Ruger SR1911 future

PDA

msparks
May 27, 2011, 09:11 AM
I'm loving the reviews of the SR1911. I'm glad Ruger is in the 1911 game. Quality and affordability. While I'm sure it won't win any beauty awards like a Wilson or other high end I'm sure it gets the "job" done.

Now thinking toward the future. What's next?

I'm looking forward to Ruger doing some lightweight models especially in a commander sized gun.

Who else would buy one tomorrow if they made a lightweight commander suitable for daily carry?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger SR1911 future" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dobe
May 27, 2011, 09:34 AM
I'm carrying the SR1911 as I type this. It's suitable for carry.

zeos
May 27, 2011, 11:43 AM
I want to see a blued model. I am not really a fan of stainless, just for aesthetic reasons.

Husker_Fan
May 27, 2011, 11:58 AM
I believe the SR1911 will be my first 1911 later this year.

I'd love to see a lightweight CCO as I've been looking for one as a carry gun. Preferably it will have a 4.25" barrel with bushing and I'd like to see a contoured rear grip corner and MSH like the Dan Wesson CCO.

The Lone Haranguer
May 27, 2011, 08:07 PM
If it sells - and continues to sell - well, I would not be surprised if they offered some or all of these variants in the future.

Stringfellow
May 27, 2011, 09:10 PM
I got to hold one today, right next to a Springer Loaded.

I suspect Ruger is going to take a big bite out of Springfield's 1911 business if they decide to introduce a "full" 1911 lineup.

I didn't get to shoot either pistol, but both felt and looked to be roughly the same level of quality. But the Ruger is about $150 or so less. And it really IS made in America rather than implied to be made in America--which likely matters to the 1911 crowd.

Safetychain
May 27, 2011, 09:46 PM
Zeos, I spend most of my time between the coast of SC and the FL keys. Blued guns rust around here. When I visit my daughter in OR, I'm so amazed that she can leave a hammer out under a carport for nearly a year and it will not have rust even where it rains nearly 7 months out of the year. My safe in SC has a goldenrod, and all guns are well oiled at least once a year and I still get rust speckles. My carry weapon before my now stainless model would have rust every night unless it was greased up so much that it often ruined my clothes. Some of us are just not fortunate enough to reside in a dry climate. I will not ever purchase another gun unless it is stainless, titanium or something else that won't rust. If Ruger makes only one type of 1911, then stainless fits everybody as stainless can easily be treated to a black (or nearly any other color) finish.

CZ57
May 27, 2011, 09:58 PM
There are enough reports out now here and at other various forums to indicate the SR1911 is a winner. It may take a while before we see a Commander or 9mm versions but I think the future is so bright for this pistol that variations are bound to follow.;)

Skylerbone
May 27, 2011, 10:32 PM
If the P and SR line up are any indication then Springfield may as well roll up the mat and pack it in on those XDs as well. Who would pay more for a similar plastic gun?

I think many 1911s are sold by reputation as are polymer and ARs and revolvers and rifles... I think that while the 1911 market has much competition it is also suffering from a huge demand that seems to outstrip supply. Try finding a new Ruger or S&W or a 2011 Colt with the new rollmark. They're as out of stock as Range Officers and TRPs. Same phenomenon that hit the AR market a few years back.

I commend Ruger on what looks to be a fine 1911 and agree they will likely add to the line up sooner than later.

Hunt480
May 27, 2011, 10:49 PM
I believe the SR1911 will be my first 1911 later this year.

Me too, I almost bought a 1911 about 30 years ago but I passed. This Ruger version is the first 1911 I ever seen that I really want. I know you can't go wrong with a Ruger anyway it will be tough and durable. This gun has just the right amount of good looks for me it will be my next purchase...

918v
May 27, 2011, 11:39 PM
I'm loving the reviews of the SR1911. I'm glad Ruger is in the 1911 game. Quality and affordability.

And seizability.

Carter
May 27, 2011, 11:43 PM
I wonder if the SR1911 will finally help the ruger haters move on.

I keep feeling tempted to buy one, but I always end up getting polymer framed pistols. I guess its a weight thing.

So a commander sized model would be nice to see.

918v
May 27, 2011, 11:48 PM
Not if it continues to seize-up.

357 Terms
May 28, 2011, 12:06 AM
Ok 918v inform me, let me "know what your talking about"

918v
May 28, 2011, 12:14 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=593814

looking at it again, i found rough, galled marks on both sides of the frame/slide contact areas where it has definately been making some hard contact. Lots of metal powder from the rubbing. I've racked it probably 200 times and it is feeling smoother, but the rail on the left side looks like crap now.

357 Terms
May 28, 2011, 12:30 AM
LOL! good god; look at that thread , right after your post, the OP said "no complaints"!

918v
May 28, 2011, 12:33 AM
I guess galling is good or even desirable sometimes.

357 Terms
May 28, 2011, 12:42 AM
LOL ok "seize up" ??? lets not exaggerate, stick to facts.

918v
May 28, 2011, 12:46 AM
All was well and good until after i had racked the slide probably 5 times- it stuck. Like, HARD stuck. Had to whack the rear of the slide real freaking hard to get it to return to battery.

Stuck is synonymous with seized.

357 Terms
May 28, 2011, 12:52 AM
OMG!! he hadn't even shot the gun!

HOOfan_1
May 28, 2011, 04:23 AM
OMG!! he hadn't even shot the gun!

not to mention that was 1 poster out of about 5 others here that say they have the guns and love them and have run several hundred rounds through them without issue.

The term haters gonna hate certainly applies.

Every manufacturer seems to have some haters on here....some more than others.

Ruger, SIG, Glock, Remington

918v
May 28, 2011, 11:37 AM
I really love it how people start making threads personal, like we're talking about their mommas. Words like "hate" and "evil" and "troll" start to come out, even though the facts are against them.

Skylerbone
May 28, 2011, 12:10 PM
I swear the next time you bring up my momma I'm gonna!!!

Galling is a certainty with a SS frame and slide combo without lubrication. I honestly don't see myself considering one for purchase as that segment of my collection has been filled (price wise and use wise) but the fact that such a large number of the sports reviewers fired thousands of rounds trouble free counts for something. It is my understanding that Ruger also issued each of them one once production models became available and not a peep from any of them.

I do hope those who purchase the Ruger understand that it is not a Wilson or Ed Brown. Interesting stuff V and thanks for the heads up. I do wonder about the linked poster's experience level considering his other comments and that in a span of a few weeks both his 1911s were down and out. $400 Metro Arms + $700 Ruger could have = 1 really nice 1911, DW Heritage...

357 Terms
May 28, 2011, 01:25 PM
918v ??? I am really confused: you have NO facts! YOu quote a thread that the OP eventually shoots the gun and then has "no complaints" What facts do you have? really, I would love to hear "that you know what your talking about" no hate here, just curious.

Skylerbone
May 28, 2011, 02:29 PM
I think the facts are clear as he stated them. A Ruger owner experienced galling and a lock up. What remains is sorting out the why. V made no attempt to besmirch Ruger, but what he said about my momma...to the moon!

DammitBoy
May 28, 2011, 02:34 PM
Dear Ruger, please make your wonderful 1911 in 10mm

Rittmeister
May 28, 2011, 04:02 PM
I'd love to see a CCO-pattern Ruger 1911

I also want one with a light rail. That's right, I said it. :D

orionengnr
May 28, 2011, 04:45 PM
Galling is a certainty with a SS frame and slide combo without lubrication.
I believe this to be only partially true. From what I have been reading, the early Coonans were stainless and some had galling problems. The new Coonans have (apparently) made some adjustments to the composition of the stainless steel and the problems are gone.
When AMT came out with their all-stainless Hardballer back in the late '70's, they suffered galling problems because they used the same grade of stainless on the slide and frame. I'm no metallurgist (I did stay at a Holiday Inn once), but I'm given to understand that using dissimilar grades of SS in the contacting parts, with proper lube, solves the problem.
Lots of good info here:
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=231584
--I carry a stainless 4" Kimber 1911 daily, and shoot it weekly--no worries. It is pretty indifferent to lube. Recently I have been using Ed's Red as a CLP and whatever residual remains, works fine.
--I own and shoot it's 5" cousin as well. It is a 1997-ish model and again, no worries.
--I also own, shoot and (casionally) carry an early S&W M66 no-dash. They had some galling isses early on but S&W figured it out quickly and still makes stainless revolvers that do not have galling issues.
--A stainless Coonan .357 Mg 1911 on my short list right now (as soon as I can save up $1300 or so), and I have no concerns about any galling issues.

All that said, I wonder if Ruger has figured this out. Maybe yes, maybe no--time will tell. I was all fired up and ready to grab one--I am on my dealer's "call list" when she starts to receive SR1911s, but I may wait a while...considering the SR9, my LCP, and other recent releases...

918v
May 28, 2011, 06:44 PM
My reading of the other thread indicates the OP did lube the rails with RemOil. When making a gun for the masses one should consider the type of lubes commonly available and taylor the materials to work with those lubes. I hope it does not take a long time for Ruger to figure this out. After all, it has full control of the metallurgy.

357 Terms
May 28, 2011, 06:57 PM
OK my reading of the same thread is that after the OP actually shot the gun (which is the best and in my opinion the ONLY way to determine functional reliability) he had "no complaints" . How on earth can you say from that that SR 1911 "seize up" ......Ridiculous!

zeos
May 28, 2011, 07:01 PM
Zeos, I spend most of my time between the coast of SC and the FL keys. Blued guns rust around here.

I grew up in the Houston area and my parents have a beach house in Matagorda so I am aware of rust.

I'm not arguing that they shouldn't make a stainless model, I'm just saying I hope they make a blued model. I just like the look of blued weapons, I have no deep seated hatred of stainless weapons.

sweater914
May 28, 2011, 07:13 PM
As much as I would like a SR1911, my rock stock Springfield works just fine and I hate chasing brass, my SW 625 gets more excerise. I'm looking for a Commander sized 1911 for carry.

I commend Ruger for getting into the 1911 market, but my ole man always said never to buy the 1st model year of any product due to unforeseen problems during manufacture or use which takes about a year to iron out. Let other people pay for the hype and problems.

918v
May 28, 2011, 09:42 PM
OK my reading of the same thread is that after the OP actually shot the gun (which is the best and in my opinion the ONLY way to determine functional reliability) he had "no complaints" . How on earth can you say from that that SR 1911 "seize up" ......Ridiculous!

Because the OP himself said it:
All was well and good until after i had racked the slide probably 5 times- it stuck. Like, HARD stuck. Had to whack the rear of the slide real freaking hard to get it to return to battery.

357 Terms
May 28, 2011, 10:15 PM
and then after he actually SHOT the gun:.... "no complaints". Tell you what v... buy one and then give a FIRST hand review of it! A thorough one! then maybe I will think you "know what your talking about" Otherwise... you have NO! cred...

918v
May 28, 2011, 10:46 PM
I guess galling is good or even desirable... frame rails that look like crap add to the mystique that is Ruger 1911.

DammitBoy
May 28, 2011, 11:13 PM
Give it a rest already. I'm sure everybody got your point.

918v
May 28, 2011, 11:22 PM
Not everybody.

Magnumite
May 29, 2011, 01:34 AM
It seems the gun was fine. The guy liked it. No undue wear. Apparently the slide and frame weren't soft. Should we continue to hate the gun?

In all seriousness, I am curious about how and in what position the slide got stuck. He never indicated if it occurred without the barrel and slide pin. For all we know, he may have bumped the right side of the slide stop with his right finger as he was racking it. I agree...more info. Pics of the slide and frame rails would be interesting.

FWIW, a small bit of galling from fitting, while not desirable, will not hinder if arrested and polished. I learned this on the first all stainless 1911 I built. It remains one of my tightest and most accurate pistols. And is absolutely reliable.

Skylerbone
May 29, 2011, 02:06 AM
The OP did ask who would buy one tomorrow if they offered a lightweight carry model. Can no one accept a no response qualified by a review of an end user who experienced a problem? Should the reasonable expectation of a carry pistol be some assembly required? How about if it doesn't work, send it in?

Research does not always net your desired results. Another reason climatologists have to fake it. Keep an open mind and one eye out for future reported problems, note the trend, good or bad, and make an informed decision.

Tomcat47
May 29, 2011, 02:31 AM
Personally Im waiting for one to come in at local Gun Shop.

I think they look good, they are entering the market as an entry level 1911.

Ruger will not fail at this task! , They will find their flaws and weaknesses and will rectify them as they always have.

I remember issues with the P89 and it mostly stemmed form lack of deburring internal parts which became a non issue very shortly and it is a very reliable pistol.

I just purchased a Taurus PT1911, I am very satisfied with it and I will most definately have a Ruger 1911 soon.

I like it and its a Ruger! :)

The platform has its pros/cons/ and problems depending on what you are looking for. If you want a competition grade 1911 look above entry level pricing! You are not going to get a Wilson or Colt or Ed Brown for $700 nor should you expect a entry level 1911 to be as such!

A good Shooter! Dependable! Accurate! Yes!

Match Grade - No!

My 2 cents...

Magnumite
May 30, 2011, 11:14 AM
Skylerbone, valid point. I can answer for myself. I prefer the heavier steel frames and prefer 5" guns. But if Maryland were to pass CCW permits laws, I would opt for the alloy frame just for the purpose of carry. I prefer the aluminum over polymer frame concept. Just a little more weight and rigidity for shooting stability.

I would consider the Caspian format, 4 to 4.25" barrel and the shorter frame for the Colt officers model...I think they call it the CCO. I've been pondering building that gun, but have a difficult time moving beyond using the 5" barreled guns. I had two 4" guns in the past, but the didn't light my fire.

RustyFN
May 30, 2011, 12:58 PM
and then after he actually SHOT the gun:.... "no complaints". Tell you what v... buy one and then give a FIRST hand review of it! A thorough one! then maybe I will think you "know what your talking about" Otherwise... you have NO! cred...

Seems to me you keep forgetting all of the problems he had to deal with to get it to shoot. I'm with 918V and I would send it back for Ruger to make it right. And no I'm not a Ruger hater, I own a few Ruger's.

ISO1600
May 30, 2011, 07:47 PM
Hey 918V, i was the poster of that other thread, and the gun has been running fine since. After around 500 rounds through it, i haven't had a single failure of any sort, and can no longer see anything that looks irregular on the slide rails.
I am 100% satisfied with this pistol, it even changed my mind on stainless finish.
I put Hogue extreme G10 slimlines on it last night. The stock grip screw bushings were so soft, must have been made of butter lol.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3121/5777721405_59ca8fb332_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mx5chris/5777721405/)
IMG_3493 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mx5chris/5777721405/) by Chris.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/people/mx5chris/), on Flickr

ISO1600
May 30, 2011, 07:51 PM
as for when/how the slide was sticking-
It would get stuck with the barrel/spring etc in or out, to the rear. I put the stripped slide on the frame and it was still getting stuck while back- while it was ontop of the disconnector. It would not get stuck all the way back, but partially. The problem completely stopped after putting the tiniest amount of Tetra grease on it and racking it once.

ISO1600
May 30, 2011, 08:02 PM
Skyler, i bought both the Metro and the Ruger in such a short time because my wife is stubborn and wants her own guns (understandable). She also loves Rugers. While i was waiting on a SR1911 from one shop, another popped up for a great price. In that time of waiting, i decided to get a cheap GI style 1911 for myself.
I have plenty of experience shooting and owning guns, just new to 1911's.

918v
May 31, 2011, 01:05 PM
After around 500 rounds through it, i haven't had a single failure of any sort, and can no longer see anything that looks irregular on the slide rails.

Can you post a macro shot of the rails?

My issue is with Ruger making rookie mistakes when introducing a new gun to market. Ruger should produce an alloy that works with common lubricants, not some specialty grease.

I also hope it don't start to peen.

Other than that, it looks like a nice gun.

ISO1600
May 31, 2011, 01:50 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=593814

918v, i posted pics on my other thread.
I think it looks and shoots great so far, since that slight issue at first has been cleared up. I'll admit i was pretty F'n ticked at first. I could have sent it back, yes, but i am simply not patient enough to do that.

CZF
June 1, 2011, 01:43 AM
I agree with the posts calling for a Commander or CCO sized gun in the
near future.

Same for a 9mm version.

Would any of you buy a SR1911 in .38 Super?

In regard to the LCP and LC9 track record to date.

I've yet to fire my LCP but trust that the guy who sold me to fired it
because he told me that it stings a bit.

He bought it NIB and put 40 rounds of factory JHP through it.

The LC9 that we bought last month was NIB and ran like a charm with the limited time and ammo put through it, including smoking hot
Double Tap +P loads.
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/czrami/DOUBLE%20%20TAP/Double%20Tap%202011/dt-9.jpg
My wife hated the long DAO, and I hated the loaded chamber indicator.

That Said..

by all indications, it was what a Ruger slimline 9mm should be.

1.Smaller than the SR9 Compact, but bigger than the .380.

2.Lighter than the SR9s, and a bit heavier than the LCP w/CT.

3.Totally reliable with all loads tested, as a Ruger should be.

The guy we soon sold it to loves it! He now has 2 of them.

Going back to the SR1911, there seems to be plenty of people not holding of on buying within the first year of release..and are grabbing the new .45s as they roll into stores.

That said, even though I'd like (as do others) a black or blued gun,
and also in 9mm or .38 Super.

I would have no qualms in buying a Commander sized stainless gun
if they offered them in July.

So far...it Looks like there is another high quality American made 1911 on the market that actually works,
and is half the price of a Dan Wesson.

Apocalypse-Now
June 1, 2011, 02:02 AM
not for me. cast frame 1911's aren't my cup of tea :)

(plus i've owned several rugers before and based on those experiences will never own another.)

i know two friends that like theirs though :)

i'll stick to springfield armory operators.

Skylerbone
June 1, 2011, 10:33 AM
No Caspian build in your future.

northark147
June 1, 2011, 11:16 AM
Since I'm a Ruger fan, I see one of these in my future, especially if they come out with a blued one. I just like black guns or black guns with stainless accents better.

thomis
June 1, 2011, 01:03 PM
And it really IS made in America rather than implied to be made in America--which likely matters to the 1911 crowd.

I've been a 1911 wanna-be owner / lurker for years now. And this really DOES appeal to me. A couple years ago I was in the local gun shop and was looking at a SA 1911. I noticed it said "Made in Brazil" on the side. I asked the gun shop owner where the Springfields were made. He was quick to say the USA. I showed him the slide and he acted as if he couldn't believe it. A gun in his own shop and he didn't know where it was made.

Cards81fan
June 1, 2011, 01:40 PM
I'd love to see a lightweight CCO as I've been looking for one as a carry gun. Preferably it will have a 4.25" barrel with bushing and I'd like to see a contoured rear grip corner and MSH like the Dan Wesson CCO.

I am not particularly excited about the Ruger (nothing against it, but it's just another 1911 of many IMHO), but if they come out with a Bobtail Commander and/or CCO (a la Dan Wesson and/or Colt, respectively) anywhere close to the current Ruger pricing, I'll buy one sight unseen.

Apocalypse-Now
June 1, 2011, 03:37 PM
And it really IS made in America rather than implied to be made in America--which likely matters to the 1911 crowd.

i'm a "1911 crowed" member, part of the forum too lol. quality is what counts with me.

don't care that SA 1911's are forged in brazil, and some finished in america. they're good stuff.

"made in america" does not automatically mean "quality"--far from it. look at the auto industry in detroit. "made in america" nowadays often means that the product was made by overpaid union workers that cannot be fired no matter how poorly they work. sad to say it, but it's true.

don't mean to ramble, my point is, "made in america" does not automatically draw me to a product anymore. besides, is every single part, from start to finish, made here? it's often a grey area.

Dobe
June 1, 2011, 04:09 PM
Pretty sure all of the SR1911 is made here. And when quality is equal or better, I generally buy American. The SR1911 is well made.

Apocalypse-Now
June 1, 2011, 04:15 PM
^^right, i wasn't trying to infer the SR1911 wasn't quality. i was just rambling lol

Cards81fan
June 1, 2011, 04:25 PM
Slightly OT: All other things equal, I will have preference to buy American. Problem is that other things never are equal.

ohwell
June 1, 2011, 04:28 PM
"made in america" nowadays often means that the product was made by overpaid union workers that cannot be fired no matter how poorly they work. sad to say it, but it's true.
Your posts do get a little troll like you remind me of someone else that rags on everything Ruger in here but how many people are you trying to offend in here? I prefer made in America when I can get it and who's overpaid and who isnt should maybe be left out of this stuff.

Apocalypse-Now
June 1, 2011, 04:36 PM
Your posts do get a little troll like you remind me of someone else that rags on everything Ruger in here but how many people are you trying to offend in here? I prefer made in America when I can get it and who's overpaid and who isnt should maybe be left out of this stuff.

internet forums are for opinions. if you can't handle others', may shouldn't frequent them. you remind me of a whiny person that cries troll whenever someone's opinion isn't copacetic with theirs. ;)

357 Terms
June 1, 2011, 09:14 PM
^^^ THIS FORUM is called the High Road for a reason! Maybe YOU should frequent another!

918v
June 1, 2011, 09:28 PM
Whatever. Is Ruger even unionized?

I thought this thread was about the future of this firearm.

foolsgold80z
June 1, 2011, 09:56 PM
Man, talk about an off track thread. I'm happy that most owners are pleased with their SR1911's but I was not thrilled with the finish work in those photos. At that price, I suppose de-burring the slide isn't a huge ordeal but it should really happen during the machining process.
There is an old adage in the machining business regarding training that goes like this, "We can't let you put burrs on these parts until we train you to take them off". Maybe Ruger should look into this.
I believe they will sell all of these they can build. For now, I'm sticking with SA.

Apocalypse-Now
June 1, 2011, 10:18 PM
^^^ THIS FORUM is called the High Road for a reason! Maybe YOU should frequent another!

no, i think i'll stay here, if for no other reason than to delight you and your friend :D

357 Terms
June 1, 2011, 10:38 PM
LOL! thats big of you. :rolleyes:

ohwell
June 1, 2011, 10:50 PM
He does frequent other forums Im sure he'll soon be getting edited if he responds the same way in here he does in his other haunts.

Apocalypse-Now
June 1, 2011, 10:51 PM
:D:D no way! i have my own forum stalker now!

He does frequent other forums Im sure he'll soon be getting edited if he responds the same way in here he does in his other haunts.

please provide a link to the posts you just referenced in my "other haunts"....:confused: :)

Apocalypse-Now
June 1, 2011, 11:01 PM
still waiting, ohwell.....;)

or you're certainly welcome to admit you made baseless defamatory claims about me on "other haunts".

ohwell
June 1, 2011, 11:08 PM
naaa they can go to the survivalist forum and read it for themselves

Apocalypse-Now
June 1, 2011, 11:10 PM
LMAO i'm not on any "survivalist forum"

you crack me up, dude. you're ok :)

wow6599
June 1, 2011, 11:39 PM
Ruger will sell as many of these as they can produce for the first few years. You have millions of folks out there who are Ruger fans and will buy a SR1911 just because it's a Ruger, not because it's a 1911. It also has a good price point that will probably drop $50 after the initial craze wears off, plus it's supposedly 100% American - good to hear.

Me though, I don't have a thing against Brazilian steel, so Springfield will continue to get my business for "budget" 1911s.

Mas Ayoob has done a couple of sessions with the SA RO and had gotten average groups of 2" at 25 yards in the first test and in the latest test (free gun mag at Cabela's?) I read where he got something like a 4 shot group around (don't quote me) .75" and the fifth shot took it to the area of 1.25" at 25 yards. Crazy accurate for a $700 gun.

I'm trying to find the magazine now to give the exact numbers, but my point is this -
I will gladly spend $100 more for a forged 1911, assembled in Illinois, with a MUCH better warranty (it's in writing), much better CS and shoots as accurately as guns costing 2-3 times as much.

Hoth206
June 2, 2011, 12:07 AM
With ruger's history of aluminum casting...I wonder if a lightweight commander type would be do-able?

dcarch
June 2, 2011, 11:07 AM
I would like to see a model with an integral rail system attached, as most other "railed" models start at a price point much higher than I would like to pay. :what: If Ruger can create such a model and not make the rail nonstandard (take note, Taurus), than I believe a Ruger 1911 will be in my future. Of course, I am going to wait and make sure there aren't any major recalls. :D Anybody remember the infamous SR9 recalls? :rolleyes:

msparks
June 2, 2011, 11:15 AM
Talk about off topic.

I had forgot about the CCO sized guns. Thinking now that's what I would want for concealed carry. I like the idea of a shorter grip. I now carry a XD-45c with the shorter grip and it works great under a shirt.

RUT
June 2, 2011, 03:38 PM
>>You have millions of folks out there who are Ruger fans and will buy a SR1911 just because it's a Ruger, not because it's a 1911<<

That pretty much sums up my purchase of one. :)

Magnumite
June 4, 2011, 11:50 PM
Actually, "Made in USA" does mean quality. Some just don't keep up with current events...even in the auto industry.

Cast frames are every bit as durable as forged in the 1911 platform when proper alloys and machining are integrated. Caspian stopped producing bar stock frames because the cast frames are actually better. And guess who casts Caspian's frames...Sturm, Ruger Inc..

I will buy the SR1911, shoot it, and take it out for a stroll occasionally. It will be a collectible and great gun to boot. I don't see them being any less than they are now. Only better.

I'd even get the Commander sized gun from Ruger.

dhodgins
June 5, 2011, 10:41 AM
I just like black guns or black guns with stainless accents better.

I'm with ya on that one, but the stainless w/black is growing on me.

After 300 rounds out of my SR1911 I find myself desperate for Ruger to make 4.25" and 3" versions. Throw in a lightweight aluminum frame to sweeten the deal!

918v
June 5, 2011, 11:47 AM
Cast frames are every bit as durable as forged in the 1911 platform when proper alloys and machining are integrated.

What makes you think Ruger employed a proper alloy for this gun?

Dobe
June 5, 2011, 01:57 PM
I guess an equally valid question would be - what makes you think they did not?

Skylerbone
June 5, 2011, 02:07 PM
FYI all Ruger uses their proprietary 415 Stainless for the cast frame and machined the slide from bar stock 416.

918v
June 5, 2011, 03:10 PM
I guess an equally valid question would be - what makes you think they did not?

The galling.

Dobe
June 5, 2011, 08:15 PM
Are you judging all of the SR1911's by one? Ruger (Pine Tree Manufacturing) has had a lot of experience casting.

918v
June 5, 2011, 08:28 PM
One whose flaw was publically exposed. There are prolly dozens out there whose owners haven't noticed, don't know what it is, or have simply returned the gun without posting about it online.

floydster
June 5, 2011, 08:31 PM
I am buying a new SR 1911, wait, I'm buying one for my Son-In-Law and my daughter also---and I think my Son would like one also--can't go wrong with Ruger, so that makes four we are getting:neener:

918v
June 5, 2011, 08:38 PM
Maybe we could do a galling poll after more of them are out there.

ohwell
June 5, 2011, 08:38 PM
:rolleyes:As Soon as they come out with a commander I'm buying one of them to. Now that Skylarbone has let us know what steel Ruger uses maybe 918 can tell us what steel the other manufacturers use?

918v
June 5, 2011, 08:57 PM
I dunno what the other companies use.

According to Ed Harris (a former Ruger employee and the inventor of my favorite solvent), Ruger uses 415 in their barrels and cylinders due to the strength and hardness they can get out of it (35 RC min hardness). I do know 1911 slides are supposed to be in the 40 RC hardness range. If the frame is 415 and as hard as the slide the two will gall and maybe that's the problem.

918v
June 5, 2011, 09:03 PM
According to Brownells, Caspian uses 416 heat treated to 22 RC min for their frames. This is all making sense now.

HOOfan_1
June 6, 2011, 12:19 AM
One whose flaw was publically exposed. There are prolly dozens out there whose owners haven't noticed, don't know what it is, or have simply returned the gun without posting about it online.

Look around long enough on this site...and many others on the internet, and you will find some complaints about physical for pretty much EVERY model ever sold.

I've seen complaints of the M&P rusting. I've seen complains of Glocks going Kaboom. I've seen complaints of SIGs rusting or just having overall bad fit and finish.

Magnumite
June 6, 2011, 12:41 AM
Quote: "What makes you think Ruger employed a proper alloy for this gun?"

I'd say since Ruger does cast Caspian's frames, they have competent engineers, experience and tons of information and research they would know a sound alloy to use. The track record of Caspian's frame material is outstanding.

One can invent all kinds of reasons to slam a product, but the reasons may not necessarily be true.

918v
June 6, 2011, 12:48 AM
Ruger frames and Caspian frames are cast from different alloys, if they are indeed cast from 415 stainless.

whalerman
June 6, 2011, 01:01 AM
Usually a discussion like this gets shut down. I'm glad that is not the case this time. I'm learning from the exchange. I'm looking closely at this model. Could it be that this was an early issue and some of the manufacturing bugs had not yet been worked out?

Magnumite
June 6, 2011, 03:06 AM
"Ruger frames and Caspian frames are cast from different alloys, if they are indeed cast from 415 stainless."

Ruger is cast from 415, Caspian from 416. Those are the alloys. Perhaps a metallurgist can tell us the difference.

Skylerbone
June 6, 2011, 05:00 AM
Unfortunately as noted 415 SS is proprietary to Ruger which means a metallurgist would have to have access to the formula. I'm sure it's out there but I'm not sure anyone having experience with the composition will happen along here any time soon.

What troubles me is not galling but the fact that Ruger is supposed to have computerized equipment to verify tolerances for all major components of the SR1911. I'm now left wondering whether a batch sample is checked instead of every pistol. Combine that with their desire to produce a tight fit minus the hand fitting and there is potential to witness many more "stuck" slides.

I hope the problem witnessed by our fellow forum member is isolated though every manufacturer has a few slip past. My issue with Ruger of late is rushing to market half-cocked.

ISO1600
June 6, 2011, 08:06 AM
i think my SR's situation will wind up being either isolated or a verrrrrrry small minority. It had the most miniscule of burr(s) on the slide or frame, which i was not even able to see upon (admittedly not extremely careful) inspection. After proper lube and shooting, it is not a problem in the least anymore.
Ruger got back to me and told me that it should just be cosmetic, but if i ever have ANY problems with it again to send it their way and they'll make it right.
That is the answer i was expecting and hoping for. I'm sure had i contacted them right away before shooting it they would've said to send it in then and there.

Dobe
June 6, 2011, 09:18 AM
Great results from Ruger.

I'm now left wondering whether a batch sample is checked instead of every pistol. Combine that with their desire to produce a tight fit minus the hand fitting and there is potential to witness many more "stuck" slides.

QC does not check output, but the process instead. Deming, who is the father of QC stated that, if the processes are in line, the output is guaranteed. The measurement of each process is what is important. Checking the output adds cost, and actually insures rejects, in part because you are adjusting the process after the fact.

Therefore, each handgun should not be checked, but instread the process of casting, of milling, etc.

Skylerbone
June 6, 2011, 09:27 AM
By that reasoning there is a flaw in the process at Ruger. Ask a serious AR guy about his barrel and whether individual testing is important to him. He'll tell you who does and who doesn't.

918v
June 6, 2011, 02:57 PM
i think my SR's situation will wind up being either isolated or a verrrrrrry small minority. It had the most miniscule of burr(s) on the slide or frame, which i was not even able to see upon (admittedly not extremely careful) inspection. After proper lube and shooting, it is not a problem in the least anymore.

It prolly won't be a problem now that you have the lube figured out. My point is and always has been that Ruger should have employed an alloy that works with any lube, butter even.

I dunno why they decided to cast the frame from barrel steel.

Dobe
June 6, 2011, 08:03 PM
By that reasoning there is a flaw in the process at Ruger. Ask a serious AR guy about his barrel and whether individual testing is important to him. He'll tell you who does and who doesn't. I can't and won't argue that point. There is a flaw somewhere in "A" process, which allowed poor manufacturing of that gun.

As far as barrel makers go, smaller shops do more end testing, because the owner is generally owner operator, and therefore all processes are confned to one or a few personnel. Regardless, end testing is still the less efficient way to improve quality over all, and guarantees problems to be discovered after-the-fact, and after the process has been out-of-spec for a long period of time. This also results in higher manufacturing cost due to waste.

For example, by relying upon end inspections, three, five, or mabe fifteen handguns may make it down the assembly line before a problem is discovered. At that time, the process has varied yet again, and the QC expert is not sure where to start.

By measuring the variances of the processes, the out put is almost always guaranteed.

This is the last I will comment on QC, as I don't wish to high jack the thread. If you're truely interested in QC, read Out Of The Crisis By E. Deming; other readings by Juran are also suggested.

El Mariachi
June 6, 2011, 09:28 PM
whalerman

Usually a discussion like this gets shut down. I'm glad that is not the case this time. I'm learning from the exchange. I'm looking closely at this model. Could it be that this was an early issue and some of the manufacturing bugs had not yet been worked out?

And I agree----so many gun forums (Pro 2) are so anti Pro 1. Haven't quite figured that one out yet, because I really enjoy both 'spirited debate' and some harmless & entertaining 'stick pokin'. But whatever, taint my forum.

On a more serious note though, we went to the big Turner's Outdoors gun show in Corona, So Cal last Saturday to check everything out. Kinda cool, kinda pricey, kinda informative. But when I spied the Ruger kiosk I sped over there and asked the head guy about when the SR1911 was coming to California. And all he did was laugh. I asked what was the joke, and he told me that the 1911 will never be sold in Kali, 'cuz Ruger refuses to jump thru the hoops. So I mentioned the article I read a week ago, how Ruger wanted the NRA's help in selling one million firearms across America in one year, and how if that happened, Ruger would donate a million bucks to them. Furthermore I suggested that they could probably sell 20---40,000 SR1911's in Cali in a month, if they would just spend the little effort (and money) to get our stupid DOJ people to run the tests on them and get it listed on 'The Roster'.

He basically bid me adieu, and to have a nice day. Great. Maybe I'm missing something, but this doesn't smell right. Hell, in my business, if I knew I could invest just $8,000.00 and end up with 10 million buck plus in a year, I'd be all over it....:rolleyes:

DammitBoy
June 6, 2011, 09:35 PM
I agree with the Ruger Rep - to heck with California. You reap what you sow and now you're stuck with it.

I'm glad everytime I see a gun company or someone in the industry ignore California.

El Mariachi
June 6, 2011, 09:43 PM
Yeah,cuz capitalism sucks...in a capitalistic society.

Brilliant post there, DB.......

DammitBoy
June 6, 2011, 09:49 PM
Yeah,cuz capitalism sucks...in a capitalistic society.

Brilliant post there, DB.......

Thanks! You're very welcome. Indeed capitalism is great imho, and that's why I'm glad that those in the system send california the proper message.

ps - I was born and raised in SoCal and you couldn't pay me to live there now.

pps - I think I'll go support Ruger's decision to ignore Cali by going out and buying their 1911. :D

Apocalypse-Now
June 6, 2011, 09:53 PM
ronnie barret won't sell his 50bmg rifles to LE in Cali because the state won't allow private citizens to own them. nice to see stand up gun company owners like that.

i saw him on the military channel talking about it. big 2nd amen guy :)

Cali is an inflamed boil on the buttocks of the US. would never live there, so it doesn't bother me either if they can't buy guns i own. move.

DammitBoy
June 6, 2011, 09:55 PM
ronnie barret won't sell his 50bmg rifles to LE in Cali because the state won't allow private citizens to own them. nice to see stand up gun company owners like that.

i saw him on the military channel talking about it. big 2nd amen guy :)

Exactly! I wish I could afford to support Mr. Barrett's decision too! :D

El Mariachi
June 6, 2011, 09:57 PM
Dammit, Boy, but you are now dead to me......:D

PR-NJ
June 6, 2011, 10:11 PM
Back on target (pun intended) - I'd like to see a stock ambidextrous safety option. I'd buy one tomorrow if Ruger offered this feature.

Side note - I own four Rugers, two rifles and two handgus. They're all solid, reasonably priced firearms that perform well.

918v
June 7, 2011, 12:19 AM
Maybe I'm missing something, but this doesn't smell right. Hell, in my business, if I knew I could invest just $8,000.00 and end up with 10 million buck plus in a year, I'd be all over it....

In order for this Ruger to qualify for sale in CA it would need a magazine disconnect safety. How do you propose Ruger incorporate that into the SR1911?

El Mariachi
June 7, 2011, 12:48 AM
HellifIknow, I'm just an olde white trash carpenter.......:rolleyes:

mooner
June 7, 2011, 09:48 AM
Hello,

I have seen the pictures of the galling. I also just purchased an SR1911 and when I took it apart to clear before shooting I noticed some small scratches similar to the galling pictures, but not to the same extent. I also notices a thin, 1/4" long metal chip inside the gun. I also had similar burrs on the slide grooves in my gun.

From all of this, I surmised the chip was a burr that had come loose and the scratches were not galling, but scratches from the harder material of the burr getting caught between the softer slide and frame. Stoned to the slide to remove the burrs.

I have since shot around 100 rounds through the gun with no malfunctions and decent - for me - accuracy. No more scratches and the small ones that were present have been worn down from the gun breaking in.

From my perspective it is not galling, but scratches from the slide not being fully de-burred. I did notify Ruger of this and hopefully they will have it all worked out.

Thanks,

Andy

BBQLS1
June 7, 2011, 05:25 PM
Looking forward to a blued steel version. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger SR1911 future" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!