an instructor who knows what they are doing and can dedicate one on one time to you. I say that because I could not shoot a pistol worth a flip before, and after 3 days and 3000 rounds in police training, I became MUCH better.

I say get an instructor because blowing 3000 rounds and developing bad habits is a waste of money. Find an instructor or someone who knows what they are doing to help you. Listen to them with a humble attitude, and ask questions. I find that a lot of guys are much more difficult to instruct than women, because guys have pride and a feeling of "I can do this thing, and need minimal help." Get over that, and be humble and ready for correction.

Another thing that will help you is a .22 pistol; cheap to shoot, and accurate to the ranges one normally shoots pistols. I learned a lot shooting 22 pistols, and still bring mine when I shoot because it is good to shoot in between strings of centerfire to calm the nerves and correct flinch, if it develops.

armoredman
May 26, 2011, 03:00 PM
It was once a week until gas got so high. Now about once a month. Anti/greenies reading this are gloating, no doubt.

OldGunMan
May 26, 2011, 03:11 PM
Once or twice a week.

HOOfan_1
May 26, 2011, 03:13 PM
My range is about 30 miles and 45 minutes away. After I got laid off last year, I would go once a week. Now that I have a 40 hour a week job again, I've been once in the last 4 months. Over the summer, when college sports are over, I will probably go at least once or twice a month. Have to split days off between groundhog hunting (can't do that on Sunday in VA) and going to the range.

Nushif
May 26, 2011, 03:18 PM
I try to go at least once a week to shoot. Not target shoot, but to try drills and stuff like that.

Dobe
May 26, 2011, 03:21 PM
1 X week., usually 300 rounds of centerfire per trip.

Arkansas Paul
May 26, 2011, 04:27 PM
I try to go once a week, but it doesn't always happen. 2-3 times a month probably.

mr.trooper
May 26, 2011, 04:29 PM
I live very close to a nice outdoor range. It's only $4 to shoot as longas you like, and they furnish targets.

I try to go every week.

snooperman
May 26, 2011, 04:56 PM
shoot about 3 days a week-usally in 2 hour sessions. I usually reload at night about twice a week. Sometimes the grand kids come to join in as well.

RugerMcMarlin
May 26, 2011, 05:22 PM
More than a lot of people Bowl. My ex had it figured in hours, I'd have to dig out the paper work, but roughly 3-6 times a month and all day long. We used to shoot pins on thursday nights and call it bowling.

Dobe
May 26, 2011, 05:32 PM
shoot about 3 days a week-usally in 2 hour sessions. I usually reload at night about twice a week. Sometimes the grand kids come to join in as well. That's the life I want.

BCRider
May 26, 2011, 05:34 PM
Once and sometimes twice a week.

Recently I've been shooting with my club's IDPA weekly drills and skills group about 3 times a month. In addtion shoot twice or three times a month in various competitions.

In addition to my semi auto shooting I also shoot a lot of revolver. And yes, I totally agree that having a lack of focus on any one gun and one style of shooting does mean it's harder to actually get better in any given style. But in my case it's all for fun and giggles and I enjoy shooting the variety more than I worry about going after the #1 spot in the placings.

miles1
May 26, 2011, 06:07 PM
Once every other week.

Jim NE
May 26, 2011, 06:17 PM
I am a retired farmer and have my own range here on the farm and
shoot about 3 days a week-usally in 2 hour sessions.

I'm jealous.

armoredman
May 26, 2011, 07:01 PM
Got feeling kinda guilty after reading/commenting on this thread - just came back from the range, spent a couple of hours doing pistol work, drawing from concealment, triple tap, all at 10 yards, etc. MAN, did I need that! :( :o Spent too much time with rifles the last year, and my pistol shooting suffered badly. :banghead: Back to the basics!

Pardon the terrible phone camera picture.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/Phantom%20targets/untitled2.jpg

Need to go more often!:o:what:

Ala Tom
May 26, 2011, 07:56 PM
I am retired so there is no time constraint. But that also means there is a money constraint. I shoot once or twice a month at an indoor range alternating 40 and 22. The range fee is $10 and the range/store sells the ammo requiring more than $5 of 22 and at least one box of 50 when I shoot 40. I'd like to shoot two sessions a month but it doesn't work out that way. That would total 150 rounds per month on two guns.

My only reason to practice is to maintain a home defense capability. I do enjoy it but not enough to try competition.

JohnBiltz
May 26, 2011, 08:24 PM
I try and pretty much succeed to shoot once a week, 100 rounds, rarely twice. Last year I shot 5,000 rounds so I'm pretty consistent on it. I've found if I shoot more than 100 rounds I'm just wasting the rounds because of fatigue.

BYJO4
May 26, 2011, 08:58 PM
I got back into shooting several years ago when I retired and I go to my local range 3 times a week. I usually shoot 100 rounds each time. My shooting has greatly improved with the regular range sessions as well as making a lot of new friends. I also shoot different guns on a regular basis. No matter what gun I take to the range, I just remind myself that trigger control and sight picture are key to good groups.

mgmorden
May 26, 2011, 09:41 PM
It was once a week until gas got so high. Now about once a month. Anti/greenies reading this are gloating, no doubt.

Nah. Most seem unwilling to accept that people target shoot period. No joke - telling an anti that you go target shooting with a gun illicits the same reaction as telling someone you get Playboy to read the articles. They just think you're looking lying trying to justify some other use.

No lie, in arguing with one one time they said: "Sure you CAN use a gun for hunting or target shooting, but realistically, the VAST MAJORITY are used to kill people." :confused:

Yarddog
May 26, 2011, 10:13 PM
IF I miss a week I'll make it up & then some ; )
Y/D

Dogguy
May 26, 2011, 10:30 PM
I belong to a gun club but it's about 20 miles out of town. Although I'm retired and should have lots of free time, I'm only able to get there every couple of weeks.

I sometimes wonder how I ever managed to fit a 40-hour workweek into my schedule in the past.:D

M2 Carbine
May 26, 2011, 10:56 PM
I shoot about 5 days a week. Sometimes several times a day. (home ranges)
This morning I shot with a neighbor lady and this evening I shot by myself.

I think most people need to shoot at least once or twice a week to remain proficient and improve.

I and friends shoot many different guns. Shooting just one gun (to me) would get boring quick.

psyshack
May 27, 2011, 12:27 AM
2 to 4 times a week. I also use to shoot at a indoor range down the street from my office. So I could run down there at lunch or after work, or before work. But there membership fee, range fee, and could only shoot there targets you have to buy. With no area to drill at. I fired them after a year. What a waste of money.

I now shoot on ave. 2 times a week at my local WMA area. A $25 hunting lic. is all that's required. I can setup my own drills. And shoot what I want with no cry babies or know it all's around me that can't hit the paper.

Once I'm fully recovered from being rear ended by a bubble head blond with a cell phone and SUV I will start shooting more.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
May 27, 2011, 12:39 AM
Certainly not as much as I should and not nearly as much as I used to! There are a lot of things I don't do much of anymore just because of the higher cost of living.

Jim NE
May 27, 2011, 12:46 PM
Got feeling kinda guilty after reading/commenting on this thread - just came back from the range, spent a couple of hours doing pistol work, drawing from concealment, triple tap, all at 10 yards, etc. MAN, did I need that! Spent too much time with rifles the last year, and my pistol shooting suffered badly. Back to the basics!

Pardon the terrible phone camera picture.

Need to go more often!

Armored man, one of the reasons I asked the question in the first place is because, whenever I go to the shooting range, almost all the people's targets end up looking like yours, not the 2 or 3 inch groups that people often claim on this website.(Myself very much included.)

I'm not at all saying that I don't believe people's comments about those tight groups, just that those results do not seem typical for most shooters who go to ranges. Based on what I've seen, it's a rarity. So I wanted to find out how often everyone practices.

I can only get anything close to those kind of groups with one gun at 20 yards (or so) and that's with my S&W 22a. And I believe that's the gun, not me.

It seems most shooters are in need of more practice. :)

Jim NE
May 27, 2011, 12:58 PM
I'm also starting to feel lucky, because the range fees around here are only about $6 per hour, and that's no membership required. Targets are from about 25 cents to $1.75 or so.

aminyard
May 27, 2011, 01:58 PM
Well, since my range (50yd) is in my back yard I normally shoot 5-6 times per week:)

Whiskey11
May 27, 2011, 02:59 PM
I usually head to the range three times a month. The range I am a member of does not have open days except Sunday for handgun/rifle. Usually there is some family event that requires a Sunday. As for number of rounds, well, generally in the 400 to 500 range. I love reloading so I don't mind "wasting" any when I am tired. Its just a good excuse to practice in less than ideal situations.

bcp280z
May 27, 2011, 03:35 PM
3 or 4 times a month if I can afford it, just to hone my skills and know I still got it. I also try to recruit friends to join, bummer that our work schedules differ so. That's at the range though. My Gma has given me permission to use her land up in lower Bama, gonna bring some weedwackers and some of them up there tomorrow. An hour in gas or 30mins plus ridiculous $15 range fee. Don't understand why they charge so much if I bring my own ear/eye protection, targets, bullets, and collect my brass.

Minnesota Wild
May 27, 2011, 04:17 PM
I try to shoot at least once a week, normally on the weekend.

As for the part about proficiency with one gun vs. multiple guns, I strongly disagree that shooting only one gun will make you better with the single gun. When you shoot a single gun you get good at doing some specific things with that particular weapon. When you shoot multiple guns, some will bring out errors in technique that other won't. By improving your general shooting, you will improve your shooting with each individual gun. For example, go shoot a DA revolver until you are proficient with it in DA. I promise that you will improve your shooting with the current crop of striker fired pistols as well as, to a lesser extent, your single action shooting.

Naybor
May 27, 2011, 04:17 PM
Once or twice a week.
Rural area ~ "range" is an old stump in the back yard.

Searcher4851
May 27, 2011, 04:41 PM
At least once a week. I've just started back shooting after a long hiatus, and I've got a lot of catching up to do.
To an extent, shooting anything will make you shoot everything better.
Sight picture and trigger control are the biggies. The better you get at those, the better you shoot, and it transfers to different weapons.

RichBMW
May 27, 2011, 04:53 PM
About twice a week. Paid my gun club annual membership, so the range is free to use for another year.

SharpsDressedMan
May 27, 2011, 05:00 PM
5-6, now that the weather is breaking her in Ohio.

Smaug
May 27, 2011, 05:43 PM
I go about once every other week. I'm a member at a good outdoor range, but lately the weather has been horrible and I've been paying more to shoot indoors.

Sometimes, I only shoot about 30 rounds of centerfire and 50 of rimfire. Other times, a lot more. Sometimes, once a week, but not more.

I agree that (in general) the more guns one has, the less proficient he has with them. There are exceptions, for example if I have 10 guns, but they're all Glocks or all 1911s or all DA revolvers, practice with one transfers to the other. It is always interesting. For instance, who is the more dangerous criminal, the one who practices every week with his 22 or the one who practices once a year his 45? Probably the guy with the 22.

I think every other week is the minimum to show steady improvement. More is better.

I think your comment about once a month is enough to keep one familiar with the gun is probably overkill. Just to remain familiar and to maintain a given level of skill, it probably doesn't have to be that often. Maybe twice a year is enough for that.

Hunt480
May 27, 2011, 09:33 PM
I shoot just about every day at times, but I live out here in the good ole country side of West Ga.

NMGonzo
May 27, 2011, 09:49 PM
1 if i am so lucky in this economy.

dtvburns
May 27, 2011, 10:38 PM
I think I average twice a week during the summer and once a month in the winter. I joined a sportsmans club close to the house just to shoot more.

hey_poolboy
May 27, 2011, 11:38 PM
I try to get out once a week at least. If I know I will get off work at a decent time I will take a gun or two with me and stop on the way home to shoot a little "extra". If all else fails I will normally go out on a Saturday morning or Sunday after noon.

Mad Magyar
May 28, 2011, 02:53 PM
When I'm healthy, every Friday or Saturday: 2 guns and 2 boxes....

possum
May 29, 2011, 05:57 PM
2-3 times per month. normally 350-500rds is the norm in handgun each time that I go.

Beancounter81
May 29, 2011, 06:15 PM
Typically once a week at the local indoor range - usually 200-300 rounds centerfire per session.

orionengnr
May 29, 2011, 07:03 PM
I try for once a week, and make it about 75% of the time.
100 rounds of rimfire (Ruger MkII or S&W M18, depending on what is to follow) and then 50-100 rounds of centerfire (1911 or S&W revolver).

1SOW
May 29, 2011, 11:55 PM
Pistol:
At least once, usually twice/week for practice--100+ rds each session.
On most weekends are matches/Fun-Shoots. 120-140rds ea. usually.
I reload weekdays 'til I have 1K+ reloaded.

It seems to me that once a month will keep you familiar with your firearm, but won't really make you a vastly better shooter. What do you think?

I'm an old slow 'C' shooter. The guys I know who are M/GM shooters shoot a lot of rounds and a lot of dry fire.

I don't think just shooting more makes you a better shooter. Eliminating mistakes and improving weaknesses can improve your shooting over night. Us slower learners need advice and guidance.

Retired. My (outdoor) practice range fee is $4.60 and will be "0" when I turn 65 later this year.

ralph2
May 30, 2011, 12:43 AM
Just about every morning during my morning walk

RevDerb
May 30, 2011, 02:14 PM
A buddy and I try for once a week. Other things occasionally get in the way but we do pretty well during the warmer months especially. Tomorrow's Tuesday which is our normal day to shoot so I'll get in two days this week. :cool:

catnphx
May 30, 2011, 06:20 PM
I'm at Ben Avery Shooting Range (North Phoenix) about 2-3 times per month shooting 200-400 rounds per session. When you've got kids, it's tough to get a regular schedule so I just try to fit it in when I can. Lately, I've been breaking-in my new Kahr CW9 ... it's got about 600 rounds through it so far and its becoming very reliable. Normally, I bring 2-3 guns each session:

M&P 9
M&P 9c
S&W 640-1 .357
Kahr CW9
Mossberg 590A1 12 gauge

I live about 1 mile away from Ben Avery and every time I'm outside I can hear the shots calling my name. It's motivating to hear the sounds if I'm feeling lazy but torturous to hear if I've got other things around the house to do.

saddlerocker
May 30, 2011, 09:11 PM
I just got into firearms this spring. Joined the local range, bought a bolt action .223, an M&P9, and am shooting once a week at least.

But ammo cost is becomming a problem.

If you enjoyed reading about "How times per month does everyone target shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!