Problem with my Baby Eagle .45

PDA

light_fifty
May 27, 2011, 05:24 PM
Hi all, new to the forums.

I've had a Baby Desert Eagle (I prefer the name Jericho) for a few months now and have taken it to the range and already put around 200 rounds into it. For the whole time I've been having a problem with it working in single action. Basically the problem is that it never works.
So I'll have to basically pull the trigger when in single action to no avail, then I have to pull the trigger all the way in DA, and me, being a novice shooter, loose some of the smoothness and accuracy I could have had in SA, for it to finally fire.
The funny thing is is that when I try to loosen up my grip on the gun (aka pretty much limp-wristing), it'll work maybe 75% of the time in single action.

Any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Problem with my Baby Eagle .45" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
light_fifty
May 28, 2011, 12:29 PM
Nothing at all?

Shipwreck
May 28, 2011, 09:11 PM
I'd contact Magnum Research and send it in

schmeky
May 28, 2011, 10:12 PM
light fifty,

Depends on if it has a slide or a frame mounted safety. Also, sounds like your grip may be suspect. Has anyone else fired it?

Dimis
May 28, 2011, 10:26 PM
how old is the gun?
was it new or used?
have you done a good cleaning before firing the first time?
is any part of your hand contacting the hammer in single action?
while dry firing with an empty gun does the hammer come back farther in double action vs. single actions cocked position?

i suspect it would be either a week/broken hammer spring or drag from something slowing the hammer or a third option of the hammer notch for single action being too far forward for the firing pin

also has there been anything done to the gun

and lastly what kind of ammo are you using? it could be something as simple as hard primers

it could also be something in the firing pin channel dragging

if your knowledgeable enough to disassemble the pistol and check i would do so otherwise take it into someone who can (gunsmith/armorer) or send it back to magnum research or IWI depending on manufacturer

Lonestar49
May 29, 2011, 12:25 AM

Return spring replacement (being that it worked in SA 75% when shot one handed - as in limp wrist effect working)

Ls

light_fifty
May 29, 2011, 01:16 AM
Thanks for all of the replies, I'll try some of those suggestions.
Yes I did buy it used and no I don't think it's been modified. I've disassembled and cleaned it numerous times, and the only ammo I've been using is TulAmmo (I know, sketchy record), and Remington UMC ammo.

If you enjoyed reading about "Problem with my Baby Eagle .45" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!