Go ahead. Sleep with your gun!

PDA

KP95DAO
January 26, 2003, 02:58 PM
http://www.newsok.com/cgi-bin/show_article?ID=978355&TP=getarticle

Nap shot
A case study in why things you see in movies and on television shouldn't be tried at home:

About 11 p.m. Wednesday, Michael Don Wylie, 35, was trying to sleep on the couch in the 6000 block of W Hefner, but he just couldn't get comfortable, police said. The reason? He had his Rossi .357-caliber revolver on the couch, too, and every time he rolled over, it dug into his body.

Eventually he got sick of it, police said. Half-asleep, he grabbed the gun, intending to place it on a table. Instead, it went off, sending a single bullet into his upper left thigh. The projectile shattered the bone and moved down toward his knee before lodging beneath his flesh.

Wylie was hospitalized, in a great deal of pain, but the injuries were not life-threatening.

By the way, this is not a crime ridden nieghborhood.

If you enjoyed reading about "Go ahead. Sleep with your gun!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blackhawk
January 26, 2003, 03:04 PM
Stupid is as stupid does....

PATH
January 26, 2003, 03:04 PM
Always keep your gun in it's holster. Plain and simple advice!

Airwolf
January 26, 2003, 03:05 PM
That's why all loaded handguns I keep at hand are holstered. No execptions.

HS/LD
January 26, 2003, 03:10 PM
That is why it pays to not be an idiot.

HS/LD

Bainx
January 26, 2003, 03:23 PM
Note to myself: "Do not sleep with unholstered gun!"

ruger357
January 26, 2003, 03:32 PM
Ouch.

10-Ring
January 26, 2003, 04:08 PM
Geez, Darwin was right! :banghead: We need to start thinning the herd :evil:

Rangerover
January 26, 2003, 04:13 PM
A short time later, police said, Torres phoned the bank. He "stated that the robbery note was a joke, and he was only kidding."
I must admit I find it difficult to feel sorry for a wannabe criminal, but this poor doofus almost got to me. Oh well. He probably would've gotten liquored up and regained his nerve, eventually. ;)

BOBE
January 26, 2003, 04:17 PM
HS/LD,
What connection do you have with N.Z., if any? I spent time there in Oct-Dec, of 1961 and again in 1962. Was lucky to get to hunt there three times. To say that I had a great time would be an under statement.
I was there attatched to Operation Deep Freeze at McMurdo NAS Antartica.
Regards
Bob

dinosaur
January 26, 2003, 04:21 PM
Tsk tsk. Having unprotected er, something with his gun. No glove, no love.:evil:

12.7x99mm
January 26, 2003, 04:38 PM
I have 45 all the time under my pillow. Every night I make sure I clear the chamber and reset that round in the mag and the gun is empty for sleeping with. Then in the morning I rack it and take it with me. I’ve been doing this for years.

If my girl comes over she always asked if my bed is empty before she gets in and I show her where I keep that particular 45. Or unload it and put in the night stand.

Then she’s happy and comfortable.

People who shoot themselves or other people by accident… is because there not careful.

Plain a simple.

El Tejon
January 26, 2003, 04:42 PM
The gun rags strike again. So much for "Mexican" carry! Ouch.

Schuey2002
January 26, 2003, 05:07 PM
Hindsight is 20/20..:D

Gewehr98
January 26, 2003, 05:51 PM
:rolleyes:

BerettaNut92
January 26, 2003, 08:18 PM
Where do I get a holster for my M1A? :D

4v50 Gary
January 26, 2003, 08:42 PM
I've slept with my revolver in the sleeping bag in the woods. It goes on the side and stays there. Besides, sleeping atop of the gun has always been a no-no. After all, perspiration promotes rust.

Standing Wolf
January 26, 2003, 08:49 PM
I sleep on top of the mattress. The .357 magnum sleeps beneath the mattress. Separate, but equal.

Tamara
January 26, 2003, 09:08 PM
I knew there was a reason I kept that Beretta in a holster...

denfoote
January 27, 2003, 02:19 AM
I've slept with a pistol under my pillow for almost 20 years!! Doing so saved my butt when some goof tried to break in our back bedroom window whilst I was taking a nap!!! The cops found him cowering in the neighborhood about an hour later, no doubt with soiled trousers!!!! :D

Kahr carrier
January 27, 2003, 08:19 AM
Yikes that sounds painful bet he learned his lesson ,the hard way OUCH.;)

FPrice
January 27, 2003, 08:27 AM
"Where do I get a holster for my M1A?"

Watch "Mail Call" with Gunny R. Lee Ermey. He drives a jeep with a great scabbard arrangement for his M-1 Garand. Something like that on the side of your bed should work.

If you enjoyed reading about "Go ahead. Sleep with your gun!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!